Steve Young Talks about Alex Smith

I saw that article and it's all true, even still, with the score was 21 to 15 when Kelce fumbled. Without one of the field goals and without an INT instead, the score would be 21 to 12. Where with the score 21 to 15 if Kelce didn't fumble, we could get the ball back and maybe manage one touchdown.

He's our QB for this year and next. No guarantees after that or if there is a coaching change. He is what he is. I like Alex Smith, but he absolutely drives me crazy. He needs that attitude to win in situations by making things happen or at least daring to be decisive. He is not error prone, unless he pulls the bone head play. He goes along and plays mistake free, and then it is like the voice in the back of his head reminds himself to be assertive. That voice is always wrong. It is artificial. You either have a gut for it or you don't. He don't. Watching Montana play showed how to make it happen when it had to happen. He is not Montana, and never will be. He is Alex Smith. Either Reid needs to coach to his skill set or go off into retirement. 

The Chiefs can win with Alex Smith. They have to provide him with absolutely stellar protection, and run the ball to take the pressure off. Reid got the memo backwards. Reid forgets to run the ball, and the Chiefs have less than average pass protection. 

If I were the coach, I would sit him down. A 31 year old vet should not have a mental meltdown over being benched. Sure, his numbers look good. We can say he did alright in the middle of the field last Sunday. I don't give a crap about numbers. I don't give a crap about fantasy points. I care about wins and losses, and what I saw, and have seen is a player who is not a great fit for this team. 

The Chiefs might have lost three of the four games, and still not lost the locker room. They lost the locker room. They know their efforts on game day will not matter. They feel cheated of what could have been. You have a gut feeling for this. I have played sports, and nice losses feel horrible. It is hard to recover from a nice loss. I would rather throw everything out there, and lose by twenty than to risk nothing and lose by seven. 

I didn't play much football. I got hurt off the field pretty bad, and lost a year. My knees were just not good enough to do anything after that. I played other sports, but my love was always football. I have relatives who played in the NFL. When I did play, I remember our coach was an idiot. We were down in a game, and he wanted to play it safe. We lost nicely. I yelled at him, and got kicked off the team for a week. He was too much of a wuss to make it any longer. It made me sick. I never understood the concept of playing it close to a loss. If you are behind in the final seconds, foul. Don't let the other team win by running out the clock. If you lose, lose not from lack of effort. 

Alex Smith is a nice guy. I used to think Andy Reid was a nice guy (now I think he harbors insults, and scorn). Nice guys, and I'm not talking about Christian ethics, but milk toast behavior.. that will get you killed. 

He's our QB for this year and next. No guarantees after that or if there is a coaching change. He is what he is. I like Alex Smith, but he absolutely drives me crazy. He needs that attitude to win in situations by making things happen or at least daring to be decisive. He is not error prone, unless he pulls the bone head play. He goes along and plays mistake free, and then it is like the voice in the back of his head reminds himself to be assertive. That voice is always wrong. It is artificial. You either have a gut for it or you don't. He don't. Watching Montana play showed how to make it happen when it had to happen. He is not Montana, and never will be. He is Alex Smith. Either Reid needs to coach to his skill set or go off into retirement. 

The Chiefs can win with Alex Smith. They have to provide him with absolutely stellar protection, and run the ball to take the pressure off. Reid got the memo backwards. Reid forgets to run the ball, and the Chiefs have less than average pass protection. 

If I were the coach, I would sit him down. A 31 year old vet should not have a mental meltdown over being benched. Sure, his numbers look good. We can say he did alright in the middle of the field last Sunday. I don't give a crap about numbers. I don't give a crap about fantasy points. I care about wins and losses, and what I saw, and have seen is a player who is not a great fit for this team. 

The Chiefs might have lost three of the four games, and still not lost the locker room. They lost the locker room. They know their efforts on game day will not matter. They feel cheated of what could have been. You have a gut feeling for this. I have played sports, and nice losses feel horrible. It is hard to recover from a nice loss. I would rather throw everything out there, and lose by twenty than to risk nothing and lose by seven. 

