Travis Kelce among USA Today's 2014 NFL breakout stars

Travis Kelce, who starred for the Cincinnati Bearcats before the Kansas City Chiefs drafted him in the third round of the 2013 NFL draft, is among five players set to become breakout stars during the upcoming NFL season, according to USAToday.com's Brent Sobleski.

Here's what Sobleski said about Kelce:

The Chiefs lacked explosive play makers in their passing offense last year. Yet, the team decided not to add a high draft pick or experienced alternative at wide receiver or tight end.

What the Chiefs will gain this season is a healthy Kelce. The tight end was placed on injured reserve last season after only one game, because he required microfracture knee surgery.

Kelce, the team's third-round pick in the 2013 draft, is a very good athlete. The numbers he posted at Cincinnati's pro day last year would have made him a Top 5 performer in all but one event at the NFL combine.

The Chiefs do have high expectations for Kelce as he enters year two.

"…the emergence of a Travis Kelce being able to stretch the field as a tight end, hopefully that weapon adds another element to the passing game," Chiefs general manager John Dorsey told MMQB.com's Greg Bedard. "We took some nicks at the tight end position last year."

Andy Reid showed during his time with the Philadelphia Eagles his willingness to feature the tight end, if a talented one was on the roster (Chad Lewis, L.J. Smith and Brent Celek). Reid now has a talented target at the position with the Chiefs in Kelce.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/ucathleticsblog/2014/05/27/travis-kelce-among-usa-today-2014-nfl-breakout-stars/9630673/

He didnt participate at OTA's today.

I wouldnt expect much out of him this year.

Microfracture surgery is no joke. That has ruined a lot of careers. I read his wasn't as severe as some, but a lot of times, these guys never come back to their old self. 

Chiefs coach Andy Reid said Travis Kelce, who missed his rookie season after undergoing mircofracture knee surgery in early October 2013, is “progressing well and doing everything” when it comes to the first phase of the offseason program.

The first phase includes voluntary workouts in the form of weight lifting and running with strength and conditioning coaches, and classroom sessions with members of the coaching staff.

When asked to clarify if Kelce was medically cleared, Reid didn’t offer a definitive response.

“He’s right there,” Reid said. “How about I say it that way? He can do what we’re doing right now.”

Still, if a player hasn’t been medically cleared in April from an early October microfracture knee surgery wouldn’t be cause for alarm, according to Dr. Jeff Dugas of the renowned Andrews Sports Medicine & Orthopaedic Center in Birmingham, Ala.

While Dugas didn’t personally evaluate Kelce, he offered an opinion during a phone interview based on his area of expertise with orthopedic sports injuries.

“If I was reading the newspaper and I’m a Chiefs fan, that wouldn’t disturb me knowing what I know about it,” Dugas said. “There are three more months until he needs to be full-go.”

Of course, hearing of microfracture knee surgery could cause a layman to cringe.

The process involves identifying the cartilaginous defect, and then inserting multiple small holes in the bone close to the defect 3 to 4 millimeters apart. Doing so stimulates the bone marrow to produce cartilage or cartilage-like tissue in an attempt to heal itself.

Notable NFL players to reportedly have the surgery in recent years include tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. (2007), running backs Maurice Jone-Drew (2011) and Reggie Bush (2008), and wide receiver Marques Colston (2009, 2011).

In the NBA, Jason Kidd, Chris Webber, Anfernee Hardaway, Tracy McGrady, Greg Oden and Amar’e Stoudemire are among players to have undergone microfrature surgery.

Overall results are mixed, but Dugas said the microfracture procedure is an “evolving science,” adding there are factors to consider.

microfracture_300.jpg

Graphic used with permission. Credit: Steadman Hawkins Clinic of the Carolinas

“The success rate of microfracture is highly dependent on so many things,” Dugas said. “Age, location, size, physical demand of the patient and overall health of the patient all contribute to the success rate.

“The size of the defect is obviously one of the more important things, so every defect that gets microfractured will be in some way different. They’re like footprints. If you’re talking about a small defect, say 1 square centimeter, the success rate for that will be much higher than a defect that is 6 square centimeters.”

When it comes to recovery, the defect location, whether in a weight-bearing or non-weight-bearing area, plays a role.

In Kelce’s situation, the tight end experienced issues getting in and out of his stance, but could run without pain. Chiefs head athletic trainer Rick Burkholder said on Oct. 9, 2013 that Kelce’s defect was identified in the articular cartilage in a non-weight-bearing area.

That information proved important to Dugas’ forecast for a recovery timetable.

“I would expect that with microfracture surgery of the knee, most NFL athletes would take at least six months to return to normal levels of performance and competition,” Dugas said. “But again, obviously the smaller the defect, the less you’re asking of the body. The bigger the defect, the more you’re asking.”

