Season's over

I completely agree with everything you said. Just tired of it never being my turn or my teams turn. I am almost to the point, I may possibly just quit watching professional sports all together, it never works out for me.

App, I have thought about this as well. We have to learn to not take it so seriously.  I have friends who are football fans who's attitude is just like Wilkie or Broncostud. They like their teams, just like we do, but look at things very realistically.

It's not an easy thing to do because I love the Chiefs, but it's the only way to be if you don't want to keep being let down. 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guest Okiechief1

I can't put the Royals on the same disappointment list as the Chiefs. Disappointed they are gonna lose but not even close to being disappointed in them as a team.

• 2 months later...

I love seeing all the optimism...NOW! Hated to do it but had to bump this one to the top.

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

I was waiting until we clinched a playoff spot before bumping any threads. And when I did, it would'nt've been an "I told you so" bump. I don't think I would have bumped this thread unless we won the Super Bowl. I hope your faux pas doesn't hurt us.

After the Chicago game, I was on an all time low with this version of the Chiefs. They lost one more after that game, and then began to turn the season around against Pittsburgh. What would have happened had Roethlisberger played in that game? I don't know, but that might not have been a win. The Chiefs have had a bit of good fortune along the way. 

After the Chicago game, I was on an all time low with this version of the Chiefs. They lost one more after that game, and then began to turn the season around against Pittsburgh. What would have happened had Roethlisberger played in that game? I don't know, but that might not have been a win. The Chiefs have had a bit of good fortune along the way. 

I don't care. We might have won the Chicago game if Charles had not been injured. Same with Minnesota. We won the Steelers game without Charles and before we figured out life without Charles. Where luck came in was that the Steelers are an AFC team, so that win, instead of a Chicago win, gives us tie-breaking advantages, as well as the head to head over the Steelers, should there be a two way tie.

I was waiting until we clinched a playoff spot before bumping any threads. And when I did, it would'nt've been an "I told you so" bump. I don't think I would have bumped this thread unless we won the Super Bowl. I hope your faux pas doesn't hurt us.

Where to start...

First of all...there is no "I told you so" involved here at all. As chiefmanzada said...it was an unbelievable turnaround. Just pointing out the old cliche "it ain't over until it's over".

Secondly...this thread wasn't about going to the Super Bowl or not. It was whether the season was over or not. We are in the thick of it now and we have a good chance of getting into the postseason. I think most of us are happy about that compared to the disgust we fans felt earlier.

Finally...I seriously doubt anything I say or do will have any bearing on how the Chiefs perform on Sunday and beyond. If you would be more specific as to the "faux pas" I committed I would be happy to correct it. Thank you.

Where to start...

First of all...there is no "I told you so" involved here at all. As chiefmanzada said...it was an unbelievable turnaround. Just pointing out the old cliche "it ain't over until it's over".

Secondly...this thread wasn't about going to the Super Bowl or not. It was whether the season was over or not. We are in the thick of it now and we have a good chance of getting into the postseason. I think most of us are happy about that compared to the disgust we fans felt earlier.

Finally...I seriously doubt anything I say or do will have any bearing on how the Chiefs perform on Sunday and beyond. If you would be more specific as to the "faux pas" I committed I would be happy to correct it. Thank you.

I was assuring others that I wasn't going to do an I told you so type of post even though I said I was planning a bump. Nothing about you or your post. My fault.

I was joking that bumping the season's over thread would look awful right before a loss to unclinch the playoffs or in the playoffs short of the SB. It was about jinxing and the faux pas was the jinxing. I was joking.

I was assuring others that I wasn't going to do an I told you so type of post even though I said I was planning a bump. Nothing about you or your post. My fault.

I was joking that bumping the season's over thread would look awful right before a loss to unclinch the playoffs or in the playoffs short of the SB. It was about jinxing and the faux pas was the jinxing. I was joking.

Got it...no harm no foul. Go Chiefs!

