Next year's draft class?

Guest dhitter

I've seen enough recently to have an opinion.

Awesome analysis homeslice. Tell me more about this awesome Air Raid QB.

Jared Goff (+15.1) has been outstanding in each of the first three games of the season, with his lowest graded game so far this year still impressive at +4.1 (According to PFF).

In 2014 (+10.4), Goff lacked consistency, but still showed the flashes that gave you an idea of the type of quarterback he could be. So far in 2015, he’s improved on those flashes and has been consistently good. That’s why the California Golden Bears are a legit contender in the Pac-12—and beyond.

Where Goff excels—this was true of last season, too—is throwing downfield. Through the first three weeks of the season, he has thrown just three incompletions from the 17 passes travelling 20 yards or more through the air, with his 14 completions going for 447 yards and two touchdowns. That gives him a nation-leading accuracy percentage of 82.4 percent going deep—not bad when you consider just three quarterbacks are above the 60 percent mark.His favorite deep target has been WR Trevor Davis, who has 190 yards on four receptions of 20+ yards through the air, but Goff hasn’t been afraid to share the ball. Five players have caught at least one long reception from him so far this year; the combination of his arm and plenty of targets who can make plays downfield make Cal very dangerous.

That is a good place to start.

Guest dhitter

Not to mention just about every QB comes from some type of offensive system. "West Coast Offense", "Spread Offense" "Air Raid"....so what? 

Per @PFF, Jared Goff is:

#1 QB Rating

#2 Accuracy %

#1 Deep Passing

#5 Under Pressure

#1 Play Action

#119/130 on time given in the pocket

Now I know PFF isn't the end all be all but come on...the guy has some skills here.

It matters a hell of a lot what system a QB plays in. If it doesn't, Graham Harrell is on his way to Canton. Dudr was throwing for like 5500 yards for Mike Leach and his Texas Tech Air Raid Offense. He didn't amount to shit in the NFL.

His offense comes down to primary look at pre-determined target. If locked down, hipe for the best.

There are a lot of short passes and screens. For a more talented squad that practices it for months, they will look fantastic against inferior talent. An actual good team like Utah challenged him and he gave em the ball 4 times in a half.

He's not pro ready. Goff will need to learn how to do proper reads, snapping from under Center and moving around to handle pressure and keeping his eyes down the field.

He has pretty good feet, an NFL arm and height. He's a bit thin though and I wonder if his frame is about maxed out.

He needs at least a year to work in an NFL weight training program and to learn a pro offense.

He's like Sam Bradford, who ran a spread pffense with some WCO elements.

A Sonny Dykes system doesn't get QB's ready for the pros. If you're going QB early in the first, they better have good upside and be ready to start.

Someone like Cardale Jones has a lot more raw potential and can be drafted in the 2nd round.

You say that every year.

LOL true... I remember screaming, just fucking screaming when they passed on Aaron Rodgers. I almost gave up hope that year. Since then there have been a few more. I really liked Derek Carr, Teddy Bridgewater, and Ryan Tannehill. Anyhow, if they are in position to draft Goff or Cook this year and they don't, I won't watch them play next season. I wouldn't mind some others like Hackenberg, but its due time the Chiefs step up and play big boy football. The only way to play big boy football is to have a QB that is worth a fuck.

Archived