How good an owner is Clark Hunt?

Guest RW

He's young AND entitled AND inherited AND rich. AND...not quite ready for the passing of the scepter from Lamar? Legit issues all, or so it seems to me.

What makes a good or great or...whatever owner anyway and what impact does it have?

Look at Jerry Jones. High ego, early success, then meddling and mediocrity. Bud Adams of the Titans? Hands off ...and result on field? About the same.

Is it the owner, the coaching, the QB or what? And does jr. HUNT have it or WHAT..or whatever the magic formula calls for?

Clark Hunt ranks among the best of owners in the NFL. I don't understand your premise. You have made a series of assessments without proof. 

1. He is rich. Bingo. Got that one right. I'm glad he has plenty of money. Show me an owner of an NFL team who is not wealthy. Show me a poor person who employs people. I cannot conceive a way this factor is detrimental to owning a team. 

2. He is inherited. Besides the poor grammar, I get the idea. He inherited much of his wealth. Cool. I wish I did. I was pretty lucky. He probably inherited a lot of other qualities from his father, Lamar. Lamar was a good man, and rose above the moral degradation of his own father, and his own family. His father had fifteen children from 3 marriages. His first child was so erratic he was lobotomized. William and Bunker made money from oil in Libya, and tried to corner the silver market. He also had an ongoing affair with his Secretary, and provided for their joint children. Lamar went to SMU, and was a very good person. Despite his direction Lamar went another way. Lamar began an entertainment business, and Hunt Midwest (mining, and warehousing). Lamar's first son, Lamar Junior, got in trouble. The family did not throw him under the rug. They helped bring him back into society. Clark and Dan are a big part of trying to help Lamar Junior get his life right.

Now, let's talk about Clark, the owner... actually there are five owners. Clark's mother, his brothers and sister are each 20% owners of the Chiefs. He was nominated by the family to take over for Lamar. Clark was a bright student at SMU, and a very good athlete. He played soccer, and would have been good enough to play professionally if he wished. Instead, he pursued a MBA, and went to work for Goldman Sachs. He left Goldman Sachs, and started his own corporation. When I first moved to Kansas City, I worked at the FedEx ramp location, and helped take packages over the counter. This is when I first met Clark Hunt. Clark Hunt used to drop his own packages off at the counter. He knew me by my first name. He was gracious enough to allow me to speak with him. I am verbose, as many of you all probably assume. I once had an hour and 15 minute conversation with Rush Limbaugh when he was starting EIB, and the radio network. It was about 50/50, and Rush likes to talk. Clark Hunt is reserved. He chooses his words carefully, and he issues them with sobriety. He is one of the outwardly nicest persons I have met. I don't capitulate to people. I think Clark liked that. I never had a hour and 15 minute conversation with Clark. We generally spoke about 3 to 5 minutes. You never got the sense he was in a hurry. He was a steady customer, so I don't think he minded our conversations. The man is deep. He knows about a number of issues. He is not a brat, or entitled as you seem to posit.

3. He is entitled. From my personal contact with the man, I would say you are full of crap. The entitlement class is not limited to the wealthy. It is generally well dispersed between all people of all income levels. Again, I knew Clark first as an employee. I am roughly 7 years older than Clark. I later became an Account Representative, and the Chiefs were in my territory. I did not deal with Clark at the time, but occasionally ran into him. He was kind and thoughtful. He knew about my family. What can I say further, but you are clearly wrong on this issue. Being wrong is one thing, but if you are the same individual who brought this up before, then you are also an idiot. Idiots do not learn from their corrections. 

4. As far as I can determine no owner of a NFL team has ever suited up, and played while being the owner. I have a close relationship with the NFL. I have four relatives who played in the NFL, and one has a place in Canton. My neighbor when I was a kid was a retired NFL player. I personally know people who have played in the NFL, and others who are currently or have been employed by the NFL. I can tell you from my experience, the players make about 75% of the difference on a football team. The coaches make the other difference. The owner pays the bills. I have not spoken to Clark Hunt in 17 years. From my observation, he does not meddle, but he does care enough to get involved when he needs to (see CP, see SP). He is probably a happy medium between being too involved, and not being in touch. He is a in touch owner, who tries to let the management of the team make the decisions. 

