Alex Smith is Matt Cassel

Vick came off the street and led the Steelers to a win tonight.

He cost Pittsburgh league minimum.

Dammit, I had recorded it and I was doing so well avoiding the result. One of my best friends is a Steelers fan. I told him not to tell me anything about the game.

We've beaten the Chargers and the like before with Smith and Daniel. Yes, for more money. :(

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Smith proves it week in and week out that he sucks. He can have some good play, but he will never play good for a whole game.  Had a great first half in the play off game.  Terrible 2nd half.  He's not why we lost, but in the 2nd half he sure didnt help.  I still just blame that on the D.

Anyways, We gotta wait another 3-4 years before we are serious contenders.  Time to start over again. I say this, because im sick and tired of other teams qb's that they want nothing to do with. Unless we can get Tom Brady. Arron Rodgers or Big Ben. its time to just start drafting Qb's and if it dont work, then you draft again until you hit. Doing it the way we been trying to do it for the last 35 years, is clearly not working and its not even getting close.

Smith proves it week in and week out that he sucks. He can have some good play, but he will never play good for a whole game. Had a great first half in the play off game. Terrible 2nd half. He's not why we lost, but in the 2nd half he sure didnt help. I still just blame that on the D.

Anyways, We gotta wait another 3-4 years before we are serious contenders. Time to start over again. I say this, because im sick and tired of other teams qb's that they want nothing to do with. Unless we can get Tom Brady. Arron Rodgers or Big Ben. its time to just start drafting Qb's and if it dont work, then you draft again until you hit. Doing it the way we been trying to do it for the last 35 years, is clearly not working and its not even getting close.

The second half wasn't terrible and the first half was more than good (he was making plays with shovel passes and deep throws, not elite but better than a good half). He completed most of his passes in the second half keeping the clock running. (Yes, I know, he missed the third RB on a pass and the strip sack, and intentional grounding (only cost 2 yards because a sack is a lost down anyway and the sack would have been 8 yards instead of ten) but terrible is too strong.) It, along with Reid and the defense, wasn't good enough.

Smith proves it week in and week out that he sucks. He can have some good play, but he will never play good for a whole game. Had a great first half in the play off game. Terrible 2nd half. He's not why we lost, but in the 2nd half he sure didnt help. I still just blame that on the D.

Anyways, We gotta wait another 3-4 years before we are serious contenders. Time to start over again. I say this, because im sick and tired of other teams qb's that they want nothing to do with. Unless we can get Tom Brady. Arron Rodgers or Big Ben. its time to just start drafting Qb's and if it dont work, then you draft again until you hit. Doing it the way we been trying to do it for the last 35 years, is clearly not working and its not even getting close.

Draft until we hit. If we had done this under Marty, and it was our philoshy, we wouldn't be in this mess. You have to try and it has to be in a teams philosophy.

Lunacy. Simple answer to complex problem. Remeber fire Carl Peterson. Fire Tyler Palkow, Matt Cassel, Herm Edwards ad nauseum. Seven coaching changes since Marty Shottenheimer with same result.

It's an organizational problem. Each new coach is going to want to grab the "best available" QB to try to win immediately to keep their jobs. It's a quarterback league, the owner needs to mandate we get a franchise QB not cast offs to use as band aids every 3 years.

How many franchise quarterbacks are there in the NFL?  Rogers,  Brady,  Manning (still up there until he proves us wrong,  Rivers,  Rothlesberger,  Wilson....maybe a few more.  Smith is middle of the pack.  I am very insistant that our problems are with our offensive line.  This has been the case since I read that Albert had been let go.   The collapse on defense is harder to diagnose.  We seem to have a lot of defensive stars but collectively they can't play together.  Perhaps we should have gone to zone read in the defensive backfield instead of so much man. 

Hard to say specifically.  I just don't think scorched earth is a viable plan when things start to go south.

Alex Smith was damaged at SF. He got very little protection, and suffered a concussion that ended his career. He came to KC with promise, but more of the same lack of protection left him tentative, and indecisive. 

