What's wrong with this team?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Literally, AS could punch a baby in the face and you'd defend him.

Alex Smith could throw for 4 touchdowns in a game without Jamaal Charles being on the field for almost the entire time, and there are those that would attack him.

I didn't defend Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, or Greg "Gun's Blazing" Hardy. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't defend Alex Smith in the scenario you describe.

Alex Smith could throw for 4 touchdowns in a game without Jamaal Charles being on the field for almost the entire time, and there are those that would attack him.

I didn't defend Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, or Greg "Gun's Blazing" Hardy. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't defend Alex Smith in the scenario you describe.

Phatal I am a big fan of Alex Smith also and I have supported him likewise but yesterday even though I didn't want to believe it I watched Alex panic when there was no reason to panic. He is gun shy my friend and even though I wear the same AS11 glasses you do I can see it, he is making the O-line look worse then it really is, he is missing open WR's, he is putting our star players in situations where they can get hurt by leading them into big hits, he is throwing the ball high, he is throwing the ball to hard on a 3 yard pass, all this is a sign he is scared and needs to be replaced. Alex looks just like Cassel did the last couple years. It's bad dude real bad! I believed in him too I had him in 5 different Fanduel games yesterday as the starting QB.

Phatal I am a big fan of Alex Smith also and I have supported him likewise but yesterday even though I didn't want to believe it I watched Alex panic when there was no reason to panic. He is gun shy my friend and even though I wear the same AS11 glasses you do I can see it, he is making the O-line look worse then it really is, he is missing open WR's, he is putting our star players in situations where they can get hurt by leading them into big hits, he is throwing the ball high, he is throwing the ball to hard on a 3 yard pass, all this is a sign he is scared and needs to be replaced. Alex looks just like Cassel did the last couple years. It's bad dude real bad! I believed in him too I had him in 5 different Fanduel games yesterday as the starting QB.

So, you are financially upset and therefore biased. Just kidding.

Alex smith has been missing wide receivers running open since SF. why do you think the fans, analysts, radio guys, and the coach let him go?

I live here and watched his dink and dunk philoshy go on and on.

"But he made that throw against NEW ORLEANS!"

That's his defense from all of his backers. Wow, one throw and a great scramble.

I warned every single one of you when he signed.

When a guy like App Chief can see it  then its bad enough real bad but I agree I was there. We were surrounded by Bear's fans and we were joking on who had the suckiest QB.. & they agreed with me after about 3 qrtrs. THEY HATE CUTLER but left happy they did'nt have Alex  as their QB.

its time for Alex to leave town & take Andy with him.

I watch all the Chiefs games, I honestly believe the biggest problem with the Chiefs is a lack of offensive identity and Reid's playcalling.  If I had Jamaal Charles to call plays for, he would be the focus of my offense, screens, misdirections, playaction, etc, etc.  Reid is a really bad playcaller, and it puts an already suspect defense in really bad situations.  Andy Reid is the problem.

When the Chiefs hired Reid, Skip Bayless on First Take said he thought the move would be good for Andy reid but bad for the Chiefs.  At the time I didn't agree with him, but I believe he was right.

I'll give you my opinion...

What's wrong, very, very wrong...

1. Offensive Line.

Eric Fisher looks pretty solid at RT since taking over, but the rest isn't very good. Morse has his moments where he looks like he'll be a future All-Pro center, so I'm happy to see him in there growing but that doesn't mean he isn't part of the problem in the short term. Guard play is abysmal. Grubbs looks like a shade of his former self to say the least. KC paid way too much for way too little. The turnstile at RG will have to be addressed in the offseason with a high level draft pick. There just isn't much there to give one hope that anyone on the current roster will fix the issue. Stephenson hasn't been good at all since week 2, and I see this as a big issue going forward. He's in a contract year, and frankly I like the idea of leaving Fisher at RT going forward. I'm not sure what KC can afford to do here in the draft given what I think about the QB situation. Overall, when most of your offensive line is getting beat, its hard to be successful. The problem is that it seems one of the 5 are getting beat on every play and it affects timing of everything. If they gave up a fire sale once in a while, so be it, but they have to be better and more consistent individually to get better as a unit.