Kansas City is very fortunate to have the Hunt family. Lamar Hunt tried to start his team in Dallas. The NFL has been controlled by some egomaniac individuals. They have decided the fates of players, and coaches. They decided Dallas was not worthy of a team. Lamar Hunt helped start another league, the AFL, in order to give Dallas a team. The moment Hunt introduced a new team in Dallas, the NFL owners sought out Clint Murchison Jr to start a franchise. Murchison, and Hunt were denied a team until the AFL.

Lamar Hunt decided to leave Dallas in order to help both franchises win. He found a home in Kansas City. If not for Lamar Hunt, there would be NO KC CHIEFS. 

same topic has been hashed and rehashed for as long as I've been a member here.

That's the MO here it seems, to rehash topics that have run rampant throughout the board in newly packaged bows of new threads. Next is a thread about Andy Reid re: play calling and clock management. Eventually, we will get to questioning the Chiefs name regarding Native Americans. ;)

OK, I get it. Rehashing is ..rampant. Being new here, good to see others before me have similar concerns. My bad.

Here's my point this time: Until the Chiefs win another bowl, THIS...has to happen: Open invite. You tell me what THIS...is?

OK, I get it. Rehashing is ..rampant. Being new here, good to see others before me have similar concerns. My bad.

Here's my point this time: Until the Chiefs win another bowl, THIS...has to happen: Open invite. You tell me what THIS...is?

We are in week two, there's no way of winning the Super Bowl in week two. Give this team a chance to do something. This was a topic we talk about in the off-season when we miss it.

I'm OK talking with this type of stuff, but all the past tense as if we all derived a conclusion/consensus of failure from these two games is a bit much. I understand every year for a long time we've not won, but we're still too early in the season to make claims that this is the same result. And no one was really predicting us to win the Super Bowl this year, just contend. You have to wait more than two games to see where that's going. We all have predictions, but to make conclusions is too early.

Guest 303Chiefs

Clarkipoo isn't anything special. You all have seen my conversations on this before. From my experience w owners and ceo's, they are all full of shit. I work for marriott and mr m knows me by first name as I personally take care of the entire family every year for one of their annual visits. He's nice, polite, personable, blah blah blah. He's no marriott senior. Same goes for clarkipoo and Lamar. Father builds it, runs it like a champ, and son takes over and reaps the benefits while putting on an act.

there is only so much an owner can do..He hired Pioli which on paper was who by all accounts was on every bodies short list. His ineptitude blew everybody away  except probably the Patriots org. Haly would most probably done better as a HC without Pioli  micro managing everything and bringing in his buds to be assistants. They failed after given a fair chance then fired. he then hired Dorsey/Reid. new GM but experienced HC with instant credibility. I think a season worse than 9-7 and they will be on the hot seat as well .

there are those clowns on here that dont like him..thats fine but they offer no alternatives just want to call him names. I think Clark is doing as much as an owner should. If a person wants a Jerrey Jones or the bozo in Washington I suggest becomeing a fan of those teams. Lamar had his faults but with those faults he had his greatness. I think Clark is the perfect owner for Kansas City & the chiefs organization.

Where would Kraft and the Pats be without Brady? Just another slap nut. They lucked into Brady Its easy to be a great coach & owner with a HOF ( arguably a top 5 QB in the History of the game) QB

Gee, I don't know... blatant stupidity?

Clarkipoo isn't anything special. You all have seen my conversations on this before. From my experience w owners and ceo's, they are all full of shit. I work for marriott and mr m knows me by first name as I personally take care of the entire family every year for one of their annual visits. He's nice, polite, personable, blah blah blah. He's no marriott senior. Same goes for clarkipoo and Lamar. Father builds it, runs it like a champ, and son takes over and reaps the benefits while putting on an act.

