The CUT Alex Smith Thread

A blast from the past. Saw this when looking for the 2016 predictions thread.

The next week KC started an 11 game winning streak, including the playoff win.

Since that week KC has the best W-L record in the NFL through today. The next closest is New England, and they have 2 more losses over that time.

Enjoy it while we can.

Glad the team keeps winning. I'm not an Alex fan nor do I think he is good enough, but if the team wins, it doesn't bother me as much. Guy was garbage this season and the team still won 12 games. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad the team keeps winning. I'm not an Alex fan nor do I think he is good enough, but if the team wins, it doesn't bother me as much. Guy was garbage this season and the team still won 12 games.

If we win the Super Bowl this year, that means he was good enough this year. The reason why I say that is because he will have to play better than the regular season for us to win it all and Peyton Manning's performance was good enough for the Broncos last year. No, I am not comparing Smith to Manning.

I'm just saying that winning the Super Bowl is the definition of good enough, but it's not the definition of good. I would change my mind if the offense doesn't score at all (or really low) in the playoffs and we still won.

For the future as our quarterback, it wouldn't mean he's good enough unless he blew everyone out of the water or the team's performance was easily replicable, which it never is because teams don't win back to back Super Bowls very often.

If we win the Super Bowl this year, that means he was good enough this year. The reason why I say that is because he will have to play better than the regular season for us to win it all and Peyton Manning's performance was good enough for the Broncos last year. No, I am not comparing Smith to Manning.

I'm just saying that winning the Super Bowl is the definition of good enough, but it's not the definition of good. I would change my mind if the offense doesn't score at all (or really low) in the playoffs and we still won.

For the future as our quarterback, it wouldn't mean he's good enough unless he blew everyone out of the water or the team's performance was easily replicable, which it never is because teams don't win back to back Super Bowls very often.

Alex is an average QB. I will always think that. If he wins the Super Bowl with my Chiefs, that's all I would need.

The stupidity of the debates over Smith is that Smith in 2015 and 2016 played better. than Peyton Manning in 2015, but you can't put Peyton Manning. and Alex Smith in the same sentence without being found guilty of heresy.

Well Manning was 60 years old and retiring and Alex caught him in 2015. And Manning got the ring :(

Well Manning was 60 years old and retiring and Alex caught him in 2015. And Manning got the ring :(

Yeah, Smith caught him later in his career. Are you certain that Indianapolis' commitment to Peyton Manning and San Francisco's lack thereof to Alex Smith wasn't a significant reason for that?

Yeah, Smith caught him later in his career. Are you certain that Indianapolis' commitment to Peyton Manning and San Francisco's lack thereof to Alex Smith wasn't a significant reason for that?

Hmm. When you put it that way, Alex is much a much better career QB. Now that you mention it, he's better than Brady and Rodgers too. Better?

SF lack of commitment to Alex? ughh, wasnt he there like 7 or 8 years! lol

SF lack of commitment to Alex? ughh, wasnt he there like 7 or 8 years! lol

Are you being serious or disingenuous? The only Head Coach to show commitment to Alex Smith was Jim Tomsula. Every other Head Coach there managed to betray Alex Smith in epic fashion prior to their ultimate firing.

I'm pretty sure a quarterback like Peyton Manning benefited from [mental] stability in the coaching ranks.

Are you being serious or disingenuous? The only Head Coach to show commitment to Alex Smith was Jim Tomsula. Every other Head Coach there managed to betray Alex Smith in epic fashion prior to their ultimate firing.

I'm pretty sure a quarterback like Peyton Manning benefited from [mental] stability in the coaching ranks.

Tomasula was after Harbaugh right?

Alex was gone ...

What does Trent Green, Len Dawson, Joe Namath, Aaron Rodgers, Danny White, Kurt Warner, Phil Simms, Andrew Luck, and Steve Young have in common...

If you guessed they all have less, come from behind 4th quarter wins, than Alex Smith.. you would be correct....

What does Trent Green, Len Dawson, Joe Namath, Aaron Rodgers, Danny White, Kurt Warner, Phil Simms, Andrew Luck, and Steve Young have in common...