2. Quarterback.

I can't place all the blame on the offensive line when you have a QB that is getting enough time to throw (min 3 seconds) quite a bit of the time. I blame the offensive line for not giving him 4 seconds enough of the time. I blame Alex for not extending plays and keeping his eyes down the field. Alex Smith keys on hot targets, and when he doesn't he usually only makes 2 reads. He isn't keeping his eyes down field and he isn't stepping up when pressured. He's playing in a shell and it hurts the team because they aren't opening up the stacked boxes they are facing. If Alex could keep his eyes down field and make multiple reads, he'd find wide open targets all over the place. He has David Carr syndrome, and its just too late for him. Its time to move on at this position. We watched what players like Aaron Rodgers and Jay Cutler did the past couple weeks in the face of pressure, and that is what you need a QB to do. Its time to stop making excuses for Smith and admit the failure.

3. Coaching Staff.

From scheme to time management and everything in between, this team seems ill-prepared for its opponent on a weekly basis and they make horrendous adjustments, if any at all, during games. These coaches seem so set in their ways, that they are trying to ram players into a scheme whether its working or not. When KC did what I said prior to the game they should do, put in a fullback and run the football, the offense clicked. When they got cute, things went South. This team is build to play a power play action game, and instead they play a spread game with a QB that can't do it. You have too many reads for a QB that can't scan the field or doesn't have time to scan the field. The time management issues have already lost KC at least 2 games this season, and there is no doubt in my mind they'll lose a few more before all is said and done. I'm fully prepared for and advocate a coaching change at the end of the season.

4. Linebackers.

This group has been terrible. Houston is seeing alot more double teams because there isn't much of a threat anywhere else to bring pressure. There isn't much at ILB to cover TEs anymore, leaving us vulnerable over the top because a safety HAS to come down to cover. DJ is done and needs to retire at the end of this season. Same for Hali. I have to see more of Ramik Wilson, but it seems that kid is progressing. I think Justin March, when he's back from injury next year, is a potential starter. Dee Ford needs to see the field alot more this season, because Dorsey needs to know if he has Hali's replacement or if he has to go digging. Any way you slice it, this team needs more help going into 2016.

What I don't think is wrong...

General Manager.

I think Dorsey is doing a pretty good job of finding talent in every way possible. Sure, he missed on a couple early draft picks, or so it appears right now, but he's done alot more right than he's done wrong. He's trimmed alot of dead weight from the previous regime. He's got alot to do, and lets not forget the team he walked into. This team, and its depth, are going in the right direction. Now he's got to get that franchise QB and fix some issues on the O-line. If he does that, I'm on board with this guy for a long time.

Wide Receivers & Tight Ends.

This current group has some talent, but its not getting used adequately by the QB primarily. I see them open often. Sure, there's some work left to do here, but I really think this group is better than it looks at times on the stat line.

Defensive Line.

I'm giving Dontari Poe a bit of a pass here, you can't control a back injury. He was brought back too soon though and it shows. I tell you what though, the Chiefs better bring back this Howard kid going forward. I think if you had Howard, Poe, and Bailey all healthy, this would be a really strong D-Line. I think the depth has to improve at all positions though in the offseason.

Defensive Backs.

I'm a bit on the fence here but there were some things at play that make me a bit hesitant to consider them a problem. Eric Berry is starting to play at football speed a bit more, but he just wasn't ready to begin the season. Hopefully he continues to grow back into a solid player. Smith being suspended hurt and he isn't at football speed, that was evident this week. Gaines getting hurt really put a damper on the nickle position. Peters is going to be a stud. I think if this unit is healthy, they are pretty damn good. They are covering too long lately because the defensive front isn't landing its pressure on the QB.

Specialty Players.

Santos is a pretty freakin solid kicker and Colquitt is damned good as a punter, so what can you say here? I haven't seen a bad long snap either, so that's fine.

What I'm on the fence about...

Running Backs.

I really like Charcandrick West and I think he can be a solid runner for KC. I was really getting frustrated with Smith throwing him into traffic for 1 yard gains last week. The kid has shown he can be serviceable, but he needs more touches for me to issue a final verdict. I'm not happy with Dancing Davis, as I like to call him. For a big back that can run like the wind, he sure is a pansy. Someone needs to teach this kid how to pick a hole and put his shoulder down. Unfortunately, that's unlikely to happen and he's more or less a waist in my mind. With Charles' future now very much in the balance going forward, KC may have to go out and draft themselves a RB next year. One plus here is that Anthony Sherman is a stud, and Reid needs to pull his head out of his ass and start using him more.

