It starts with the offensive line

Man you are in so deep with Alex. Will you be moving on from the chiefs when Alex is gone like the you jumped ship on the niners?

You are the only person left on earth who thinks Alex smith is good. You lack humility and won't admit you are wrong about Alex.

And for the above, those "teams" included THE qb's listed above making them a component of such"team"

Alex lacking skills, hurts the "team"

Why do you have to call my fanship into question? That's got nothing to do with anything.

And where does "humility" come into play here? What exactly do you take my position to be? What has been proved? That Alex cannot succeed behind the offensive line providing the worst pass protection in all the league? I've never said anything other than that for Smith to meet his potential as a quarterback, he needs to have a functional offensive line. This offensive line is not functional. It's worse than last year's line.

So here's the crux of the matter: I judge Smith according to the circumstance.

Circumstance #1: Smith's executing the West Coast Offense. A prerequisite of running the West Coast Offense is that you have a clean pocket to pass from. You can't set up the run or the deep pass if you can't execute short passes because the guards are getting pushed into where the quarterback is supposed to be throwing the ball from. There is no legitimate argument that Smith consistently has such a pocket. The scheme is inherently impaired.

Circumstance #2: Smith's offensive line play is being further adversely affected by the ineffective play of the Chiefs' defense, which has done little throughout the season to contribute to winning efforts. They gave up almost 30 points a game over the first four games of the season. They didn't leverage leads as they should have in the games against the Broncos and Bears, and they didn't keep the Bengals or Packers from getting into the endzone twice in the first quarter.

Circumstance #3: Smith's supporting cast has committed five turnovers in six games. Two of those killed what could have game-winning drives.

Circumstance #4: Smith's own play has definitely not been at his standard. See circumstances #1, #2, and #3.

Let's get back to #4 when any two of #1, #2, or #3 get resolved. Smith only needs two of those to be competitive. I'm not suggesting Smith needs an all-world cast. He would be fine with average. The Chiefs, in every respect, have been far below "below-average".

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The curious thing is the Chiefs should be acquiring players who fit the zone blocking scheme, but instead, they bring in guys who are suited for power blocking. Of course, this would be alright if the offense dictated a power blocking scheme, but the Chiefs operate a zone blocking scheme. 

Case in point

Grubbs - power blocker, who failed at N.O. when tried to turn into ZB

Fulton -  power blocker

Fisher -  Tweener between ZB and PB

Morse probably can do both ZB and PB - no problems there

Stephenson is a ZB player, who was selected before Dorsey and Reid. He is just not good enough. 

Grubbs and Fulton are power blocking guys. Grubbs is on the decline. Fulton is never going to be very good, because he isn't good enough. 

Fisher found his spot at RT. Should have been there the whole time. One was too high, but Albert at LT and Fisher at RT in year 2 + would have worked. 

LDT has the most talent at RG, but still does not know how to play the game. The muscle memory is not there. Needs better coaching too. The OL coaching staff cannot be good, since there are numerous players who failed to improve or declined in ability. 

Going forth, the Chiefs need to find a LT. Grubbs is not great, but adequate. Morse should get better with experience. Fisher, if he can settle in at RT is alright. This means, if the Chiefs address LT and RG they will be much better. Morse still needs to get bigger. He got brutalized at Cincy. 

I rewatched video of last three games. IMHOP I believe that our weakest link is Stephenson. He anchors the most important position on the offensive line and he is NOT GOOD at pass blocking period. This is probably why he was not more of a factor last season. I had thought it was right guard but Fulton has been acceptable..but not great. Grubbs is not the player we thought he was but that is our fault not his. Morse and Fisher can be made into good football players IMHOP but we really miss Albert and Hudson. Fisher needs to stay at right tackle. Morse is smallish for a center but I think you can get by the size differential at center better than at guard. I don't know what to think of LD.

PS - I think more needs to be made of Jamal Charles' blocking ability.

Don't be surprised to find KC coming out in double tight with Kelse and O'Shaughnessey.

I rewatched video of last three games. IMHOP I believe that our weakest link is Stephenson. He anchors the most important position on the offensive line and he is NOT GOOD at pass blocking period. This is probably why he was not more of a factor last season. I had thought it was right guard but Fulton has been acceptable..but not great. Grubbs is not the player we thought he was but that is our fault not his. Morse and Fisher can be made into good football players IMHOP but we really miss Albert and Hudson. Fisher needs to stay at right tackle. Morse is smallish for a center but I think you can get by the size differential at center better than at guard. I don't know what to think of LD.

PS - I think more needs to be made of Jamal Charles' blocking ability.

Don't be surprised to find KC coming out in double tight with Kelse and O'Shaughnessey.

They went double tight at least twice this past game, with back to back O'Shaughnessey passes. They probably did it much more, I just noticed Kelce pumping him up after the catches. I think it was on the fumble possession. We got 260 yards on 20-28 passing in the second, so maybe that contributed as a new look for the Vikings to figure out on the fly.

The curious thing is the Chiefs should be acquiring players who fit the zone blocking scheme, but instead, they bring in guys who are suited for power blocking. Of course, this would be alright if the offense dictated a power blocking scheme, but the Chiefs operate a zone blocking scheme.

Case in point

Grubbs - power blocker, who failed at N.O. when tried to turn into ZB

Fulton - power blocker

Fisher - Tweener between ZB and PB

Morse probably can do both ZB and PB - no problems there

Stephenson is a ZB player, who was selected before Dorsey and Reid. He is just not good enough.

Grubbs and Fulton are power blocking guys. Grubbs is on the decline. Fulton is never going to be very good, because he isn't good enough.

Fisher found his spot at RT. Should have been there the whole time. One was too high, but Albert at LT and Fisher at RT in year 2 + would have worked.

LDT has the most talent at RG, but still does not know how to play the game. The muscle memory is not there. Needs better coaching too. The OL coaching staff cannot be good, since there are numerous players who failed to improve or declined in ability.

Going forth, the Chiefs need to find a LT. Grubbs is not great, but adequate. Morse should get better with experience. Fisher, if he can settle in at RT is alright. This means, if the Chiefs address LT and RG they will be much better. Morse still needs to get bigger. He got brutalized at Cincy.

The goal was to be a power blocking line. That's why Albert, Winston and Asamoah are gone.

They eventually mixed in zone concepts out of desperation and now the line has no identity.

They botched everything.

I don't think Grubbs is exactly healthy and probably needs to go. They need 2 new guards and a Left Tackle.

Archived