Game thread!

Why do we have to have a transition between Smith and the new QB? People talk about grooming a QB. He's not going to learn anything from Smith. Put the new guy in immediately and start building around him.

Yeah, I just said what I wanted. I thought that Kaepernick benefitted from Smith being professional. I suppose if Smith is cut or traded we don't need a transition. I just don't like animosity, just competition and winning. If one beats out Smith while we are winning, that's the best.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I just said what I wanted. I thought that Kaepernick benefitted from Smith being professional. I suppose if Smith is cut or traded we don't need a transition. I just don't like animosity, just competition and winning. If one beats out Smith while we are winning, that's the best.

Don't get me wrong, I think Smith is a good person. Winning is bottom line. I feel no animosity toward Smith, I feel animosity toward Dorsey and Reid for trading and spending for a mediocre, cast off QB. Smith is just taking what he can get. Can't blame a guy for that.

Why do we have to have a transition between Smith and the new QB? People talk about grooming a QB. He's not going to learn anything from Smith. Put the new guy in immediately and start building around him.

Isn't it funny how Colin Kaepernick's game started showing major signs of the hiccups as soon as Alex Smith was gone? Two years removed from Smith's mentoring, Kaepernick's committed six turnovers in the past seven games, while his entire offense has managed only ten touchdowns. Terrible.

Everyone will pick and choose which correlatives matter, and they'll most often blame the 49ers' offensive line and coaching (and even the 49ers' owner) for Kaepernick's struggles, but Kaepernick hasn't been the same since Smith left San Francisco, sans the Packernick games. Did Smith's mentoring matter? Yes.

Isn't it funny how Colin Kaepernick's game started showing major signs of the hiccups as soon as Alex Smith was gone? Two years removed from Smith's mentoring, Kaepernick's committed six turnovers in the past seven games, while his entire offense has managed only ten touchdowns. Terrible.

Everyone will pick and choose which correlatives matter, and they'll most often blame the 49ers' offensive line and coaching (and even the 49ers' owner) for Kaepernick's struggles, but Kaepernick hasn't been the same since Smith left San Francisco, sans the Packernick games. Did Smith's mentoring matter? Yes.

How much mentoring goes on? How do you know smith mentored?

Farve didn't mentor Rodgers.

I personally don't think this mentoring happens.

How much mentoring goes on? How do you know smith mentored?

Farve didn't mentor Rodgers.

I personally don't think this mentoring happens.

Then you are positively cynical. In 2014, Smith was credited for mentoring Kaepernick by Kaepernick himself: "I don't think I would be at this point so quickly if [Alex Smith] hadn't been such a great mentor to me and helped me along with things".

Why is everyone saying negative things about Smith 'telling the truth', while everyone saying positive things about Smith 'lying'?

Then you are positively cynical. In 2014, Smith was credited for mentoring Kaepernick by Kaepernick himself: "I don't think I would be at this point so quickly if [Alex Smith] hadn't been such a great mentor to me and helped me along with things".

Why is everyone saying negative things about Smith 'telling the truth', while everyone saying positive things about Smith 'lying'?

That's very cool. I've never knocked Alex smith the man. I like Alex. That's special because I don't think mentoring qb's happens much. Good on Alex.

Then you are positively cynical. In 2014, Smith was credited for mentoring Kaepernick by Kaepernick himself: "I don't think I would be at this point so quickly if [Alex Smith] hadn't been such a great mentor to me and helped me along with things".

PhataLerror you are either Alex Smith, his wife, a sibling or a parent. Time to come clean. Nobody could defend another person, especially someone you don't know like this. It's phenomenal. He should be proud to have a family member willing to defend him in any situation.  ;)  ;)  ;)

That's very cool. I've never knocked Alex smith the man. I like Alex. That's special because I don't think mentoring qb's happens much. Good on Alex.

No one knocks Alex Smith, the man. When he got demoted only two games separated from the NFC Player of the Week award against one of the NFL's top defenses to that point in 2012 and at the same time nearly set an all-time record for completion percentage in a single game, he did what any player confident in his own abilities would do: Do what you can at the moment to make your team better.

