Characterization of the Game

Manning obviously had the better game and is the better QB and out of both QBs last scoring drives, Manning's was best QB-wise. But when the game was tied, Smith and the offense drove down the field and scored, using a 3-4 minute drive, running out as much clock as it could without resorting to Eli Manning stupidness (telling the RB not to score). Manning drove down the field in a 2-minute offense, using nearly all of the 2:27 given to him. Smith gets 36 seconds in which there were two plays run before the fumble and it's compared to the two minutes Manning got to do the same thing the Chiefs did the prior possession (drive down and score)?

Both QBs scored when it needed to, one with six to go with the purpose of doing it slowly and one designed to do it quickly. One with 2 minutes when it needed it and used almost all of it. Then, one QB has his defense score on a fumble return and the other loses on said play. Manning heroics. If the defense held or Charles not fumble, it could have been the offense winning drive we remember.

Seriously, OT is "given" to Denver when we don't know what would happen if we went there.

Again, better game went to Manning, better QB, too. Smith had one INT that was on him and the playcall, Manning has his pick six. I know the better QB performance team won, but this miraculous scoring drive to win the game is not that - it was to TIE the game and both QBs scored when it needed to. Smith didn't need to score on the last 30 seconds until after the fumble return. The difference is Smith didn't have Fleming bail his INT out nor an Anderson fumble to win.

Wait, Smith didn't need to score? Let me explain.

There are strong doubts that two minutes would suddenly turn into a Chiefs TD, but you can't compare 2:27 needing a TD with 0:36 needing to not turn the ball over and the goal of a field-goal.

It's been done before, and Smith is not great, but it's a standard that shouldn't be applied the same way when OT was an option and the one thing we didn't need was a TO. I know we could've driven down for the field-goal, and that should be the goal, as opposed to needing a touchdown like Manning did. But again, when the game is tied and a turnover loses the game (their kicker makes 50+ yard field goals), and you have overtime as an option, you're not going to risk too much. I don't think Reid thought he was risking much by running Charles there.

Again, I do place blame on Smith for not winning, I just don't focus on the last drives as if they are comparable. Manning's drive was great QB-wise to tie the game. Smiths drive was great offensively as a team to what should have won the game. If Smith had done a play or two different we'd win, as such is all last second wins. If Reid did this differently, if Charles didn't fumble twice, if Jah Reid blocked 0.4 seconds longer, if we had waited for the two minute warning of the first half, etc. All have blame, but not calling Manning's drive game winning or giving him credit for the fumble return.

Sorry, had to get that out. Have stayed off for the most part. Blame for everyone, including Smith. Manning's drive was great and is better than Smith and his drive, more clutch time-wise, just don't like the characterization of the game as Manning saved when it was Manning tied and a QB-neutral game winner.

This is eerily similar to the first San Diego game last year or 2013 where we scored on offense right before the defense gave it away in under 100 seconds (the offense as a whole was better that year in that game and the defense was better this game). While there is blame for everybody, it seems like when we really need it, our defense is hit or miss but prior good play helps excuse it. They have won games like the Seattle game. They did hold off Buffalo after Smith's rushing touchdown gave us the lead. They kept us in this game despite the four prior turnovers.

They are the strongest unit on our team, so I'm not trying to blame them. I'm just talking about the characterization of the final quarter of the game. We look at the offense's failure to score on the last drive because of the multiple games we had last year where we lost under similar structure of less than two minutes to go. We just ignore the prior drive before the last drive. We ignore when we give the other team lead.

I kind of get what you're saying.  This is just my opinion, but I think Alex Smith is physically and mentally capable of being a elite QB. He just seems to be missing that extra something. The best way I could describe it a combination of strong confidence in himself football-wise and a not giving a "F" attitude.  

He seems like the type that would have to get really pissed off, to bring that I out him. 

I kind of get what you're saying. This is just my opinion, but I think Alex Smith is physically and mentally capable of being a elite QB. He just seems to be missing that extra something. The best way I could describe it a combination of strong confidence in himself football-wise and a not giving a "F" attitude.

He seems like the type that would have to get really pissed off, to bring that I out him.

He seemed pretty pissed off here. I feel he had something to prove. Remember, this was the game that sparked the whole Saints playing for injury case.

Watch the whole thing, but take a look after the touchdown. Something must have been said to him or he had a dirty hit before - he's jawing:

This was just a minute after this:

They used to have the whole 4 minutes on YouTube, but the NFL removed it. He made Manning's drive on Thursday look inefficient. Deep after deep throw.

