Season's over

I also posted horrible things about Smith and the organization, too, at that point. I watched timidly parts of games, then complete games in astonishment as the wins piled up and became so embarrassed by my overreaction, that I stayed away from this forum for weeks. Apparently, this roster IS talented, though nowhere close yet to a Super Bowl, but getting closer. Still need O-line work, another top CB, maybe another LB or so. I had zero idea that Berry could play at this level or withstand the rigors of a full season after having had chemotherapy. I had no idea that DJ could regain his full effectiveness, which is just as miraculous.

The most telling thing is the way players have described the family locker room atmosphere, the mentoring by older players, and the faith they maintained in themselves and the coaching staff. Its quite a story, but BroncoStud's gloating was something we all did to him, when the Chiefs dismantled them due to the aging and foot problems of Manning. Osweiler has been a decent backup. But BroncoStud's evaluation of the Chiefs was no worse than the rest of us, and no more wrong. At that point, losing Charles seemed like a death sentence. I had no idea that West and especially Ware were so talented or that the O-line would start to protect Smith. I also underestimated Smith's intelliigence and vision down the field.

My bad.

I put his and our evaluations at 51/49 respectively in wrongfulness because he's on our forum. ;)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was really disappointed in the Chiefs also.  I just figured that I didn't pay attention or know enough about football, because I thought they would be better. When Charles went down, I really thought it was over.  I even went so far as to stop watching games, and just came on here to be miserable about the team with everyone else. 

When they won their first game after the losing streak, I was just happy for a win. I thought it would be just another sub .500 season with some wins here & there that I could watch and try to enjoy. After they beat the Broncos, even with a crippled Manning; I started getting more excited. It showed me they hadn't given up.

I don't like that they went 1-5 but it's making it a fun season. I just want them to keep it going and I think they can.

They were playing like garbage during the 1-5 streak and people with eyeballs noticed and wrote about it. Thinking a season is over at 1-5 is not outrageous. I'm very happy with the 8 game streak. If the Chiefs don't win at least 1 playoff game this season is a disappointment regardless of how they got to their record. The streak would just be consolation, a moral victory. A lot of teams have made impressive turnarounds. None have done anything yet. Keep it tempered people.

Boy oh boy...how important are turnovers in a game? Compare the Bronco game at Arrowhead during the losing streak vs. the game yesterday. I thought we would win IF we played clean football. Got them to turn it over. This is now what Chiefs football looks like.

Sure is.

I think we tease the other football team in the first quarter to see what they're going to run then put the clamps on them

Don't get carried away.  Remember that they beat us statistically on offense against our defense.  Both Rivers and then Claussen passed almost at will against us the last two weeks.  The difference Sunday was turnovers and stupid mistakes by the Ravens.  Ridiculous roughing the passer out of bounds.  A fumble that Branch picked up and ran all the way back.  The only reason we intercepted and put the clamps on them in the fourth quarter was because they HAD to pass to catch up. There are several teams that would spank us like naughty children when we play them in the playoffs. We are not an elite team yet.

Don't get carried away.  Remember that they beat us statistically on offense against our defense.  Both Rivers and then Claussen passed almost at will against us the last two weeks.  The difference Sunday was turnovers and stupid mistakes by the Ravens.  Ridiculous roughing the passer out of bounds.  A fumble that Branch picked up and ran all the way back.  The only reason we intercepted and put the clamps on them in the fourth quarter was because they HAD to pass to catch up. There are several teams that would spank us like naughty children when we play them in the playoffs. We are not an elite team yet.

Doom and Gloomer alert!!

When the Chiefs were 1-5 and the Donks were 6-0, who would have thought that there is a current scenario where the Chiefs could make the playoffs and the Donks could miss out.

The whole remote chance of getting a bye has muddied up my rooting interest. Normally, I would just root for Denver to lose out. However, Denver losing out would prevent us from getting a bye. Therefore, we have to root for Denver to win this week and lose the next and the Bengals to lose out. Neither are really likely. So playing the odds, I guess we are rooting for the Bengals this week.

Don't get carried away. Remember that they beat us statistically on offense against our defense. Both Rivers and then Claussen passed almost at will against us the last two weeks. The difference Sunday was turnovers and stupid mistakes by the Ravens. Ridiculous roughing the passer out of bounds. A fumble that Branch picked up and ran all the way back. The only reason we intercepted and put the clamps on them in the fourth quarter was because they HAD to pass to catch up. There are several teams that would spank us like naughty children when we play them in the playoffs. We are not an elite team yet.

50 yard Hail Mary. And they were behind the whole game right? So they needed to pass.

The Chiefs are not going to win a bye, but it is nice to dream. For that to happen would truly be a miracle. Cincinnati can lose out. They have to rely on AJ McCarron not making mistakes. I can definitely see Denver beating the Bengals at Mile High. However, they will have to lose to the Ravens the following week, and that is a home game for the Bengals. We saw the Ravens play, and they have issues. Even if that were to happen, the Broncos will have to lose a home game to the Chargers. 

The best chance for the Chiefs to gain a bye in the playoffs was lost when they blew the home game against Denver. They still have to win at least one more game, and hope for a loss by either NYJ or PITT. Otherwise, they have to win both of their final games. I think they will do just that. However, you can never take anything for granted in the NFL. 

In my opinion, the best path for the Chiefs may be through the wild card game. If they were to be the #5 team, and have to travel to Houston #4, Houston is decimated, and is now down to Brandon Weeden as their starting QB. KC should be favored in that game. The Steelers will be the likely #6 WC team. They will probably travel to Cincinnati, where I predict the Steelers will win. New England will then await the worst ranked team, which will be Pittsburgh. The Broncos will get a week off, but will have to face the red hot Kansas City Chiefs at Mile High. The Chiefs can definitely win that game. That will put KC in the championship game. It will either be at Arrowhead against the Steelers, or at Gillette Stadium against a decimated New England team. 

