Alex Smith lacks...

Guest RW

I think the past DOES matter....The past earns free agents BIG contracts, the past is what differentiates a First Round Pick from a UDFA.

I am not saying Smith is a SuperStar....I am saying He Is Good Enough.

You can't pay superstars at every position...

KC should be a Playoff Team this year....they should improve every week as the O-line Gels and Sean Smith Returns.

As I said a week ago, it way too soon to get excited one way or another.

w

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the past DOES matter....The past earns free agents BIG contracts, the past is what differentiates a First Round Pick from a UDFA.

I am not saying Smith is a SuperStar....I am saying He Is Good Enough.

You can't pay superstars at every position...

KC should be a Playoff Team this year....they should improve every week as the O-line Gels and Sean Smith Returns.

As I said a week ago, it way too soon to get excited one way or another.

w

Before anyone says we are paying Smith as a SuperStar, he's tied for 15th highest QB before Luck signs his extension (then he'll be 16th). This is with Brady going the low route because of who he's married to.

I even heard people who wanted to extend him griping about his contract in 2013/14 when he was making half of what he makes now. How cheap would that have been? If it were all guaranteed, we could have gotten a lower number, but a GM has to hedge his bets with partially guaranteed contracts.

Guest okiechief

I said I would give Alex the full season before making any judgments for a couple reasons.    

The weapons they were rolling out there weren't good enough.   Alex had a guy that is having trouble staying on the roster in Clev as his primary weapon in the passing game for the majority of his time here.   Manning and Rogers have always had solid weapons in the passing game.  2006 Brady had Reche Caldwell as his primary WR and he threw for a little over 3500 yds and 24 TDs, those numbers are pretty damn close to what Alex produced with maybe a little bit better weapons but it shows that even a future HOF needs guys around him to produce wether it be over the course of the season or even coming from behind or in a 2 min drill.  People thought Brady was done last year till Gronk then low and behold he gets a playmaker back and all of sudden he starts looking better.  Funny how that works, that even the best of QBs need playmakers to help.  

Montana once said it takes around 3 years to fully understand the WCO as it's a very complicated system.  Alex is entering year 3.  AS has never had any consistency in an offense till KC.   If you don't think it shouldn't make a difference look at the difference in Manning.  Some of what is going on with him is age some of it is he is't at all comfortable with Kubiak offense.  I thought age had finally caught up with him.  Late in the game Kubiak gave Manning the reigns and he went back to what he was comfortable with and all of sudden Manning looked alot better.  Big Ben even struggled his first year nd that's with Antonio Brown and Sanders as his WRs,  going from what he had known with Arians to Haley but in his 2nd year had the best year of his career.  

He has weapons now, very least top 5 TE, a top 2 RB and probably a top 12 WR, those 3 right there are more than most have.  Manning has better WRs, but not a better TE and no one close to JC.   Brady has Gronk and Edelman, but again no RB that can touch JC and Rogers now that Nelson is out AS probably has better overall weapons than him as well.  He has 3 legit playamkers at all skill positions which is something he has never had.   He also has now had the consistency in the offense.   He has to produce this year or it's time to move on but I am going to give him this year or it's time move on.  

In addition to the five players that registered receptions last week, Smith attempted passes to Albert Wilson and Travis Kelce. Smith has an excellent reputation for spreading the ball around, which in turn leads to the stereotype that no wide receiver can accumulate big yardage with Smith throwing to them.

Actually, you throw to the receivers that are winning their battles. Spreading the ball around for the sake of spreading the ball around can be counter-productive.

Wilson had one target. Kelce isn't a WR.

Relax on the constant defense of Alex. Good

God man..

It was about play calling.

Group 1.     Alex Sucks Crowd

Group 2.     Alex Can Get the Job Done Crowd

Group 3.     Alex is Elite Crowd

Breakdown of the Forum

10 % Group 1

90%  Group 2

0% Group 3

nope there are 4 groups.. The Alex doesn't suck but he wont get us to the SB crowd

Well if only he had elite receivers (he won't look at) and an Offensive Line filled with first round picks. It's not his fault, guys.

Phanta makes me laugh because he doesn't realize the Packers WR's are elite because of Arod.

I mean we've already blamed the line, that has done well overall at 3 of 5 spots. Check. If it was a total dumpster fire and they couldn't run, like the Colts, yeah that would be totally understandable.

Guess it's time to blame Jeremy Maclin, like Bowe was for the last two years.

Well if only he had elite receivers (he won't look at) and an Offensive Line filled with first round picks. It's not his fault, guys.

Phanta makes me laugh because he doesn't realize the Packers WR's are elite because of Arod.

I mean we've already blamed the line, that has done well overall at 3 of 5 spots. Check. If it was a total dumpster fire and they couldn't run, like the Colts, yeah that would be totally understandable.

Guess it's time to blame Jeremy Maclin, like Bowe was for the last two years.

Reid has to find a way to mix it up and move the ball around. Where are the damn slants? Al Wilson runs like the wind. I think he can get the 6 yard slant. Reid needs to call better plays.

So what would those receivers be if not for Aaron Rodgers? What if Philip Rivers was throwing to them instead?

If what you said was absolutely true, the Packers would not have paid Greg Jennings almost $30 million over his final four seasons in Green Bay, would not have paid Jordy Nelson over $30 million over eight years in Green Bay (with more coming, as Nelson signed a $39 million four-year extension back in 2014), and would not have just given Randall Cobb a $40 million four-year extension this year. Jermichael Finley made only $14 million over six years, but he likely would have made more if not for a career-ending neck injury. The Packers have a reputation for keeping players at under market value, and they still paid a considerable amount to retain these receivers for the time they did. The dollars say that you are wrong.