After the long run, my Niner friend texted me that the stupid Niners left too much time left over for elite Brees. Then, Smith scored after Brees and he texted, stupid Saints left too much time left over for elite Smith (sarcasm about the elite, of course).

Yes that year they lost the NFC championship in OT because the punt returner fumbled the ball deep in their own half. I too believe Smith has the talent to take his team to the Superbowl, and part of the reason for his poor performance against Denver was Andy Reid. If the Chiefs were trailing by a fieldgoal in that final drive we would not have seen a run play.

Conservative playcalling in critical situations presents a lack of trust for Smith. And it wasn't just the final drive. 

5 turnovers goes beyond coaching. You can't formulate a gameplan to overcome 5 turnovers, even though they almost did.

You can't be that careless and that's on the players.

Alex Smith isn't and will never be an elite QB. He doesn't have the composure or elite arm strength and accuracy to be one.

This team has got it wrong at some critical spots on offense.

We've committed long term to a stopgap QB and overpaid twice for his services. 2 2nd round picks, one being nearly a 1, was way too much. The extension was too much.

We're into year three and they haven't actively tried to shore up the number 2 WR spot.

The starting Offensive Line has almost been completely different from year to year, which I shouldn't have to explain how that's a disaster. None of the starting lineup from 13 is the same in 15.

The QB suffers from the OLine and the OLine suffers because of the QB. They both suck.

The Chiefs are stuck in Martyball again and still haven't and will not grow the balls to make a power move to get out of the slump.

Even at 39 and taking a beating, brokedick Peyton was still better than Alex. We are relying on our rookie Center to handle protection calls as our 10+ year vet can't.

5 turnovers goes beyond coaching. You can't formulate a gameplan to overcome 5 turnovers, even though they almost did.

You can't be that careless and that's on the players.

Alex Smith isn't and will never be an elite QB. He doesn't have the composure or elite arm strength and accuracy to be one.

This team has got it wrong at some critical spots on offense.

We've committed long term to a stopgap QB and overpaid twice for his services. 2 2nd round picks, one being nearly a 1, was way too much. The extension was too much.

We're into year three and they haven't actively tried to shore up the number 2 WR spot.

The starting Offensive Line has almost been completely different from year to year, which I shouldn't have to explain how that's a disaster. None of the starting lineup from 13 is the same in 15.

The QB suffers from the OLine and the OLine suffers because of the QB. They both suck.

The Chiefs are stuck in Martyball again and still haven't and will not grow the balls to make a power move to get out of the slump.

Even at 39 and taking a beating, brokedick Peyton was still better than Alex. We are relying on our rookie Center to handle protection calls as our 10+ year vet can't.

Smith doesn't suck, I'll leave your opinion that he isn't good enough alone. Smith has been noted for being one of the better pre-snap reading QBs, so he can and does make protection calls, he just doesn't have the oline, as players in position to block are just being beat, either by strength or at time simple techniques that inexperienced players fall victim to.

His accuracy may be limited distance wise because of how long it takes to get a pass deep with his velocity, but he's been noted for his accuracy (not just for dump offs) and does have tight window throws at times - it's a choice not to squeeze too many in those tight windows, not an accuracy issue.

Smith is not sealed as a stopgap, finishing his contract would suggest against that if he does. He definitely could be cut or traded before then, but he has time, though unlikely, to earn an extension. But I'll leave your opinion as such.

Nice rant, but really?  Some people are just whiners and wanna be experts.

At least most of the Alex-haters have been marginalized as an asterisk on discussion boards. Most of the rest of them live in San Francisco, and in about four weeks they're going to realize just how much they miss Alex Smith.

You can't name more than three quarterbacks that could have played behind that offensive line and against the Denver defense on Thursday night and would have done as well as Smith did. Squeezing the most out of less-than-less-than-less-than-ideal circumstances is what Smith does better than just about anyone else in the league.

Alex Smith sucks and was outplayed by an old man that this board claimed was washed up.

He doesn't suck and he outplayed Drew Brees in the playoffs, would that make him better than Brees? Nope, as one game is not proof of anything. Manning is already better for who he is, not because of this game. Better quarterback and worse quarterbacks lose and win games, so I'm not going to take much proof from one game. All it really means is that Manning isn't washed up or wasn't washed up for this game, and he's better than Smith. Did anyone argue that? None of the stuff or this game proves that Smith sucks. It's your opinion and you can keep saying it, it doesn't make it any of it near true.

