The cold light of the next day

Ever notice when you suffer an emotional setback or you have a big decision to make,  things always look different after a good night's sleep.  Sleep physically removes you from the decision and the stress for a period of time.  And when you return to it you see it somewhat differently than you did when it first happened?

That's kind of how I felt about KC yesterday.   Yesterday I was disappointed.  Not so much by the fact that they lost.  I expected that.  But the way they lost.   They didn't make a fight of it until it was way too late.  I have watched this happen more times than many of you are old.  But hope springs eternal and I keep buying into the 1 Arrowhead Drive mantra that "this could be the year".

Well sleep has a way of putting these things in perspective.  For whatever reason it has happened so many times,  I am perplexed and confused.   Makes absolutely no sense to me.   But I am over the disappointment.  What I am now is resigned to the fate.

Another mediocre season.  Another 8 and 8 season.  I do not think we lay this at the foot of Alex Smith or Andy Reid or Bob Sutton.   Seems to me the culprit changes every week.  

Simple matter is we were oversold the strength of this football team.  And we bought into it because....and this is the part that is hard to deny.... we WANTED it to be true.   And it isn't. 

When we evaluated the strengths and weaknesses of this team at the beginning of the season we based our evaluations on what happened in 2014.   That is normal.  We had no sample size for this year.  But we forgot one thing.   In the National Football League,  you either get better or you get worse.   The one thing that is true is that football talent never stays the same.

So we expect Eric Berry to be as good as he was two years ago.  And Tamba Hali.  And Allen Bailey.  And Alex Smith.  And when we do our evaluations we check these off as being reliable.   And the fact is... talents decline.   Opposing coaches having 8 months to evaluate talent from last year figure out how to take people out of their strengths.  

And so it is.  Ben Grubbs was a definite plus in my talent evaluation.   Based upon last year.   Marcus Cooper was in that same position two years ago. 

We collectively made Albert Wilson a starting wide receiver based upon a small sample size from last years accomplishment.  And DAT.   And the fact is,  we oversold our existing talent and we oversold our newly acquired talent.

And that is not on the Chiefs.  That is on us.  No scapegoat for quashing our expectations. 

IMHOP we are still an 8 and 8 football team with a much harder schedule than two years ago. 

Nothing so far has proven me wrong.

Ever notice when you suffer an emotional setback or you have a big decision to make,  things always look different after a good night's sleep.  Sleep physically removes you from the decision and the stress for a period of time.  And when you return to it you see it somewhat differently than you did when it first happened?

That's kind of how I felt about KC yesterday.   Yesterday I was disappointed.  Not so much by the fact that they lost.  I expected that.  But the way they lost.   They didn't make a fight of it until it was way too late.  I have watched this happen more times than many of you are old.  But hope springs eternal and I keep buying into the 1 Arrowhead Drive mantra that "this could be the year".

Well sleep has a way of putting these things in perspective.  For whatever reason it has happened so many times,  I am perplexed and confused.   Makes absolutely no sense to me.   But I am over the disappointment.  What I am now is resigned to the fate.

Another mediocre season.  Another 8 and 8 season.  I do not think we lay this at the foot of Alex Smith or Andy Reid or Bob Sutton.   Seems to me the culprit changes every week.  

Simple matter is we were oversold the strength of this football team.  And we bought into it because....and this is the part that is hard to deny.... we WANTED it to be true.   And it isn't. 

When we evaluated the strengths and weaknesses of this team at the beginning of the season we based our evaluations on what happened in 2014.   That is normal.  We had no sample size for this year.  But we forgot one thing.   In the National Football League,  you either get better or you get worse.   The one thing that is true is that football talent never stays the same.

So we expect Eric Berry to be as good as he was two years ago.  And Tamba Hali.  And Allen Bailey.  And Alex Smith.  And when we do our evaluations we check these off as being reliable.   And the fact is... talents decline.   Opposing coaches having 8 months to evaluate talent from last year figure out how to take people out of their strengths.  

And so it is.  Ben Grubbs was a definite plus in my talent evaluation.   Based upon last year.   Marcus Cooper was in that same position two years ago. 

