Chiefs fans who want less of Alex Smith may get their wish — after 2016

Really? Because that would tell me they were giving up on this season.

Really? Because that would tell me that they're actually trying to win. But you would rather that they rolled the same old bullshit out there every week.

Insanity. Doing the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over again. And, expecting a different result.

Really? Because that would tell me that they're actually trying to win. But you would rather that they rolled the same old bullshit out there every week.

Insanity. Doing the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over again. And, expecting a different result.

Which brings us back to the start of this cyclical argument:

Is the offense running badly because the defense is digging a hole early, runningbacks are putting the ball on the ground, the offensive line is a sieve, or the quarterback is the main problem?

It doesn't mean someone is an Alex Smith fan if they argue that One, Two, and Three are bigger problems than Four. It just means that their eyes are open every play, and they aren't getting stuck on two bad plays by Smith in a given game. More than anything, the offensive line needs to play at a functional level. I don't know why anyone would think to excuse their play and point the finger elsewhere: They're bad from the start of the game to the finish. After that, it becomes much easier to isolate the cause of the Chiefs' persistent under-performance.

Alex Smith needs to retire. I am not a smith hater or a smith fan. But it's becoming obvious he's a real liability. Any time your qb doesn't cut it, it bleeds to the entire team.

Nah, he's a good guy with all his charity work, professionalism, etc. - if he isn't playing here, I'd like him to play for some NFC team.

Yes, I know, one could say they'd want him to play for the Broncos after Manning so we'd win the division... Har dee har har.

Nah, he's a good guy with all his charity work, professionalism, etc. - if he isn't playing here, I'd like him to play for some NFC team.

Yes, I know, one could say they'd want him to play for the Broncos after Manning so we'd win the division... Har dee har har.

At least Smith would have a defense. And multiple passing options. And almost everything he doesn't have in Kansas City, except for an offensive line. It's hard to believe that the Broncos are 6-0 when their quarterback has thrown more interceptions than their offense has scored touchdowns. What a difference a defense makes.

I have been a huge Smith fan since he was at SF, and I thought he would be great in Reids offense.  I was wrong.  I think he is part of the reason the OL looks as bad as it does.  If you put a watch to how long he holds onto the ball, I believe that it would be well and beyond what the top QB's do.  The line is still pretty young, for the most part, and I thought today they did a really good job.  Couple of screw-ups, but that happens to everyone.  I'm still not sold on Allen at RT, but I am curious as to how this lineup works out in the future.

I have been a huge Smith fan since he was at SF, and I thought he would be great in Reids offense. I was wrong. I think he is part of the reason the OL looks as bad as it does. If you put a watch to how long he holds onto the ball, I believe that it would be well and beyond what the top QB's do. The line is still pretty young, for the most part, and I thought today they did a really good job. Couple of screw-ups, but that happens to everyone. I'm still not sold on Allen at RT, but I am curious as to how this lineup works out in the future.

Smith is breaking in the line and the team for the next quarterback. He's taking the lumps while they gel. The only question is when they go to Murray or if they will sit next year's drafted QB a year or so. Smith hasn't had the team around him but he has had the time to do enough keep his job. I don't think he has despite how bad his line and receivers have been. If we had only lost to Cincinnati and Green Bay (5-2), I'd think next season was certain. He could still be replaced midseason in that situation, but he'd be the starter in the beginning.

Smith is breaking in the line and the team for the next quarterback. He's taking the lumps while they gel. The only question is when they go to Murray or if they will sit next year's drafted QB a year or so. Smith hasn't had the team around him but he has had the time to do enough keep his job. I don't think he has despite how bad his line and receivers have been. If we had only lost to Cincinnati and Green Bay (5-2), I'd think next season was certain. He could still be replaced midseason in that situation, but he'd be the starter in the beginning.

Are you sure thats the only question?

Are you sure thats the only question?

I mean, there is the question how that quarterback would do, but that's not really relevant to what I said. If there were any other questions, it would be on whether he would be here the duration of this whole contract. Do you think there's a question there?

I know you could say cynically that Reid loves him and Reid's not going anywhere so therefore Smith is there his whole contract, but I'm talking realistically. I know you can also say that there's a question whether we'll draft a quarterback, but I don't think there's a question there. Unless they feel Murray's the guy and then they could skip.

I mean, there is the question how that quarterback would do, but that's not really relevant to what I said. If there were any other questions, it would be on whether he would be here the duration of this whole contract. Do you think there's a question there?

I know you could say cynically that Reid loves him and Reid's not going anywhere so therefore Smith is there his whole contract, but I'm talking realistically. I know you can also say that there's a question whether we'll draft a quarterback, but I don't think there's a question there. Unless they feel Murray's the guy and then they could skip.