Unsubstantiated 'X makes Y better' arguments are worthless. Back up what you said with a solid wide receiver evaluation, if you are capable.

Reid has to find a way to mix it up and move the ball around. Where are the damn slants? Al Wilson runs like the wind. I think he can get the 6 yard slant. Reid needs to call better plays.

I agree andys playcalling has been..lacking.

wonder if the troubles of the offensive line has got into his head...

I agree andys playcalling has been..lacking.

wonder if the troubles of the offensive line has got into his head...

The quick slants are what we did all last season, and teams do actually watch film.  They are ready for it.  Despite what Monday morning QB's say, Reid is not an idiot. Against a team like GB at home, the only shot the Chiefs have is to control the clock and keep Rogers and Co. off the field.  GB sucks at run defense.  The obvious plan is to run the ball as much as possible.  If Charles gets good blocking, he will close in on 200 yards.  This is not the week to be thinking about a big passing attack. That only give GB the ball more times.

Now, if Reid starts passing all the time, I may start agreeing about his play-calling.

So what would those receivers be if not for Aaron Rodgers? What if Philip Rivers was throwing to them instead?

If what you said was absolutely true, the Packers would not have paid Greg Jennings almost $30 million over his final four seasons in Green Bay, would not have paid Jordy Nelson over $30 million over eight years in Green Bay (with more coming, as Nelson signed a $39 million four-year extension back in 2014), and would not have just given Randall Cobb a $40 million four-year extension this year. Jermichael Finley made only $14 million over six years, but he likely would have made more if not for a career-ending neck injury. The Packers have a reputation for keeping players at under market value, and they still paid a considerable amount to retain these receivers for the time they did. The dollars say that you are wrong.

Unsubstantiated 'X makes Y better' arguments are worthless. Back up what you said with a solid wide receiver evaluation, if you are capable.

The receivers would be lesser quality as Rivers is a different type of QB and runs a different style offense. Ffs this isn't difficult here.

The Packers keep their guys below market value because they know their production dips way south if they leave. Ask James Jones, who couldn't last in NY or Oakland and plugged in to be productive right away once he got back to GB.

You still got to retain dudes so I don't even know what the hell you're trying to prove.

Alex Smith is a QB who came from a simplified Urban Meyer system where he didn't have to make progressions, could rely more on his athletic ability and never had to learn the nuisances of playing the position.

Due to circumstances beyond his control, he never had a coach stay long enough to beat it into him once he left.

He still relies on his legs (some out of necessity, also has cost him to miss many open guys), he struggles on progressions and will lock on a target, can't look a Defender mark and struggles to make some typical NFL throws consistently...gl getting reliable tosses outside of the hashmarks.

He doesn't trust himself enough to let it fly by this point and a caretaker QB running an offense from 88 isn't going to cut it without a severe amount of luck and a gross amount of talent. The Chiefs do not have luck.

The receivers would be lesser quality as Rivers is a different type of QB and runs a different style offense. Ffs this isn't difficult here.

The Packers keep their guys below market value because they know their production dips way south if they leave. Ask James Jones, who couldn't last in NY or Oakland and plugged in to be productive right away once he got back to GB.

Wow, you mentioned James Jones? I sure didn't. James Jones was competent depth in a stacked receiver corps in Green Bay. He's not a WR1 or WR2. Even so, he was the Raiders' player with the most pass receptions and most touchdowns.

You didn't actually evaluate James Jones either. You stuck to the same flawed premise: The quarterback makes the receiver, except when he doesn't. The problem here is that you arbitrarily choose which quarterbacks make which receivers, and therefore if a quarterback isn't 'in the club', he can only succeed with a deeply talented roster, whereas if he is 'in the club', he can succeed with street free agents.

I'm done, man. You don't bring constructive discussion on this subject. It's one uninformed stereotype after another with you. I asked you to step up with some facts that would explain the differences between the Green Bay receiver corps and the Chiefs', and you proceeded to cite the recent employment history of a career WR3 that was placed in a WR1/WR2 role. There was no mention of scheme, no mention of physical ability, and no mention of receiving skills.

The quick slants are what we did all last season, and teams do actually watch film.  They are ready for it.  Despite what Monday morning QB's say, Reid is not an idiot. Against a team like GB at home, the only shot the Chiefs have is to control the clock and keep Rogers and Co. off the field.  GB sucks at run defense.  The obvious plan is to run the ball as much as possible.  If Charles gets good blocking, he will close in on 200 yards.  This is not the week to be thinking about a big passing attack. That only give GB the ball more times.

Now, if Reid starts passing all the time, I may start agreeing about his play-calling.

Well Bil, you may want to get your arguments ready...

Everyone knows that Reid SHOULD run the ball, therefore HE WON'T.

GB will stack the box to stop the run, and force AS11 to beat them...Like everyone else does.

I get frustrated with being cute, but at the same time we need a little misdirection. Our line limits our play calling. If they stack the box, we can't run.

If I were them, I would play man and rush 6. See if we can hold them off. I think we are going to have to do the same most of the time to protect Fleming.

I get frustrated with being cute, but at the same time we need a little misdirection. Our line limits our play calling. If they stack the box, we can't run.

If I were them, I would play man and rush 6. See if we can hold them off. I think we are going to have to do the same most of the time to protect Fleming.

Well, they could bench Flemming, and use Ron Parker instead. Parker's man coverage is much better than Flemmings.

They could use Abdullah and Branch at the safety spots, and bring Flemming in on 4 - 5 WR sets.

Archived