Last year pass D vs. this year so far

What the hell is going on compared to last year? I realize people ran more on us without DJ and Divito but is that the only thing? I like having Abdullah back there.

New member and have posted before but decided it was time to join the coalition team. I like being around chiefs fans.

What the hell is going on compared to last year? I realize people ran more on us without DJ and Divito but is that the only thing? I like having Abdullah back there.

New member and have posted before but decided it was time to join the coalition team. I like being around chiefs fans.

Shhh! We're too busy writing Smith's eulogy, though Reid and Suttin have been mentioned.

The short....easy answer...  SEAN SMITH.  Every QB has keyed in on Smith's replacement, and has had great success.  The difference between Peters/Smith and Fleming/Cooper/Gaines is extraordinary.  He's back this week...so lets see what happens...

I'll tell what's gonna happen!

Green and co will will exploit whomever is playing the slot DB. That's what's gonna happen.

Gaines' injury will hurt us just as much as Sean Smiths' suspension.

Why did the Chiefs get such a brutal schedule for the 1st quarter? Denver, Green Bay and now Cincy is undefeated. First time in 5 years a team has had to play back to back playoff teams on the road during a short week. The football gods hate Kansas City.

This team will continue to be out coached by the better teams with better coaching. Reid & Sutton are simply awful. So players must overcome the pathetic coaching. Year three same coaches, same system, continuity.......blah blah blah. 

Why did the Chiefs get such a brutal schedule for the 1st quarter? Denver, Green Bay and now Cincy is undefeated. First time in 5 years a team has had to play back to back playoff teams on the road during a short week. The football gods hate Kansas City.

Look at the Panthers' Weeks 1-4 and then their 5-8. Not making a real comment, but it's interesting.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/teamschedule?teamId=29

I love Eric Berry, but he's coming off cancer. Honestly, he shouldn't take as many snaps as he does. Ron Parker should play that deep role and Abdullah up front covering the TEs.

I'd like to see Abdullah cover Eifert tomorrow. He's our best covering safety in between the hashes.

Our pass D changed last year when we got rid of Kendrick Lewis, and Abdullah and Parker stepped up for Berry's absence. Not a 300 yd passer allowed last year and no more than 30 pts scored.

I don't agree with everything said in this article, but it has some stats that show that the defense isn't really starting on shorter fields this year. On average anyway.

http://m.cjonline.com/blog-post/matt-derrick/2015-10-02/alex-smith-not-scapegoat-chiefs-slow-start#gsc.tab=0

The Chiefs defense is yielding 29.3 yards per drive and 2.1 points per drive. While the yardage allowed is virtually the same (29.7), the points allowed is up a whopping 35 percent from the 1.56 points per drive allowed a year ago.

Opponents are starting their average drive at the 26.7 yard line, which is slightly better than the 27.7 line in 2014. That suggests opponents are not simply taking advantage of short fields provided by the Chiefs offense.

A year ago, the Chiefs did not give up 30 points or more than 300 yards passing in a game. That's happened twice so far in 2015.

If the Chiefs are to beat Cincinnati Sunday, it will take slowing down an offense averaging 28.3 points per game and 288.7 yards passing. That's on the defense, not Smith.

Hali is older and slower and Houston isn't having as strong of a year. Still a great player, but sure is hard to better a career year and nearly hit the record books.

I think teams will pick on Peters more now and he will look more like a rookie. Most of the abuse will take place in the slot though.

Sean Smith is gonna be rusty after a nearly month long break and will have to cover all pro AJ Green for his first assignment. A tough start.

Abdullah and Parker are really good playing the run. They have been playing Berry a lot who has never excelled at deep coverage. Sean Smith was really good for us.

That is the biggest thing. Hali and Ford have not provided much pressure on that side and Poe has been limited up the middle. I think we will get back to where we were if we can turn up the pressure. Ford needs to step up for an aging Hali.

Whaaa. Poor, mistreated Kansas City!  Remember when we went 9-0?  The schedule is a BS excuse.  We had the easiest schedule on earth then, and got our asses whipped in the final 6 games. I'd rather have a chance at the end after getting battle tested against great teams and without Sean Smith in the early 4 games. Seriously. This is whining. You are better than that, man.

Archived