So may the issue is. There are hundreds of questions starting with WHY REID is still the Coach. REID GONE CHANGES EVERYTHING. REID STAYS and nothing will matter or change.

So may the issue is. There are hundreds of questions starting with WHY REID is still the Coach. REID GONE CHANGES EVERYTHING. REID STAYS and nothing will matter or change.

OK, I guess I meant to say that I wasn't talking about that being the only question with the team.

I touched on it earlier but, one of our biggest problems has been making Maclin the focal point of the offense. It's not a coincidence that he was out yesterday and we won. Andy has been forcing the ball to him all year. Even when we had Charles. 

The offense we ran yesterday was the offense we ran in 2013 and 2014.

• 9 months later...

The line is awful. How many times did Reid switch them around in the preseason? Stephenson sucks ass. Fisher should have been back at LT two weeks ago. Morse is awful. Was cutting Kush smart? What about the whole RG debacle. It is a horror show over there. What about Dorsey? He knew it was a mess and he didn't even call Mathis? We had the money to sign him. Mathis made since with the Reid connection. WTF? 

What about Reid's playcalling? Why has the offense changed so much since adding Maclin? Why does he insist on forcing the ball to him? Look at last week. Parker intercepts a pass and we get the ball on the five yard line. Reid calls two screens to Maclin and then throws a bomb. Seriously???? If we ran the offense we ran the last two years we would be better right now. Why can't we ever just line it up in the I-Form and run behind our ALL PRO FULL BACK? We did that quite a bit the last two years. Now Sherman barely sees the field. We rarely run between the tackles. Everything is out of the shotgun or pistol. Reid doesn't help the line at all. 

Alex is done. He's been hit too much and he is done caring. He got a couple of big contracts and is ready to cash it in. He doesn't have "heart" anymore. He can't make simple plays under pressure and he doesn't seem to want to. We would be better with Chase Daniel in there. 

Our secondary went from being ranked #1 to ranked #32. Why? Because we can't generate a pass rush. It is basically the same guys out there. 

Hali, DJ, and Devito have aged. Especially DJ. Keeping Alexander over JMJ was a huge mistake. JMJ could really run. We are missing that big time. Devito should have been benched for Howard a long time ago. He was awesome at DE last year. 

Berry has lost his thump. He's lost weight and he isn't the same player. We have no thump in the secondary. Parker never should have been starting at SS. He can barely tackle. Why was he starting there over Abdullah or Branch? He is fine in the nickel but, why did it take so long to figure that out? 

Losing Phillip Gaines was HUGE and highly underrated. 

Just a few random thoughts.... My point is that it's not just Alex. 

Great post. Especially the Andy Reid offense parts. Spot on.

:lol:

HOLY OLD THREADS BATMAN!!!!!!!!!!  Hindsight is 20/20, who wants to see less of Alex Smith NOW?????  I say he's a great QB for this offense, and the best we've had since TrINT.  Remember everyone bagging on him, and now he was one of the best we've ever had!!

It's amazing what having a legitimate wide receiver and a competent pass blocking line can do for a decent quarterback.

Alex Smith needed a year or two to clear his head after leaving San Fran. Most would have PTSD after being there, and going through what he went through. There were snippets of a masterful QB, even in SF. All this came to an end as Kaepernick took over following a bad hit/sack, and concussion. 

Alex Smith pretty much missed an entire season in 2008. He has played in 126 games. He fumbled the ball in half of them. He has been sacked 325 times for 1856 lost yards. For every Going into his 12th year, Alex Smith has been sacked once for every 6.8 times he has completed a pass. To put this in perspective, Brett Favre leads the lead in being sacked the most ever (525 times). Brett Favre was sacked a lot of times. Perhaps enough to own stock in smelling salts. Brett Favre was sacked one time for every 12 completions.

The all time leader in getting sacked, Brett Favre was sacked nearly half as many times per completion than ours, truly, Alex Smith. Alex Smith has been abused. Alex Smith has been sacked exactly the same amount of times (325) as the immobile, Philip Rivers. If Alex has an average season, he my well surpass, Jaws Jaworski, Craig Morton, Neil Lomax, Joe Theismann, Steve Young, Steve Bartkowski, Kerry Collins, Ken O'brien, and Steve Beuerlein. These are among those who were well famous for being blown up.

Clearly, the Chiefs need to do better. If you told me Alex Smith was going into his fourth year, and has been sacked 129 times in 46 games, I would have to be concerned for his health. The Chiefs did not support Alex nearly enough, and he had far too few weapons to throw to. Perhaps things will change this year. LDT looks close. Schwartz is among the best at RT. Morse was in the top 5 of all Centers in his rookie season. Fisher is much better. The only issue this year seems to be at LG. How much can that spot hurt? Don't ask.

Archived