App, it's over.  As a fan you should want a change at the front office and coaching staff, and that will only come if the train derails.  Dorsey/Reid isn't your answer, time to be realistic and hope that change is coming, and yes, the season is absolutely over.  Alex Smith is done as even a decent starting QB, he's regressed to the point of being a backup now.

This is my favorite post of the thread. Not just because BroncostuRd was wrong - we all thought the season was over. But it is one thing for a Chiefs fan to grudgingly acknowledge it - quite another for a troll to say so gloating. The real delight is his "insightful" analysis of Alex Smith as a QB. Some around here defend this troll as "realistic". I'd say clueless.

After rereading this thread, I take back everything I said about not bumping this thread. There were some serious overreactions. I don't blame anybody. Well, perhaps Bronco, but I blame him for everything, burning the toast, the neighbors dog barking all night, etc.

I feel our team did pretty well for itself after losing Charles and not many people thought we would. Perhaps teams stacked the box more not because they knew we couldn't stretch the field, but rather that we wouldn't when we had a threat like Charles. We overused him in the wrong way. We still could've used him as much but correctly. Without Charles, we went elsewhere and teams knew we might go elsewhere. We still have our share of short passes, obviously, but is not a hindsight thing. Defenses have to think a little bit more about the whole field, even though they won't have to think as much as Aaron Rodgers lead team. No one fears us there, but practically speaking, it's prudent to prepare a little bit now.

While Smith is not a worldbeater, I felt it was too early to declare him less than a decent quarterback. I didn't say anything because I knew it would appear as biased and it would be. He has a lease done that and some would say that he has taken a small step forward cents. Not claiming a changed man, but a little bit more at least.

The Chiefs will eventually replace him, but I don't think he had regressed to the point where he couldn't get back to at least where he was before. I never thought that and I don't think anyone should have, even after one and five. Returning to being a decent quarterback wasn't that big of a stretch. This is not even calling him good.

If it were one of our guys stating it, I probably would've let it be, but an outsider saying it doesn't sound reasonable and therefore sounds like a stretch. There should be no emotional reaction to create an overstatement by somebody who is not invested in the team. Again, saying he would not be good would not have been a stretch.

As far as the comments about Andy Reid, I think those still ring true, but nobody talked about his ability to adjust. I didn't say anything in this thread, so I am not pounding my chest, but I think that was underrated about him. I will leave alone erasers comment that we might not win another game, l because that falls under the hopeless fan of the team who is truly invested.

Hated the losing streak. Love the winning streak. If we end up with a 10 game winning streak and lose the first game of the playoffs then this season is a failure. If we win the first game then I would meet my expectations before the season. Anything more would be icing. As far as criticism while 1-5? Deserved.

Were we wrong? No, the Chiefs were headed the wrong direction. At that time, there was no hope for them to pull an 180, and win ten straight. Who could have presumed after losing Jamaal Charles, the Chiefs would develop a reasonable OL, that would allow Smith just enough time to connect with receivers? Jamaal Charles is very good at blocking, so his departure should have had a negative affect on passing protection. How would the loss of Jamaal Charles make the defense improve? Yet before Charles' injury, the Chiefs' defense was about average. Since his loss, the Chiefs have become one of the best. 

The Chiefs started well against Houston, but Houston was not a very good team when they played. In truth, Kansas City wasn't much of a team then either. They came home to Arrowhead to face a Denver team that was supposed to be stacked to repeat as division champion. Yet, the Broncos were lopsided, as their defense was far superior to their offense. It wasn't just Manning, but the entire offense that was mediocre. The Chiefs should have won that game, but the team they faced was hardly a Goliath. 

The Chiefs fell apart after the Denver loss. Perhaps they knew they should have won the game against the Broncos. Perhaps they knew their own team didn't measure up. The one thing we know is they did not show up against Green Bay. The ten point loss was hardly indicative of their failure. The outcome could only deepen the doubts.

