We are what our record says we are.

Remember last year's Oakland Raiders game.  Remember how we ended Cincinattis losing streak 8 years ago.   Trap games.   The Chiefs can be counted on to underperform in games they statistically should dominate on paper.  

The puzzling part is.....this is simply history repeating itself.  I remember Warren Moon lighting us up for 530 yards passing back in 2000.   That was under Shottenheimer.   Cincinatti was under Vermiel.   Green Bay/Cincinatti was under Reid.   Different coaches.  Different managers,  Different players to be sure.   And no Clark Hunt was not managing the team either. 

Have to believe it happens to everybody.  We lit up New England last year and Green Bay several years ago. 

It isn't that we lost.   I think it is that we were never in it.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember last year's Oakland Raiders game.  Remember how we ended Cincinattis losing streak 8 years ago.   Trap games.   The Chiefs can be counted on to underperform in games they statistically should dominate on paper.  

The puzzling part is.....this is simply history repeating itself.  I remember Warren Moon lighting us up for 530 yards passing back in 2000.   That was under Shottenheimer.   Cincinatti was under Vermiel.   Green Bay/Cincinatti was under Reid.   Different coaches.  Different managers,  Different players to be sure.   And no Clark Hunt was not managing the team either. 

Have to believe it happens to everybody.  We lit up New England last year and Green Bay several years ago. 

Yup and that IS the bottom line.People get so pumped for the new season that they forget that these are "our" Chiefs.  Wilke I'm wondering if our prediction of 9-7 was a bit generous. How long until the new GM/Hc are on the hot seat? will 6-10 get either or fired?. I dont think so but  some sacrificial lamb(2) will be slaughtered . Most likely coaches because players cost too much. I think matbe a real hard ass HC is called for

It doesn't seem to make any difference OT.  Look at the coaches who came in and cleaned house and what happened?  Shottenheimer in 1998 inherited a lot of talented players.   Okoye, Szott, Neil Smith,  Alt, DeBerg were all on the roster already.   I don't think he cleaned house as much as he reevaluated talent and he DID draft Derrick Thomas.   The only other coach that made a real difference was Dick Vermiel.   The rest of the coaches since those days have tried to make do with what we have.  Some have been disasters.  Haley, Crennell,  Mackovick,  Gansz,  were all in over their head.  Herm Edwards was asked to do too much with too little. 

The fact is,  IMHOP,  the coaches do NOT have as much influence over a team's performance as we think that they do.  Coaches get fired because its cheaper than demoting underperforming players.   Professional football is the tail wagging the dog.

OT I figured on 8 and 8 at the beginning.  You and I paid an early price for aiming low.  But old memories die hard don't they.

You won't find many teams that can overcome their defense giving up 14 points in the opponent's first 7 minutes and 9 seconds over 14 plays and 160 yards. The Chiefs' offense chewed up almost seven minutes of clock on their opening drive over 13 plays, and managed to put points on the board. There's no excuse for defensive play that bad. Thanks to their lack of execution, Smith continued to take a beating throughout the game, and clutch throws that he made will go on to be forgotten because due to the ineptness of the defense, the Chiefs didn't win yesterday.

Alex Smith continues to get sacked on about 9.8% of his dropbacks (184), getting 5.9 yards per play with a touchdown rate of 2.2% against a turnover rate of 1.6%.

Colin Kaepernick has been sacked on about 8.6% of his dropbacks (163), getting 5.1 yards per play with a touchdown rate of 1.8% against a turnover rate of 3.7%.

Teddy Bridgewater has been sacked on about 9.2% of his dropbacks (141), getting 5.1 yards per play with a touchdown rate of 2.1% against a turnover rate of 2.1%.

Philip Rivers has been sacked on about 7.7% of his dropbacks (156), getting 7.5 yards per play with a touchdown rate of 5.1% against a turnover rate of 3.8%.

Russell Wilson has been sacked on about 8.8% of his dropbacks (137), getting 5.6 yards per play with a touchdown rate of 2.9% against a turnover rate of 1.5%.

Peyton Manning has been sacked on about 6.0% of his dropbacks (168), getting 5.3 yards per play with a touchdown rate of 3.6% against a turnover rate of 3.0%.

What a difference an offensive line and defense makes.

