At 2-5, Are the Chiefs Practically Eliminated From Post-season Contention?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being realistic then, this team lacks the resiliency, synergy, and maturation to go on a winning streak that would propel them into the playoffs. KC finds more innovative ways to lose games they should win every year. It's truly part of the Chiefs' culture at this point, and the culture won't change until the front office and possibly ownership changes. Chiefs ownership can continue to make money even if KC never wins another playoff game again. Fandom is ingrained into the community and even the worst teams in the league still turn a profit year after year... even if a failing product is put on the field.  

Being realistic then, this team lacks the resiliency, synergy, and maturation to go on a winning streak that would propel them into the playoffs. KC finds more innovative ways to lose games they should win every year. It's truly part of the Chiefs' culture at this point, and the culture won't change until the front office and possibly ownership changes. Chiefs ownership can continue to make money even if KC never wins another playoff game again. Fandom is ingrained into the community and even the worst teams in the league still turn a profit year after year... even if a failing product is put on the field.  

Exactly

Every year there are games you lose that you should win and games you win that you should lose. 

Last year we lost to the Raiders and Cardinals (w/ their back up QB starting) and should have won both. 

However, we beat the Patriots and Seahawks probably should have lost both.

This year we lost to the Bears and Viking and should have won both. Hopefully, we are done losing games we should win.

I think we'll beat the Broncos in Denver. We are due. 

I am not throwing in the towel just yet. 

Every year there are games you lose that you should win and games you win that you should lose.

Last year we lost to the Raiders and Cardinals (w/ their back up QB starting) and should have won both.

However, we beat the Patriots and Seahawks probably should have lost both.

This year we lost to the Bears and Viking and should have won both. Hopefully, we are done losing games we should win.

I think we'll beat the Broncos in Denver. We are due.

I am not throwing in the towel just yet.

Even though it was at home, I expected the Steelers to be a loss and the Baltimore game. We beat their backup and hopefully we can beat the Ravens. That would make up for the should have been Bears game and the 50/50 road game to the Vikings and then-inconsistent Bengals (talking preseason predictions not reality). This Broncos game has to make up for the Denver home loss.

I would be very happy if the Chiefs could win at Denver. I would be surprised, but I would be happy. It seems Denver is getting better, and they are playing at home, where they are almost unbeatable. 

The key for the Chiefs is not one game. The key is the season. It seemed to me the Chiefs were a bit of fools gold, but they weren't as bad as their slide. The issues that came after the loss were the Broncos provided a road map on how to beat the Chiefs, and the Chiefs folded due to the loss. Not every player folded, but enough that the team eventually lost a home game to a very bad Chicago Bears team at Arrowhead. That game is the equivalent of the loss to the Titans at Arrowhead, a few years back. 

The Chiefs can salvage their season whether they win at Denver or not. If they lose two or three games after the Denver game, it really will not matter what they did at that game. The Chiefs cannot catch Denver. They  will lose, eventually, because Denver is not a complete team. They will not lose six games this year. They may not lose but one or two before the playoffs. So, it is a good thing the Chiefs still have a shot at a wildcard entry. 

Oakland should be a 500 team this year. They will lose games. If the Chiefs can beat the Raiders, the Chargers, and two or three other teams, then they have a very good shot at a WC spot. If you look at the standings, there are division leading teams, there are teams battling around the 500 mark, and there are some bad teams. This year is setting up for a 9-7 team to get into the playoffs. It is therefore still hopeful for the Chiefs. However, the Chiefs have to quit looking ahead, and quit looking back. The Denver loss at home was bad. Get over it. If the Chiefs lose another heartbreaking game to Denver at Mile High, it will be heartbreaking. Get over it. The Chiefs need only to look back long enough to learn their lesson, and apply the Marty rule. 

Right now, the fans should not even be speaking about playoffs. This team, the Chiefs, did not deserve such attention after their five game slide. They got a reprieve against Pittsburgh and after Detroit. If they continue winning one game at a time, then we can talk in about four weeks. For now, just go out there and play good football. The fans of KC deserve it. 

The key for the Chiefs is not one game. The key is the season. It seemed to me the Chiefs were a bit of fools gold, but they weren't as bad as their slide. The issues that came after the loss were the Broncos provided a road map on how to beat the Chiefs, and the Chiefs folded due to the loss. 

I'm waiting to see a Keys to the Game that suggests that Team X can win if among other things:

• They can force five turnovers

I'm not sure that the Broncos provided any road map. They proved that the offensive line was as bad as Chiefs' fans feared, but the Chiefs as a team outplayed the Broncos. The game can be boiled down to at least three completely avoidable lost possessions that resulted in a lost field goal opportunity, lost opportunity to run the clock, and seven points given up. Three individual errors (not including the interceptions, which included a cascade sequence of failures) absolutely altered what had become the most likely outcome of the game.

IF the Chiefs can win in Denver, then I might start considering a possibility they can get above .500.

I would like to see them beat Denver. My measure is not Denver. When they get above .500, maybe then we can talk playoffs. They can still get to the playoffs without beating Denver. They can still fail to make the playoffs if they only beat Denver. 

I would like to see them beat Denver. My measure is not Denver. When they get above .500, maybe then we can talk playoffs. They can still get to the playoffs without beating Denver. They can still fail to make the playoffs if they only beat Denver. 

While it is true that they can make the playoffs without beating Denver, my measure is Denver. If the Chiefs can't beat a good team, they don't deserve the playoffs. If they can't show they can win on the road in a hostile environment, they don't deserve the playoffs. We all know KC won't be playing a home game if they somehow make the playoffs. We all know they'd likely be playing the #3 seed if they make the playoffs. If they can't beat Denver on the road, I really don't think they have what it takes. If the Chiefs don't win in Denver then they still have 3 road games to play while sitting at 3-6, making the chances of going .500 very slim.

It's a game against a division opponent throw the records out the window. The Chiefs could win!

It's against Peyton Manning whom the Chiefs have only ever beat once. Chiefs will lose!

Ware and Talib are out. Chiefs could win!

Denvers defense is bad ass. So deep with good players losing talib and ware won't matter much. Chiefs will lose.

I have no idea on this one.

Chiefs are not under pressure or expected to win. So Andy, never win when it matters, may actually put together a game plan that wins. The media will say it was a trap game for Denver. Andy will of course lose future needed pressure games...... but at least we can say we beat Manning.

Chiefs are not going anywhere this season regardless of win or loss.

Until Reid is gone Chiefs will be average at best.

Wouldn't surprise me if KC won this game... They are playing pretty well right now and Denver just suffered an emotional loss where they melted down at the end of the game.

It's a divisional game, anything can happen.

It would surprise me.

The Broncos have a legit defense. the Chiefs were a mirage.  If anything this Broncos team resembles the Tampa team that won a Super Bowl with Brad Johnson.

This post was a few weeks ago so I could understand you thinking that, but right now I wouldn't agree.  I still probably wouldn't have agreed back then, because I would still take a older Manning over Brad Johnson.   I think the Boncos have better corners, but  I think that 2002 Bucs team had a much better overall defense collectively. 

The Broncos have a legit defense however, no doubt.

Archived