Our next quarterback........

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm tired of hearing "don't put Murray out there, he'll be ruined". The guy has been in the NFL for a year and a half. Let's see what he has. Every year rookie QBs are thrown in and do fine but we all have to revert back to Carr. If you have it, you have it. Murray needs to learn from adversity not hide from it. Talk about ruined, if a d lineman sneezes, Alex Smith folds like a lawn chair. When was the last time the guy looked at a second read? I can see it now, Murray sits on the bench all year then the Chiefs don't draft a QB next year because they have Murray. 

I'm tired of hearing "don't put Murray out there, he'll be ruined". The guy has been in the NFL for a year and a half. Let's see what he has. Every year rookie QBs are thrown in and do fine but we all have to revert back to Carr. If you have it, you have it. Murray needs to learn from adversity not hide from it. Talk about ruined, if a d lineman sneezes, Alex Smith folds like a lawn chair. When was the last time the guy looked at a second read? I can see it now, Murray sits on the bench all year then the Chiefs don't draft a QB next year because they have Murray. 

Not every rookie quarterback "thrown in" has to play behind a sorry line.

Thus, the David Carr comparison.

There is something to what you are saying. It would be good to see what we have in both backups. These are not easy decisions. Losing Charles may make it easier to roll the dice on a young guy going forward. I hate to say that, but it is desperation time.

Murray may be the next coming of Drew Brees. If the OL is not there to protect him, he won't last long. The Chiefs may have their QB on the roster, but they better get to fixing that line.

Said about any short white QB since Brees went to NO.

How in the hell does anyone know if Murray will be a career backup?

Not a great arm, size or a great athlete.

Stronger opponents in the SEC really challenged his throwing ability and he was up and down when it happened.

Torn ACL alone doesn't make a QB a day 3 pick.

Said about any short white QB since Brees went to NO.

Not a great arm, size or a great athlete.

Stronger opponents in the SEC really challenged his throwing ability and he was up and down when it happened.

Torn ACL alone doesn't make a QB a day 3 pick.

I said "may", and I never mentioned which one. For me, Daniel was clearly the best QB on the team in preseason. Still, Daniel won't last the season with that line. 

Most of this problem this season is Reid's playcalling and the defense has been abysmal to say the least, as i thought Houston is nowhere to be seen after signing his fat deal, Peters is now being burnt and they have no legitimate 3rd cb!! It doesnt matter what the offense does if the defense cant stop nobody!!

I said "may", and I never mentioned which one. For me, Daniel was clearly the best QB on the team in preseason. Still, Daniel won't last the season with that line.

I've heard the the line will ruin Murray, Daniel won't last behind this line, and the line is good enough for Smith to play well but he isn't. Sounds a bit inconsistent. But I don't think Smith is playing his norm, which is often less than playing well (though he does play well for stretches). That's why I'm down on Smith right now. He isn't even playing his average.

But still, if Murray will be ruined and Daniel won't last, playing it out with Smith while the oline develops to a non-ruining lasting oline seems to be the best. Smith played in SF until that oline solidified for Kaepernick to take over.

That can be said of all QBs. Even first rounders. You never know until they get a chance. I would not put Murray behind this line. Chase for the time being unless we get the line figured out.

Diehard, why not put Murray in and see what he can do?  Bad line or not, throw him in.  You need to see what you have in order to draft effectively.  Alex Smith is not the answer, he has regressed badly in each season in KC.

I've heard the the line will ruin Murray, Daniel won't last behind this line, and the line is good enough for Smith to play well but he isn't. Sounds a bit inconsistent. But I don't think Smith is playing his norm, which is often less than playing well (though he does play well for stretches). That's why I'm down on Smith right now. He isn't even playing his average.

But still, if Murray will be ruined and Daniel won't last, playing it out with Smith while the oline develops to a non-ruining lasting oline seems to be the best. Smith played in SF until that oline solidified for Kaepernick to take over.

