Will Alex Smith and Kansas City Chiefs be ready for Cincinnati Bengals blitz?

The Kansas City Chiefs' Doug Pederson made a comment this week that stood out to me. Talking about what the Packers defense did in the first half vs. what they did in the second half (not much difference, he said), the Chiefs offensive coordinator said this about Green Bay's defense:

Every time they felt like they needed a stop, they would bring the pressure and force us to either throw quick or get out of certain things.

That sentence above sounds like the blueprint to beating the Chiefs. Pressure Alex Smith and force him to either dump it off to De'Anthony Thomas four yards behind the line of scrimmage on third and long or he'll take the sack. The Chiefs understand that Cincinnati is going to watch that Packers game and do the same thing.

"Cincinnati is another defense that will do the same thing," Pederson said. "They're an attack-style, very aggressive. Anything you see on tape, you say ‘Hey, we can do the same thing,' especially if it's in your package. I wouldn't expect anything different each week, teams are going to pressure you anyway. Again, we just have to look at that film, make those corrections and move on to the next one."

Only four quarterbacks have been under more pressure than Alex Smith so far this year. And Smith hasn't responded very well to that. Against Denver under pressure, Smith was 5-of-9 for 73 yards, one interception and four sacks. Against Green Bay under pressure, he was 7-of-14 for 87 yards, one touchdown, one interception and seven sacks (via PFF).

The Chiefs know exactly what it was coming here with Cincinnati's defense. The Bengals think DT Geno Atkins can exploit the Chiefs interior offensive line and Alex Smith will bail early. Cincinnati has six sacks this season but last year they were last in the league with just 20 sacks. However, until the Chiefs prove they can avoid the sacks when pressure is brought, I expect Cincinnati to bring it.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/10/2/9438829/will-alex-smith-kansas-city-chiefs-cincinnati-bengals

Great post.

Same plays week in and week out. No creativity. Unprepared at times. Forgets about his weapons. Etc... Etc.. Oh and doesn't hold coaches accountable.

There were so many problems with the team on Monday. The defense from the get-go was allowing everything. The play calls were predictable. The quarterback wasn't playing well. The Oline wasn't protecting well. The receivers for the most part were not getting separation until garbage time. It's hard for me to pinpoint one position and put the blame on them.

If the coaches are calling bad plays because of the oline or quarterback, they need to stop. Call the right play and have the oline or QB fail. There's no sense in failing at the predictable plays that you are calling. Or rather, there's no sense in not realizing that they are failing.

Put the pressure on the line and quarterback by calling the right play and if those two fail, you can apportion the blame and adjust. It's like if I don't trust somebody and I only give them a few assignments I'm going to be slowed down by them even if they were able to do more assignments. If I give them what I think they should do and they fail, that's on them and I can adjust from there a lower number of assignments. That number might be higher than the conservative number of assignments I knew that they could do.

It's frustrating. I feel we should call plays with longer check downs and fewer short designed plays. It isn't a matter of getting a completion, it is a matter of getting yards. (And for anyone who wants to suggest that Smith is padding his stats by getting a completion, I think that's too much of a conspiracy theory. I believe he just thinks that helps the team more.)

I understand checking down to a higher completion percentage likelihood, but that should be 4-5 yards not 1-2. And it should be on first or second down, not third-down. I don't think third-down means throwing an interception, but I do think that third down should be passed the sticks and safe.

Yes, that's often on the quarterback either by him doing it or the play being called because of him. I am saying stop giving him that play call. I don't want him to take a sack and I know that a check down would help field position. But it's happening too often and it's not only the quarterback.

I think Pederson should be calling the plays. I have heard him prodding Smith for deeper throws, but I have only heard Reid say that Smith was working on it as an explanation for the preseason stats, not that it was an issue. At least, I hear Pederson talk about it like it's an issue of the offense.

