What's wrong with this team?

Today's performance was probably one of the worst I've seen as a long time Chiefs fan, but it's becoming typical for them this season.  Why does everyone think they're so bad, besides the play of Smith?  My uneducated guesses are:

1.  The worst O-line in the league.  No QB will be successful playing behind this crowd.  Players make a few good plays then leave the door open for disaster.  Morse may have an upside but the rest could be replaced with out-of-work vets and the team wouldn't be any worse off.  Poor run blocking, poor pass blocking, and stupid penalties have killed the Chiefs this season.

2. Play calling.  Early in the Denver game when the Chiefs were inside the five and had first and goal and Reid called three consecutive passes, I turned to the Mrs. and said there goes the season.   First time she admitted I was right.  Today, in the first drive on third and one with the leagues best RB, Reid called a pass that, of course, was incomplete.  I made the same comment to the Mrs. again.   So when did the Chiefs passing game become so reliable that they can't ever run in short yardage situations?

3.  Game management.  Twice already this season the Chiefs have had the ball near the end of the first half and wasted all the remaining time to attempt a FG rather than playing for a TD.  Folks used to talk about Herm's time management, but he was better than Reid.  Why doesn't he manage the game and let the OC call the plays?  On defense, the Chiefs somehow forget how to attack the passer while giving up one first down after another.  Both Denver and Chicago made long drives at the end of the games while Houston and Hali disappeared.  Two sacks against a sorry Bears line, no interceptions.  This from what on paper should be a good defense.

4. Team morale.  This is a team that finds ways to lose.  Long drive to the nine and Charles goes down.  Some teams pull together and some get down.  The Chiefs got really down.  Blocked FG.  Five plays for 16 yds. and punt.  Three plays for 4 and punt.  Three plays for 2 and punt.  Three plays for 4 and punt.  Three plays and end of game.  Disgraceful.  One single first down in the middle three possessions and they win the game.

There's probably a lot of other reasons the team plays so bad, but off the top of my head, there stand out.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watch all the Chiefs games, I honestly believe the biggest problem with the Chiefs is a lack of offensive identity and Reid's playcalling.  If I had Jamaal Charles to call plays for, he would be the focus of my offense, screens, misdirections, playaction, etc, etc.  Reid is a really bad playcaller, and it puts an already suspect defense in really bad situations.  Andy Reid is the problem.

Guest 303Chiefs

I watch all the Chiefs games, I honestly believe the biggest problem with the Chiefs is a lack of offensive identity and Reid's playcalling. If I had Jamaal Charles to call plays for, he would be the focus of my offense, screens, misdirections, playaction, etc, etc. Reid is a really bad playcaller, and it puts an already suspect defense in really bad situations. Andy Reid is the problem.

Players have to execute regardless. Chiefs players a fucking soft pussy ass bitches who could block let alone run a successful screen if their lives depended on it.

Guest 303Chiefs

Andy Reid runs a soft system. He's pass-happy, that's why he stopped winning in Philly.

He's no football genius. Guess we got what we asked for...another whiff...

Today's performance was probably one of the worst I've seen as a long time Chiefs fan, but it's becoming typical for them this season.  Why does everyone think they're so bad, besides the play of Smith?  My uneducated guesses are:

1.  The worst O-line in the league.  No QB will be successful playing behind this crowd.  Players make a few good plays then leave the door open for disaster.  Morse may have an upside but the rest could be replaced with out-of-work vets and the team wouldn't be any worse off.  Poor run blocking, poor pass blocking, and stupid penalties have killed the Chiefs this season.

2. Play calling.  Early in the Denver game when the Chiefs were inside the five and had first and goal and Reid called three consecutive passes, I turned to the Mrs. and said there goes the season.   First time she admitted I was right.  Today, in the first drive on third and one with the leagues best RB, Reid called a pass that, of course, was incomplete.  I made the same comment to the Mrs. again.   So when did the Chiefs passing game become so reliable that they can't ever run in short yardage situations?

3.  Game management.  Twice already this season the Chiefs have had the ball near the end of the first half and wasted all the remaining time to attempt a FG rather than playing for a TD.  Folks used to talk about Herm's time management, but he was better than Reid.  Why doesn't he manage the game and let the OC call the plays?  On defense, the Chiefs somehow forget how to attack the passer while giving up one first down after another.  Both Denver and Chicago made long drives at the end of the games while Houston and Hali disappeared.  Two sacks against a sorry Bears line, no interceptions.  This from what on paper should be a good defense.

4. Team morale.  This is a team that finds ways to lose.  Long drive to the nine and Charles goes down.  Some teams pull together and some get down.  The Chiefs got really down.  Blocked FG.  Five plays for 16 yds. and punt.  Three plays for 4 and punt.  Three plays for 2 and punt.  Three plays for 4 and punt.  Three plays and end of game.  Disgraceful.  One single first down in the middle three possessions and they win the game.

There's probably a lot of other reasons the team plays so bad, but off the top of my head, there stand out.

Very good summary.