The main thing the Chiefs have to do is win. They can assure themselves of no less than a #5 wild card spot by beating the final two opponents. Entering the playoffs, the Chiefs should be the healthiest of any AFC contender. They lost Jamaal, but have proved to be able to win without him. 

Doom and Gloomer alert!!

I said "yet."  I think we are becoming a top team.  We just are not there yet, and people should not get carried away.  Beginning next season and for several years after, I am as enthusiastic as anyone.  But looking at the stats and who we have played this second half, the injuries to starting QB's of the teams we have beaten, etc.  you have to admit that this has been a fun ride based on a mixture of talent, good fortune, extensive injuries to the teams we have played, and our tight defense against the run. I have enjoyed the hell out of this, but DON'T GET CARRIED AWAY.  Against the top six or seven teams, we would lose.  Anyone who cannot see that is a blind homer.  We play two bad teams to finish the regular season.  Good.  We might finish 11-5.  But I would not bet my own money on a playoff victory.

If the starting quarterback is injured, that's why we won. If their starting quarterback was great and we win, it's because everyone else was bad. If their starting quarterback was bad and we win, it's because the QB is worthless. Rolls eyes.

We played the schedule that was in front of us and we played the players who were in front of us. We won the games we won and we lost against those we lost. We deserved all the wins and losses because we've had our injuries, too.

I'm not putting an asterisk on any of those. This team is no fraud. We have the ability to beat any of these teams with all their starting players. Would we be the favorites? Not all the time, but we can beat any of them and not on just in an "any given Sunday" situation. If we can beat them, I'm not conceding defeat, nor am I going to give them any hypothetical wins. Just the same, we can't can't count our chickens before they hatch.

I am scared of no one because we can beat them and I'm scared of everyone because we could lose. The latter part has always been that way for me.

If the starting quarterback is injured, that's why we won. If their starting quarterback was great and we win, it's because everyone else was bad. If their starting quarterback was bad and we win, it's because the QB is worthless. Rolls eyes.

We played the schedule that was in front of us and we played the players who were in front of us. We won the games we won and we lost against those we lost. We deserved all the wins and losses because we've had our injuries, too.

I'm not putting an asterisk on any of those. This team is no fraud. We have the ability to beat any of these teams with all their starting players. Would we be the favorites? Not all the time, but we can beat any of them and not on just in an "any given Sunday" situation. If we can beat them, I'm not conceding defeat, nor am I going to give them any hypothetical wins. Just the same, we can't can't count our chickens before they hatch.

I am scared of no one because we can beat them and I'm scared of everyone because we could lose. The latter part has always been that way for me.

Honestly, I think we would own NE. We match up so well.

Honestly, I think we would own NE. We match up so well.

I wouldn't go that far. You know Belicheat is going to want to run up the score on us as payback for embarrassing him last year. I don't think our D would allow that. I also fear NE more than Pitt, though.

I wouldn't go that far. You know Belicheat is going to want to run up the score on us as payback for embarrassing him last year. I don't think our D would allow that. I also fear NE more than Pitt, though.

I think Andy Reid will outclass Belicheat, yes I said it OUTCLASS him in the AFC Championship game. Payback for losing the SB with Philli. He's out for blood against NE again, and just like Cali emphasized we have NE's number for what ever reason we match up the best against them out of any other team in the AFC. The recipe to beat NE is simple: A NASTY defense, and a clock-controlled , pacy offense who can capitlize on opponents mistakes- just ask Ray Lewis he'll be the first to tell you. The Chiefs have done exactly this the past 8 games, call it luck , but whatever you call it remember that formula wins playoff games on the road. GO CHIIIEEEFFSSSS!!!

The Chiefs are not going to win a bye, but it is nice to dream. For that to happen would truly be a miracle. Cincinnati can lose out. They have to rely on AJ McCarron not making mistakes. I can definitely see Denver beating the Bengals at Mile High. However, they will have to lose to the Ravens the following week, and that is a home game for the Bengals. We saw the Ravens play, and they have issues. Even if that were to happen, the Broncos will have to lose a home game to the Chargers.

The best chance for the Chiefs to gain a bye in the playoffs was lost when they blew the home game against Denver. They still have to win at least one more game, and hope for a loss by either NYJ or PITT. Otherwise, they have to win both of their final games. I think they will do just that. However, you can never take anything for granted in the NFL.

In my opinion, the best path for the Chiefs may be through the wild card game. If they were to be the #5 team, and have to travel to Houston #4, Houston is decimated, and is now down to Brandon Weeden as their starting QB. KC should be favored in that game. The Steelers will be the likely #6 WC team. They will probably travel to Cincinnati, where I predict the Steelers will win. New England will then await the worst ranked team, which will be Pittsburgh. The Broncos will get a week off, but will have to face the red hot Kansas City Chiefs at Mile High. The Chiefs can definitely win that game. That will put KC in the championship game. It will either be at Arrowhead against the Steelers, or at Gillette Stadium against a decimated New England team.

The main thing the Chiefs have to do is win. They can assure themselves of no less than a #5 wild card spot by beating the final two opponents. Entering the playoffs, the Chiefs should be the healthiest of any AFC contender. They lost Jamaal, but have proved to be able to win without him.

Love it. I can already smell the crisp January air in Foxborough. Hey, a home game at Arrowhead hosting the AFC Championship wouldn't be too shabby either.... I can't even begin to fathom.

Archived