I believe Alex Smith could have been successful in Kansas City, but he was not given the weapons, nor was he protected. As a result, he has acquired tunnel vision. David Carr was the number one pick for the Houston Texans. He was sacked and beat up continuously until he could no longer play. He was affected by the amount of pressure, and became a shell of himself. Now, after several stops along the way as a backup, he sits at home watching his little brother play at Oakland. He isn't that old. In fact, Peyton Manning was drafted in 1998, Michael Vick, and Drew Brees were from the 2001 class. David Carr was drafted the following year. 

Alex Smith may be able to return from this, but he needs to sit now before any more damage is done. Its too early to bring in Aaron Murray. We would break him just as soon as he got to play. This is why I say go with Chase Daniel. He is resilient, strong, and willing to take the punishment. He performed well under pressure in preseason. He may be able to ride it out the rest of this season.

The Chiefs can become a competitive team again. They are not that far away. They need to fix the underlying problems.... coaching, offensive line protection, and qb. 

How many franchise quarterbacks are there in the NFL?  Rogers,  Brady,  Manning (still up there until he proves us wrong,  Rivers,  Rothlesberger,  Wilson....maybe a few more.  Smith is middle of the pack.  I am very insistant that our problems are with our offensive line.  This has been the case since I read that Albert had been let go.   The collapse on defense is harder to diagnose.  We seem to have a lot of defensive stars but collectively they can't play together.  Perhaps we should have gone to zone read in the defensive backfield instead of so much man. 

Hard to say specifically.  I just don't think scorched earth is a viable plan when things start to go south.

Exactly.  What would the Chiefs record have been for the last two years with Rolf, Waters, Weg, Shields, and Tate on the line?  More to the point, what would the Pats record  be with the present Chiefs's line?  I'm all for finding a top QB, but it won't do any good until the points in the OP are addressed.

Exactly.  What would the Chiefs record have been for the last two years with Rolf, Waters, Weg, Shields, and Tate on the line?  More to the point, what would the Pats record  be with the present Chiefs's line?  I'm all for finding a top QB, but it won't do any good until the points in the OP are addressed.

Agree. Offensive line is not a sexy pick. We have throw the short stuff because AS has no time to throw. Fisher and Morse are okay but Grubbs is disappointing and so is Stephenson

Lunacy. Simple answer to complex problem. Remeber fire Carl Peterson. Fire Tyler Palkow, Matt Cassel, Herm Edwards ad nauseum. Seven coaching changes since Marty Shottenheimer with same result.

The Chiefs had the best OL in the NFL under Dick Vermeil, but their defense was one of the worst in NFL history...  The Chiefs had a great defense under Marty, but their offenses were bad, really bad.

At some point it will have to come together, right?  I just don't think Andy Reid is a good enough coach to make that happen.  It's going to have to be the next guy.

Guest Okiechief1

I guess I'm looking at things from a different perspective. The line is a problem but I don't think you completely fix it in one off season unless you want to start over paying for free agents which means probably letting some of our own players go.

If we are in a position to draft a potential franchise QB then do it. You can't win the lottery without buying a ticket and they haven't even tried since 83. Middle of the road might get you to the playoffs but it doesn't get you to the ultimate goal of being a SB contender for years. If you don't have the QB you won't win anything consistently.

The line needs 2 guards and probably a left tackle. After a QB in the first draft line after that. Start the rookie OL in year one and let them grow together as a unit. Let the young gun sit till the line solidifies then maybe about half thru his second season start him. The longer you wait trying to build a team around Alex that will be good enough for him to get us to the SB his window will close if it hasn't already.

The D, once our pass rush went their went the D. Hali doesn't have it anymore, and when you only have one guy that can get to the QB it's pretty easy to defend. Poe had back surgery a a little over a month before the season and av guy that size usually will always have back issues after that so he may never be the same. DJ is going to be 33 coming off an acl so it's possible age is catching up with him much the same way it did with Hali. Berry wasn't counted on to start the season but is starting now and is less than a year removed from cancer and 6 months ago wasnt able to do 5 pushups. I doubt he is the same either. Sean Smith for the most part was average till last year when their was a pass rush that aided him. I think what's happened is we have a bunch of guys that aren't playing at level we were used and some may never again and they were counted on to play at that level for the D to be as good as we had hoped.