I don't really care what he did in SF and the Saints had an alltime worst D basically.

The lack of WR TDs, the fact that Maclin is going to rot in KC and the many 3rd down struggles tell the story on why Alex sucks.

Ehh, he doesn't suck. When judging a quarterback, of course, what he does in a game matters even when he didn't play for your team. We can go around and around on this, he doesn't suck, you're over-compensating/exaggerating, it's your opinion.

It sure is and he has basically sucked in a Chiefs uniform. Stats don't lie and a lot of stats would say he sucks and a lot of analysts would say he sucks. Why? Because he sucks.

I'm not a closet 49ers fan so I don't give a **** what he did in SF. 49ers refugees need to go back.

You are a fan of a "game" that doesn't even exist. Statistics on their own don't say much about a player, especially a quarterback on teams as lopsided as the ones Smith has played for in every year of his career. Is a team heavily invested in its defense rather than its offense? You can be sure that the quarterback's job is different in that case than it would be in the case of a team which has primarily invested in its offense.

It's good to know folks like myself aren't wanted by you, but again, your extreme opinions represent you alone, so your feelings about me are essentially weightless. In the process of insulting a segment of the Chiefs' fanbase, you made yourself look both ignorant about football and not particularly good as a human being.

Not getting WR Tds and the ball more is on Reid he needs to open this offense up more and take some chances downfield!! I dont care if Smith throws 14-15 ints if it means better offense and he goes for 3800 yds and 25-30 tds

You are a fan of a "game" that doesn't even exist. Statistics on their own don't say much about a player, especially a quarterback on teams as lopsided as the ones Smith has played for in every year of his career. Is a team heavily invested in its defense rather than its offense? You can be sure that the quarterback's job is different in that case than it would be in the case of a team which has primarily invested in its offense.

It's good to know folks like myself aren't wanted by you, but again, your extreme opinions represent you alone, so your feelings about me are essentially weightless. In the process of insulting a segment of the Chiefs' fanbase, you made yourself look both ignorant about football and not particularly good as a human being.

Statistics won't tell you the whole story, but it will tell you a lot. Statistics tell you a lot about Alex.

Also teams that he's played on invest heavy on Defense for a reason.

Number one, if you did any studying, you would know that it costs more to maintain a good 3-4 squad. He's been on 2 squads with a high ranked 3-4 D, so wow what do you know!

Number two, Alex isn't going to put the team on his back and win. He's done it like one game out of his post 10 year career. Your Defense has to be loaded because he's a caretaker at best.

You're not even a Chiefs fan, just a #11 fanboi and are devoid of any logical thinking.

Also yes I will gladly disparage 49ers fans. They are just Raider fans that didn't want to wear a stupid gorilla costume. They can't help but assault fans and they are big turds. Real talk.

Not getting WR Tds and the ball more is on Reid he needs to open this offense up more and take some chances downfield!! I dont care if Smith throws 14-15 ints if it means better offense and he goes for 3800 yds and 25-30 tds

Eli Manning, 2014: 31 total touchdowns, 14 interceptions (18 total turnovers), over 4,400 passing yards. His team went 6-10.

Matt Ryan, 2014: 28 total touchdowns, 14 interceptions (16 total turnovers), almost 4,700 passing yards. His team went 6-10 in a division where 7-8-1 went to the playoffs.

Ben Roethlisberger, 2013: 29 total touchdowns, 14 interceptions (20 total turnovers), over 4,200 passing yards. His team went 8-8.

Philip Rivers, 2012: 26 total touchdowns, 15 interceptions (22 total turnovers), just over 3,600 passing yards. His team went 7-9.

Eli Manning, 2012: 26 total touchdowns, 15 interceptions (16 total turnovers), over 3,900 passing yards. His team went 9-7.

Over three seasons, four different quarterbacks had stat lines like the one you put up as an example of something "better" than what the Chiefs have, and guess what? None of those quarterbacks' teams saw post-season action. Of these five samples, all had multiple one-score losses that each involved at least one quarterback turnover. Imagine what might have happened if in that one instance, the quarterback had protected the football.