We collectively made Albert Wilson a starting wide receiver based upon a small sample size from last years accomplishment.  And DAT.   And the fact is,  we oversold our existing talent and we oversold our newly acquired talent.

And that is not on the Chiefs.  That is on us.  No scapegoat for quashing our expectations. 

IMHOP we are still an 8 and 8 football team with a much harder schedule than two years ago. 

Nothing so far has proven me wrong

Did our players really get worse, or have teams figured us out?

I think it's more of team's figuring us out.

To beat the defense: The Blue print is easy. The chiefs play mostly man and press man. Just find the match up you want (anyone not being covered by S. Smith or Marcus Peters), and get the ball out quickly. Easy peasy.

To stop the offense: - Stack the box (to stop JC) Play press man with a safety over Jeremy Maclin and stunt the dline to confuse our shitty interior linemen. = 7 FGs.

It's clear that the defense is not the strength of this team. It's also clear that the offensive line is completely holding the offense hostage. This is a team capable of beating weaker teams soundly, but ill-equipped to beat well-rounded teams that execute well and play mistake-free football.

The Chiefs really only need either their offensive line or their defense to execute at an NFL-average level for the Chiefs to be able to compete with good teams. In week one, it was the Chiefs' offensive line that struggled, but the defense held long enough for the Chiefs' offense to do its damage. In week two, the Chiefs actually got enough out of their offensive line and defense for the win, but three fumbles ruined an adequate effort otherwise. In weeks three and four, neither offensive line nor defense came through, and the reality of this team was on full display.

The Kansas City defense has given up more points per game than any other defense in the league except for that of the Chicago Bears with whom they are tied, whose defense wasn't spelled as much as Kansas City's. The Kansas City defense ranks 29th in yardage allowed, and they are tied for 24th in the league with six other teams for turnovers forced per game, and are tied for 9th in the league with seven other teams for sacks per game.

The Chiefs played a string of tough opponents, and that no doubt had a bearing on their defensive statistics, but the Chiefs will not win many games where their defense is giving up over 19 yards and over 1.5 points for every minute that the opposing offense is on the field. The Bengals' offense is good, but it's not that good. The Ravens allowed a little over 15 yards and less than a point for every minute that the Bengals' offense was on the field (even though the Ravens' defense was on the field for seven minutes more than the Chiefs'), the Chargers allowed 13 yards and 0.8 points for every minute the Bengals' offense was on the field, and even the Raiders' defense allowed just over 12 yards and just over 1 point per minute to the Bengals' offense. More was expected from the Chiefs' defense than this.

To beat the defense: The Blue print is easy. The chiefs play mostly man and press man. Just find the match up you want (anyone not being covered by S. Smith or Marcus Peters), and get the ball out quickly. Easy peasy.

Or you can just hand the ball off and watch your runningbacks break through the arm-tackles for touchdowns on rushes of 8 yards, 13 yards, 5 yards, and 1 yard. A two-point conversion in the same manner never hurts either. The Chiefs' run defense gave up 29 points yesterday. Unacceptable.

Or you can just hand the ball off and watch your runningbacks break through the arm-tackles for touchdowns on rushes of 8 yards, 13 yards, 5 yards, and 1 yard. A two-point conversion in the same manner never hurts either. The Chiefs' run defense gave up 29 points yesterday. Unacceptable.

Why do we always have the most non-creative coaching? Why not play some hybrid defenses? Put Baily, Howard, Poe, divito in a 4-3 down there? Mix it up for god sake!

I agree my friend. I think the defenses' lack of productivity is surprising to everyone! We all thought that the def would be the strength of this team. Our secondary is not performing up to par and where is Houston??

Poe is being outperformed by Howard, and DJ got the Tackle record. Soooo, that's where we are I guess.

I agree my friend. I think the defenses' lack of productivity is surprising to everyone! We all thought that the def would be the strength of this team. Our secondary is not performing up to par and where is Houston??

Poe is being outperformed by Howard, and DJ got the Tackle record. Soooo, that's where we are I guess.

Horrible scheme and play calling. Tamba is fucking covering wide outs!

that is basic tackling 100, never arm tackle, it was pathetic

Archived