I am not an Alex Smith hater. I think he is limited, but serviceable, when well protected. He has been extremely durable. The lack of protection he has been provided, and the rotating coaching staffs have hurt his career. I believe Alex should be sat down before any more damage is done. He may still be able to return, and be an effective player. He has had good moments this year. He is starting to look like he is being beat down by the process. Weighing whether sitting a few games will have a greater affect on him or continuing to play under such duress, is a difficult thing. It is my guess he can overcome being shut down a few weeks. I'm not so sure he will survive the onslaught on the field. His judgement has clearly been clouded. He has made numerous mistakes. Is this because he is a horrible quarterback or is it because he is being damaged by the process? My thoughts are it is to do with the later. We need to get him out of there. I am sure he would argue differently. However, players don't always see it clearly from their own perspective. Alex Smith was wheeled off to the hospital following his final game of the season. He recovered from a bruised spleen. This season is worse. It has taken a toll. 

Who then is best suited if Alex Smith is to be replaced, at least in the short term? I believe Chase Daniel can withstand the punishment, and offer the best hope for the Chiefs. He is probably more suited for playing under duress than any other player on the team. He is shorter, but he is stout. He has the ability to run, and has been willing to absorb punishment. What I see in Daniel is a play maker sort of like a point guard on a basketball team. 

Alex Smith has been called a game manager. Perhaps that phrase was used as a backhanded complement. Right now, Smith is not being a good game manager. Is it right to leave him out there to take more hits just because we need a placeholder until the next guy? I don't think so. 

I am not an Alex Smith hater. I think he is limited, but serviceable, when well protected. He has been extremely durable. The lack of protection he has been provided, and the rotating coaching staffs have hurt his career. I believe Alex should be sat down before any more damage is done. He may still be able to return, and be an effective player. He has had good moments this year. He is starting to look like he is being beat down by the process. Weighing whether sitting a few games will have a greater affect on him or continuing to play under such duress, is a difficult thing. It is my guess he can overcome being shut down a few weeks. I'm not so sure he will survive the onslaught on the field. His judgement has clearly been clouded. He has made numerous mistakes. Is this because he is a horrible quarterback or is it because he is being damaged by the process? My thoughts are it is to do with the later. We need to get him out of there. I am sure he would argue differently. However, players don't always see it clearly from their own perspective. Alex Smith was wheeled off to the hospital following his final game of the season. He recovered from a bruised spleen. This season is worse. It has taken a toll. 

Who then is best suited if Alex Smith is to be replaced, at least in the short term? I believe Chase Daniel can withstand the punishment, and offer the best hope for the Chiefs. He is probably more suited for playing under duress than any other player on the team. He is shorter, but he is stout. He has the ability to run, and has been willing to absorb punishment. What I see in Daniel is a play maker sort of like a point guard on a basketball team. 

Alex Smith has been called a game manager. Perhaps that phrase was used as a backhanded complement. Right now, Smith is not being a good game manager. Is it right to leave him out there to take more hits just because we need a placeholder until the next guy? I don't think so. 

I like it!!

And I'll say it again....I know Reid and co. can see everything you described about Smith, but they trot him out there every Sunday, like Smith is gonna "all of a sudden" snap out of it.  That's whats killing me the worse. That kinda stuff is what gets whole coaching staffs fire..

It would have to be totally involuntary because he's already tried listening to his team that it was better to sit when he sat out after his concussion. He was cleared but didn't play, Kaepernick took over under the guise of long-term health and playoffs. Kaepernick then played with nothing to lose, no game film on him, in a new system of the read option that defenses hadn't figured out. Smith had the confidence to believe he was the guy and was replaced, what confidence would he have now? They could force him to the bench for whatever reasons they say or don't say, but they may need him later to help contractually. It wouldn't go over well publicly, not that that matters. He was a good soldier before and the threat of him not being shouldn't deter a benching if the coaches feel it's warranted, but as a breather, it's risky.

I do believe he has the mental toughness, confidence, and ability to handle it well and put himself in the best position, but it is hard and not really a bet that they should make if they did believe he could come back. If they are benching him permanently, it's a different thing. It's not going to happen unless it's moving on, not a breather.