I didn't play much football. I got hurt off the field pretty bad, and lost a year. My knees were just not good enough to do anything after that. I played other sports, but my love was always football. I have relatives who played in the NFL. When I did play, I remember our coach was an idiot. We were down in a game, and he wanted to play it safe. We lost nicely. I yelled at him, and got kicked off the team for a week. He was too much of a wuss to make it any longer. It made me sick. I never understood the concept of playing it close to a loss. If you are behind in the final seconds, foul. Don't let the other team win by running out the clock. If you lose, lose not from lack of effort. 

Alex Smith is a nice guy. I used to think Andy Reid was a nice guy (now I think he harbors insults, and scorn). Nice guys, and I'm not talking about Christian ethics, but milk toast behavior.. that will get you killed. 

When I don't completely agree with something you post, I usually find an element in your posts that I agree with. I really don't get more from you in this post than a 'gut feeling', one for which I don't see a basis.

What makes you think that Reid has lost the locker room?

What makes you think that Smith can't help his team win games unless he has "stellar" (an adjective I equate to "top-tier" or "elite") pass protection (which he has never had at any time during his career, nor has he ever had even "second-tier" pass protection)?

Who would be a great fit for this team at quarterback that is presently not on the roster?

This feels like a post you wrote out of frustration, rather than your measured, reasoned responses I am more familiar with. I don't expect you to be super-high on Smith, but you didn't acknowledge that Smith is on pace to pass for over 4,000 yards this year (if he doesn't start missing games because of all of the sacks he is taking), that Smith personally accounts for over 76% of the team's total offensive yardage (in 2013 he accounted for 64.5% of the team's total offensive yardage), that Smith's offense has quietly achieved a 14th-place ranking by offensive yardage per game, a similar ranking in offensive points per game, a ninth-best in league offensive time of possession, and ninth-best in league first downs per game (tied with Aaron Rodgers' Packers) all against a schedule that has included three elite defenses. And it's not like Smith's numbers are all coming in garbage time.

The Chiefs are struggling in the red zone, which is exactly where an offensive coordinator becomes very limited in his options to scheme in order to protect the quarterback. The linemen are losing their battles up front, and it's killing drives that would otherwise go for seven points instead of three. You blame Smith for this and cite examples such as Rodgers and Brady as your basis for 'quarterbacks that succeed despite their offensive line's troubles', but it's really not an appropriate comparison seeing as the Patriots and Packers don't have the league's 30th-best pass protection (according to Pro Football Focus).

When I don't completely agree with something you post, I usually find an element in your posts that I agree with. I really don't get more from you in this post than a 'gut feeling', one for which I don't see a basis.

What makes you think that Reid has lost the locker room?

What makes you think that Smith can't help his team win games unless he has "stellar" (an adjective I equate to "top-tier" or "elite") pass protection (which he has never had at any time during his career, nor has he ever had even "second-tier" pass protection)?

Who would be a great fit for this team at quarterback that is presently not on the roster?

This feels like a post you wrote out of frustration, rather than your measured, reasoned responses I am more familiar with. I don't expect you to be super-high on Smith, but you didn't acknowledge that Smith is on pace to pass for over 4,000 yards this year (if he doesn't start missing games because of all of the sacks he is taking), that Smith personally accounts for over 76% of the team's total offensive yardage (in 2013 he accounted for 64.5% of the team's total offensive yardage), that Smith's offense has quietly achieved a 14th-place ranking by offensive yardage per game, a similar ranking in offensive points per game, a ninth-best in league offensive time of possession, and ninth-best in league first downs per game (tied with Aaron Rodgers' Packers) all against a schedule that has included three elite defenses. And it's not like Smith's numbers are all coming in garbage time.

The Chiefs are struggling in the red zone, which is exactly where an offensive coordinator becomes very limited in his options to scheme in order to protect the quarterback. The linemen are losing their battles up front, and it's killing drives that would otherwise go for seven points instead of three. You blame Smith for this and cite examples such as Rodgers and Brady as your basis for 'quarterbacks that succeed despite their offensive line's troubles', but it's really not an appropriate comparison seeing as the Patriots and Packers don't have the league's 30th-best pass protection (according to Pro Football Focus).

Very Well said!!! Smith get to much of the blame. Line up in a traditional running formation and run the damn ball i don't care if we go 3 and out for the 1st 5 possessions, stop the draw and pistol bullshit! Then start running some play action and some misdirection the WR and Kelce will be open. Where is Marty and Paul Hackett when you need them. RUN THE FUCKIN BALL!!

Archived