Alex Smith lacks...

Guest RW

Definition of an elite NFL QB? Mine is simple. A guy who can drive the field in the final 2 minutes to a win. 2d criteria: A guy who can play well from behind on the scoreboard. Sorry folks..that is not Alex.

I'm new here, obviously, not looking for fights but wanted to state an opinion.

No need to be politically correct or afraid to piss off anyone....you're on point! 

I agree with your criteria and I'm convinced Alex Smith can not lead a team down field in a 2 minute situation or bring a team from behind beyond 10 points.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Former...You are the man....no question about that.....but....

I guess that Giants Playoff Game I went to at Candlestick was a dream.  I would have sworn on a stack of bibles tht Alex Smith hit Vernon Davis a few times with deep balls and just kept bringing the Niners back...with absolutely impossible throws with guys in his grill.....Somebody kept dropping punts and the Gmen kept clawing back...

w

No need to be politically correct or afraid to piss off anyone....you're on point! 

I agree with your criteria and I'm convinced Alex Smith can not lead a team down field in a 2 minute situation or bring a team from behind beyond 10 points.

Former DB is reminds me of Ms Vito in the Movie My Cousin Vinny...bottom line ..his opinion "HOLDS WATER"!

Hey Former...You are the man....no question about that.....but....

I guess that Giants Playoff Game I went to at Candlestick was a dream. I would have sworn on a stack of bibles tht Alex Smith hit Vernon Davis a few times with deep balls and just kept bringing the Niners back...with absolutely impossible throws with guys in his grill.....Somebody kept dropping punts and the Gmen kept clawing back...

w

It was the Saints, not the Giants. One might say that it's only one game, but when you say cannot, that's an absolute. One game refutes the cannot. Besides, it's not the only game that he came back from. He beat Andy Reid's Eagles coming back down from 23. In his bad years, the two minute drill was his best because he had nothing to lose at that point.

One thing that I am happy about is that the line is pretty good for a new group. They didn't even get preseason to play together at theses positions. I think that these guys will be very respectable by playoff time. We just have to figure out a way to go 4-4 early and not kill Smith and Charles.

A RT off the street, a Canadian doctor at RG, a rookie at Center, and a guy that couldn't get on the field with the worst Oline in the league playing in front of him. And we almost won the game against a top 3 pass rushing D and QB that has never lost the division in his life. I am optimistic, to say the least.

I agree that the oline is important,very important. Having said that, QB's like Manning or Aaron Rodgers have not always had great onlines and still excel. I seem to remember one season where Rodgers was the most sacked QB in the league yet still threw for like 4000 yards. 

The year was 2012. Aaron Rodgers put up 4,295 passing yards and 39 touchdowns despite being sacked 51 times. His team went 11-5 with a points allowed total that was the league's 11th best. The Packers won in the Wild Card Playoff against a Minnesota team that scored 10 points. They ended up losing in the following round to the San Francisco 49ers in the Packernick game. Green Bay's strength of schedule that year was the 14th toughest in the league, as was their strength of victory.

Rodgers directed an aerial offense that featured Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, James Jones, and Jermichael Finley. Pass attempts and sacks represented 58.4% of the Packers' offensive plays. The Packers put up 49 offensive touchdowns over the course of 1,042 plays.

That situation is not comparable to Smith's in any phase of his career. Smith has never had a receiver corps as deep as what Rodgers played with in that year. The 2015 Chiefs have Jeremy Maclin (who is somewhat more valuable today than Jordy Nelson was in 2012), while 2015 Travis Kelce still needs to earn the respect given to 2012 Jermichael Finley. A trio of 2012 Greg Jennings, 2012 Randall Cobb, and 2012 James Jones are far superior to the threesome of 2015 Jason Avant, 2015 Albert Wilson, and 2015 De'Anthony Thomas.

Some quarterbacks have put up strong statistical marks despite poor showings by their offensive line, but they never accomplished that feat without a talented receiver corps. I've readily acknowledged that Jeremy Maclin is the most talented and most complete receiver Alex Smith has ever worked with, and having him on the field along with Travis Kelce is very nice. We all hope that some of the other receivers will learn to execute the West Coast Offense effectively, but one pseudo-top-tier wide receiver in Maclin and one ascending tight end in Kelce by themselves do not an elite wide receiver corps make.

In his bad years, the two minute drill was his best because he had nothing to lose at that point. his head coaches couldn't get in the way of sound play calling.

Fixed.