That being said, the opinion around the league concerning Smith is very different than the opinion around the fan base, and it's not limited to what Smith does while he's on the bench. Certain pundits knock Smith for his less-than-top-tier arm strength, but no one can knock Smith for extremely important quarterbacking fundamentals like situational awareness, decision-making, tenacity, mental toughness, etc. When he's not thoroughly beat up by opposing defenses, a death sentence for nearly any quarterback on a game-to-game basis, he's got solid throwing accuracy to go along with excellent mobility. The Chiefs are not 2-5 because of their quarterback. He hasn't been perfect, but who would be behind the offensive line that has showed up between weeks one and six? All five of the league's remaining undefeated teams after six games boast top-nine defenses in points allowed, and all but the Patriots boast offensive lines that have allowed two or fewer sacks per game. If the Chiefs' defense and offensive line follow up their week seven effort with more top-ten type performances rather than bottom-ten type performances, the Chiefs' win/loss ratio will rise, and you will see Alex Smith playing up to or above your expectations.

PhataLerror you are either Alex Smith, his wife, a sibling or a parent. Time to come clean. Nobody could defend another person, especially someone you don't know like this. It's phenomenal. He should be proud to have a family member willing to defend him in any situation.  ;)  ;)  ;)

There's no relationship between myself and Smith or any member of his family. I simply hate being held up as the figurehead of the 'losing side' of an argument in which I have been represented as claiming things I've never claimed, and where my position is attacked on less than even terms. I'm defending myself, not Smith.

No one knocks Alex Smith, the man. When he got demoted only two games separated from the NFC Player of the Week award against one of the NFL's top defenses to that point in 2012 and at the same time nearly set an all-time record for completion percentage in a single game, he did what any player confident in his own abilities would do: Do what you can at the moment to make your team better.

That being said, the opinion around the league concerning Smith is very different than the opinion around the fan base, and it's not limited to what Smith does while he's on the bench. Certain pundits knock Smith for his less-than-top-tier arm strength, but no one can knock Smith for extremely important quarterbacking fundamentals like situational awareness, decision-making, tenacity, mental toughness, etc. When he's not thoroughly beat up by opposing defenses, a death sentence for nearly any quarterback on a game-to-game basis, he's got solid throwing accuracy to go along with excellent mobility. The Chiefs are not 2-5 because of their quarterback. He hasn't been perfect, but who would be behind the offensive line that has showed up between weeks one and six? All five of the league's remaining undefeated teams after six games boast top-nine defenses in points allowed, and all but the Patriots boast offensive lines that have allowed two or fewer sacks per game. If the Chiefs' defense and offensive line follow up their week seven effort with more top-ten type performances rather than bottom-ten type performances, the Chiefs' win/loss ratio will rise, and you will see Alex Smith playing up to or above your expectations.

I feel we would be 5-2 if the oline, defense, or QB played better. Simply not fumbling could have been 4-3 or 5-2. Different degrees, as I saw Smith throw some really bad throws that didn't seem like him just avoiding an INT. Better line and defense, Rodgers would be 7-0, but 5-2 isn't a stretch with Smith and better defense (like the Bears game sans last quarter) OR (not and) OL playing like the Steelers game.

I know, ifs and buts, but people act like we are an 0-7 team lucky to be 2-5.

I don't know how Alex Smith can possibly be defended against missing, rather not seeing, wide open targets. It isn't the offensive line's fault when the guy is so locked onto 1 or 2 targets that he fails to see the other 3 running wide open. It has happened so frequently my head spins. Alex Smith has actually went into reverse development in my opinion. He's throwing into tighter coverage than ever just to force the ball to his locked on target rather than throwing the ball to wide open players. It is inexcusable. A large part of the failure of this offense in 2015 is on Alex Smith and nobody else. This is a reason I defended Andy Reid's play calling to a large extent. This is a reason I don't believe its all about the offensive line. I've watched, with my own two eyes, the failure that is Alex Smith. He is not even a remotely good QB. Alex Smith is doing things this year I expect a rookie to do, not a veteran of his tenure. It's been a 3 year regression.

Alex has sucked but the biggest problem has been the play calling imo. We have forced the ball to Maclin all year and it's no coincidence we won while he was out imo. He is a great player and this is not his fault. This is Reid's fault for a lack of creativity and beating a dead horse. It is obvious that Alex is better when he is not forcing the ball to Maclin. What we saw yesterday was the offense he ran in KC the last two years. 