If you guessed they all have less, come from behind 4th quarter wins, than Alex Smith.. you would be correct....

because they were on better teams in the first place and didn't have to come from behind...yawn.. also putting Luck in there juts adds to the list  and really devalues your comparison due to length of his career to date

I can accept an argument against the significance of fourth-quarter comebacks.

because they were on better teams in the first place and didn't have to come from behind

So then the argument swings the other way: A lot of those quarterbacks being compared to Smith, definitely Montana, Young, and Rodgers, spent much of their careers playing in better situations than Smith.

Alex was gone ...

He coached the last game 2010 after Mike Singletary was fired. He stuck with Smith that game.

Don't shoot the messenger. Nolan backstabbed Smith by making him play on a Grade III throwing shoulder tear and holding a fake QB competition when Dr. Andrews (surprise!) botched surgery had a broken wire out. Scapegoated Smuth before he was fired, even when Smith wasn't playing and Nolsn picked Snith because Rodgers questioned a drill at the individual workouts after the Combine.

Singletary was imcompetent, just telling him to go make a play, appointing a defensive coach as his QB coach and bad OCs.

His only good OCs left for HC jobs (McCarthey and Turner).

Alex was gone ...

He coached the last game 2010 after Mike Singletary was fired. He stuck with Smith that game.

Jim Tomsula wasn't a great Head Coach, and he didn't have a great staff either as an interim coach or as a coach with a Head Coach's contract. He was however pretty good about managing the egos of his players while checking his own. The 49ers were a better team with Jim Harbaugh at the helm than they would have been with Jim Tomsula. However, once Jim Harbaugh elevated his quarterback, from that time forward the team began to suffer from nasty and increasingly frequent bouts of inconsistency. Once the team started trending downward because they could no longer attract quality free agents nor keep their own players, the bottom fell out.

A lot of fans believe that the 49ers struggled in free agency between 2005 and 2010 because of Smith. It wasn't Smith, it was the coaching staff. That's why guys like Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary haven't gotten another shot at the Head Coaching position since being kicked out of San Francisco.

Jim Tomsula wasn't a great Head Coach, and he didn't have a great staff either as an interim coach or as a coach with a Head Coach's contract. He was however pretty good about managing the egos of his players while checking his own. The 49ers were a better team with Jim Harbaugh at the helm than they would have been with Jim Tomsula. However, once Jim Harbaugh elevated his quarterback, from that time forward the team began to suffer from nasty and increasingly frequent bouts of inconsistency. Once the team started trending downward because they could no longer attract quality free agents nor keep their own players, the bottom fell out.

A lot of fans believe that the 49ers struggled in free agency between 2005 and 2010 because of Smith. It wasn't Smith, it was the coaching staff. That's why guys like Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary haven't gotten another shot at the Head Coaching position since being kicked out of San Francisco.

Once Harbaugh elevated his quarterback the team went to the Super Bowl then the following year I believe they went to the championship game. So your constant argument that Smith is as good as Brady, Rodgers and Manning but didn't have talent around him is silly. The fact is the 49ers had a very talented team but Smith wasn't considered good enough to start. Kaepernick was. Kaepernick would not have taken the job from Brady, Rodgers or Manning. Now I know you'll blast Harbaugh but if the 9ers were as horrible as you always claim in defense of Alex, then you have to say that Harbaugh was a damn good coach to get them to the SB & the championship game in consecutive years. Harbaugh watched Smith & Kaepernick in practice & then in game situations and decided to let Smith go. Although I don't like Harbaugh's personality, can't argue his success. 

Remember stats don't matter when discussing Alex except completion % 

The fact is the 49ers had a very talented team but Smith wasn't considered good enough to start. Kaepernick was.

Your history is quite off.

In week 5 of 2012, Alex Smith directed a 300-yard passing, 300-yard rushing assault against the Bills in a 45-3 blowout. (It's an uncommon feat for backup quarterbacks.)

