3rd down

Up 14-0....choked it away. Up 24-17.....choked it away. The Chiefs did some good things in the game tonight. But Denver did them when it mattered most and that is the difference between being an "IS" and being a "WANNA BE".

Why change what you do when you have a lead?

Brain dead. Not converting a single third is pathetic

Up 14-0....choked it away. Up 24-17.....choked it away. The Chiefs did some good things in the game tonight. But Denver did them when it mattered most and that is the difference between being an "IS" and being a "WANNA BE".

Reid is too in love with passing when in the lead...  Hell I think he cost Philly a Super Bowl or two by being stubborn.

I like Alex Smith...but I cannot imagine Denver's game plan was to take Albert Wilson out of the offense. Alex does some good things but he is limited and I think we know what those limitations are.

I thought Fred Williams would have been a nice 2nd WR. Too bad he was cut.

If the Chiefs take care of the ball they win the game it's as simple as that. How many teams have ever turned it over 5 times and still won? I can't imagine too many. Then again...if the Chiefs had converted a third down or two there probably wouldn't have been enough time for Peyton to drive down late and score. Then again if....AWWWW SCREW IT!!

He plays in fear. Doesn't want to make a mistake. Plays not to lose. Looks for 1st option then runs. No progressions. Been saying this for a couple years

Very obvious tonight. This team will go nowhere with Smith. Im not saying the oline was not a huge problem. But I saw exactly what you pointed out. He is a choke.

For someone who plays in fear, Alex sure tossed two INTs. He got little time to set up for a long pass. He made his mistakes. It was a subpar game for a lot of players. Despite running for over 100 yards, Jamaal lost two fumbles, including the one that gave Denver their final score. DAT lost a fumble as well. There were four turnovers, and the Chiefs still had the game knotted until the final minute of play. Then came the fifth turnover, a fumble by Jamaal Charles with seconds remaining on the clock. 

Five turnovers for KC, and 1 for Denver. This game came down to a boneheaded call by Reid, and a boneheaded play by Charles in the final seconds of the game. Despite having a negative 4 on turnovers, the Chiefs were in this game until the very final moments. That tells me they are competitive with Denver. In fact, that tells me they are better than Denver, if not for the errors. Sean Smith returns soon. The Chiefs will be better as the season goes on. 

Keep the faith. 

I can't figure out if Alex Smith's refusal to go deep is an arm strength issue or a mental one.

I have to call out the Bronco fan: Smith threw the deepest completion of the game, and had three completions longer than Manning's longest. Smith didn't throw longer passes because his offensive line couldn't block Ware or Miller for enough ticks of the clock.

Some fans have a critical deficiency in their understanding of the principles of the West Coast Offense: YAC is more important than how far the ball travels. Why throw it 50 yards when you can throw it 10 and have 40 yards of daylight? Trying to infer a quarterback's competency merely by charting the depth of his completions is a fool's errand, as different schemes and different personnel are going to produce different charts.

If the Chiefs take care of the ball they win the game it's as simple as that. How many teams have ever turned it over 5 times and still won? I can't imagine too many. Then again...if the Chiefs had converted a third down or two there probably wouldn't have been enough time for Peyton to drive down late and score. Then again if....AWWWW SCREW IT!!

Because, darn it, Knile Davis left 2:27 on the clock when the Chiefs scored the go ahead touchdown.

Or maybe the Chiefs could have spelled their defense for two more minutes if De'Anthony Thomas hadn't dumped his punt return.

A simple look at the box score would tell you that Smith's offense secured one fewer first down than Manning's. That means that Smith actually produced more first downs per offensive drive than Manning. As always, people are freaking out about third down conversion rates (which were almost always long in the case of the Chiefs tonight), and paying no attention to the fact that Smith's offense was driving the ball down the field.

Five turnovers for KC, and 1 for Denver. This game came down to a boneheaded call by Reid, and a boneheaded play by Charles in the final seconds of the game. 

Keep the faith. 

Yes, if they were going to run the ball then they might as well taken a knee. You know what that playcall told me? It tells me Andy Reid has no faith in Alex Smith and the OL to pass the ball into field goal range and try to fucking win it. The guy is in love with passing the ball but refuses to take a chance when the game is on the line. That is what separates the greats from the wanna be's. Embarrassing to say the least. Just embarrassing. 

Long season ahead. Keep the faith and unless this OL finds its groove, we're doomed. 

I have to call out the Bronco fan: Smith threw the deepest completion of the game, and had three completions longer than Manning's longest. Smith didn't throw longer passes because his offensive line couldn't block Ware or Miller for enough ticks of the clock.

Some fans have a critical deficiency in their understanding of the principles of the West Coast Offense: YAC is more important than how far the ball travels. Why throw it 50 yards when you can throw it 10 and have 40 yards of daylight? Trying to infer a quarterback's competency merely by charting the depth of his completions is a fool's errand, as different schemes and different personnel are going to produce different charts.

Call me out all you like, but you aren't seriously comparing Smith to Manning, right?  I mean, Manning has spent two decades shredding NFL defenses while aggressively attacking down the field.  He is at the end of his career now, and doesn't have the arm anymore, that is HIS limitation.  Smith should be in his prime, but he still checks down, year after year.  I agree with dhitter, it's mental, he is simply a dink and dunk QB.

The biggest difference in this game was Fleming #30.  Manning time and again went after him and won.  It was ridiculous how many times they threw his way.  Peters was holding his own and then some.  

Manning knew the weakness and attacked attacked attacked..

Guess we will see in round 2 if Sean Smith will make the difference or not??

Archived