At 2-5, Are the Chiefs Practically Eliminated From Post-season Contention?

Without Jeremy Maclin or Jamaal Charles active, the Chiefs' offense did manage to put 23 points on the board in a game they should have won.

Remaining on the season are the following:

vs. Lions (in Europe)

Bye

@ Denver

@ San Diego

vs. Bills

@ Oakland

vs. Chargers

@ Baltimore

vs. Browns

vs. Raiders

If the Colts don't manage a comeback against the Saints, the No. Six Playoff Seed in the AFC will be a losing team. Without other tie-breaking considerations, the Chiefs would be a game out of a sixth-place record.

Can this team turn things around, and possibly make the playoffs with a 10-6 or 9-7 record?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BIG WIN...... IN A MEANINGLESS GAME AGAINST A THIRD STRING QB. TYPICAL CHIEFS TYPICAL REID

Wow, what's it like to go through fanship disrespecting your team when they win? "Meaningless"? The game wasn't meaningless to any of the Steelers, who are still the AFC's No. Five seed.

No Maclin, no Charles, and all you can do is diminish the win by claiming that starting a backup quarterback decided everything on its own? Even when the Steelers gave up turnovers, the offense had to earn its points.

The Chiefs were better than 50% on third down conversions. They were good on some other benchmarks as well.

Wow, what's it like to go through fanship disrespecting your team when they win? "Meaningless"? The game wasn't meaningless to any of the Steelers, who are still the AFC's No. Five seed.

No Maclin, no Charles, and all you can do is diminish the win by claiming that starting a backup quarterback decided everything on its own? Even when the Steelers gave up turnovers, the offense had to earn its points.

The Chiefs were better than 50% on third down conversions. They were good on some other benchmarks as well.

You are correct. Not meaningless for Pitts.

It's gonna be real painful reality when the raiders destroy us we go 0-6 vs. the division.

Right now the only hope the Chiefs have is winning out vs the division. Sure looks like you are right on with 0-6 though the way the rest of the West is playing in comparison to KC.

Guest Okiechief1

Beat Detroit keep it close against Denver then win a couple here n there to keep us right around .500 and only one game away from that 6th playoff spot and finally only missing it by game.

Then spend the off season going if we only had Charles we would have made the playoffs then have the Chiefs tell us how close we are to being a SB contender.

Beat Detroit keep it close against Denver then win a couple here n there to keep us right around .500 and only one game away from that 6th playoff spot and finally only missing it by game.

Then spend the off season going if we only had Charles we would have made the playoffs then have the Chiefs tell us how close we are to being a SB contender.

Sounds good, what's the problem? ;)

I like thing you have to assume we are eliminated. But you just don't know in this league. I am just happy to see some better football. Great effort by the whole team. I will take this every week. We dropped a lot of passes or the game would have been even better.

Get some wins and the playoff thing will take care of itself.

I like thing you have to assume we are eliminated. But you just don't know in this league. I am just happy to see some better football. Great effort by the whole team. I will take this every week. We dropped a lot of passes or the game would have been even better.

Get some wins and the playoff thing will take care of itself.

I agree

Guest Chieftain

I remember looking this up and there has only been one team to go to the playoffs after starting 1 and 5 in the Super Bowl era. It was the 1970 Cincinnati Bengals, so the odds are probably 1000 to 1 of making the playoffs, but there's a chance.

image.png

I have to agree. The playoffs are a long ways from consideration at this point. 

Good things happened though

1. Charcandrick West played well 

2. Jeff Allen played RT, Fisher went to LT, and LDT got a shot at RG again. This time, they did alright against a decent defense. Its a start.

3. Albert Wilson and Christ Conley combined for 9 catches for 134 yards. 

4. Tamba Hali showed up

5. Despite a ridiculously stupid effort by the refs, it didn't matter. The Chiefs won despite their crap. ("rook, you don't get that call" means you attempted to throw the game. -see the obvious missed push off against Peters).

Finally... 6. They won at Arrowhead, and a Todd Haley team did not. 

Phatal, what do you think the outcome would have been if Big Ben was in? Hell, what if Vick was in? Chiefs get destroyed, I guarantee it.

If the Steelers get Roethlisberger, do the Chiefs get Charles?

The Steelers had Bell and Brown. The Chiefs had Smith and Kelce. That seems pretty even to me.

The Chiefs are a team still trying to figure out who their starting five offensive linemen are. It's not surprising to me that the offense has been halting throughout the first several weeks. Now the Chiefs have one game left to go against a 1-6 Lions team on neutral ground before the bye week. Then they come out rested against a Broncos team that will be slightly less rested. After that, their remaining opponents have as of today a combined record of 16-30 (.348).

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that the Chiefs could go on a run. It's just something to think about throughout the upcoming week.

If the Steelers get Roethlisberger, do the Chiefs get Charles?

The Steelers had Bell and Brown. The Chiefs had Smith and Kelce. That seems pretty even to me.

The Chiefs are a team still trying to figure out who their starting five offensive linemen are. It's not surprising to me that the offense has been halting throughout the first several weeks. Now the Chiefs have one game left to go against a 1-6 Lions team on neutral ground before the bye week. Then they come out rested against a Broncos team that will be slightly less rested. After that, their remaining opponents have as of today a combined record of 16-30 (.348).

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that the Chiefs could go on a run. It's just something to think about throughout the upcoming week.

You are smoking a serious brand of crack if you somehow think Charles would be more of a difference in the game than Big Ben. The rest of what you have to say, yeah there's a legitimate chance the Chiefs win a few games.

You are smoking a serious brand of crack if you somehow think Charles would be more of a difference in the game than Big Ben. The rest of what you have to say, yeah there's a legitimate chance the Chiefs win a few games.

That was not my point.

As a rule, the drop-off between an RB1 and an RB2 is a lot less than the drop-off between the QB1 and QB2. The Steelers were missing players as were the Chiefs. Ben Roethlisberger is no slouch, but the Steelers are winless in 2015 in games where the opponent scored more than 20 points. Ben Roethlisberger and Mike Vick are both 1-1 on the year in games they started and finished. It takes more than a quarterback to win a game, which is why it is so annoying to me that when things aren't going well in Kansas City, everyone jumps on Alex Smith. He's the least of this team's problems.

The important thing is that the Chiefs didn't play down to the level of their opposition.

Remember when the Chiefs were 9-0? That's this year's Donkeys. They are set up for a big fall. They've barely beaten some bad teams.

In 2013, Alex Smith's Chiefs' offense managed 117 points over their first six games. Smith committed only three turnovers in those games.

In 2015, Peyton Manning's Broncos' offense has managed 111 points over six games in spite of Manning's 10 turnovers, including 3 defensive touchdowns given up.

Which quarterback played better against bad teams/teams that shot themselves in the foot. Which quarterback needed more help from his defense and special teams?

Does anyone really recognize how different the narrative for 2015 would be if Jamaal Charles doesn't give up a defensive score right after the Chiefs' defense allowed the Broncos to tie the game late after holding as much as a 14 point lead early in the game?

Archived