First day back from the KC trip. 

Conclusions:  The whole team is HORRIBLE.  The play calling is horrible....They sold me a "chicken parmesian" sandwich ( Chicken mcnuggets on a bun with queso cheese of top) and it was horrible.....

Smith totally stunk up the joint....and  there were ZERO running lanes, terrible penalties, total stupidity in the play calling.

Bad news, Tom Brady could be the QB and this team would still find a way to lose.

oh yeah, the BEARS are HORRIBLE and our defense could not stop them....

Other News:

-KC is a great town

-Royals are amazing

-OT is great host at a tailgate (Nice to see Kim,  Big Jake and Andy)

-Gates > Bryants

-Jackstack Rules

w

Hate to say it because they were good players and popular here, but it's time to cut Hali and DJ.  Successful teams don't keep aging players costing high cap numbers and stay competitive long.  NE cut Welker while he was still productive and never missed a beat.  Same for other players.  It's time to roll over the high cost part of the roster.

Hate to say it because they were good players and popular here, but it's time to cut Hali and DJ. Successful teams don't keep aging players costing high cap numbers and stay competitive long. NE cut Welker while he was still productive and never missed a beat. Same for other players. It's time to roll over the high cost part of the roster.

Yes.

First day back from the KC trip. 

Conclusions:  The whole team is HORRIBLE.  The play calling is horrible....They sold me a "chicken parmesian" sandwich ( Chicken mcnuggets on a bun with queso cheese of top) and it was horrible.....

Smith totally stunk up the joint....and  there were ZERO running lanes, terrible penalties, total stupidity in the play calling.

Bad news, Tom Brady could be the QB and this team would still find a way to lose.

oh yeah, the BEARS are HORRIBLE and our defense could not stop them....

Other News:

-KC is a great town

-Royals are amazing

-OT is great host at a tailgate (Nice to see Kim,  Big Jake and Andy)

-Gates > Bryants

-Jackstack Rules

w

see toldja  ya shoulda had a braut & another beer LOL thats too funny.

I guess I'm looking at things from a different perspective. The line is a problem but I don't think you completely fix it in one off season unless you want to start over paying for free agents which means probably letting some of our own players go.

This was the reason I said that paying Justin Houston was a mistake. It was popular with fans, but upon the first injury to the offensive line in Training Camp, the lack of quality depth in that position group ruined any chance of making the Chiefs' offense function as it should.

And for what? 3 sacks over 5 games. Justin Houston may have his first single-digits sack year since coming into the league as a rookie.

I suggested this possibility over a month ago.

Hate to say it because they were good players and popular here, but it's time to cut Hali and DJ.  Successful teams don't keep aging players costing high cap numbers and stay competitive long.  NE cut Welker while he was still productive and never missed a beat.  Same for other players.  It's time to roll over the high cost part of the roster.

I think this is a good place to start. There is soooo much wrong with the team right now.

Guest Okiechief1

This was the reason I said that paying Justin Houston was a mistake. It was popular with fans, but upon the first injury to the offensive line in Training Camp, the lack of quality depth in that position group ruined any chance of making the Chiefs' offense function as it should.

And for what? 3 sacks over 5 games. Justin Houston may have his first single-digits sack year since coming into the league as a rookie.

I suggested this possibility over a month ago.

Paying Houston isn't the reason the line is the way it is right now, even if they hadn't their was no guarantee they would have used that money on the line.

Pretty much every team in the league is in the same boat in that you aren't going to have quality depth at every position group. One or two injuries to the wrong group where very little depth is at can have a big impact on your season.

Guest dhitter

The Chiefs had the best OL in the NFL under Dick Vermeil, but their defense was one of the worst in NFL history...  The Chiefs had a great defense under Marty, but their offenses were bad, really bad.

Your recollection of history isn't that good Stubby. Marty had some years where the offense was actually pretty good. A little one dimensional to be sure but I think he had 4 years out of 10 where the offense was top ten. I loved Marty but he gets no pass under the guise that his "offense was bad". Marty made mistakes...none worse than the Grbac over Gannon debacle. The Chiefs should have won a SB under Marty but his mistakes and just bad luck derailed him.

Archived