Rodgers vs. Smith: Tale of Two Quarterbacks

Berry added his thoughts on what the Chiefs are facing in Rodgers Monday.

"He has a very quick release," he said of Rodgers. "He's not scared to make all the throws. He's not scared to throw it downfield. I mean just his mechanics as a quarterback. You can tell he really takes pride in what he does in his individual drills because his drops, the way he looks as far as looking off the safeties, looking off the coverage, he's very good at that." 

Smith explained what the offense's focus is heading into the Green Bay game.

"We're trying to go up there to score points and we're going to try and have our fundamentals be good enough that they avoid turnovers, that you're carrying the ball the right way, you're making good decisions, you're accurate with the football, those types of things."

The difference between an elite QB and a game manager. One not scared to throw deep and making all of the throws. Trying to win. The other, we're going to try to make good decisions and be accurate. Trying not to lose.

From Chiefs press conference

Berry added his thoughts on what the Chiefs are facing in Rodgers Monday.

"He has a very quick release," he said of Rodgers. "He's not scared to make all the throws. He's not scared to throw it downfield. I mean just his mechanics as a quarterback. You can tell he really takes pride in what he does in his individual drills because his drops, the way he looks as far as looking off the safeties, looking off the coverage, he's very good at that."

Smith explained what the offense's focus is heading into the Green Bay game.

"We're trying to go up there to score points and we're going to try and have our fundamentals be good enough that they avoid turnovers, that you're carrying the ball the right way, you're making good decisions, you're accurate with the football, those types of things."

The difference between an elite QB and a game manager. One not scared to throw deep and making all of the throws. Trying to win. The other, we're going to try to make good decisions and be accurate. Trying not to lose.

From Chiefs press conference

I agree that Aaron Rodgers is elite. Smith is not. But I'm not going to gather anything from a quote in a press conference. What is Smith going to say? It doesn't matter. And of course Berry is going to have great things to say about a great quarterback.

We could just have this in the "Alex Smith lacks" thread. Nothing is new to add by starting a new thread about this.

Besides, to me, all that's different between the two quarterbacks is one Super Bowl. Since Smith doesn't have any, that's monumental. However, I don't care how the quarterback plays if they win and if they don't, he will be replaced. Rodgers will win more than the one he has if he's so great. I feel the Smith has this year and next to prove something and the team will improve around him as well.

I agree that Aaron Rodgers is elite. Smith is not. But I'm not going to gather anything from a quote in a press conference. What is Smith going to say? It doesn't matter. And of course Berry is going to have great things to say about a great quarterback.

We could just have this in the "Alex Smith lacks" thread. Nothing is new to add by starting a new thread about this.

Besides, to me all that's different between the two quarterbacks is one Super Bowl. I don't care how the quarterback plays if they win and if they don't, he will be replaced. I feel the Smith has this year and next to prove something and the team will improve around him as well.

Sorry guess I need to work on my new thread etiquette 

Sorry guess I need to work on my new thread etiquette

Haha, I guess you're OK. I just have experience in message boards where people do this and they act like they are smarter because they are negative. And then they start multiple threads all bashing the team. I know you a little bit better, so I shouldn't have reacted, it just gets a little annoying after a loss. Epecially to a rival with 13 days off. At the beginning of the season. There are a lot of great posters here who cite the positive and the negative. I am absolutely fine with people stating their opinion, I just get tired of it when it's in a new thread of its own and then another one pops up and another one pops up.

Haha, I guess you're OK. I just have experience in message boards where people do this and they act like they are smarter because they are negative. And then they start multiple threads all bashing the team. I know you a little bit better, so I shouldn't have reacted, it just gets a little annoying after a loss. Epecially to a rival with 13 days off. At the beginning of the season. There are a lot of great posters here who cite the positive and the negative. I am absolutely fine with people stating their opinion, I just get tired of it when it's in a new thread of its own and then another one pops up and another one pops up.

I don't start many threads so you certainly busted by bubble. ;) 

Manning is no longer elite. Right now there are two quarterbacks I would call elite. Rodgers, and Brady are elite. Roethlisberger is close to being elite. After that you have a bunch of very good quarterbacks, some of which are rising, others falling, and a few plateaued. Smith is plateaued, and he is what he is. He isn't going to get much better at this stage of his career. Manning is falling, and on the path down. This is likely his last season. He probably will start a decline mid-season. Andrew Luck, and Russell Wilson have been on the elite list by some in the media, but they aren't. Their surrounding cast of players have helped them, but they are ascending, and for Luck, he has a chance of reaching the pinnacle. 

