Kansas City Chiefs @ Minnesota Vikings Game Thread

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guest Chieftain

No points until the 4th quarter is just pathetic. The only way the Chiefs can win games is if they play a clean game with no penalties and turnovers based off the inept offense. I was impressed with the way that the run defense was able to hold Peterson to a 2.3 avg on a large amount of carries, he had26. Bailey was very impressive against the run as was the whole front 7 and Peterson would have had even worse stats if Devito wouldn't have got hurt. I'm tired of seeing opposing teams  get wide open receptions against the defense because of soft coverage; I would be excited to see what a defensive coordinator similar to the caliber of Wade Phillips could do with the defensive talent the Chiefs have. I don't think Sutton is blitzing enough against certain QB's, I'd be interested to see how many times the Chiefs rushed more than 4 this game.

More than anything the most disappointing thing is seeing a winning team from last year, start this year at 1 and 5. This wouldn't be much of a surprise if the Chiefs were 5 and 11 last year. I would pinpoint the difference between this team being 1 and 5 compared to 4 and 2 this year as poor coaching and lack of leadership more than the lack of execution on the field. Andy needs to take full responsibility, the players on this team haven't changed much from last year and they've gone from a possible playoff team last year to having the possibility of picking 1st in this years draft. Andy ran the ball reluctantly this game, the running game had no real purpose. The only reason he called running plays is to try to keep it balanced. BTW Sherman had that first down on 3rd down and 1 with forward progress, it was clear to see on the television. If Andy would have thrown the challenge flag, I think there was a good chance that the refs would have reversed the call on the field. However, I understand his reasoning for not challenging the ruling because he could have wasted a timeout and he probably felt confident they could pick up the first down on the 4th down play that ended up being short (West was never down btw).

I really think there is a lack of leadership on the offensive side of the ball.Unrelated to leadership, I think at least 1 of those 2 receptions would have been hauled in by Maclin  at the end of the game if he wouldn't have been concussed and had to leave the game but Smith had to rely on Wilson instead. In Wilson's defense those balls were low, however they were in a position only he could catch them and I've seen plenty of wide receivers make those tough catches.

I'm not one that thinks we need a complete overhaul of coaches and QB  but sometimes people never change. In Reid's case, he'll probably always keep the same "We need to get better" speech at every press conference loss. He'll always have poor time management skills and always rely to heavily on the pass. However, he needs to be able to realize his shortcomings and try to change his style of coaching by changing the way he thinks, (Iongshot) , or giving the duties to another coach who can do a better job, (more likely). I truly hope he is able to identify what he is doing wrong rather than in addition to the execution of  players, I think this is the only way to progress this season. I really do think Reid is a pretty good coach overall, he's not legendary by any means but he's good enough to field playoff teams. I don't think Reid should be fired after this season even if they only win 2 more games. I would give him at least 1 more season to figure things out but if 2016 is as bad as 2015 and they don't make the playoffs then you cut ties. This may be foolish but I think if Jim Harbaugh was coaching this Chiefs team rather than Andy Reid at this point the Chiefs would be 2nd in the division at least.

Seriously disappointed, I expected 9 and 7 this year and I think those expectations were realistic. Now, I'm expecting 4 and 12. I feel like this season is lost and it seems the players and coaches share the same sentiment, I hope they prove me wrong.

No points until the 4th quarter is just pathetic. The only way the Chiefs can win games is if they play a clean game with no penalties and turnovers based off the inept offense. I was impressed with the way that the run defense was able to hold Peterson to a 2.3 avg on a large amount of carries, he had26. Bailey was very impressive against the run as was the whole front 7 and Peterson would have had even worse stats if Devito wouldn't have got hurt. I'm tired of seeing opposing teams  get wide open receptions against the defense because of soft coverage; I would be excited to see what a defensive coordinator similar to the caliber of Wade Phillips could do with the defensive talent the Chiefs have. I don't think Sutton is blitzing enough against certain QB's, I'd be interested to see how many times the Chiefs rushed more than 4 this game.

More than anything the most disappointing thing is seeing a winning team from last year, start this year at 1 and 5. This wouldn't be much of a surprise if the Chiefs were 5 and 11 last year. I would pinpoint the difference between this team being 1 and 5 compared to 4 and 2 this year as poor coaching and lack of leadership more than the lack of execution on the field. Andy needs to take full responsibility, the players on this team haven't changed much from last year and they've gone from a possible playoff team last year to having the possibility of picking 1st in this years draft. Andy ran the ball reluctantly this game, the running game had no real purpose. The only reason he called running plays is to try to keep it balanced. BTW Sherman had that first down on 3rd down and 1 with forward progress, it was clear to see on the television. If Andy would have thrown the challenge flag, I think there was a good chance that the refs would have reversed the call on the field. However, I understand his reasoning for not challenging the ruling because he could have wasted a timeout and he probably felt confident they could pick up the first down on the 4th down play that ended up being short (West was never down btw).

I really think there is a lack of leadership on the offensive side of the ball.Unrelated to leadership, I think at least 1 of those 2 receptions would have been hauled in by Maclin  at the end of the game if he wouldn't have been concussed and had to leave the game but Smith had to rely on Wilson instead. In Wilson's defense those balls were low, however they were in a position only he could catch them and I've seen plenty of wide receivers make those tough catches.

