Crow's 2016 Chiefs Mock 1

Already thinking ahead, given the Chiefs suck and all... Here's my initial thoughts. Probably will write up some commentary later.

1. QB Jared Goff - California
2. OT Jason Spriggs - Indiana
3. OG Landon Turner - North Carolina
4. RB Kenneth Dixon - Louisiana Tech
5. LB Josh Forrest - Kentucky
6. WR Hunter Sharp - Utah State
7. SS Michael Caputo - Wisconsin

Already thinking ahead, given the Chiefs suck and all... Here's my initial thoughts. Probably will write up some commentary later.

I'd like that draft. Because I think it addresses the needs as well as the future. I don't think we will be in position to draft these guys, but what is a fan to do in Week 6?

So, you think Goff is ready for Prime Time? If we take him with a Top Five pick in the first, I think he will be expected to play/start day one..

So, you think Goff is ready for Prime Time? If we take him with a Top Five pick in the first, I think he will be expected to play/start day one..

I bet they'd start with Smith and move to Goff later in the year if things shook out that way. They've been developing Murray, They developed Rodgers. Now, Smith is not Favre, so it won't be three years, but I could see some learning time - not learning from Smith per se, though he could mentor some things (not the negative parts) - just general NFL learning.

I mean, Buffalo started Cassel for one handoff and moved to Taylor, thus giving Cassel a win on his record and maintaining the "Cassel is our starter" statement.

Could he be any worse? I'm sure he can throw a WR screen. 

True. But so can Murray. Why not give Murray a shot to see if we really do need to take a shot on Rookie qb. Hell, I'm sure Murray can throw screens, and go through two progressions at a time.

Maybe they're waiting for us to be officially "mathematically" eliminated from playoff contention before they change qb's. Then again....

True. But so can Murray. Why not give Murray a shot to see if we really do need to take a shot on Rookie qb. Hell, I'm sure Murray can throw screens, and go through two progressions at a time.

Maybe they're waiting for us to be officially "mathematically" eliminated from playoff contention before they change qb's. Then again....

This is the best scenario. We have to know if he can handle it before next draft.

Agree.  Murray should have some snaps just to see how he reacts to game conditions and how the teams rallies around him.  Murray, Smith, or Goff won't be successful here until the line is fixed and better play calling starts happening, but the team could still evaluate the QBs.

It has to be a really bad season to post a mock this early. :)

If the Chiefs win a few games and Goff is gone would you settle for Cook in the first?

How about the OT from Mich. St.?  Conklin?

Would the Chiefs be better off with a "can't miss" OG in the second ahead of a "good prospect" OT?

Do you agree that first round OTs are in general over rated and good value can be found on the second day?

We'll be arguing about this in February.

First of all, I agree with Bstud in not giving Murray a shot to see what up? Murray, had he come out a year earlier without the knee injury in his Sr year would have been a 1st rounder by most experts, including Tony Dungy.

Secondly, it's far too easy to fire anyone including, especially head coaches. CONTINUITY has its upside. Andy knows the score at this point. I think AMurray will get his shot soon.

crow gives no fucks about Aaron Murray.

crow gives no fucks about Alex Smith.

crow wants Goff to start immediately.

crow sees a shallow guard class that offers value in mid rounds at this point.

crow sees deep tackle class that will offer some steals in round two.

crow does not value tackles more than guards, but the value is better for tackles earlier on.

crow will puke then go off the deep end if kc picks a tackle in round one instead of a QB.

crow likes Goff, Lynch, Cook, Hogan, Doughty in that order at this point, but Goff and Lynch are Jrs.

If the Chiefs can get a starting LT in the second round, then I would be perfectly happy with a QB in round one. Goff got beat a second game in a row. He was pressured all game, and did not respond perfectly. He may end up being the best QB in the draft. There are other options. Paxton Lynch is a player I plan on watching.

Paxton Lynch

6'7" 240 lbs athlete. Can make all the throws. Has touch on the pass, but also has a rocket. Threw a 66 yard completion in the air. Throws with ease. Smart, mobile, tough, and nimble. Nimble for a 6'7" guy with heft. Runs well. 

I have seen Cook. I have seen Goff. They suck compared to Lynch. It ain't close. Not close at all. If you haven't seen Lynch, you don't need to comment. The biggest thing about Lynch is his trajectory. He has improved every year. Red shirt junior. The coaches at Memphis are good too. They let Lynch make changes. They have confidence in his judgement. He is not as ready as Luck, but has a higher upside potential. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuItJx7OOQg

Memphis should have been blasted by Ole Miss. Memphis' top WR was a walk on, and had no major colleges offering him a scholarship.

I don't think you can draft multiple linemen and expect a good line.

The Chiefs will need to land at least one good vet.

You are correct that you cannot usually add more than one rookie to the starting OL. 

The Chiefs may lose both Jeff Allen and Donald Stephenson. Jah Reid is likely one and done for the Chiefs. Zach Fulton is on the bubble. I don't think he would be hard to replace. 

At least two players, and as many as four on the offensive line should not be on the team next year. I would be alright bringing in a vet, and a rookie. If they keep one, keep Allen. Let Stephenson go, and perhaps Fulton. 

Stephenson is a decent depth person, at league minimum. Allen, he played alright but I wouldn't hedge my bets on him staying healthy.

Fisher is best at RT, and I think they would be best served to find a LT in FA. Same with with LG...get a strong veteran left side.

Draft a Right Guard in early Day 3 and move on.

I think Beachum and Boone would make for a better left side.

Archived