You can win a Super Bowl with any of the quarterbacks in the middle on up. The bottom 10 or 12 quarterbacks are probably not good enough to get you there. The Chiefs had Green, and he was a middle tier QB. He was good enough to take his team far with a lot of help. He didn't get the help. Then the Chiefs went through a desperation faze looking for a QB. They thought Cassel was going to be an elite QB. He is still playing, but it is clear now that Cassel reached his pinacle as a back up for Tom Brady, and just 2 years older than Smith, Matt Cassel is best suited as a back up. 

The Chiefs gave up 2 second round picks for Alex Smith, and they got a pretty good player in return. If San Fran had it to do over again, they would likely rather traded Kaepernick. How things change. Both are fairly equal, but Smith gives a more solid performance game in and game out. 

Besides, to me, all that's different between the two quarterbacks is one Super Bowl. Since Smith doesn't have any, that's monumental. However, I don't care how the quarterback plays if they win and if they don't, he will be replaced. Rodgers will win more than the one he has if he's so great. I feel the Smith has this year and next to prove something and the team will improve around him as well.

I dont think he has next year bud..the fans altho mostly still behind him some supporters are starting to turn on him . Remember Matt Cassel? The HC & GM bet their careers on  MC and they got booted. I would hate to think that Dorsey/Reid would make the same mistake. Now I will agree on the premise that the fans have no business picking who plays or does not but when the Boo Birds come out & the Stadium empties something has to give.

If Alex could just get up to Trent Green type appreciation in this town all would be fine..just my opinion of course

I dont think he has next year bud..the fans altho mostly still behind him some supporters are starting to turn on him . Remember Matt Cassel? The HC & GM bet their careers on MC and they got booted. I would hate to think that Dorsey/Reid would make the same mistake. Now I will agree on the premise that the fans have no business picking who plays or does not but when the Boo Birds come out & the Stadium empties something has to give.

If Alex could just get up to Trent Green type appreciation in this town all would be fine..just my opinion of course

Talking about money regarding next year. I also think he'll play well enough, but that's besides the point. A switch could happen mud season because therapy no reason to keep him starting if he showed to not progress mid-next season, but would be too much to cut. They could keep them as a back up for the beginning of the year, but I don't think he'll play that poorly. It is Reid and Dorsey, not the fans.

I dont think he has next year bud..the fans altho mostly still behind him some supporters are starting to turn on him . Remember Matt Cassel? The HC & GM bet their careers on  MC and they got booted. I would hate to think that Dorsey/Reid would make the same mistake. Now I will agree on the premise that the fans have no business picking who plays or does not but when the Boo Birds come out & the Stadium empties something has to give.

I think the only way Smith will get that level of appreciation is with a playoff win or two.  Trent Green put up some nice numbers that Alex Smith might not ever surpass; but he still didn't win any playoff games. 

I think the only way Smith will get that level of appreciation is with a playoff win or two.  Trent Green put up some nice numbers that Alex Smith might not ever surpass; but he still didn't win any playoff games. 

your probably right it very well may need a playoff victory or two for Alex to be appreciated as much as Trent 

That was an epically horrific defense. It's hard to realize but for a 3 year stretch there only Peyton out performed Trento. And only by abouth 15 yards. And with an amazing group of WRs. Trent never had a true #1 and through to Rob Thomas, Snoop Minnis and Eddie Kennison.

That guy was way under appreciated. But this is KC where Joe Montana got booed. Man o man.

We are so hard on QBs. If we had Peyton, we say he has a noodle arm. If we had Brees we would say he is too short. If we had Rogers, we would say State Farm premiums were too high.

We are like this, yet we never had a real history with quarterbacks like San Francisco did with Montana and Young. Other than Lenny, we had Trent which is sort of like Garcia (comparably to Young and Montana prime) and Gannon before he got big.

Right now Rodgers is the best in the business. Brady is second best. There is a huge drop off after that. I remember when everyone was talking about Brady being a sixth rounder, and we maybe should look for quarterbacks in the sixth round. Finding a QB like that is like finding a diamond. Most teams never find a QB of that caliber. NE, and GB did a good job scouting, but mostly, they got lucky. 

Alex Smith isn't ever going to play at the AR or TB level. It just isn't in him. However, 30 other teams out there don't have that kind of guy either. 

Archived