On a side note, I think Alex is done and his heart is no longer in it. However, he can still win if Reid put's him in position to. 

Alex has sucked but the biggest problem has been the play calling imo. We have forced the ball to Maclin all year and it's no coincidence we won while he was out imo. He is a great player and this is not his fault. This is Reid's fault for a lack of creativity and beating a dead horse. It is obvious that Alex is better when he is not forcing the ball to Maclin. What we saw yesterday was the offense he ran in KC the last two years. 

On a side note, I think Alex is done and his heart is no longer in it. However, he can still win if Reid put's him in position to. 

Hollllllllllllldddd up a fucking second here Mugs. Was Andy Reid throwing the football to Maclin? Were there no other targets on the field? Give me a fucking break about the play calling here. Go back and rewatch the games if you can (I can't) and you tell me how many times Alex forced balls to Maclin or Kelce when there were wide open targets all over the field. I saw them many, many times during the games. This isn't Andy Reid's play calling man. Andy Reid didn't change his offense because Jeremy Maclin was out, I can tell you that. Alex has been zeroing in on his primary targets all season. It didn't really change with Maclin out. His reads went to Kelce and Conley primarily. This isn't rocket surgery. This is on the QB. The offense didn't magically open up and become The Greatest Show On Turf last Sunday.

Hollllllllllllldddd up a fucking second here Mugs. Was Andy Reid throwing the football to Maclin? Were there no other targets on the field? Give me a fucking break about the play calling here. Go back and rewatch the games if you can (I can't) and you tell me how many times Alex forced balls to Maclin or Kelce when there were wide open targets all over the field. I saw them many, many times during the games. This isn't Andy Reid's play calling man. Andy Reid didn't change his offense because Jeremy Maclin was out, I can tell you that. Alex has been zeroing in on his primary targets all season. It didn't really change with Maclin out. His reads went to Kelce and Conley primarily. This isn't rocket surgery. This is on the QB. The offense didn't magically open up and become The Greatest Show On Turf last Sunday.

Go back and watch the Minnesota game. Look at the first drive for example. Minnesota drives down the field and Parker intercepts it. We get the ball at our own five yard line. The first play is a screen out of the pistol. The second play is a screen to Maclin out of the shotgun. The third play we throw it deep to Maclin out of the shotgun. WTF is Reid thinking? 

I agree that Alex is not good but, part of it is the play calling. What happened to lining it up in the i-form and running between the tackles every once in a while? What happened to running behind our ALL PRO fullback? Why does every running play have to be out of the shotgun or pistol? Reid is definitely forcing the ball to Maclin. I hope he stops. We are better when we put Alex in a position to succeed.  

When I was a San Francisco fan, I used to criticize Mike Singletary for his predictable play calling:

First Down: Run for a negligible gain

Second Down: Run for a negligible gain

Third Down: Pass against a sell-out-against-the-pass defense that knew the 49ers had no real receiving options and very poor pass protection

49ers fans used to gripe about Smith then as well. Then Harbaugh came in with coordinators that cleaned up the play calling, and suddenly Smith was quarterbacking for a 13-3 playoff team with approximately the same degree of talent. Smith was the same quarterback, but better play calling kept down and distance manageable, especially in tough games.

The good news?: With a better offensive line, the screen passes actually work better. If it's easy to sack the quarterback when all five linemen are standing between quarterback and defender, why would the pass-rushing defenders not commit to stopping the screen when they know that the other side of the pass rush is going to get to the quarterback if he doesn't throw it away?

I've said it all along..

fix the offensive line..you fix the quarterback.

I have to add that to fix the oline, you also need the QB to trust it. If he doesn't, he's going to play like he doesn't have it, even if he does.

Having said that, I know that Smith has his own problems unrelated to the line or belief in the line.

I have to add that to fix the oline, you also need the QB to trust it. If he doesn't, he's going to play like he doesn't have it, even if he does.

If the Chiefs really fix the line, they'll fix his clock. If they fix his clock, they'll fix his mechanics and his pocket sense. Fix those, and he'll go three or four reads deep into his progressions on a regular basis, and he'll complete passes short and deep, and both with accuracy.

This is all assuming that getting a lacerated spleen hasn't affected Smith's psyche more seriously than his past injuries did.

Archived