Guest holmes4six

coaching and players. id rather have players with heart and fight than this bullshit. look at the falcons. we are last year falcons. new head coach with energy and fight attitude and look what happens. reid is to soft on these guys. it don't  matter what they do now, in to deep to change significantly. need  something to change before next game to at least  send a  message that this wont be tolerated. I remember a  few weeks back some analyst was saying that during half time of  the cards game, coach arians told his team to step on the opponents neck and finish  them and  if you don't I will find people who will. This is what we need.

Players have to execute regardless. Chiefs players a fucking soft pussy ass bitches who could block let alone run a successful screen if their lives depended on it.

The players reflect the staff and the system.  Unless you're suggesting that the Chiefs have drafted and hired constantly to acquire soft players, then the blame for unagressive players is on the coaches.  When the team gives up long drives with no sacks or interceptions to lose two home games in the last few seconds, it's because the players (Poe, Hali, Houston, DJ, Berry, and a host of others who probably could start for most other teams) aren't being utilized correctly.  This isn't a new thing for this staff.  Remember the OAK game last year out there that cost the Chiefs a playoff spot?  It's a pattern and Reid/Sutton better get it fixed.

The players reflect the staff and the system.  Unless you're suggesting that the Chiefs have drafted and hired constantly to acquire soft players, then the blame for unagressive players is on the coaches.  When the team gives up long drives with no sacks or interceptions to lose two home games in the last few seconds, it's because the players (Poe, Hali, Houston, DJ, Berry, and a host of others who probably could start for most other teams) aren't being utilized correctly.  This isn't a new thing for this staff.  Remember the OAK game last year out there that cost the Chiefs a playoff spot?  It's a pattern and Reid/Sutton better get it fixed.

Sutton, folded like a tent at the end of the game once again. Go back to the Indi playoff game even. Nobody stepped up and made a play , do something! Stop the bleeding, No DJ, No Berry, No Houston? We need a staff that instills a winning mentality into the players. Create more leaders, not followers. 

Where to start......

It starts with the QB. Andy Reid was successful in the past with the WCO because McNabb and Vick could throw it deep and keep Defenses from crowding the box.

Alex Smith beating you deep is a fluke and I would take the low risk on getting burnt for a lot of pressure.

His field vision is limited, he likes to lock onto targets and he isn't a strong leader tbh. I remember seeing Marcus Peters having to pump him up during the Broncos game to get him fired up again, and sitting by himself on the bench in the GB loss.

People get angry about the receivers past Maclin, but don't see that he ignores them. I saw Conley running free and deep and never got a look.

They came in and tried to switch from ZBS to power block scheme. Gutted good ZBS pieces in result and picked up some not good players to replace them. They good platers they optes to not keep and they eventually had to mix in zone elements again here and there out of necessity.

They have no identity, they don't work well as a unit and they've downgraded across the board just about.

His one element to help balance thing a bit were his legs, and his run element seems to be disappearing.

The Defense is swiss cheese. DeVito, Poe, DJ, Berry and Sean Smith aren't playing like they were at 2013 levels. Teams send multiple guys at Houston to slow him down. Same thing happening to Watt and he's fading in result too.

The coverage scheme is basically built around having a trio of shut down corners and we don't have it. To mask it you need a strong rush, which we also don't have right now.

Sutton can't adjust because he doesn't know how to. That's why Sutton was demoted when Rex Ryan came to the Jets.

Andy can't oversee the team because he's too busy calling checkdowns for Alex.

Special Teams play has declined sharply.

The fact that Andy tried for a 66 yard FG, which was a guaranteed miss over his QB doing a Hail Mary tells you everything.

This team was built to be like the early 90's Chiefs. The Defense holds the opponent to 2 TD's or less and they dink and dunk to a lead and grind off clock.

The D is leaky so they have to become one dimensional eventually and I wouldn't trust Alex to win it for me. Neither does Andy apparently.

The fact that Andy tried for a 66 yard FG, which was a guaranteed miss over his QB doing a Hail Mary tells you everything.

If Dave Toub's special teams could have kept an earlier field goal from being blocked, maybe the Chiefs win by 2 instead of losing by 1. There's plenty of blame to go around.

Could the Chiefs' offensive line even block long enough for Smith to throw up a hail mary? There are times I doubt it.

If Dave Toub's special teams could have kept an earlier field goal from being blocked, maybe the Chiefs win by 2 instead of losing by 1. There's plenty of blame to go around.

Could the Chiefs' offensive line even block long enough for Smith to throw up a hail mary? There are times I doubt it.

Block so that he can run during the Hail Mary?

Coulda shoulda woulda. Not every phase can be perfect every week for captain checkdown. Sometimes he needs to win a game. Shocking to ask your 16 million QB to win you one when your team struggles.

But aw man the sun was in his field of vision. Fucking KC make him a roof!

Coulda shoulda woulda. Not every phase can be perfect every week for captain checkdown. Sometimes he needs to win a game. Shocking to ask your 16 million QB to win you one when your team struggles.

Worst offensive line in the league? Can't even block for their field goal kicker anymore? There are prerequisites for running an offense. The offensive line needs to show up.