In week 7 of 2012, Alex Smith led the 49ers to their fourth-consecutive win against the Seahawks. (The 49ers have gone 1-8 against the Seahawks since then.)

In week 8 of 2012, Alex Smith was named NFC Offensive Player of the Week. (Most of the time, quarterbacks that are not good enough to start don't earn this award.)

In week 10 of 2012, Alex Smith was concussed, and was not cleared to play again before Colin Kaepernick made his first career start against a Bears team traveling to San Francisco and playing backup quarterback Jason Campbell.

I think the problem here is that you used the word "fact" when 'opinion' would have been much more appropriate. Further, if Kaepernick was the better starter, why is Kaepernick unlikely to get a starting job in the league heading into 2017?

If Jim Harbaugh had not promoted Colin Kaepernick, there's at least the possibility that the 49ers would have won the Super Bowl that year. We now know in retrospect that Colin Kaepernick wasn't good enough to win a Super Bowl for the 49ers, not in 2012 or in any other year.

In week 5 of 2012, Alex Smith directed a 300-yard passing, 300-yard rushing assault against the Bills in a 45-3 blowout. (It's an uncommon feat for backup quarterbacks.)

In week 7 of 2012, Alex Smith led the 49ers to their fourth-consecutive win against the Seahawks. (The 49ers have gone 1-8 against the Seahawks since then.)

In week 8 of 2012, Alex Smith was named NFC Offensive Player of the Week. (Most of the time, quarterbacks that are not good enough to start don't earn this award.)

In week 10 of 2012, Alex Smith was concussed, and was not cleared to play again before Colin Kaepernick made his first career start against a Bears team traveling to San Francisco and playing backup quarterback Jason Campbell.

I think the problem here is that you used the word "fact" when 'opinion' would have been much more appropriate. Further, if Kaepernick was the better starter, why is Kaepernick unlikely to get a starting job in the league heading into 2017?

If Jim Harbaugh had not promoted Colin Kaepernick, there's at least the possibility that the 49ers would have won the Super Bowl that year. We now know in retrospect that Colin Kaepernick wasn't good enough to win a Super Bowl for the 49ers, not in 2012 or in any other year.

Kaepernick didn't take over for Smith and lead them to the Super Bowl and then to the conference championship game the next year? Sorry. I stand corrected. Got my facts wrong.

Let's just cheer for the Chiefs man. Alex Smith, is good he has a chance to prove it Sunday once again. He can take this team to a SB. It's his time.

Once Harbaugh elevated his quarterback the team went to the Super Bowl then the following year I believe they went to the championship game. So your constant argument that Smith is as good as Brady, Rodgers and Manning but didn't have talent around him is silly. The fact is the 49ers had a very talented team but Smith wasn't considered good enough to start. Kaepernick was. Kaepernick would not have taken the job from Brady, Rodgers or Manning. Now I know you'll blast Harbaugh but if the 9ers were as horrible as you always claim in defense of Alex, then you have to say that Harbaugh was a damn good coach to get them to the SB & the championship game in consecutive years. Harbaugh watched Smith & Kaepernick in practice & then in game situations and decided to let Smith go. Although I don't like Harbaugh's personality, can't argue his success. 

Either one of them would of been fine at that time, but the 49ers had too much big playmaking potential to dink and dunk it allover the place.  Things just came to life when Kaepernick came in and went deep.

The Offensive Talent quickly vanished and the Offense turned into dink and dunk, again.

Let's just cheer for the Chiefs man. Alex Smith, is good he has a chance to prove it Sunday once again. He can take this team to a SB. It's his time.

Cool, but why are you responding to me on this one? azchief21's the one trying to suggest that the Chiefs' starting quarterback isn't as good as a quarterback that will be a free agent for the backup market next year.

Go Chiefs!

Cool, but why are you responding to me on this one? azchief21's the one trying to suggest that the Chiefs' starting quarterback isn't as good as a quarterback that will be a free agent for the backup market next year.

Go Chiefs!

I'm just glad we have 2 average QBs when many teams have a really good QB and nothing behind them. But I do agree.........GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!

Archived