Our next quarterback........

Our next QB will not matter if the Chiefs do not address protection. There are few players who can survive without above average protection. Manning was able to survive early in his career. Later, he had trouble on occasion, but seems to be an exception. Also, you could put Aaron Rodgers in that category. After that, you would have to look long and far to find another. Brady has had trouble when faced with pressure. Drew Brees is currently having difficulty as the Saints cannot protect him. The odds of getting the one in fifteen or twenty year quarterback, who can adjust to pressure without protection is very slim. 

The Chiefs may have a very high draft pick. Once again they may have the choice of picking a QB or LT. Last time it did not work

This myth where you need this whole complete team to draft and play a young QB is ridiculous.

There have been plenty of young QB's that survived being pounded and were fine. It's best to let them get all the dumb young shit out of their system while your team sucks.

I do not think Andy Reid should pick the next QB. The HC should pick his QB and letting a lame duck do it would be a bad move imo

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And in short, you swallow whole the propaganda that NFL franchises violate contracts by terminating their players. The fact is, their ability to cut players at will is a right they reserve. The signing bonuses, roster bonuses, salary guarantees, and other such payments are the mechanisms agreed to between both parties upon signing of the contract to make up for the fact that clubs reserve the right to fire players at will.

So you almost see things correctly.

The draft argument has a lot more gray area, but it clearly wasn't the intent of the Annual Selection Meeting regulations to allow 'Super Firsts' to manipulate the draft so that they could go to a team of their choosing rather than going to the team with the exclusive right to choose them. Exploiting loopholes is almost as bad as the outright violation of the rules.

You aren't getting it...  Sure teams can cut players, IT'S BUSINESS.  But there are some players who have enough leverage to one-up their team, and guys like Manning and Elway could, and did.  It wasn't illegal, IT'S BUSINESS.

This myth where you need this whole complete team to draft and play a young QB is ridiculous.

There have been plenty of young QB's that survived being pounded and were fine. It's best to let them get all the dumb young shit out of their system while your team sucks.

I do not think Andy Reid should pick the next QB. The HC should pick his QB and letting a lame duck do it would be a bad move imo

Again, it depends on the QB. Some can survive. Most require a system that will allow them to survive. David Carr was a very good QB, and would have been good in the NFL, IMO. However, the team he went to was horrible and it ruined his career. He was sacked a record times. 

Reid may play out his contract. We just don't know. I haven't seen the same spark he exhibited when he first came to KC. The players seem to be playing hard, but making a lot of mistakes. If he loses the locker room, it will be over for the team. If the team finishes last it will be difficult for the team to not start pointing fingers. The one thing the Chiefs have going for them is there are a lot of good character players on the team. Allen Bailey is playing outstanding football. Derrick Johnson and Eric Berry are team leaders. Justin Houston does not need coaching. There are enough of these kind of players that it is hard to believe the team can be this bad. The biggest issue seems to be on the offense. 

I am not entirely sold on the lot of QBs in college today. Goff seems to have the inside track at being the first QB taken, but Cook is close. Hackenberg is playing in the wrong system, and not getting a lot of help. He has looked rough at times, but he may end up being the better QB of the lot. You draft a QB based upon their production in college, but collegiate level is not good enough for the NFL. Even the best QB in college is no match for the NFL. They have to project as a QB. This means the best QB in college may not have the potential to make it in the NFL. Some has to do with arm strength, size, and accuracy, but a lot of it has to do with the internal fortitude of the player. 

David Carr had no shot. Sure the line was bad, but he made it a lot worse since he couldn't decide how to pass and held onto the ball forever. One aspect that people choose not to talk about.

I also think his offensive coordinator, at the time, was Urban Meyer. Definitely doesn't prepare his QBs for the NFL.

I also think his offensive coordinator, at the time, was Urban Meyer. Definitely doesn't prepare his QBs for the NFL.

Yeah, and I don't think he should prepare his QBs for the NFL UNLESS he has the personnel to win with that goal in mind. I've seen a lot of pro-ready systems that don't win national titles.

Our next QB will not matter if the Chiefs do not address protection. There are few players who can survive without above average protection. Manning was able to survive early in his career. Later, he had trouble on occasion, but seems to be an exception. Also, you could put Aaron Rodgers in that category. After that, you would have to look long and far to find another. Brady has had trouble when faced with pressure. Drew Brees is currently having difficulty as the Saints cannot protect him. The odds of getting the one in fifteen or twenty year quarterback, who can adjust to pressure without protection is very slim.

The Chiefs may have a very high draft pick. Once again they may have the choice of picking a QB or LT. Last time it did not work

Very true. Without a line, we have nothing.

David Carr had no shot. Sure the line was bad, but he made it a lot worse since he couldn't decide how to pass and held onto the ball forever. One aspect that people choose not to talk about.

There is a washed out first round QB on every street corner. Biggest crap shoot of the draft.

Guest Okiechief1

I didn't really think of Andy as a lame duck coach till you said this. Some truth to it though cause I doubt he stays past his current contract and probably looking at things in the short term versus what's best long term.

I still think if a QB is there you take the shot but let Dorsey make that call as chances are he is going to be picking the next HC.

I like Connor Cook. He is very clutch and has several 4th quarter comebacks.

I don't get why people compare Goff to Matt Ryan. Goff has like one, maybe two 4th quarter comebacks. Matt Ryan has a ton of them! There is a reason he is called "Matty Ice."

This is the most important thing when measuring a QB for the NFL imo. Russell Wilson had six of them his senior year and that's why I wanted him so bad back then. 

This is what the Chiefs have been missing since Montana left. It is without a doubt the most important quality for a QB in the NFL. If you don't have a QB who can put a team on his back and carry them in the biggest time of need, you don't have a QB.

Just saying it's no sure fix. We just need to get a play maker and not draft out of desperation. BPA in the first round.

No.

Same bullshit agenda that's been ramrodded down our throats since 1983. Fuck that. Get a QB or prepare to lose.

Saw Goff, and he is alright. Saw Cook, and he is OK. None of these are good enough to carry Paxton Lynch's jock strap. NONE. He is the QB to go after in the draft. Might be the QB to intentionally lose the rest of your games in order to secure. 

I like Connor Cook. He is very clutch and has several 4th quarter comebacks.

I don't get why people compare Goff to Matt Ryan. Goff has like one, maybe two 4th quarter comebacks. Matt Ryan has a ton of them! There is a reason he is called "Matty Ice."

This is the most important thing when measuring a QB for the NFL imo. Russell Wilson had six of them his senior year and that's why I wanted him so bad back then. 

This is what the Chiefs have been missing since Montana left. It is without a doubt the most important quality for a QB in the NFL. If you don't have a QB who can put a team on his back and carry them in the biggest time of need, you don't have a QB.

Goff - 20 losses in last three years

Cook - 3 losses in last three years

He blew a bunch of chances at comebacks. More to come...

I don't know man. I keep reading he compares to Ryan Mallet. Seems like a long shot to me. However, I haven't seen him play.

You should watch him play. Definitely has the tools. Very, very good player. Not the bonehead player Mallet was in college.

Archived