Our next quarterback........

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's do it now and find out. That's the problem with this franchise. They won't admit they blew it with Smith and play him all year. Then Murray will start next year and go Brody Coyle on us and set us back another 3 years.

Maybe they didn't blow it. We replaced all of our offensive line and didn't really go after receivers that would help immediately. If they were trying to remain competitive while looking out for the future with Murray, they didn't blow it. Smith was supposed to be a placeholder until 2017, if Murray wasn't ready.

They might reach for who they want (at the time, Morse, and Ford) or overpay (Bowe, Smith, and didn't lock up Houston earlier). Smith's contract is middle of the league on a per year basis (15th before Luck signs). But who they get (Morse, Ford) may be the right guys in the future or for their purpose (Smith, though the oline might have sped up his usefulness there).

Morse was considered a modest reach, he was a 3rd round prospect that went mid 2nd round. Ford was a monumental fuck up, overrated throughout the entire process. Everyone on Earth could see he was useless against the run and had one pass rush move.

Anyhow, our next QB needs to be drafted in round 1 in the upcoming draft. It is time, it has to happen.

I think the Chiefs would be insanely safe on a QB in the first.

I think a prospect would need to be a very polished player or have ridiculous upside.

The Chiefs will be drafting in the top 10 at this rate, so they may have a shot at Connor Cook. Likely outcome is another fattie offensive linemen and homers get excite.

I would like to see Chase Daniel get a game or two under his belt. I am not sold that he is the answer, but he played well in preseason. More importantly, his ability to play under pressure is very much needed here. Alex Smith may not be a goner. He does need a break from the game. The Chiefs have to pay him anyway, so give him a few games off, and see if that helps. He may come back and play well. 

I don't understand teams that do not consider building a team from inside out. You have to have a stout DL and a good OL to win game in the NFL. It all begins there. The Chiefs did try to address the LT situation, but that was to replace the current LT (a money move). Dallas reportedly has the best OL, and their QB got hurt and may be out for most of the season. So, a good OL does not mean the QB is invincible. It does mean he is better protected. A lot also depends on the QB, who can make a good OL better. 

Alex Smith seems to be suffering from a case of drewbledsoeitis, and there is usually not a cure. However, if he can be fixed, it will not happen by continuing to play behind a porous OL, that is on pace to set a new NFL record for hits on the QB. 

The silver lining is the disease from which Alex Smith suffers was named after Drew Bledsoe, and he was replaced by one of the best quarterbacks of all times. There is hope. 

I like the idea of starting chase. The two games against Chargers and preseason it seems the team rally's around him. its a stronger message benching smith and starting chase then it is starting Murray. Starting murray means season is done. Organization can't do that yet. They sure can bench smiths ass. I just hope the playing calling changes now that Charles is out. Remember the games when he wasn't available. Run heavy and we controlled the clock. Shit the only good drive we had yesterday was the one Charles was hurt on. That was run after run with a play action to maclin.

I disagree, if the line is good enough to expect Smith to do well, it should be good enough to let Murray takes his rookie-like lumps. I mean, what are we salvaging? I don't think Daniel can get us there from this hole nor will he be here next year, IMO.

I disagree, if the line is good enough to expect Smith to do well, it should be good enough to let Murray takes his rookie-like lumps. I mean, what are we salvaging? I don't think Daniel can get us there from this hole nor will he be here next year, IMO.

Agree

If the Chiefs are in position to draft a QB in the first round, they had better play Murray this year.  What's the point to drafting Murray just to hold the clipboard for three years or be a permanent backup?  The Pats found their QB on the bench when Bledsoe went and what sense would it have made for them to spend their #1 for someone else at the time?  I want to see Murray for a few games before drafting his replacement as the QBOTF.

Brady is such a rarity that teams are still trying to figure out what the fuck happened 15 years later.

Murray is most likely a career back up. They should see what he has definitely but I wouldn't proclaim the QB search is over before it began.

Not saying the search is over, just that it makes sense to see what the Chiefs have before deciding draft strategy for next spring.

This might be the year we finally go QB in the 1st.  Our record may let us get the prize when its all said and done...but there are actually probably 3-4 other QBs expected to be taken in the bottom half of the first/early second round....we could catch one of these...I doubt it though, being as we probably need to draft O-line with our first 5 picks...lol

Brady is such a rarity that teams are still trying to figure out what the fuck happened 15 years later.

Murray is most likely a career back up. They should see what he has definitely but I wouldn't proclaim the QB search is over before it began.

You're speaking logic to the "Grigsby/Sippio for Hall of Fame" crowd dude...

Archived