Kansas City Chiefs' Alex Smith needs to keep his eyes up

This just gives me less reason to pay attention to any of their grades. The quarterback, who in a blowout, throws four interceptions, two of them returned for a touchdown and throws for a total of 67 yards, passing less than 50% completion percentage, 3.5 YPA, no TDs with no garbage time stats grades out better? In nine years, there haven't been other quarterbacks who take sacks? It's a subjective grade and given that it spans over nine years, I feel that has to be some exaggeration and subjective failure here from them.

Edit: I apologize to PFF. I didn't see that it was his worst. I thought they said THE worst in nine years. I could see it being his worst, because even in his three interception games, he usually does some other positive things.

This just gives me less reason to pay attention to any of their grades. The quarterback, who in a blowout, throws four interceptions, two of them returned for a touchdown and throws for a total of 67 yards, passing less than 50% completion percentage, 3.5 YPA, no TDs with no garbage time stats grades out better? In nine years, there haven't been other quarterbacks who take sacks? It's a subjective grade and given that it spans over nine years, I feel that has to be some exaggeration and subjective failure here from them.

Edit: I apologize to PFF. I didn't see that it was his worst. I thought they said THE worst in nine years. I could see it being his worst, because even in his three interception games, he usually does some other positive things.

No, I still don't accept PFF grades. They are non-transparent algorithms too tied to individual stats, meaning the quarterback gets little credit for executing an offense that enables his runningback to get clean running lanes. That should be worth something, but it's not. For the same reason, it takes Kaepernick giving up two pick-sixes and four turnovers in total for him to have a 'bad game' according to PFF.

No, I still don't accept PFF grades. They are non-transparent algorithms too tied to individual stats, meaning the quarterback gets little credit for executing an offense that enables his runningback to get clean running lanes. That should be worth something, but it's not. For the same reason, it takes Kaepernick giving up two pick-sixes and four turnovers in total for him to have a 'bad game' according to PFF.

Wow, some quarterbacks open better running lanes than others?

Are you really arguing Alex needs a better grade because he opens better lanes for Charles?

You blow me away with some of this stuff you pull out.. Unreal

I noticed you had zero to say about the video breakdown of Alex not keeping his eyes down field.

I like how you pick and choose what you argue.

Like the other threads, "I won't allow this into the argument."

One thing to notice here. Grubbs got demolished, and Stephenson got beat badly too. The right side held up on that play shown in the video. Grubbs is here for at least one more season, if not two or three. He doesn't actually become a FA until 2019. 

Wow, some quarterbacks open better running lanes than others?

Are you really arguing Alex needs a better grade because he opens better lanes for Charles?

You blow me away with some of this stuff you pull out.. Unreal

I noticed you had zero to say about the video breakdown of Alex not keeping his eyes down field.

I like how you pick and choose what you argue.

Like the other threads, "I won't allow this into the argument."

Yes, some quarterbacks keep defenders out of the box. It was a simple assessment.

Because I was responding specifically concerning PFF, I am under no obligation to comment on what a couple videos show. I don't think the sample size justifies the outcry.

One thing to notice here. Grubbs got demolished, and Stephenson got beat badly too. The right side held up on that play shown in the video. Grubbs is here for at least one more season, if not two or three. He doesn't actually become a FA until 2019. 

Speaking of offensive line - Baltimore's line paved enormous holes for Dorsett all night (Yanda, Zuta, etc). Flacco was sacked 5 times, although he doesn't have the receivers he once used too. S. Smith, left with an injury. 

If our O-line could just have half the chemistry Baltimore's line has we'd be in good shape.

Yes, some quarterbacks keep defenders out of the box. It was a simple assessment.

Because I was responding specifically concerning PFF, I am under no obligation to comment on what a couple videos show. I don't think the sample size justifies the outcry.

Then technically, Alex must bring them into the box since they don't fear the pass right?

It was well known that Grubbs was ddeclining before the Chiefs traded for him. But the entire Oline looked lost vs GB.

I haven't read anything that suggested that teams load the box more frequently against Alex Smith than against other quarterbacks, formations notwithstanding.

They stack the box against Charles because they dont fear the pass.

They stack the box against Charles because they dont fear the pass.

Part of it's a numbers game and how good Charles is. But if it were so easy to defend and so ineffective to run, we wouldn't have succeeded as much as we did before. If they stack the box and we pass short and they don't respect an intermediate route, we should see more defensed plays than we do.

Yea, like a qb who opens holes for a running back..

Smith's runningbacks always do well. Smith's critics argue that it is because having Smith drop back to pass is a poor alternative to running the ball. Smith's proponents watched Frank Gore's value tank upon his departure from San Francisco, and Jamaal Charles' value rise upon his arrival in Kansas City. Smith clearly makes a difference in a way that Matt Cassel or Colin Kaepernick did not.

Don't get too stuck on my phrasing. I quite obviously wasn't arguing that Smith has been making bone-shattering blocks for his runningbacks.

Smith's runningbacks always do well. Smith's critics argue that it is because having Smith drop back to pass is a poor alternative to running the ball. Smith's proponents watched Frank Gore's value tank upon his departure from San Francisco, and Jamaal Charles' value rise upon his arrival in Kansas City. Smith clearly makes a difference in a way that Matt Cassel or Colin Kaepernick did not.

Don't get too stuck on my phrasing. I quite obviously wasn't arguing that Smith has been making bone-shattering blocks for his runningbacks.

Gores value did not drop when smith left.

He has a hell of a line in SF too.

Archived