The Chiefs managed to rally their troups against Cincinnati. Somehow, the Chiefs were able to score four times, against only twice for the Bengals in the first half. Unfortunately, those four scores came on field goals, while the Bengals were able to get touchdowns. The second half, Cincinnati began to dominate the Chiefs. In the end, the Chiefs may have sent Cairo Santos to the pro bowl, but did little more. The only good news was the Chiefs' next game was going to be at Arrowhead against the struggling Bears. 

Kansas City blew yet another game, and the Chiefs had to suck up another loss, but even worse, they lost Jamaal Charles. Charles was a bright spot for the Chiefs. His total offensive production was 25 % greater than the previous season. He was averaging 5.1 yards per run, and 8.4 yards per catch. Then, without being touched, Jamaal was down, and finished for the season. To make things worse, like a dagger to the gut, the Chiefs gave the Bears just enough opening to win in the final minutes of the game. 

At this point, Chiefs fans in this forum were aware their favored team had reached a low. Chicago was to be the game the Chiefs would turn things around. Nearly one third of the season in, the Chiefs won only one game, and at that point the team they beat was one of the worst teams in the NFL. No wonder we felt the hope was lost. 

After this game, when most fans gave up, the Chiefs lost yet another game. 

I don't think there should be a call for fans to eat crow. They weren't wrong. They were dead on. Only a resurgence, hardly seen in the past, has put the Chiefs where they are. They caught some breaks. They played better. They coached better. They gained momentum. 

Its been a roller coaster season. Its not over. The Chiefs almost lost to San Diego last week. Had the Chargers scored a touchdown, they would have gone for the win, not overtime. The Chiefs have three games ahead. On paper, they should win each. In fact, there is risk in every game they will play. If they win the next few games, and enter the playoffs, then they will complete one of the most unfathomable reversals in history. 

I believe in freedom of speech, but wish this thread would have been left alone until after the last game.

Haha, just what I said, but I said it in a foot in mouth kind of way. In my ideal world, I would bump this thread after winning the Super Bowl. Because then the season would be over and we would be happiest.

My dad is not a professional football fan but he wants my team to win so he follows the Chiefs with me. He is the king of say nothing when it comes to saying his opinion on how a game or season will go. I don't know if he just doesn't want to be wrong or whatnot. After the Chicago or Minnesota game, he said that he thought my season was over. That came at a surprise for me for him to say anything. I hope we can continue to keep our season going.

The Chiefs will break a record for the most wins in a row after 5 losses. For them to reach the playoffs, if may take 10 straight wins. This would exceed any expectation by a reasonable person. 

What the Chiefs have done so far, in coming back to relevance, is historic. A win today, and the Chiefs are in the history books. This is uncharted territory. So, when we say the Chiefs have to win a playoff game or their season is a failure, that is pretty harsh. This version of the Chiefs have done a lot. I hope they continue this streak right up to the Super Bowl. However, we are now playing on borrowed money. Anything else is bonus.  

I also posted horrible things about Smith and the organization, too, at that point.  I watched timidly parts of games, then complete games in astonishment as the wins piled up and became so embarrassed by my overreaction, that I stayed away from this forum for weeks.  Apparently, this roster IS talented, though nowhere close yet to a Super Bowl, but getting closer. Still need O-line work, another top CB, maybe another LB or so. I had zero idea that Berry could play at this level or withstand the rigors of a full season after having had chemotherapy. I had no idea that DJ could regain his full effectiveness, which is just as miraculous. 

The most telling thing is the way players have described the family locker room atmosphere, the mentoring by older players, and the faith they maintained in themselves and the coaching staff. Its quite a story, but BroncoStud's gloating was something we all did to him, when the Chiefs dismantled them due to the aging and foot problems of Manning. Osweiler has been a decent backup. But BroncoStud's evaluation of the Chiefs was no worse than the rest of us, and no more wrong.  At that point, losing Charles seemed like a death sentence.  I had no idea that West and especially Ware were so talented or that the O-line would start to protect Smith.  I also underestimated Smith's intelliigence and vision down the field.

My bad.

Archived