A final consideration with recovery surrounds a patient’s history.

Former NFL running backs Terrell Davis and Stephen Davis, both of whom had a history of knee injuries, were arguably never the same player after a microfracture procedure.

“If the cartilage defect is isolated and there is no other pathology in the knee, the success rate of microfracture surgery is very high in terms of getting a healthy tissue to grow,” Dugas said. “If there is associated meniscal damage or widespread arthritis, the success rate of microfracture surgery decreases. Also, knee stability plays an important role. If the knee isn’t stable, like in the ACL deficient knee, the success rate of microfracture surgery goes down.”

Kelce doesn’t have a history with knee injuries, and his known health concerns coming out of the University of Cincinnati surrounded shoulder and sports hernia injuries.

Nevertheless, getting him back from microfracture surgery and ready for the upcoming season is essential to bolster the Chiefs tight end corps in Reid’s version of the West Coast offense.

[RelatedHealthy tight ends key to Chiefs offense]

Despite not playing last season, Kelce had the benefit of staying in Kansas City during his recuperation. Being around the team and learning the complex offense before the offseason provided an advantage.

“That part, that was a big thing,” Reid said of Kelce’s ability to attend regular season team meetings following surgery. “Once the season was over, then you’re done until today (Monday) with the football part.”

Former NFL tight end Luther Broughton, who played two seasons for Reid in Philadelphia (1999-2000), agreed with his former head coach.

“The one big challenge for him is his knee,” Broughton said of Kelce in a phone interview. “Let’s be honest, microfracture, that’s a tough one. The good thing about it is he’s been there a year; it’s not like he’s coming out of college. He’s been studying and that’s a humongous head start.”

Former three-time Pro Bowl Eagles tight end Chad Lewis echoed Reid and Broughton.

“Since he’s been there a year, then it will be very important for him to know his position,” Lewis said in a phone interview. “He’s been in meetings, he needs to know where to line up and that’s just the basics.”

In the meantime, in the event Kelce isn’t ready to return to unlimited physical activity shouldn’t hurt the underlying objective from a professional team’s point of view when it comes to microfracture surgery.

And the timing of an athlete to undergo that procedure in early October should keep a player on track barring a setback.

“The goal for that athlete and that team is for him to be ready to play in August-September,” Dugas said. “If he doesn’t perform in April or May, that doesn’t necessarily mean he won’t be ready to perform in August-September.”

He didnt participate at OTA's today.

I wouldnt expect much out of him this year.

Microfracture surgery is no joke. That has ruined a lot of careers. I read his wasn't as severe as some, but a lot of times, these guys never come back to their old self. 

Chiefs coach Andy Reid said Travis Kelce, who missed his rookie season after undergoing mircofracture knee surgery in early October 2013, is “progressing well and doing everything” when it comes to the first phase of the offseason program.

The first phase includes voluntary workouts in the form of weight lifting and running with strength and conditioning coaches, and classroom sessions with members of the coaching staff.

When asked to clarify if Kelce was medically cleared, Reid didn’t offer a definitive response.

“He’s right there,” Reid said. “How about I say it that way? He can do what we’re doing right now.”

Still, if a player hasn’t been medically cleared in April from an early October microfracture knee surgery wouldn’t be cause for alarm, according to Dr. Jeff Dugas of the renowned Andrews Sports Medicine & Orthopaedic Center in Birmingham, Ala.

While Dugas didn’t personally evaluate Kelce, he offered an opinion during a phone interview based on his area of expertise with orthopedic sports injuries.

“If I was reading the newspaper and I’m a Chiefs fan, that wouldn’t disturb me knowing what I know about it,” Dugas said. “There are three more months until he needs to be full-go.”

Of course, hearing of microfracture knee surgery could cause a layman to cringe.

The process involves identifying the cartilaginous defect, and then inserting multiple small holes in the bone close to the defect 3 to 4 millimeters apart. Doing so stimulates the bone marrow to produce cartilage or cartilage-like tissue in an attempt to heal itself.

Notable NFL players to reportedly have the surgery in recent years include tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. (2007), running backs Maurice Jone-Drew (2011) and Reggie Bush (2008), and wide receiver Marques Colston (2009, 2011).

In the NBA, Jason Kidd, Chris Webber, Anfernee Hardaway, Tracy McGrady, Greg Oden and Amar’e Stoudemire are among players to have undergone microfrature surgery.

Overall results are mixed, but Dugas said the microfracture procedure is an “evolving science,” adding there are factors to consider.

microfracture_300.jpg

Graphic used with permission. Credit: Steadman Hawkins Clinic of the Carolinas

“The success rate of microfracture is highly dependent on so many things,” Dugas said. “Age, location, size, physical demand of the patient and overall health of the patient all contribute to the success rate.