I believe you put too little a cost to turnovers for the sake of aggressive offensive play. Turnovers are a momentum killer, and they often make the difference between a win and a loss in a close game. Sometimes it's better to protect the football, not risk a turnover, and avoid putting your defense in a bad spot.

It sure is and he has basically sucked in a Chiefs uniform. Stats don't lie and a lot of stats would say he sucks and a lot of analysts would say he sucks. Why? Because he sucks.

I'm not a closet 49ers fan so I don't give a fuck what he did in SF. 49ers refugees need to go back.

No he doesn't. And I'm not a closet 49ers fan or a 49ers refugee. My uncle introduced me to the Chiefs when I was young and as a USC alum, I was hoping Cassel would pan out. Since he was always on the bench in USC and had one year in NE's system, I didn't know how he would do here.

If Jenkins doesn't step out of bounds, doesn't trip on the 1 yard line, if receivers don't drop the ball near the end zone, would Smith be any better of a quarterback? No. The fact that all these receivers do that and it leads to this, doesn't make me put much weight on the zero number. It's a low regardless, but the zero I don't buy. If a player lined up as a receiver, runs a route like a receiver, and is defended as like a receiver and he catches a touchdown, that should count, after all, when Maclin was lined up as a running back and cut touchdown, someone disclaimed it. When receiver catches a 3 yard pass a takes it to the house, that doesn't mean the quarterbacks any better. The fact that they don't take it to the house doesn't make Smith any worse.

My characterization of the game???

5 turnovers!!!

And Reid and Sutton.

That should say enough as to why the chiefs lost. Denver did their part by taking advantage of the mistakes.

Reid for all his of shitty playcalling..(although, I'm starting to get used to it)

And Sutton, for his pure and plain stubbornness. Every 3rd down, Peyton went to whomever Flemming was on. Over and Over and Over again! Sutton, just keeps the guy out there. Instead of making some sort of adjustment or providing him with some help, it seems like he just crosses his fingers and hopes that Flemming has sort of "revelation" and plays better the next play!!

Peyton will find the weak spot, and arrogantly, exploit it. If we are too damn stupid to change it up, then he will pick on it the entire game. I mean, c'mon man....Even the broadcasters were calling the plays on 3rd down..Stating that Peyton was going to go Sanders, because Flemming was on him.

The chiefs are the better team, and we should've won. But with 5 turnovers, and a bad coaching night, we won't win many games against anyone.

Thank you, and that is all.

Statistics won't tell you the whole story, but it will tell you a lot. Statistics tell you a lot about Alex.

Also teams that he's played on invest heavy on Defense for a reason.

Number one, if you did any studying, you would know that it costs more to maintain a good 3-4 squad. He's been on 2 squads with a high ranked 3-4 D, so wow what do you know!

Number two, Alex isn't going to put the team on his back and win. He's done it like one game out of his post 10 year career. Your Defense has to be loaded because he's a caretaker at best.

You're not even a Chiefs fan, just a #11 fanboi and are devoid of any logical thinking.

Also yes I will gladly disparage 49ers fans. They are just Raider fans that didn't want to wear a stupid gorilla costume. They can't help but assault fans and they are big turds. Real talk.

Two things.

First, all arguments against Smith rest on statistics. Throw the statistics out the window as a basis for comparison, and there is nothing left to base the criticism on other than some measurables that Smith seems to do quite fine in working around. On the other side of the argument, you have Smith's value in trade (two second-round picks, indicating confidence in his skill set), Smith's clutch play in the post-season (neither of his two losses were on him), and Smith's play as a winning quarterback in general. His role in reversing the Chiefs' fortunes from 2012 to 2013 was unprecedented.

Second, I haven't been a 49ers fan since 2013. Regardless of how I got to be here rooting for the Chiefs, my opinions concerning the Chiefs are no less valid than yours, although they are far more substantiated by relevant evidence.

I'll throw in a third point. Some of San Francisco's fans may be misguided about what makes a great quarterback in the modern era of football, and a tiny fraction of them, for whatever reason, seem to have some anger issues that have manifested themselves in a way in which they merit significant prison time, but you continue to throw out one-liners in a pattern that indicates that you prejudge pretty much everyone that disagrees you and everyone that is not just like you. By doing so, everyone can infer that you truly believe that you are the only one that can be right, and anyone with a different opinion than yours is wrong.

I believe I'm just going to ignore you from this point forward. Your tendency to provoke users here is a bad that greatly outweighs the good of what little rational debate you bring to the table.

Archived