Regarding the penalty on the failed Bears 2 point conversion after the lead-taking TD

So the Bears go up by one with 18 seconds left and line up for two points and fail. They are flagged for an illegal shift. The Chiefs decline the penalty.

Why not accept the penalty? The worst that happens is you go down by three points if they make it.

The likely scenario is that they just kick the one and and you're only down two, which is the same as being down one with 18 seconds to go. They could also miss this attempt, netting you the same result as declining the penalty.

OR, They line up and attempt the two point conversion again and you force a turnover for a score and take the lead. The new extra point rules allow for defensive scores. Why not gamble on the defense, particularly when you know you don't trust the offense?

What did we have to lose?

So the Bears go up by one with 18 seconds left and line up for two points and fail. They are flagged for an illegal shift. The Chiefs decline the penalty.

Why not accept the penalty? The worst that happens is you go down by three points if they make it.

The likely scenario is that they just kick the one and and you're only down two, which is the same as being down one with 18 seconds to go. They could also miss this attempt, netting you the same result as declining the penalty.

OR, They line up and attempt the two point conversion again and you force a turnover for a score and take the lead. The new extra point rules allow for defensive scores. Why not gamble on the defense, particularly when you know you don't trust the offense?

What did we have to lose?

We wanted to be able to win on a field goal. We couldn't do that if the redo of the two point is converted. We don't know for fact that they would decide to kick that one pointer.

Well, the big deal here is that an illegal shift is only a 5 yard penalty. This actually opens up the field for the Bears if they retry the 2 point conversion. More room for the receivers to operate to get open. Teams rarely run for a 2 pt conversion anyhow, so knowing they would pass isn't really relevant. They would have still gone for 2 from the 7, that's pretty much a guarantee.

Do I still take the chance my defense can make a play and put points on the board with less than 20 seconds left in the game? Damn right I do, but I just wanted to put out there what the coaches might have been thinking.

The only part of the game I give Alex some kudos for is that last drive of the game. If Maclin doesn't bobble that pass, there's a legitimate shot to win on the table there.

Well, the big deal here is that an illegal shift is only a 5 yard penalty. This actually opens up the field for the Bears if they retry the 2 point conversion. More room for the receivers to operate to get open. Teams rarely run for a 2 pt conversion anyhow, so knowing they would pass isn't really relevant. They would have still gone for 2 from the 7, that's pretty much a guarantee.

Do I still take the chance my defense can make a play and put points on the board with less than 20 seconds left in the game? Damn right I do, but I just wanted to put out there what the coaches might have been thinking.

The only part of the game I give Alex some kudos for is that last drive of the game. If Maclin doesn't bobble that pass, there's a legitimate shot to win on the table there.

Imo, the game should've never ever came down to a last second FG.

Now I know what I looked like when I used to talk about Colin Kaepernick before 49ers fans.

The only difference is, I was right.

You mean like how I've been right about Alex?

I believe Smith was better than you said he was but got broken. If he wasn't shell shocked, he'd still be where he was or slightly better, but his current mental clock hinders that. Just like potential doesn't elevate current play, struggling now doesn't make his past abilities worse than it was.

Two things shot Smith down in his career - 1, an injury to his throwing arm that was already average and 2, playing behind a bad line that he didn't make better at protection except on some shorter quick passes earlier. He was better than Cassel and now broken, where only he could fix it. He's bounced back before but he doesn't have time. Doing worse trying to force passes doesn't make you better than a QB who takes smart shots. Smith is not doing that any more.

I believe Smith was better than you said he was but got broken. If he wasn't shell shocked, he'd still be where he was or slightly better, but his current mental clock hinders that. Just like potential doesn't elevate current play, struggling now doesn't make his past abilities worse than it was.

Two things shot Smith down in his career - 1, an injury to his throwing arm that was already average and 2, playing behind a bad line that he didn't make better at protection except on some shorter quick passes earlier. He was better than Cassel and now broken, where only he could fix it. He's bounced back before but he doesn't have time. Doing worse trying to force passes doesn't make you better than a QB who takes smart shots. Smith is not doing that any more.

This I agree with. Alex had the talent to be good not great. Offensive lines have ruined him. But even coming here, he was just average at best.

Archived