“The size of the defect is obviously one of the more important things, so every defect that gets microfractured will be in some way different. They’re like footprints. If you’re talking about a small defect, say 1 square centimeter, the success rate for that will be much higher than a defect that is 6 square centimeters.”

When it comes to recovery, the defect location, whether in a weight-bearing or non-weight-bearing area, plays a role.

In Kelce’s situation, the tight end experienced issues getting in and out of his stance, but could run without pain. Chiefs head athletic trainer Rick Burkholder said on Oct. 9, 2013 that Kelce’s defect was identified in the articular cartilage in a non-weight-bearing area.

That information proved important to Dugas’ forecast for a recovery timetable.

“I would expect that with microfracture surgery of the knee, most NFL athletes would take at least six months to return to normal levels of performance and competition,” Dugas said. “But again, obviously the smaller the defect, the less you’re asking of the body. The bigger the defect, the more you’re asking.”

A final consideration with recovery surrounds a patient’s history.

Former NFL running backs Terrell Davis and Stephen Davis, both of whom had a history of knee injuries, were arguably never the same player after a microfracture procedure.

“If the cartilage defect is isolated and there is no other pathology in the knee, the success rate of microfracture surgery is very high in terms of getting a healthy tissue to grow,” Dugas said. “If there is associated meniscal damage or widespread arthritis, the success rate of microfracture surgery decreases. Also, knee stability plays an important role. If the knee isn’t stable, like in the ACL deficient knee, the success rate of microfracture surgery goes down.”

Kelce doesn’t have a history with knee injuries, and his known health concerns coming out of the University of Cincinnati surrounded shoulder and sports hernia injuries.

Nevertheless, getting him back from microfracture surgery and ready for the upcoming season is essential to bolster the Chiefs tight end corps in Reid’s version of the West Coast offense.

[RelatedHealthy tight ends key to Chiefs offense]

Despite not playing last season, Kelce had the benefit of staying in Kansas City during his recuperation. Being around the team and learning the complex offense before the offseason provided an advantage.

“That part, that was a big thing,” Reid said of Kelce’s ability to attend regular season team meetings following surgery. “Once the season was over, then you’re done until today (Monday) with the football part.”

Former NFL tight end Luther Broughton, who played two seasons for Reid in Philadelphia (1999-2000), agreed with his former head coach.

“The one big challenge for him is his knee,” Broughton said of Kelce in a phone interview. “Let’s be honest, microfracture, that’s a tough one. The good thing about it is he’s been there a year; it’s not like he’s coming out of college. He’s been studying and that’s a humongous head start.”

Former three-time Pro Bowl Eagles tight end Chad Lewis echoed Reid and Broughton.

“Since he’s been there a year, then it will be very important for him to know his position,” Lewis said in a phone interview. “He’s been in meetings, he needs to know where to line up and that’s just the basics.”

In the meantime, in the event Kelce isn’t ready to return to unlimited physical activity shouldn’t hurt the underlying objective from a professional team’s point of view when it comes to microfracture surgery.

And the timing of an athlete to undergo that procedure in early October should keep a player on track barring a setback.

“The goal for that athlete and that team is for him to be ready to play in August-September,” Dugas said. “If he doesn’t perform in April or May, that doesn’t necessarily mean he won’t be ready to perform in August-September.”

CWil, thanks.  That's great stuff.  Reminds me of the old days on surgery rotation.  I like facts.  I am an unreconstructed facts-based person.  The only problem with surgery references are that they are meant to be global, to apply to all patients affected, so there is nothing to individualize it.  I have no idea how bad Kelce's cartilage was, how many pieces had to be trimmed away, the size of the microfractures etc.   So, I am in a position of ignorance.  But when you are 22 years old, you tend to heal up better than the older clowns that reference is including.  Plus, he is an athlete, and he obviously has top medical and rehab follow up and optimized nutrition.  The most important thing to me is the fact that we did not draft someone else at that position.  That tells me that his doctors are confident and are giving the Chiefs organization the real skivvy on their prognosis for him.  Maybe that is wishful thinking, but I look for him to play this season and to possibly break out as the lead article suggests.

