Chiefs Under Cap?

Awesome. More cash for next year to give to untalented players. Wont need it this year because...well...5 losses already. 

Think Mathis and that guy , oh know character issues guy, with Dallas could have helped? Looks good in Dallas. NO murders yet.

Character? This team has some real characters for sure.

Guest 303Chiefs

Awesome. More cash for next year to give to untalented players. Wont need it this year because...well...5 losses already.

Think Mathis and that guy , oh know character issues guy, with Dallas could have helped? Looks good in Dallas. NO murders yet.

We need money to pay out next #1 overall pick...to warm the bench.

Collins didn't want to come here, hence why no bueno.

Mathis is baffling still.

He and his agent were bluffing to sit out and re-enter the draft if he wasn't drafted on Friday.

He bluffed it but he can't do that. If he is drafted, all he can do is sit out. The only way that you can reenter draft is if you're not drafted. At least that is what the NFL said. That is why Elway needed to be able to have his baseball in order to bluff.

He bluffed it but he can't do that. If he is drafted, all he can do is sit out. The only way that you can reenter draft is if you're not drafted. At least that is what the NFL said. That is why Elway needed to be able to have his baseball in order to bluff.

You can sit out if you're drafted. Just ask Bo Jackson.

Typically it's very ill advised to do what La'el Collins did, but it paid off in the long run for him. He got more money than a day 3 selection and got to choose where to play. He won.

You can't re-enter the draft if you go undrafted as you automatically become a FA. Got it mixed up.

You can sit out if you're drafted. Just ask Bo Jackson.

Typically it's very ill advised to do what La'el Collins did, but it paid off in the long run for him. He got more money than a day 3 selection and got to choose where to play. He won.

You can't re-enter the draft if you go undrafted as you automatically become a FA. Got it mixed up.

You're right. I got it switched. I think he said that he was going to reenter the draft, the supplemental draft. And that's what the NFL said he couldn't do. Maybe I'm wrong again. But I know that there was something he bluffed that he couldn't do.

You're right. I got it switched. I think he said that he was going to reenter the draft, the supplemental draft. And that's what the NFL said he couldn't do. Maybe I'm wrong again. But I know that there was something he bluffed that he couldn't do.

They were talking about reentering the draft if he went undrafted, which he couldn't do.

The goal is to get paid, and he got gotpaid more now. He will also play close to home and will look better on a good line, where he will get paid even more.

His agent was brilliant.

They were talking about reentering the draft if he went undrafted, which he couldn't do.

The goal is to get paid, and he got gotpaid more now. He will also play close to home and will look better on a good line, where he will get paid even more.

His agent was brilliant.

Maybe in the long run he'll make more but UDFA are slotted, too pay wise. It would have to be less than those drafted.

Maybe in the long run he'll make more but UDFA are slotted, too pay wise. It would have to be less than those drafted.

No.

Base salary is the same post round 3 through UUDFA. After that, you basically get what they offer you or you have to be willing to sit out a full year.

Teams have up to around 80,000 they can give as a SB to UDFAs and have the ability to guarantee some to all of that base.

UDFA's also can sign a new deal after just 2 years, so he can cash in faster.

Doesn't matter.  I was really for the Chiefs drafting Collins before he got into trouble and went berserk when they didn't even spend a 7th on him.  No risk, great possible reward.  Lots of other teams passed as well, but none more in need of quality O-linemen and the Chiefs will regret this folly for years to come.

He was never in trouble, just someone police wanted to talk to because he once dated the victim.

Teams got scared after all the domestic violence problems and the whole Hernandez thing.

I would of burnt a comp 3rd rounder if his party could assure me they were clean. If he ain't, deal is voided and player is gone.

Teams didn't want a possible PR disaster.

Doesn't matter.  I was really for the Chiefs drafting Collins before he got into trouble and went berserk when they didn't even spend a 7th on him.  No risk, great possible reward.  Lots of other teams passed as well, but none more in need of quality O-linemen and the Chiefs will regret this folly for years to come.

Exactly. Who cares if he did not sign. Thats not the point. The point is KC could have taken some control. He may have signed rather than risk sitting a year.  risk a 7th round pick.Thats not much risk. Who was are 7th round picks the last few years?