So, you work for Marriott. Advance much? 

He's young AND entitled AND inherited AND rich. AND...not quite ready for the passing of the scepter from Lamar? Legit issues all, or so it seems to me.

What makes a good or great or...whatever owner anyway and what impact does it have?

Look at Jerry Jones. High ego, early success, then meddling and mediocrity. Bud Adams of the Titans? Hands off ...and result on field? About the same.

Is it the owner, the coaching, the QB or what? And does jr. HUNT have it or WHAT..or whatever the magic formula calls for?

With the exception of young, that describes most of the Owners in the NFL. I would add "father practically founded the league". So he has lived football all his life. I think that is a plus many owners don't have.

With the exception of young, that describes most of the Owners in the NFL. I would add "father practically founded the league". So he has lived football all his life. I think that is a plus many owners don't have.

Heres a plus many owners do have. Winning. How about winning? I would trade that for Legacy, Nice, Founder. Fact is you cant enjoy your legacy because...well...your dead. 

Guest Okiechief1

I agree with OT on this.

For those of you that don't feel he isn't a good owner I'd like to hear specifics of why and what more you want from him.

I agree with OT on this.

For those of you that don't feel he isn't a good owner I'd like to hear specifics of why and what more you want from him.

I'm not saying this makes him a bad owner, but the big thing this year that I didn't like was him trading a home game for the London game in advance for the duties of a Super Bowl hosting team. I just don't think it works that way. He wants to earn some respect by doing it early, but I think we paid something we won't get. And honestly, I don't care if we get it, as the money goes to him not to us.

Guest Okiechief1

I'm not saying this makes them a bad owner, but the big thing this year that I didn't like was him trading a home game for the London game in advance for the duties of a Super Bowl hosting team. I just don't think it works that way. He wants to earn some respect by doing it early, but I think we paid something we won't get. And honestly, I don't care if we get it, as the money goes to him not to us.

That's a legit argument and from what i understand the season ticket holders still paid for 8 games but only get 7.

Don't think KC will ever get to host the SB anyway. Think it would be awesome for the city though.

I come at this differently:

Great Owners have different flavors:

Jerry Buss and George Steinbrenner were GREAT owners because they hired the best and won championships.

Bill  DeWitt ( St Louis Cardinals) manages a GREAT Ownership group because they have a great business model and they win Championships year after year. 

Clark Hunt has continued the traditions of his father, the Chiefs attempt to hire the best GM's and Coaches available (at the time) and Hunt will fire people as appropriate ( Pioli).  Hunt is also working to get KC a Super Bowl and he has devised a way to keep the Chiefs in KC.  I like all that.

That said, the Chiefs need to win playoff games and championships for him to be considered a great owner.

w

I come at this differently:

Great Owners have different flavors:

Jerry Buss and George Steinbrenner were GREAT owners because they hired the best and won championships.

John DeWitt ( St Louis Cardinals) manages a GREAT Ownership group because they have a great business model and they win Championships year after year. 

Clark Hunt has continued the traditions of his father, the Chiefs attempt to hire the best GM's and Coaches available (at the time) and Hunt will fire people as appropriate ( Pioli).  Hunt is also working to get KC a Super Bowl and he has devised a way to keep the Chiefs in KC.  I like all that.

That said, the Chiefs need to wind playoff games and championships for him to be considered a great owner.

w

It's actually Bill Dewitt, Jr., but I agree.  He allows Mozeliak to make all decisions and has increased payroll each year.  The only demand that he made was to remake the farm system into a factory of the best young talent available.  Jocketty's refusal to do that is what got him fired.

Same exact scenario....I have been a Cards fan since 1965. 

I like the Royals too....But its always Cardinals First.

Denkenger Still Sucks.

w

He knew that he made the wrong call and apologized to Whitey after the game.  Doesn't explain the "royal" ass whipping that they took in game 7 though.  Hats off to the '85 Royals.

Archived