I feel bad about the Chiefs losing Jamaal Charles for the season, but you have no idea how bad things would be if either Chase Daniel or Aaron Murray had to stand in the pocket behind five guys that together don't deserve the title of "Offensive Line".

You're the Baghdad Bob for Alex Smith and people on the board laugh about your unconditional love and defense for tiny hands.

Alex Smith isn't good, never was good and never will be good.

When Alex Smith is eventually released and goes to Tampa Bay, you will post on a pirate forum about how he just needs 3 HoF WR's, Tony Gonzalez and the 2003 Chiefs Offensive Line, Jim Brown and the 2002 Bucs Defense.

I hope you realize OL =! ST blocking nor do I think you even know who gave up the pressure.

Yes, I do know that special teams offensive lines are aligned differently, and frequently use different players.

As to who gave up the "pressure" (it's a "block" when the kick gets blocked), I was hoping to see that, but nfl.com managed to splice together a highlight reel that skipped the block (it seemed to show the first second-and-a-half of the alignment existing moments before the block, but then cut immediately to the next highlight).

It's pretty miserable trying to piece together a reliable account of what has been happening in these games while having to rely on a mere few highlight plays along with the moderate opinions of those who witnessed the game in order to fill in the blanks. Your opinion is not, and never has been, moderate.

Excellent analysis, Jet. I agree that the O-Line is terrible, and that leads directly to your points in 4. In no way am I defending Smith's play, but Elway in his prime couldn't win with that bunch in front of him.

Unfortunately, it takes a few years to successfully overhaul an O-Line. I don't see this team winning consistently for a long time.

The Seahawks are 2-3, and have had struggles on the offensive line.

Their quarterback, Russell Wilson, has contributed 6 touchdowns against 5 turnovers (including a scoop-six) on 209 action plays, averaging 6.06 yards per play, and was sacked 22 times (10.5% of action plays).

The Chiefs are 1-4, and have had struggles on the offensive line.

Their quarterback, Alex Smith, has contributed 5 touchdowns against 3 turnovers on 220 action plays, averaging 5.82 yards per play, and was sacked 21 times (9.5% of action plays).

Does Russell Wilson make his offensive line better?

Does Russell Wilson protect the ball better and put his team in a better position to win?

Or has Russell Wilson benefited greatly from the play of his stellar defense?

The Seahawks' defense, on the field for 49.8% of every game on average, has given up 8 touchdowns and 9 field goals to opposing teams.

The Chiefs' defense, on the field for 48.7% of every game on average, has given up 17 touchdowns and 6 field goals to opposing teams.

And then you have strength of schedule.

The Seahawks' strength of schedule: 14-11

The Seahawks' strength of victory: 2-8

The Chiefs' strength of schedule: 18-7

The Chiefs' strength of victory: 1-4

The Chiefs' offense has outscored the Seahawks' offense.

If the Chiefs' defense (44 points allowed in the 4th quarter) could have consistently made defensive stops like the Seahawks have until yesterday (41 points allowed in the 4th quarter or overtime, 20 in one game), the Chiefs might be 3-2 instead of 1-4.

You won't get any argument from me that Russell Wilson is not overpaid, but I haven't heard that anyone is calling for his head. Alex Smith has outplayed Wilson in similar circumstances, but hasn't gotten help from his defense.

Guest 303Chiefs

The Seahawks are 2-3, and have had struggles on the offensive line.

Their quarterback, Russell Wilson, has contributed 6 touchdowns against 5 turnovers (including a scoop-six) on 209 action plays, averaging 6.06 yards per play, and was sacked 22 times (10.5% of action plays).

The Chiefs are 1-4, and have had struggles on the offensive line.

Their quarterback, Alex Smith, has contributed 5 touchdowns against 3 turnovers on 220 action plays, averaging 5.82 yards per play, and was sacked 21 times (9.5% of action plays).

Does Russell Wilson make his offensive line better?

Does Russell Wilson protect the ball better and put his team in a better position to win?

Or has Russell Wilson benefited greatly from the play of his stellar defense?

The Seahawks' defense, on the field for 49.8% of every game on average, has given up 8 touchdowns and 9 field goals to opposing teams.

The Chiefs' defense, on the field for 48.7% of every game on average, has given up 17 touchdowns and 6 field goals to opposing teams.

And then you have strength of schedule.

The Seahawks' strength of schedule: 14-11

The Seahawks' strength of victory: 2-8

The Chiefs' strength of schedule: 18-7

The Chiefs' strength of victory: 1-4

The Chiefs' offense has outscored the Seahawks' offense.

If the Chiefs' defense (44 points allowed in the 4th quarter) could have consistently made defensive stops like the Seahawks have until yesterday (41 points allowed in the 4th quarter or overtime, 20 in one game), the Chiefs might be 3-2 instead of 1-4.

You won't get any argument from me that Russell Wilson is not overpaid, but I haven't heard that anyone is calling for his head. Alex Smith has outplayed Wilson in similar circumstances, but hasn't gotten help from his defense.

Literally, AS could punch a baby in the face and you'd defend him.

Archived