I hope he can get on the field and get a shot but, we will be fine without him imo. Fasano and McGrath were good enough for what we were trying to do last year. Maybe Harris will come along but even if he doesn't we'll be OK. The slot receiver is more important in Reid's offense. Fans like to remember Alex throwing to Davis in SF but I really think it's more about Reid's offense than making Alex happy. The TE position just isn't as valuable to the Chiefs as it is to some other teams imo.

skivvy?

hahahahahahaha.  For some reason, that old term popped into my addled brain.  At one time, skivvy, which actually means "underwear" was used colloquially to mean "inside, low-down, information".  Pretty obscure for people who weren't kids in the 50's, when Popeye was a popular cartoon on black and white TV.  I'm glad you asked.  There were probably others equally disturbed by that :lol:

...and they probably still are

hahahahahahaha.  For some reason, that old term popped into my addled brain.  At one time, skivvy, which actually means "underwear" was used colloquially to mean "inside, low-down, information".  Pretty obscure for people who weren't kids in the 50's, when Popeye was a popular cartoon on black and white TV.  I'm glad you asked.  There were probably others equally disturbed by that :lol:

...and they probably still are

I thought you were going for 'skinny' (aka the 'inside skinny'), but I'll accept your collquialism. I like it.

I know skivvies = navy slang for underwear, hence the Popeye connection (?)

Cheers.

I know skivvies = navy slang for underwear, hence the Popeye connection (?)

Cheers.

I'm certain that's how Popeye was connected to that.  Plus his character was best known for his malapropisms and garbled pronunciations.  I think that must happen to people in the navy.  Am I right?  :lol:   ALERT!  Thread swerve!!

TJ Carpenter on Petro's show today said he thinks Kelce could be a suprise cut before the season starts. That would suck. Really thought he was going to be something in Andy Reids offense that utilizes the TE position big time.

I hope he can get on the field and get a shot but, we will be fine without him imo. Fasano and McGrath were good enough for what we were trying to do last year. Maybe Harris will come along but even if he doesn't we'll be OK. The slot receiver is more important in Reid's offense. Fans like to remember Alex throwing to Davis in SF but I really think it's more about Reid's offense than making Alex happy. The TE position just isn't as valuable to the Chiefs as it is to some other teams imo.

What were we trying to do?  Purposely suck?

TJ Carpenter on Petro's show today said he thinks Kelce could be a suprise cut before the season starts. That would suck. Really thought he was going to be something in Andy Reids offense that utilizes the TE position big time.

Kelce is the only reasonable candidate to help this offense improve.

I think that revolved around whether he can stay healthy or not..not on his ability. At least thats the message I got.

Bil,

Do you have any insights on the "blood platelet therapy" Kobe Bryant is getting each year in Germany?

Is there any relevency here with Kelce?

Thanks,

w

I wish I could give you a better answer, West.  But any benefit of spinning down a patient's blood, extracting the platelet fraction, and then injecting the platelet-rich plasma into injured joint areas is BASED ON FAITH that the platelet fraction will be "contaminated" with rare undifferentiated stem cells, that these cells will then differentate into cells that will replace the damaged cells, such as cartilage cells, muscle cells, etc.  It is purely a theory based on some basic science, and the evidence of it actually being effective clinically is anecdotal and not based on actual observations of cellular differentiation and healing in these patients.  That doesn't mean it is not happening, but it is truly a treatment of faith at this point.

The claims of it being effective are based on patients' subjective sense of improvement and on objective evidence of healing, like reduced markers of inflammation.  But the healing may have happened anyway, and the placebo effect of wishful thinking, confidence in the theory,  and spending a boatload of money by these patients is not, or cannot, be controlled out of the studies.  In otherwords, the process and expense and small numbers of patients doing this completely precludes the possibility of studies that are double-blind and controlled.  That does not mean it doesn't work.  But if you wish for something hard enough and spend enough of your own money on it, you can will yourself into believing you are better, and that can actually make you better. If you believe it, you lose some of the protective effects of "guarding" and allow yourself to increase your range of motion in exercizes, which might be beneficial all by itself.  Belief that something is helping is a powerful force, which is why placebo-controlled and double-blind studies are necessary.  When you believe in something and have confidence, it reduces steroid secretion, and that allows certain immune functions to improve.  That is why this is not an approved procedure here.  The fact that patients have to fly off to Germany to get this treatment at private centers that are more than willing to take the money should say something.  It could take a number of years before there is an actual answer.  It may be just a craze among rich athletes.  But personally, I am 100% certain that medical scientists will be perfecting the ability to re-capture the totipotentiality of stem cells, and that the future is bright as far as injecting these cells into damaged tissue to re-create healthy tissues, including neuronal tissues in injured brains.  I think we are on the verge of a revolution in medical treatments from this.  Science is good.

I hope that helps and does not just cloud the issue further.

• 7 years later...

3 hours ago, PAChiefsFan79 said:

Accidentally hit the next page button that took me 218 pages deep. Interesting to read some takes from 8 years ago. lol. Break out star to future hall of famer. Microfracture that could wreck a career to Kelce literally demolishing records. So blessed to be a Chiefs fan during this era.

Great find :D

Most microfracture surgeries simply but a halt in the career and start the decline to the abyss. We were extremely lucky that this one wasn't not only as major as most but also Kelce turned out to be even better than advertised.