Is it time for Kansas City Chiefs to play Dee Ford over Tamba Hali?

ThKansas City Chiefs are 1-5 on the season. They're not going to run the table on their 10 remaining games and finish the season 11-5. We know that the season, from a playoff perspective, is more or less over.

Tamba Hali is not likely to be part of this team next year but he continues to start at outside linebacker for the Chiefs. Dee Ford, who is more likely than Tamba to be on the roster next year, is not playing very much right now. The Chiefs continue to use mostly Tamba with a little Dee spiced in.

So at 1-5 should the Chiefs start playing Dee Ford over Tamba Hali?

It's a legitimate question and one folks are wondering. Tamba has clearly lost a step but does appear to be the better overall player than Ford right now, especially against the run. (Last week against Adrian Peterson, Tamba played every snap while Ford played just five snaps.) If you're trying to win games, you're picking Tamba over Ford for the bulk of the snaps, and that's what the Chiefs have been doing so far this season (and last year).

The argument is whether you should set aside the question of who is the better playerright now and look at who is going to help you in the future. That would more likely be Ford than Tamba given their age and contract situations. So the argument says you should be playing Ford right now to get him some meaningful reps for next year, and at least get something out of this season.

Without considering anything else, playing Ford over Tamba is the answer. But there's obviously more to it than that. How are you as a coaching staff going to look at Derrick Johnson and Justin Houston and the rest of the players busting their ass that they're going to be playing a lesser player at a position, that you're essentially giving up on the season six weeks in? That sets a horrible precedent for the rest of the players on the roster who will be with this same coaching staff next year. I just can't see how the Chiefs could throw the white flag this early in the season, even if it is effectively over with little shot of the playoffs.

There should be more Ford but

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/10/23/9602358/kansas-city-chiefs-to-play-dee-ford-over-tamba-hali

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tamba was the best player on defense in that Green Bay game. No way I'd start Ford over him yet. Maybe when we get to 8 losses? Houston has been very disappointing to me. I would give Ford a start over him and maybe it will light a fire under his ass. 

Not me. Houston has 4.5 sacks and 2 forced fumbles. He is the only LB providing any kind of rush. Hali is on pace for about 2 sacks on the year. Houston isn't what he was last year, but should end up with double digit sacks.

I think you just sit Hali and Ford.

Not me. Houston has 4.5 sacks and 2 forced fumbles. He is the only LB providing any kind of rush. Hali is on pace for about 2 sacks on the year. Houston isn't what he was last year, but should end up with double digit sacks.

I think you just sit Hali and Ford.

Did you watch the Vikings game? Phil Loadholt, their starting RT, is out for the season. He went up against a back up all day. He was one on one most of the day. He went one on one against Kyle Rudolph (their TE) several times too. Rudolph owned him. I had to rewind it and see it again. I couldn't believe my eyes. He should have been able to take over that game. All I know is he is nothing compared to DT. No one should ever mention him in that class again imo.

Did you watch the Vikings game? Phil Loadholt, their starting RT, is out for the season. He went up against a back up all day. He was one on one most of the day. He went one on one against Kyle Rudolph (their TE) several times too. Rudolph owned him. I had to rewind it and see it again. I couldn't believe my eyes. He should have been able to take over that game. All I know is he is nothing compared to DT. No one should ever mention him in that class again imo.

Houston leads the nfl in qb hits and hurries.

It's not just sacks people

The thing with Houston.  What team do you see winning consistently with that being the highest paid position??  Right now the chiefs and Texans have that on lock down and look where both teams are sitting.  Hell I can't think of any teams, throughout NFL's history, that had that as the highest paid position being a continual contender.

QB has to be the A NUMBER 1 priority, and where Most amount of your star power should be sitting.

This is a case where coaches play the players with their own interests in mind not the longer term development of the organization. Every coach plays with a win now attitude to save their ass. This has been going on for years. Hunt needs to step in.

Exactly. No way Reid admits that it is time to look toward next year.

I didn't get to see it. That sounds horrible.

Exactly. No way Reid admits that it is time to look toward next year.

Nor should he. Until we are mathematically out of it, his job is to win like he's not going to be here next year, unless he knows he will be there afterwards. In his first year, he had more of a leash. We shouldn't expect anyone to jeopardize their jobs unless it's an ethical/legal issue.

Only management and fans should give up before the elimination is made and when they do, I wish they could be open about it, but understand why they won't say it.

Now, if he's wrong and someone else would win, admit the mistakes.

Tamba was the best player on defense in that Green Bay game. No way I'd start Ford over him yet. Maybe when we get to 8 losses? Houston has been very disappointing to me. I would give Ford a start over him and maybe it will light a fire under his ass. 

Houston is disappointing because the defensive scheme don't let him use his best talents in too many critical downs plus Hali isn't near the threat from the other side any more.

Yeah houston is the problem. That's the take of a dumbass who has no clue what he's watching.

His sacks are down, yes.

Guess who else's sacks are down? Every fucking player in NFL history not named reggie white the season after they got 20 plus sacks.

Michael Strahan 2001 22.5 sacks*

Michael Strahan 2002 11 sacks

Mark Gastineau 1984 22 sacks

Mark Gastineau 1985 13.5 sacks

Jared Allen 2011 22 sacks

Jared Allen 2012 12 sacks

Chris Doleman 1989 21 sacks

Chris Doleman 1990 11 sacks

JJ Watt 2012 20.5 sacks

JJ Watt 2013 10 sacks

JJ Watt 2014 20.5 sacks

JJ Watt 2015 4 sacks so far, on pace for 9-10 sacks this year.

Lawrence Taylor 1986 20.5 sacks

Lawrence Taylor 1987 12 sacks

Demarcus Ware 2008 20 sacks

Demarcus Ware 2009 11 sacks

Oh and there was another guy... oh that's right...

Motherfucking Derrick Thomas 1990 20 sacks

Motherfucking Derrick Thomas 1991 13.5

*allegedly

Notice who's not on that list? Bums.

The ONLY guy that ever got close the year after was the minister of defense, who had 18 sacks the year after he got 21. But he's fucking reggie white and nobody else is. Well maybe jj watt... eventually.

Even DT, as awesome as he was, never even sniffed 20 again.

Houston currently leads the league in qb hurries and is 2.5 sacks behind the league leaders (6.5 sacks leads the league). He has twice as many hurries as watt (houston has 20, watt has 11, same as hali) and the same number of sacks, 4, as watt does.

Yeah but houston is the problem. Let's bench him! That'll show him!

Dumbass.

Yeah. Would like to see Ford get a game where he starts just to see if he has it or not. I haven't seen anything out of him that leads me to believe he can be the future at OLB, but it never hurts to make sure. I'd support waiting until about Week 11 or 12. I think Tamba, you just be straight with him. You tell him, look, we have to find out if this kid is going to be in our future or not so you're going to come in off the bench this week. No big deal.

Yeah. Would like to see Ford get a game where he starts just to see if he has it or not. I haven't seen anything out of him that leads me to believe he can be the future at OLB, but it never hurts to make sure. I'd support waiting until about Week 11 or 12. I think Tamba, you just be straight with him. You tell him, look, we have to find out if this kid is going to be in our future or not so you're going to come in off the bench this week. No big deal.

The sooner the better. But hell if it was up to me they'd be playing all the kids and get this trainwreck a rollin'.

Archived