Mike Singletary was an awful, awful, awful head coach. He was so bad, he will likely never have another head coaching job in the NFL. He'll get interviews due to the Rooney Rule, but his record and conduct with the 49ers will continue to be a millstone around his neck. Mike Nolan is another has-been at the head coach position. His handling of Alex Smith's shoulder injury in 2007 will stand as a warning to any General Manager considering his hiring.

A RT off the street, a Canadian doctor at RG, a rookie at Center, and a guy that couldn't get on the field with the worst Oline in the league playing in front of him. And we almost won the game against a top 3 pass rushing D and QB that has never lost the division in his life. I am optimistic, to say the least.

I'm going to miss my old signature, but this is just epic.

Week 1 the passing game looked much improved. Week 2 it didn't. I don't think there is enough data to support your conclusion, unless you solely focus on the Denver game.

Need to spread it around more for sure. Teams can't sit on things. They need to make it a concern for others teams by at least attempting to go to all the WR.

Need to spread it around more for sure. Teams can't sit on things. They need to make it a concern for others teams by at least attempting to go to all the WR.

In addition to the five players that registered receptions last week, Smith attempted passes to Albert Wilson and Travis Kelce. Smith has an excellent reputation for spreading the ball around, which in turn leads to the stereotype that no wide receiver can accumulate big yardage with Smith throwing to them.

Actually, you throw to the receivers that are winning their battles. Spreading the ball around for the sake of spreading the ball around can be counter-productive.

What Alex Smith did for SF several years ago means absolutely nothing in the here and now.

I stand by my claim, that he cannot lead this team in a crucial 2 minute situation or a large deficit.

How many of you think he can do what Payton did to the Chiefs Thursday????....huh???

We saw what he did before the half.

Also...Andy Reid can be a jackass with his play calling.

I think when/if Fisher gets his game back on track, and once Conley is inserted full time, this offense and Alex will be performing at high level.

I think so, too.  His ankle will heal.  Can't have a huge gap at RT.  Not in the NFL.

As for Conley, he is a key guy on ST right now.  Its not like he is not contributing.

What Alex Smith did for SF several years ago means absolutely nothing in the here and now.

I stand by my claim, that he cannot lead this team in a crucial 2 minute situation or a large deficit.

How many of you think he can do what Payton did to the Chiefs Thursday????....huh???

Also...Andy Reid can be a jackass with his play calling.

No, what a player does mean something. An ability is something that somebody can do, and when somebody says he cannot, they're wrong. He does it in the playoffs were there was more pressure than Week 2. And still it wasn't the only time he's done it. You can stand by whatever you want to say, it's wrong. It's that simple, it's not like his age is so old but he can't do something physically that is what only a young person can do.

Peyton Manning did not score with 36 seconds. He scored in over a minute. Manning tied the game, he didn't win it. The defenders who poked the ball out and that took back the fumble won it. Smith's offense scored the touchdown that required a tie. If Charles doesn't fumble, none of us know what would happen. We could've won the coin toss and score a touchdown. We, of course, could have thrown a pick six to lose it. We could've lost the coin toss and had Denver score a touchdown first to end the game.

Stephenson ranks top 7 at T

Morse ranks top 8 at C

Grubbs ranks top 15 at G

Tardif ranks top 31 out of 71 at G

Reid ranks 11 from the bottom at T

This OL has played against two of the top 5 front 7 in the league back to back. They are not the problem.

Alex ranks -0.9 or 16 out of 35 quarterbacks.

Stephenson ranks top 7 at T

Morse ranks top 8 at C

Grubbs ranks top 15 at G

Tardif ranks top 31 out of 71 at G

Reid ranks 11 from the bottom at T

This OL has played against two of the top 5 front 7 in the league back to back. They are not the problem.

Alex ranks -0.9 or 16 out of 35 quarterbacks.

Of course, this is true if you actually agree with everything from Pffft.

Sorry, but I can't get behind artificially generated algorithms that have an inherent bias for or against certain schemes and for or against certain situations. I saw with my own eyes how leaky that right side was, and the left side wasn't that great, either. I also saw Smith getting hammered while throwing clutch completions. That's not worth anything to Pffft.

eraser, your ability to evaluate player efficacy is good enough that you don't need to resort to Pffft for validation of any sort. Stick with what you saw. It was a whole lot more relevant and accurate.

I could find other examples, but this was the most recent. Classic, end-of-game Peyton Manning pick-six madness.