Maybe if the head coach wasn't calling the plays, he'd get the players more fired up and have a little bit better clock management? I do feel we would definitely get better plays or distribution or variance of plays.

There were so many problems with the team on Monday. The defense from the get-go was allowing everything. The play calls were predictable. The quarterback wasn't playing well. The Oline wasn't protecting well. The receivers for the most part were not getting separation until garbage time. It's hard for me to pinpoint one position and put the blame on them.

If the coaches are calling bad plays because of the oline or quarterback, they need to stop. Call the right play and have the oline or QB fail. There's no sense in failing at the predictable plays that you are calling. Or rather, there's no sense in not realizing that they are failing.

Put the pressure on the line and quarterback by calling the right play and if those two fail, you can apportion the blame and adjust. It's like if I don't trust somebody and I only give them a few assignments I'm going to be slowed down by them even if they were able to do more assignments. If I give them what I think they should do and they fail, that's on them and I can adjust from there a lower number of assignments. That number might be higher than the conservative number of assignments I knew that they could do.

It's frustrating. I feel we should call plays with longer check downs and fewer short designed plays. It isn't a matter of getting a completion, it is a matter of getting yards. (And for anyone who wants to suggest that Smith is padding his stats by getting a completion, I think that's too much of a conspiracy theory. I believe he just thinks that helps the team more.)

I understand checking down to a higher completion percentage likelihood, but that should be 4-5 yards not 1-2. And it should be on first or second down, not third-down. I don't think third-down means throwing an interception, but I do think that third down should be passed the sticks and safe.

Yes, that's often on the quarterback either by him doing it or the play being called because of him. I am saying stop giving him that play call. I don't want him to take a sack and I know that a check down would help field position. But it's happening too often and it's not only the quarterback.

I think Pederson should be calling the plays. I have heard him prodding Smith for deeper throws, but I have only heard Reid say that Smith was working on it as an explanation for the preseason stats, not that it was an issue. At least, I hear Pederson talk about it like it's an issue of the offense.

Maybe if the head coach wasn't calling the plays, he'd get the players more fired up and have a little bit better clock management? I do feel we would definitely get better plays or distribution or variance of plays.

It's a mess.

Alex isn't dumping it off for stats. Anyone who thinks that is crazy.

Pretty good article. It shows three parts of the game.

1st half: 2-7 for 39 yards, 5.6 YPA.

Third quarter: 9-14 for 98 yards, 7.0 YPA, INT, TD.

Fourth Quarter: 12-19 for 155 yards, 8.2 YPA.

The Packers blitzed hard until the start of the fourth quarter.

It seems that didn't enter garbage time until fourth-quarter. A lot of people assumed it was the whole second-half. Of course, the Packers still got pressure with four men and not blitzing.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article37473504.html

Why am I putting this in this thread? Because Cincinnati will copy the Packers. Neither Green Bay nor Cincinnati blitzed often on early downs against anyone but the Chiefs. The Packers blitzes early and often against us. We should expect the same in this game.

They are not going to stop the pressure any more than they did against GB, as long as they play LDT.  You cannot have two rookies on the O-line.  I am sure Morse will be great, but LDT is a big question mark. Regardless of potential and athleticism, an O-linemen has to have seen enough snaps to react instinctively.  To think about it after the snap requires an extra 0.1 seconds at least.  That is the difference between being successful and getting creamed.  Two guys getting creamed gives us little chance against any good team that can bring pressure. That is just the fact. They have to be able to read and understand what the defense is doing BEFORE the ball is snapped. If we can get Allen back in, we might be OK against decent teams but not great ones. LDT should be waived, not starting.  Until then, have a beer, eat some chips, and look to next year.

Guest 303Chiefs

I just want to see them all play hard...To the end!

Give a 100%, damn.

Then maybe they can all get effort medals for their hard work and potive attitudes.  This is the NFL...fucking paid to win.  You don't win it doesn't matter that you tried, you're still a loser.  Win at all costs.

Archived