Guest Okiechief1

Dorsey was in GB for the majority of Favre career and pretty much all of Rogers career till he came to KC. After what he seen in GB from those 2 I can't believe he finds Alex acceptable. Would love to be a fly on the wall when they start talking about next years teams need and the draft to hear what he has to say.

If he signing off on Alex and won't draft one then he is just as much as part of the problem as Reid is.

Dorsey was in GB for the majority of Favre career and pretty much all of Rogers career till he came to KC. After what he seen in GB from those 2 I can't believe he finds Alex acceptable. Would love to be a fly on the wall when they start talking about next years teams need and the draft to hear what he has to say.

If he signing off on Alex and won't draft one then he is just as much as part of the problem as Reid is.

Amen, brother. I also can't believe that he is okay with AS11, after witnessing two hall of fame qbs play

Alex Smith has Reid's cheetos stained fingers allover.

Nearly a first round pick and a 2nd was a lot more than I would ever expect for a GM that learned under a total shrew in Ted Thompson to ever give up...for an Alex Smith.

I think he does what he can with the orders from Andy.

So in other words, we're screwed. Clark is gonna have to take control.

Today's performance was probably one of the worst I've seen as a long time Chiefs fan, but it's becoming typical for them this season.  Why does everyone think they're so bad, besides the play of Smith?  My uneducated guesses are:

1.  The worst O-line in the league.  No QB will be successful playing behind this crowd.  Players make a few good plays then leave the door open for disaster.  Morse may have an upside but the rest could be replaced with out-of-work vets and the team wouldn't be any worse off.  Poor run blocking, poor pass blocking, and stupid penalties have killed the Chiefs this season.

2. Play calling.  Early in the Denver game when the Chiefs were inside the five and had first and goal and Reid called three consecutive passes, I turned to the Mrs. and said there goes the season.   First time she admitted I was right.  Today, in the first drive on third and one with the leagues best RB, Reid called a pass that, of course, was incomplete.  I made the same comment to the Mrs. again.   So when did the Chiefs passing game become so reliable that they can't ever run in short yardage situations?

3.  Game management.  Twice already this season the Chiefs have had the ball near the end of the first half and wasted all the remaining time to attempt a FG rather than playing for a TD.  Folks used to talk about Herm's time management, but he was better than Reid.  Why doesn't he manage the game and let the OC call the plays?  On defense, the Chiefs somehow forget how to attack the passer while giving up one first down after another.  Both Denver and Chicago made long drives at the end of the games while Houston and Hali disappeared.  Two sacks against a sorry Bears line, no interceptions.  This from what on paper should be a good defense.

4. Team morale.  This is a team that finds ways to lose.  Long drive to the nine and Charles goes down.  Some teams pull together and some get down.  The Chiefs got really down.  Blocked FG.  Five plays for 16 yds. and punt.  Three plays for 4 and punt.  Three plays for 2 and punt.  Three plays for 4 and punt.  Three plays and end of game.  Disgraceful.  One single first down in the middle three possessions and they win the game.

There's probably a lot of other reasons the team plays so bad, but off the top of my head, there stand out.

preach it jet.

I feel the same...great points all.

So in other words, we're screwed. Clark is gonna have to take control.

Clark issues the demands to both of them. The big problem comes from the owners.

If Clark demands them to draft a franchise QB, they draft a franchise QB. He demands seats filled quickly, so it gets short cut.

Fans are happy with playoff wins so why sacrifice anything to be great?

Also curious about the poor run blocking jetlord sees. It looks adequate to me.

I'm all in favor of drafting a franchise QB, but honestly, I don't know who the Chiefs had available the last three years.  The first year, when they had the top pick, there was no QB that stood out IIRC.  Two drafts ago, the Chiefs were coming off a 10-6 record and lost a playoff game more due to injuries and poor defensive scheme than QB play.  They picked about 20.  This spring, I didn't see any QB that would have forced himself into the starting role.  Sure, in hindsight the Chiefs might have done better by selecting a QB early, but at the time not too many of us had a "can't miss" guy in mind.  Maybe this year the record will be poor enough that they can draft a top level QB or trade up for one, but the past hasn't been to friendly to doing so.  While I haven't been too excited by the Chiefs first day picks under Reid/Dorsey, I don't know that they whiffed on getting a QB.  So instead of saying, "The Chiefs should have drafted a QB in the first round.", tell us who it should have been and if that's who you asked for at the time. 

Archived