Yup and that IS the bottom line.People get so pumped for the new season that they forget that these are "our" Chiefs. Wilke I'm wondering if our prediction of 9-7 was a bit generous. How long until the new GM/Hc are on the hot seat? will 6-10 get either or fired?. I dont think so but some sacrificial lamb(2) will be slaughtered . Most likely coaches because players cost too much. I think matbe a real hard ass HC is called for

I nominate Andy Heck and if we have 3-4 more 30 point games surrendered that we don't win, Sutton needs to be examined. If we lose one more game, in the whole season, Andy Reid should stop calling plays. If that sounds strange, obviously, I already think he should not call plays. If we won out, I would change my tune.

I think the 3 teams the Chiefs have lost to are each 4-0 and are each legitimate Playoff Teams.

The Chiefs should have beaten the Broncos.....They choked it up.

The Chiefs had the bengals in a ballgame until the Kelce Fumble.....I want to point out that Kelce Fumbled after a 10 -yd gain on a  3RD and 30 deep in Chiefs Territory.....Braindead football IMO.

The holding on the DAT K/O return HURT....ALOT.

The biggest problems the Chiefs have:

1. The supposed BEST Defense in Football sucks balls.

2. The O-lIne is not synched at all on running plays ( Jamal Charles is the best RB in the game IMO) and they are HORRENDOUS on passing downs.

3. Reid.....He knows both of the above and the same shit continues to happen.

Overall, the Chiefs can go 9-3....Its up to the players.....They gotta take responsibility because the top two issues matter the most.

w

I think the 3 teams the Chiefs have lost to are each 4-0 and are each legitimate Playoff Teams.

The Chiefs should have beaten the Broncos.....They choked it up.

The Chiefs had the bengals in a ballgame until the Kelce Fumble.....I want to point out that Kelce Fumbled after a 10 -yd gain on a 3RD and 30 deep in Chiefs Territory.....Braindead football IMO.

The holding on the DAT K/O return HURT....ALOT.

The biggest problems the Chiefs have:

1. The supposed BEST Defense in Football sucks balls.

2. The O-lIne is not synched at all on running plays ( Jamal Charles is the best RB in the game IMO) and they are HORRENDOUS on passing downs.

3. Reid.....He knows both of the above and the same shit continues to happen.

Overall, the Chiefs can go 9-3....Its up to the players.....They gotta take responsibility because the top two issues matter the most.

w

7ypc again yesterday. Andy is a fucking moron. To think I was happy when we signed him.

I don't smoke....There are PLENTY of very good football players on the Chiefs Roster....They need to step up.

What part of "Can" are you missing?

w

"Can' and 'will" are definitely different.  For me, it is what we can do against GOOD teams, because that is the only thing that gets you in the playoffs.  Beating the riff raff is no kind of accomplishment for a squad that has this many good players.

"Can' and 'will" are definitely different.  For me, it is what we can do against GOOD teams, because that is the only thing that gets you in the playoffs.  Beating the riff raff is no kind of accomplishment for a squad that this many good players.

Agree. Who gives a damn if we beat the Texans, Bears, Raiders and any other shitty teams. That says nothing about your team. So what you beat bad teams? Who cares.

Coaching is bad, and Reid calling plays is insane.  Why on earth did Smith take nearly every snap from 7 yards back?  All that does is tell a defense that it is going to be a pass.  All they have to do is rush and mangle the QB. It makes an offense one-dimensional.  Any handoff from back there will end up in the RB hitting a brick wall, because all the gaps will be instantly closed.  Any tricks around the edge by a RB will be murdered by a mentally prepared DB or OLB, and we saw that.  To me, that is an utter and complete coaching and play-calling fiasco. The only thing I can think of to explain it is that the staff beiieves Smith is incapable of dropping  back quickly while seeing his options open up.  The saddest part is that they are probably right. If the line were experienced playing together, it might work.  But the QB of the OL who coordinates the line is the Center, and he is a ROOKIE.  What are they thinking? No matter how good he is as an athlete, you cannot start a rookie as a center.  Kush would have done better than that.

Coaching is bad, and Reid calling plays is insane.  Why on earth did Smith take nearly every snap from 7 yards back?  All that does is tell a defense that it is going to be a pass.  All they have to do is rush and mangle the QB. It makes an offense one-dimensional.  Any handoff from back there will end up in the RB hitting a brick wall, because all the gaps will be instantly closed.  Any tricks around the edge by a RB will be murdered by a mentally prepared DB or OLB, and we saw that.  To me, that is an utter and complete coaching and play-calling fiasco. The only thing I can think of to explain it is that the staff beiieves Smith is incapable of dropping  back quickly while seeing his options open up.  The saddest part is that they are probably right. If the line were experienced playing together, it might work.  But the QB of the OL who coordinates the line is the Center, and he is a ROOKIE.  What are they thinking? No matter how good he is as an athlete, you cannot start a rookie as a center.  Kush would have done better than that.

