Breaking Down a Play..

try this un'..

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/10/13/9522941/capitol-mils-tip-drill-play-breakdown-week-5-kc-vs-chief

Capitol Mil's Tip Drill: Play Breakdown Week 5 KC vs CHI

By Capitol_Mil

@Capitol_Mil on Oct 13, 2015, 6:31p 16

filmroom.0.0.png

Tweet (6) Share

From the FanPosts -Joel

There is a massive amount of information produced each NFL play. In real time, we can typically only capture two pieces of information: Usually we know if it's 1.) ass or run, and 2.) if the play worked or didn't. Let's go a bit further into info we can take in pre-snap, and how that information works out post-snap.

Why Play Breakdowns:

Outside of just talent and execution, the amount of information, knowledge and decision making needed to succeed each play intrigues me considerably, and I'm going to spend time breaking down one of the more interesting plays (to me) of the Chiefs-Bears game.

Why this play:

I tagged about six plays as worthy of breaking down, but this one held my interest the most because it involved two elements that I see as good development for the two players involved:

• Alex Smith threw a scrambling, up-field throw well
  • A receiver was prepared to react to the play breaking down and help the QB. This is activity that goes beyond the first break given to the receiver on the play call
  • Added bonus after review: Great play design manipulating defensive coverage assignments
I've noticed a dearth of the top two elements in recent games, so it was great to see both happen at once. I often see Alex Smith mentally working out the mechanics and footwork, which affects his ability to hit targets while scrambling. And compounding the problem, I don't always see receivers producing themselves as viable targets after the QB scrambles.

Let's get into it.

Pre-snap Information

Situational Analysis:

Firs and 10, early in second quarter. Chiefs have position near midfield after a nice special teams possession.

Offensive Personnel:

Three tight ends, Maclin, Charles

Defensive Personnel:

3-4 front seven, Cover 2 secondary

VHSLMj3.png

Alignment/Formation:

Maclin splits wide (outside the numbers) left with a Cover 2 look on his side of the formation.

Three tight ends in tight to the right formation, with CB and two strong side LBs split in a levels coverage. A safety over the top looks like a Cover 2, but shaded in just a bit.

Charles is behind QB, quite far back.

Weakside OLB shows rush, and WILB shows zone coverage. This is three defenders to basically cover Maclin or a Charles left side dump (which he doesn't go left). So three defenders for one player on the closed side of the field.

0ySD9Br.jpg?1

Opportunities/Threats
Offensive Strength Presnap

The offensive formation stresses the right (offensive) side of the field. One defender per level leaves multiple options for the three TE to stress different levels, and the TE are competent receivers, meaning even correct coverage could end up in a loss for the coverage folk due to mismatch of receiving TEs vs LBs.

There is added stress on the SILB due to this being first and 10 and a potentially overloaded run opportunity to the right side of the offensive formation. He must key in on Charles before adding to to any coverage concepts after the snap.

The safety on the TE side of the formation stays shaded in a bit, but it's unlikely he'll break in on this play. It would add little to let him try to jump in the trips mess but would lose considerable leverage if he lets a receiver behind him.

Knowing the safety will stay back allows the offense dictate the action on the near right side.

Defensive Strength Presnap

On the left side of the field, the defense is designed for the zone CB to push the WR into the safety for any upfield route, and for the WILB to cover the hole the WOLB vacates by rushing. With three defenders in coverage vs WR, offensive opportunity isn't strong on this side of the field. Any primary read to #19 preplay should be abandoned.

Post Snap
Post Snap Deviation

The defense executed the assignments they showed presnap, including the SS staying back. No tricks on this play.

Play at the end of QB Dropback

Alex Smith does (roughly) a five step drop at the end of a play action fake. On his drop back, both receivers who have made the initial break on their routes are covered. Kelce hasn't broke on his route yet, and isn't available for a throw.

zs29bbS.jpg

The WOLB takes Harris' flat out route. It's covered decently, and low payoff / tough throw is not worth the risk.

Both SILB No. 50 and CB No. 23 cover O'Shaughnessy's complex route. He runs a short up, then in, snaring the LB with the in, and sits for a second, snaring the CB's middle coverage. Two defenders on him.

CGuHDh9.jpg?1

This leaves Kelce running upfield, and with only the safety (not close) in coverage. It appears to be a seam route before Kelce runs his break, leaving the safety flat footed and unable to break in any direction.

Extension of play

Alex's first reads show the initial routes covered, and scrambles right to extend the play. Some may note there is a scramble with no pressure, but with all the route development to the right sideline, there is no opportunity cost to breaking out of the pocket here.

Both No. 50 and NO. 23 CB are still doing their best Night At The Roxbury impression on No. 80. This leaves space between No. 80's route and the safety on the top.

Kelce's apparent seam route is now breaking out towards the sideline. The safety, noting Alex's scramble, has now started to cover towards the sideline. He's able to abandon the middle of the field as the other safety rotates towards the middle.

8U4IbUl.jpg?1

This is where the play shows some good skill development. Kelce adjusts his route, stopping, which ends his convergence with the SS, and Alex, while scrambling throws the ball to Kelce's back shoulder away from the Safety defender.

This play shows an awareness and connection between Kelce and Alex Smith that extended the play, using a quick thinking adjustment in tandem that made a play broken at the dropback into a win.

Summary
With an o-line that is probably physically talented, but at this point considerably under-experienced to be dependable, these types of playmaking adjustments between the QB and WRs are going to be what drives the success of the team moving forward in 2015. Defenses know the o-line has holes in it, and will continue to bear down on the line of scrimmage.

I hope to see more and more of the receivers reacting to coverage in scrambling situations and Alex crossing the line of scrimmage less, thus keeping defenders honest by hurting them if they're sticking near the LOS.

This is a FanPost and does not necessarily reflect the views of Arrowhead Pride's writers or editors. It does reflect the views of this particular fan though, which is as important as the views of Arrowhead Pride writers or editors.

small_arrowheadpride.com.minimal.png More from Ar

From the FanPosts -Joel

There is a massive amount of information produced each NFL play. In real time, we can typically only capture two pieces of information: Usually we know if it's 1.) ass or run, and 2.) if the play worked or didn't. Let's go a bit further into info we can take in pre-snap, and how that information works out post-snap.

ass or run. Never heard that one. Sometimes, I have the runs, and have to wipe my ass. Maybe that has something to do with the article. 

Archived