Besides, I don't know what would get much better in 3 to 4 games that wouldn't get better in that off-season they just had. Smith should've been refreshed in the off-season and the line should've gotten better, neither seems to have been true. I'm not sure that would happen midseason.

Diehard, why not put Murray in and see what he can do?  Bad line or not, throw him in.  You need to see what you have in order to draft effectively.  Alex Smith is not the answer, he has regressed badly in each season in KC.

Agree with Studdly.   Now I feel somehow kind of dirty.

Diehard, why not put Murray in and see what he can do? Bad line or not, throw him in. You need to see what you have in order to draft effectively. Alex Smith is not the answer, he has regressed badly in each season in KC.

I guess I was thinking that we to make a decision on Daniels after this season. We have Murray under contract next year anyway. But yes, it would affect our drafting. Fair point.

Nobody has said the line is a good unit, that's false narrative.

I've said the left side and the Center has performed well, weeks ago. Weeks ago that was the case.

What I've said is Alex Smith just has to fucking deal with it. The worst line right now has to be actually San Diego and Rivers has managed to win some games with it.

There are a lot of shitty lines this year and you don't see a lot of QB's folding like a tent in result.

The line play shouldn't deter them from seeing what else they have on the roster. Gotta see how your other QB's handle adversity, because your starter can't handle it.

What I've said is Alex Smith just has to **** deal with it. The worst line right now has to be actually San Diego and Rivers has managed to win some games with it.

Even if Rivers' offensive line was worse, the argument that Rivers is doing all of the winning is bologna. Rivers' team has all of one more win than the Chiefs', Rivers has been responsible for three of his opponents' defensive touchdowns, and Rivers' defense has given up significantly fewer points. Both of Rivers' wins came at home against teams with losing records, including the winless Lions.

How about giving credit to teams for wins, especially when a quarterback's own play isn't recommended unless points are awarded for gunslinging for the sake of gunslinging?

I grew up watching the Cubs play on a black and white TV that my neighbor friend and I got to show by erecting a huge, homemade antenna in the attic of his house.  Back then, baseball was not on national television very often, and so we thought it was a real kick to be able to pull in WGN. Sometimes, the picture quality was poor, and the only thing we could do was listen to the announcer. Some rain delays were the most fun because Ernie Banks told stories with Jack Brickhouse about the olden days. It was magic to me back then. When the television became color, and the picture quality improved, we could tell just how bad the team was compared to others. I learned to enjoy the plays that were good, and laugh at the times when things weren't so good. It was almost comical. No matter how good a player was, the Cubs always traded him. No matter how many home runs the team hit when the wind was going out, the other team roughed up our pitching staff. Players collided with each other. Errors were made. Bloopers happened all the time. 

This is going to be a tough year. We all had high expectations. Expectations are the problem. It is alright to have hopes and wishes, but expectations indicate the necessity of an outcome. Its unhealthy. I didn't watch much of the game last Sunday. I hope to enjoy the Royals as they attempt to return to the World Series. I will still watch the Chiefs, and hope for a win. Six losses are about as many as most teams can afford to lose and still make it to the playoffs. After five games, the Chiefs have all but two of those losses. The Chiefs play some better teams, and they aren't likely to start winning now. Things don't work out that way. Sometimes, losing has a cascading effect. 

I follow the Royals now more than the Cubs. However, I am going to start watching the Chiefs in much the same way I learned to observe the Cubs. I hope they win, but I will chose not to set expectations. I know interesting things will happen even if those things are not good. We get to watch Pittsburgh, Denver, Buffalo, and a number of good teams. I really don't hope Rothelisberger stays hurt. It will be a challenge, but I hope the Chiefs can beat him, and the others who are the best in the league. As long as the expectations for this year are low, I think it is going to be fun to watch games as an observer. I want to see the best players. I want to see how our young guys develop. I don't want to see lousy teams, just because this is not our year. 

Maybe the Chiefs will make a miraculous turnabout. I doubt it, but stranger things have happened. Right now, it seems extremely unlikely. I like football. I am going to change my attitude towards the games I watch. I refuse to be pissed off because a bunch of millionaires can't play to the level of my expectations. 

Archived