Thats the problem They are thinking and their thinking stinks.

Guest Okiechief1

7ypc again yesterday. Andy is a fucking moron. To think I was happy when we signed him.

He was the same way in philly, this isn't something new. He has always been a pass happy coach that will ignore the run at times.

As the Chiefs are currently performing as an organization, I think they are headed to a 5 - 11 record. Things can change. Perhaps Allen comes in and is outstanding at RG. Perhaps, Conley starts playing beyond what he has demonstrated in college and in pros. Perhaps the defense is fixed. Not likely. Things like this seldom turn around without changes.

The offensive line is broke. Zach Fulton was at RG almost the entire season last year. He got beat out by LDT. Yesterday, Fulton got another crack at it, and sucked. Fulton probably is a back up Center if he is anything in the league. He is not athletic enough, and his ceiling is low. Grubbs showed us why New Orleans wasted no time to jettison him from their team. Fisher played better at RT. Stephenson is a backup at LT. Morse looked like a moose on roller skates. This is not going to change between game 5 and game 16. LDT is a novice playing at the NFL level. He has the best chance of improving, but is going to look like heck. 

The defense is broke. Nelson has not improved to the point where the Chiefs trust him to play. Parker is a much better safety than a cb, but he is in at cb because Gaines is out for the year. The Chiefs are bad against the run, and their highly touted DL only got one sack against Cincinnati. 

The QB is broke. Alex Smith is beginning to have drewbledsoeitis. There is an instant that a play can be made, but it takes a quick decision. When a player is sacked so many times, the synapse begin to fire late. Memories of the past failed events begin to overcome the system. Instead of darting a pass, there is a moment of inaction, and then disaster. There is a cure for drewbledsoeitis, but the Chiefs decided they could do the exact opposite, and win. They figured wrong. A player like that needs an excellent offensive line to protect him beyond the point where the inaction becomes a tremendous problem. drewbledsoeitis is a terminal disease. It can not be fixed. Once, a player has that deer in the eye look it is over. Passes are too late. Eventually either sacks, weird interceptions or both begin to mount. It is not a good end. 

The coaches are broke. Starting with the head coach, Andy Reid. He needs to step down as offensive coordinator. The Chiefs have an offensive coordinator on staff, Doug Pederson, but is currently clicked over to override. The mysterious Brad Childress was, once upon a time, a very good offensive coordinator. Then he became head coach, and his career took a nose dive. Bob Sutton is currently a defensive coordinator... leave it at that. There are lots of issues, and the once star studded lineup of coaches are not getting the job done. 

Breaking down the teams ahead. 

Chicago - home game. Should be an easy win. This is too close to call

Minnesota - away game. Vikings almost beat Denver at Denver. Lose.

Pittsburgh - home game. With or without Roethlisberger we lose. 

Detroit - home game in London. lose. 

Denver - away game. Lose.

San Diego - away game. Lose.

Buffalo - home game. Lose.

Oakland - away game. Lose.

San Diego - home game. Maybe a win. Too close to call. 

Baltimore - away game. Lose.

Cleveland - home game. Win.

Oakland - home game. Win. 

Looking at the defenses KC will have to play, it does not look good for Alex Smith. 

Adding it all up, the Chiefs could manage between 4 and 6 wins this year, considering the opening day win to hapless Houston. That is generally not good enough to make it to the playoffs. It is generally good enough to earn a fairly good pick in the draft. 

Adding it all up, the Chiefs could manage between 4 and 6 wins this year, considering the opening day win to hapless Houston. That is generally not good enough to make it to the playoffs. It is generally good enough to earn a fairly good pick in the draft.

which the chiefs will manage to screw up by drafting another reach or "Project"

Player's coach vs. Disciplinarian 

It seems teams tend to swing from one to the other. At various points, Andy Reid was a bit of a mix, but mostly he was a player's coach. I believe the next person up to bat will be a disciplinarian. NFL teams are made up of guys who have been coddled through high school, and college. Very few are mature enough to handle life without the discipline of a strong coach. The Chiefs have some very strong personalities, who argue against that. Jamaal Charles, Justin Houston, Derrick Johnson, and Tamba Hali are grown men playing a boy's game. There are others on this team who step it up on their own as well. However, as with any team, the majority require a swift kick to the butt ever now and then. Hopefully, the next guy up will have the wisdom to know which players are grown, and which need to be directed. 

Archived