He was never in trouble, just someone police wanted to talk to because he once dated the victim.

Teams got scared after all the domestic violence problems and the whole Hernandez thing.

I would of burnt a comp 3rd rounder if his party could assure me they were clean. If he ain't, deal is voided and player is gone.

Teams didn't want a possible PR disaster.

Who cares what other teams wanted to do or not do. Chiefs no courage!

. Who was are 7th round picks the last few years?

Succop and Hemingway are probably the only ones most could remember.  Maybe Page if you want to go back nine or ten years.  Actually, Page is an example of "wasting" a seventh to gain a possible upside.  In general, taking a chance with a seventh is no big deal.  That's what got me about Collins.  No risk for a probably starter?  GMs know their business much better than any of us, but like coaches, sometimes they out think themselves when the issue is obvious. 

Succop and Hemingway are probably the only ones most could remember. Maybe Page if you want to go back nine or ten years. Actually, Page is an example of "wasting" a seventh to gain a possible upside. In general, taking a chance with a seventh is no big deal. That's what got me about Collins. No risk for a probably starter? GMs know their business much better than any of us, but like coaches, sometimes they out think themselves when the issue is obvious.

When the news came out about his investigation, I was thinking, "yes, now maybe he will fall to us." But then he kept falling and then he got to the bluffs and if we didn't get them I wanted someone bad to get him (other than us).

Guest Okiechief1

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/15/lael-collins-nfl-draft-dallas-cowboys-murder-investigation

That's a pretty interesting read about the whole thing. We never had shot at him once he went undrafted. Some team texted his agent in the 7th and said they were gonna take him and his agent replied do you wanna get embarrassed. Thing is pretty much every NFL team was willing to take him as an udfa it wasn't just about the PR side of it if they were willing to have him at camp. Why the hell not spend a 7th and call their bluff. He probably wouldn't have stuck around after his initial deal cause we don't really meet the criteria he outlined but I still think a 7th would have been worth it to find out.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/15/lael-collins-nfl-draft-dallas-cowboys-murder-investigation

That's a pretty interesting read about the whole thing. We never had shot at him once he went undrafted. Some team texted his agent in the 7th and said they were gonna take him and his agent replied do you wanna get embarrassed. Thing is pretty much every NFL team was willing to take him as an udfa it wasn't just about the PR side of it if they were willing to have him at camp. Why the hell not spend a 7th and call their bluff. He probably wouldn't have stuck around after his initial deal cause we don't really meet the criteria he outlined but I still think a 7th would have been worth it to find out.

Exactly. No problem really  we Fanika. 

That's a pretty interesting read about the whole thing. We never had shot at him once he went undrafted.  

That's not the point.  He should have been drafted in the seventh and either played for the Chiefs or given up a year.  I'm guessing he would have played for the Chiefs and Stevenson would be on the bench.

That's not the point.  He should have been drafted in the seventh and either played for the Chiefs or given up a year.  I'm guessing he would have played for the Chiefs and Stevenson would be on the bench.

That would be my take. 

I have a feeling the Commish had the teams agree not to take him. Conspiratorial, but not without good reason. 

That would be my take. 

I have a feeling the Commish had the teams agree not to take him. Conspiratorial, but not without good reason. 

Considering that no one drafted a first round talent, you may be right.  If that's the case, then Collins would have one huge lawsuit considering he wasn't even charged with anything and the Commissioner black balled him.  Hard to believe.

I would have been more than willing to Burn one of our 3rds for him....was screaming at the TV the entire time for it....

Like someone said...NO risk, huge reward.  There would be no PR nightmare....the event happened BEFORE the player was drafted...its not like he was representing the team when the offense occurred...

Even if he was guilty and arrested....nobody would remember.  Ausar Walcott was a rookie with the Browns in 2013 and arrested for attempted murder.  I bet most people in here...who are rabid football fans don't even remember that...not to mention the casual fan...

And I don't know the circumstances...but if he would have been charged...I imagine in a case like this the comp pick awarded would be pretty close to what we gave up anyway...

just a poor move....by any team needing online....

Archived