I'm not one that thinks we need a complete overhaul of coaches and QB  but sometimes people never change. In Reid's case, he'll probably always keep the same "We need to get better" speech at every press conference loss. He'll always have poor time management skills and always rely to heavily on the pass. However, he needs to be able to realize his shortcomings and try to change his style of coaching by changing the way he thinks, (Iongshot) , or giving the duties to another coach who can do a better job, (more likely). I truly hope he is able to identify what he is doing wrong rather than in addition to the execution of  players, I think this is the only way to progress this season. I really do think Reid is a pretty good coach overall, he's not legendary by any means but he's good enough to field playoff teams. I don't think Reid should be fired after this season even if they only win 2 more games. I would give him at least 1 more season to figure things out but if 2016 is as bad as 2015 and they don't make the playoffs then you cut ties. This may be foolish but I think if Jim Harbaugh was coaching this Chiefs team rather than Andy Reid at this point the Chiefs would be 2nd in the division at least.

Seriously disappointed, I expected 9 and 7 this year and I think those expectations were realistic. Now, I'm expecting 4 and 12. I feel like this season is lost and it seems the players and coaches share the same sentiment, I hope they prove me wrong.

Its all REid. He has proven to the players his game planning is a joke. His clock management is a joke. His DC is a joke. Prior to this game defense sucked as well. Minn is not a great team and KC is worse.

It's reid and his stupid play calling. First possession tells u everything. 3 pass plays on your own 5. Two of the 3 plays are passes along LOS. Unbelievable. All this short passing game and minimal run plays is putting the players in position to get hit hard. Defenders are sitting and waiting to lay the hammer.

Sorry but you just can't win in the NFL much when you're constantly a well below 50% converting on 3rd downs team.

Sure maybe a win here and there, but you can't do it for a whole year.

It's been an off and on problem the whole Reid era that's now just completely on.

Sutton blows, yes, but you can only fool a guy so much when you already have plenty of footage for an opponent to see after just a few games.

Jamaal gone isn't the reason. They sucked with him.

It's a overwhelming problem that just can't be solved in one area.

You can't convert if you throw behind the LoS and the D knows it's happening. The offense design is shit. The line can't handle long sustained blocks, so you're kinda fucked on 3rd and long.

You're fucked on 3rd and short because your QB loves to throw before the sticks....a lot.

Teams don't respect the Chiefs ability to pass.

Zimmer was all out blitzing on 3rd downs daring KC to do something about it. Teams aren't scared of Alex Smith.

And Donald Stephenson needs to sit. He's been abused since the Denver game, although I do appreciate his desire to help clinch a top pick for a new QB. Forcing the fumble to clinch the loss eas clutch as hell.

Guest Chieftain

It's reid and his stupid play calling. First possession tells u everything. 3 pass plays on your own 5. Two of the 3 plays are passes along LOS. Unbelievable. All this short passing game and minimal run plays is putting the players in position to get hit hard. Defenders are sitting and waiting to lay the hammer.

I agree it is the play calling that is the problem. There was only 16 rush attempts today ( I'm not counting 2 of Smith's runs) compared to 37 passes. I don't have the statistics but of the time Andy has been here I guarantee that his wins predominantly come when the ball is ran more than passed or close to 50/50. I know being behind dictates throwing the ball more but we have Alex Smith not Tom Brady. On the season before today's game there was 173 pass attempts by Smith and 100 rushing attempts(I'm not counting the 26 rushes by Smith since those were most likely designed to be passes). IMO 

Looking at Green Bay team statistics, you have 153 pass attempts and 124 rushing attempts... Aaron Rodgers has thrown the ball less than Alex Smith. Granted, The Patriots have 160 pass attempts compared to 80 rush attempts, so that kind of refutes my argument of needing a balanced offense to be successful. However, I still think Andy Reid has the wrong offensive play calling for the offensive players he has on the field.

Next week I would like to see more of a reliance on the run game, I don't expect that to happen though. 

I agree it is the play calling that is the problem. There was only 16 rush attempts today ( I'm not counting 2 of Smith's runs) compared to 37 passes. I don't have the statistics but of the time Andy has been here I guarantee that his wins predominantly come when the ball is ran more than passed or close to 50/50. I know being behind dictates throwing the ball more but we have Alex Smith not Tom Brady. On the season before today's game there was 173 pass attempts by Smith and 100 rushing attempts(I'm not counting the 26 rushes by Smith since those were most likely designed to be passes). IMO 

Looking at Green Bay team statistics, you have 153 pass attempts and 124 rushing attempts... Aaron Rodgers has thrown the ball less than Alex Smith. Granted, The Patriots have 160 pass attempts compared to 80 rush attempts, so that kind of refutes my argument of needing a balanced offense to be successful. However, I still think Andy Reid has the wrong offensive play calling for the offensive players he has on the field.

Next week I would like to see more of a reliance on the run game, I don't expect that to happen though. 

Next week I would like to see a thinner head coach on the sidelines. It takes Reid so long to fill up he must not have time to game plan. We need a fit coach!

Guest Chieftain

Next week I would like to see a thinner head coach on the sidelines. It takes Reid so long to fill up he must not have time to game plan. We need a fit coach!

I hope you're joking, it's not that hard to eat a hot pocket and study the game plan at the same time. I think he's capable of doing two things at once.

Archived