Don't tell me that Alex Smith throws ill-timed interceptions but Peyton Manning doesn't. That's not true. The difference between Manning's game against the Bengals and Manning's game against the Chiefs is that when Manning's passes hit the Bengals' defenders in the hands, they didn't drop the ball.

You're quite obviously new to Alex-bashing. The best of the Alex-haters don't need to resort to outright untruths to produce a convoluted, ultimately cyclical logic that condemns Alex Smith because he is in fact Alex Smith.

Smith needs to play better. No doubt. I think he will. Denver was bad, but he played very well the week before. I think it is telling that his Oline played much better the first week than the second.

He is not Peyton or Rogers who can throw for 400 behind a bad line. But nobody is. He will be fine.

Baltimore won it with Dilfer so I guess there is hope.

Someone would retort that rings aren't won by running the ball anymore and Baltimore's defense was greater than ours right now, but I feel Smith is better than Dilfer and we pass a bit more. So it stands that we could win that way... or we could win if the line progresses, WRs complement each other, and must win stops by the defense, unlike San Diego in 2013 or the Denver game this year, are stopped like the Seattle game last year.

Of course, this is true if you actually agree with everything from Pffft.

Sorry, but I can't get behind artificially generated algorithms that have an inherent bias for or against certain schemes and for or against certain situations. I saw with my own eyes how leaky that right side was, and the left side wasn't that great, either. I also saw Smith getting hammered while throwing clutch completions. That's not worth anything to Pffft.

eraser, your ability to evaluate player efficacy is good enough that you don't need to resort to Pffft for validation of any sort. Stick with what you saw. It was a whole lot more relevant and accurate.

My evaluation of Stephenson is exactly where PFF has him. My evaluation of Grubbs is the same. My evaluation of Morse is a little lower than what they have him. My evaluation of LDT is close. My evaluation of Reid is a little lower than what they gave, but close. 

Reid faced some really tough competition two weeks in a row. He got beat like a drum against Houston, but that was to be expected. Everyone said look how well he has played. I did not buy the company line on that. He sucks right now. Reid seems to be a guy who has not developed for some reason or the other. Baltimore is good at developing offensive lineman. I don't know why he hasn't learned better technique, but he looks like he is playing on skates. We will see how long he lasts, or if KC can turn him around. He does have talent. 

LDT lacks experience. He is smart, and has good muscle memory. He seems to learn quickly. He has very strong core, and he moves good enough. He moves a lot better than Fulton. Last year, the team tried to sell us on Zach Fulton. Fulton got a lot of help and still was bad. This year, he was beat out by a guy who played sandlot football as a youth, and learned to play football at a Canadian university. Tardif was extremely raw. I heard the hype, but when I saw him last season, I walked away with disbelief. He was much more unprepared than I expected. I wrote him off. This year, he has gotten dramatically better. He still gets beat with poor footwork, but it is improving. He is already to the level of an average Guard in the NFL. That is scary, considering the lack of experience. I think you ride this out. Maybe Allen steps in, and takes his place, but I doubt it. He is a lot stronger than Allen, and is nearing the level where he is better overall. 

Morse blew a few plays at Houston. He was matched up against one of the best NT in the league. He also did some very special things that showed me he has that special quality. He seems very smart. Pretty soon we will be thinking Hudson who? I think he is faster, quicker, and maybe as strong as Hudson. His awareness is what really makes me a believer. I threw off on the pick. I was wrong. Morse could be a probowl player for many years, if he continues to make strides. 

Stephenson is in a contract year. It leaves me a little dubious to think he finally gets it this year. He has been consistent for the first time in his career. Now, he has only played two games this season, but the improvement is remarkable. The toughness he has shown tells me he has changed. He seems to fight harder, and is not getting bull rushed like he was in the past. 

Grubbs is playing better than he has in the past two seasons. He is not the best player on the offensive line. I would have to give that honor to Stephenson. 

Monday, the Chiefs play Green Bay. I think our offensive line will do much better against their front seven. If they can handle Houston and Denver, GB is going to be much easier by comparison. Matthews will be a challenge. He no longer plays OLB, but has moved inside for all but 2 plays this season. Morse vs Raji will be a key. The Packers have gotten penetration from Raji, and Matthews has found success splitting the gaps between the Guard and Center. This will be a supreme test for the Chiefs. Peppers was on a downward spiral at Chicago, but has reversed that trend at Green Bay. Still, he is showing his age. 2.5 sacks this season. 

Archived