Alex Smith is Matt Cassel

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did Cassel ever have a complete season without a TD pass to a WR.

The relevance is the low touchdowns to a receiver. The zero doesn't matter because part of that is the receivers. They step out of bounds, trip on the 1 yard line, or drop the pass. Would Smith really be any better if he threw a two yarder that went the distance? No. But I could see getting a low number to receivers being a limitation. Plus, there were tight ends and running backs that lined up as a receiver, ran a route like a receiver, and were defended like a receiver and they scored.

Note that none of this actually defends him as a quarterback, I just hate that stat and don't think it is as relevant as people made it sound. The only relevance is the low touchdown number in general.

Since Trent Green retired, the Chiefs have had only solid backups for starters.

Smith is a good backup. That's all.

Right now, I can see him as a solid backup depending on the team. But he was a starter before he got broken and think he could still start. Again, I'm not saying that is good enough.

Alex Smith really needs a very good offensive line from one end to the other to be successful. The Chiefs don't have that. The 49ers didn't have a great pass blocking line. He's okay when he has great protection, but this is the NFL and that is rare. He's not a guy that will go out and win a game for you like we saw Cutler do yesterday. Alex Smith is what he is, and it just isn't good enough to carry this team where we all expect them to be.

Alex Smith really needs a very good offensive line from one end to the other to be successful. The Chiefs don't have that. The 49ers didn't have a great pass blocking line. He's okay when he has great protection, but this is the NFL and that is rare. He's not a guy that will go out and win a game for you like we saw Cutler do yesterday. Alex Smith is what he is, and it just isn't good enough to carry this team where we all expect them to be.

Great point. Does anyone think that AS11 could stand in there and do what Cutler did yesterday? You have to admit, what Cutler did yesterday to win that game was awfully impressive.

Great point. Does anyone think that AS11 could stand in there and do what Cutler did yesterday? You have to admit, what Cutler did yesterday to win that game was awfully impressive.

At this point, no. He did have that Saints game as somebody mentioned. Just because it's mentioned over and over again doesn't take it away. He gave us a lead against San Diego in 2013 before the defense let up and against Denver this year and then we lost it. It wasn't the same thing, but we got the lead against Buffalo last year on his touchdown and then the defense sealed it. Of our wins, there are not very many we were close in and we lost other close games.

Interesting thread. The comparison is a eye popper. Great work. The problem I have is smith doesn't have what it takes to drive the team down the feild to win. There's no sense of urgency no high tempo in out of the huddle etc. I don't even know if he can run a hurry up offence because they never do it. It's almost like everything has to be set up at the line , pause then snap. Its bullshit.

He made one good pass.

He had one scramble.

Exaggerating doesn't help your case, specifically when you don't have to. There's no one here saying he is good enough. Well, maybe one. At least the guy you responded to pluralized moments. It's not just one good pass or one good scramble or one good game. And it wasn't the only thing that people cited or was worthy of citing in support.

Again, I'm not saying it was often or good enough.

Exaggerating doesn't help your case, specifically when you don't have to. There's no one here saying he is good enough. Well, maybe one. At least the guy you responded to pluralized moments. It's not just one good pass or one good scramble or one good game. And it wasn't the only thing that people cited or was worthy of citing in support.

Again, I'm not saying it was often or good enough.

Those are the two moments people point to when saying he can get the job done.

Alex is a good guy. I wish I was wrong about him.

I think he's had more than 2 good games, but not enough for 16 million a year. Not even close.

Was debatable even at his old salary.

That previous salary was worth it to me, for his old play, but I don't want to get into that. I'll just say whatever. I mean, 16 million is 15th highest before Luck makes it 16th, but 8 million? Even smaller. I think we needed a winning environment and 8 was fine.

For his current play, which is what he's being paid for, absolutely. Not enough.

I would love for the Chiefs to have the kind of QB that with 2 minutes left at his own 16 yard line he is capable of driving the team down for a win. No one I know thinks Alex Smith is even capable of that kind of clutch play. Too many slow starts and too little big plays in crunch time. It's time for a change...period.

I would love for the Chiefs to have the kind of QB that with 2 minutes left at his own 16 yard line he is capable of driving the team down for a win. No one I know thinks Alex Smith is even capable of that kind of clutch play. Too many slow starts and too little big plays in crunch time. It's time for a change...period.

Not at his current state/play. As said before, he's done it before. That's not something to hang his hat on.

Archived