We are what our record says we are.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not going that far.  They are 1-3.  Houston looks like a team that they should have beat, and they did.  The other 3 were going to be tough, and we all knew that.  I just thought that they would have been more competitive, outside of the Denver game, where they were.

I'm not going that far.  They are 1-3.  Houston looks like a team that they should have beat, and they did.  The other 3 were going to be tough, and we all knew that.  I just thought that they would have been more competitive, outside of the Denver game, where they were.

They HAVE to go 9-3 the rest of the way to even have a CHANCE at a Wild Card spot.  That leaves them at 10-6. we have seen 10-6 teams not even make the play offs.

Guest Okiechief1

the surprising part is the defense...they are not good..at all.

the o-line destroys any chance for the offense to be successful..and that is disgraceful..how could they put this shit out there..

I think the D is the most disappointing of it all. Guys are getting beat physically so it's not all a scheme thing as well.

Guest Okiechief1

the surprising part is the defense...they are not good..at all.

the o-line destroys any chance for the offense to be successful..and that is disgraceful..how could they put this shit out there..

I think the D is the most disappointing of it all. Guys are getting beat physically so it's not all a scheme thing as well.

Yes.  We are mediocre at best.  For whatever it's worth (probably not much), this is the way I see it:

We have playmakers but a terrible offensive line.  We have a cerebral, tough,  and accurate QB who is risk averse but faces nothing but risk with this line, so he is not only averse to taking risks but is rightfully gun shy and no longer able to think about anything about the next shot he is going to take to the body.  But I don't believe this would be happening, if he had the ability to take the ball under center and backpedal while surveying the field.  He just cannot do that.  He receives a snap 7 yards back.  That neither gives him the time to survey and let a pocket develop but betrays whether the play is a run or a pass.  The defenses know exactly what he is going to do, except for the rare trick play or quick screen to Jamaal Charles.  If he hands off back there, any gaps close immediately.  I seriously believe that he does this because he lacks the inherent skill to backpedal quickly enough from under center while finding his targets, for them to get open.  So, he has to play back in a semi-shotgun to give him a little bit of time.

Because of this, and despite my defense of Smith, Chase Daniel is the type of QB who can make this offense work despite the offensive line,  because he can backpedal, see the play, and zip it to the receivers.  That way, he can take the snap from under the center's ass instead of 7 yards back.

Reid is also at fault for not seeing this and stubbornly refusing to give this team a QB/O-line combination that has a real chance.  With a veteran line, Smith would be better, but they just stink.  They are truly an "offensive" line.  I now revise my prediction of this season down to 5 victories at best.  We will remain worse than a mid level team as long as we have a coach that insists on WCO without the QB or line to make it work.  Perhaps it is time to change the entire system toward smashmouth style.  All of this has gone back and forth for my 46 years as a fan, and I am really done with it.  Plus I don't like the direction the NFL has taken in general.  My interest and investment in emotion following the Chiefs has reached such a point of diminishing returns that I will probably quit.  I don't mean to bum anyone out.  Have fun with this. I did for a long time, but its just not something I wish to do anymore.

Yes.  We are mediocre at best.  For whatever it's worth (probably not much), this is the way I see it:

We have playmakers but a terrible offensive line.  We have a cerebral, tough,  and accurate QB who is risk averse but faces nothing but risk with this line, so he is not only averse to taking risks but is rightfully gun shy and no longer able to think about anything about the next shot he is going to take to the body.  But I don't believe this would be happening, if he had the ability to take the ball under center and backpedal while surveying the field.  He just cannot do that.  He receives a snap 7 yards back.  That neither gives him the time to survey and let a pocket develop but betrays whether the play is a run or a pass.  The defenses know exactly what he is going to do, except for the rare trick play or quick screen to Jamaal Charles.  If he hands off back there, any gaps close immediately.  I seriously believe that he does this because he lacks the inherent skill to backpedal quickly enough from under center while finding his targets, for them to get open.  So, he has to play back in a semi-shotgun to give him a little bit of time.

Because of this, and despite my defense of Smith, Chase Daniel is the type of QB who can make this offense work despite the offensive line,  because he can backpedal, see the play, and zip it to the receivers.  That way, he can take the snap from under the center's ass instead of 7 yards back.

Reid is also at fault for not seeing this and stubbornly refusing to give this team a QB/O-line combination that has a real chance.  With a veteran line, Smith would be better, but they just stink.  They are truly an "offensive" line.  I now revise my prediction of this season down to 5 victories at best.  We will remain worse than a mid level team as long as we have a coach that insists on WCO without the QB or line to make it work.  Perhaps it is time to change the entire system toward smashmouth style.  All of this has gone back and forth for my 46 years as a fan, and I am really done with it.  Plus I don't like the direction the NFL has taken in general.  My interest and investment in emotion following the Chiefs has reached such a point of diminishing returns that I will probably quit.  I don't mean to bum anyone out.  Have fun with this. I did for a long time, but its just not something I wish to do anymore.

I would hate to see you go, but understand. The Chiefs really fooled me this time. People with more football knowledge than me probably are not surprised. I always thought they had some talent, and wanted to believe that in year three in Reid's system they would take the next step.

The only true talent on offense the Chiefs have is Charles. He is the only player that doesn't disappear or is totally shut down. Even in a losing effort, he always seems to beat other players on defense, no matter how elite they are. They get him, but he gets them also. If he stays healthy, and racks up some more yards to break 10,000 I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the HOF someday. The Chiefs winning a SB would help, but I no longer think that will happen during his career.  Imagine if he was on the Packers or Patriots, wow, Rodgers & Brady would have a field day with defenses.

See you Bily after we beat Chicago...  :P

I think people are vastly overrating the talent on this team.

A. Smith, Charles, Maclin, Charles Kelce.

Houston, Hali/Ford, Poe, Bailey, Howard, DJ, Berry, S. Smith, Peters...

We had 7 or 8 pro-bowlers a year or so ago. 

Hali, DJ, Poe, and Berry are not the same, granted.

Archived