Chiefs' Phillip Gaines tore his ACL, out for the season

Oh no. The Kansas City Chiefs are losing CB Phillip Gaines for the season with a torn ACL. Given the Chiefs cornerback issues in the past two weeks, this one hurts.

Gaines went down with a non-contact injury early in Monday's game against thePackers. The Chiefs said after the game that it was a knee sprain and they would have an MRI to figure out more. Given it was non-contact, I was really concerned that the MRI would show something bad. And it did. Gaines will undergo surgery and he is out for the season.

Gaines was playing nickel for the Chiefs when three receivers were on the field, which is often. Sean Smith gets back this week so that's a help but it's still a problem for the Chiefs. Smith and Marcus Peters will man the outside while the Chiefs now have to figure out what they do in the nickel. When Gaines left last Monday, the Chiefs replaced him with Tyvon Branch, who was torched pretty good against Aaron Rodgers. The Chiefs do have rookie Steven Nelson but Andy Reid indicated recently he may not be ready. We shall see.

Oh no. The Kansas City Chiefs are losing CB Phillip Gaines for the season with a torn ACL. Given the Chiefs cornerback issues in the past two weeks, this one hurts.

Gaines went down with a non-contact injury early in Monday's game against thePackers. The Chiefs said after the game that it was a knee sprain and they would have an MRI to figure out more. Given it was non-contact, I was really concerned that the MRI would show something bad. And it did. Gaines will undergo surgery and he is out for the season.

Gaines was playing nickel for the Chiefs when three receivers were on the field, which is often. Sean Smith gets back this week so that's a help but it's still a problem for the Chiefs. Smith and Marcus Peters will man the outside while the Chiefs now have to figure out what they do in the nickel. When Gaines left last Monday, the Chiefs replaced him with Tyvon Branch, who was torched pretty good against Aaron Rodgers. The Chiefs do have rookie Steven Nelson but Andy Reid indicated recently he may not be ready. We shall see.

Does that mean Ron Parker goes to nickle cornerback?

I was really hoping it was a knee sprain as indicated earlier. Gaines was a good player. He will be missed. I hope he recovers, and returns in good health next year. 

Right now, the Chiefs better be on the look out for help in their secondary. My guess is there will be nothing out there for now, and the Chiefs will be forced to rely on the guys they have. I don't recall Fleming being this bad before. He absolutely looks lost. Marcus Cooper looked good at times his rookie season. I don't understand why these guys have not improved. Cooper has good size and speed. Jamell Fleming had a really nice combine too. The book on Fleming was he was not a good zone player, but was alright in man coverage. Well, either the book was wrong of Fleming or he has not been developed. It looks to me both Cooper and Fleming went backwards since playing for the Chiefs. Why? The coaching is supposed to be good. Why then are we failing to develop these men? 

I was really hoping it was a knee sprain as indicated earlier. Gaines was a good player. He will be missed. I hope he recovers, and returns in good health next year. 

Right now, the Chiefs better be on the look out for help in their secondary. My guess is there will be nothing out there for now, and the Chiefs will be forced to rely on the guys they have. I don't recall Fleming being this bad before. He absolutely looks lost. Marcus Cooper looked good at times his rookie season. I don't understand why these guys have not improved. Cooper has good size and speed. Jamell Fleming had a really nice combine too. The book on Fleming was he was not a good zone player, but was alright in man coverage. Well, either the book was wrong of Fleming or he has not been developed. It looks to me both Cooper and Fleming went backwards since playing for the Chiefs. Why? The coaching is supposed to be good. Why then are we failing to develop these men?

In the NFL players either get better or they get worse but they do not stay the same.

Cooper was released from his first team for a reason. His feet and instincts are abysmal. I think he would be a better fit a safety were he could face the qb, sorta like Parker. He does not have the footwork, instincts and confidence to play corner.

And flemming, is just not athletic enough. Way too stiff and does not posses the speed to keep up with upper echelon WR's.

Although Reid and Sutton know these things, they keep trotting them out on the field to get abused playing man to man coverage. IMO, they should stop playing so much press man, and switch to a zone/blitz defense.

Cooper was released from his first team for a reason. His feet and instincts are abysmal. I think he would be a better fit a safety were he could face the qb, sorta like Parker. He does not have the footwork, instincts and confidence to play corner.

And flemming, is just not athletic enough. Way too stiff and does not posses the speed to keep up with upper echelon WR's.

Although Reid and Sutton know these things, they keep trotting them out on the field to get abused playing man to man coverage. IMO, they should stop playing so much press man, and switch to a zone/blitz defense.

I also don't understand why play press man if we rarely jam a receiver at the line. I realize if guys are slow and you try to jam, they fly right by you if they miss it push you away. So that might be the reason

If I remember correctly, Cooper was not released. He landed on the practice squad and we claimed him. He started as a rookie and had a very solid first half of the season.

I stand corrected. He was cut waiting to be signed to the practice squad. I will say that it is not an unusual spot for a 7th round pick. He only played CB for one year in college. I wouldn't give up on him yet.

Well we may not give up on him yet, but he shouldn't be playing nickel DB. Might as well play with 10 on defense.

If the choice is between him and Flemming, I would take flemming to play on the outside whenever they went to nickel, and move peters inside because he has awfully damn good footwork and his hip movement is very fluid.

Well we may not give up on him yet, but he shouldn't be playing nickel DB. Might as well play with 10 on defense.

If the choice is between him and Flemming, I would take flemming to play on the outside whenever they went to nickel, and move peters inside because he has awfully damn good footwork and his hip movement is very fluid.

Peters is really exciting. Granted, it will balance out and he will get schooled like a rookie sooner or later, but he looks like a future Pro Bowl to me.

I am not convinced Berry has gotten back all his quickness.  I am not sure he could cover slot receivers.

w

Berry isn't the player he was before 2014 imo

Not his fault, but it is what it is.

Personnel doesn't matter too much when you sit with a single high safety all day and don't even try to confuse an Offense.

No creativity at all. He just hopes Houston wreaks havoc.

Yep. Same defensive play calls over and over again, with HOPES that Houston gets there. Damn shame.

Rodgers even said he threw 3 TD's because we kept showing him the same look...3 damn times!!

Archived