At 2-5, Are the Chiefs Practically Eliminated From Post-season Contention?

From 2-5 to 4-5 in just three weeks. The bye seems to have come at the right time. With seven games left to play, does the post-season picture in Kansas City look a little rosier?

The Steelers got a win in Cleveland today and improved to 6-4, while on Thursday the Jets dropped their game against the Bills, and now the Chiefs are only one game out of the sixth seed behind both the Bills and the Jets, and one-and-a-half games out of the fifth seed behind the Steelers, over whom they have the head-to-head tie-breaker.

The Jets do not have a game against the Chiefs this year, and there is a highly improbable scenario wherein the Chiefs win out and still don't reach the post-season because the Jets win out, the Steelers win out, the Broncos win five of their last seven, the Bengals win four of their last eight, and the Patriots win three of their last seven. On the other hand, a first-week bye is almost certainly out of reach for the Chiefs.

In the middle you have a slate that includes seven more games against only AFC teams, with four of those games against the Raiders and the Chargers. As of today, the Chiefs' remaining Strength of Schedule is 21-43. I'm still wary about a 10-6 finish actually securing a post-season berth in the AFC in 2015, but a winning-out 11-5 would almost certainly earn the Chiefs a Wild Card Playoff berth. The Jets have a relatively easy schedule ahead of them that ends with a two-game finish against the Patriots and then in Buffalo. The Steelers will get a week's rest before a brutal four-game stretch beginning with a game in Seattle, then hosting the Colts, traveling to Cincinnati, and then finally hosting the Broncos. Life isn't much easier for the now seemingly vulnerable Broncos, as they urgently need to break a two-week skid going into Chicago to face a hot Bears team, and then after that managing the remaining schedule that includes the Patriots, divisional games in San Diego and against the Raiders, a game in Pittsburgh, and a game against the Bengals.

I'm going to up the ante here: At 4-5, Are the Chiefs Able to Take the AFC West?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to up the ante here: At 4-5, Are the Chiefs Able to Take the AFC West?

Very unlikely.  They'd have to win nine out of ten after the 1-5 start to finish 10-6 and that's about the worst we can expect from the Donks.  The Chiefs lost three very winnable games during their five game losing streak and that's just too much to overcome.

However, ELO has the Chiefs at about 56% chance of making the playoffs mainly because they are favorites in every game they have remaining.  That certainly doesn't mean they'll win out.  There are always a few Bears game like performances, but there's reason to hope.  Did anyone think the Chiefs could lose Charles for the season, lose the Bears and Vikes games, and still have a shot at a playoff spot?

Sunday, November 23rd, the Bills play at New England. Following this game, it is possible there will be 7 teams with a 5-5 record. Pittsburgh has a bye week, and their record will remain at 6-4. Miami, Buffalo, New York Jets, Oakland, Indianapolis, Houston, and Kansas City may be tied with a even record of wins and losses. If that happens, the tie breaker goes to the team with the best win loss conference percentage. That would go to Miami. Pittsburgh would be the first wild card, and Miami would be the second. The runner up would be Kansas City. If NYJ, BUF, and MIA lose their games, then Kansas City would be in the second wild card spot. 

This thing turned around quick. IF the Chiefs win next Sunday (against San Diego following their bye week), then the Chiefs could be either in the lead for a wild card spot or very close behind. 

The key is not what the other teams do. The key is what the Chiefs do. San Diego will be rested, coming back from a bye week. KC has to take care of business. No let up. 

This is our trap game. I don't like it. The Chiefs are the poster child for never taking care of business

Yep. So many different factors over the years.

Bad defense, bad offense, coaching, and mediocre qb play, lack of ability to come back from being down.

This is the worst charger team I've seen in a long time. That being said, it's a trap.

Alex needs to find his sack again, and push the ball downfield.

This is our trap game. I don't like it. The Chiefs are the poster child for never taking care of business

This will be a tough game. There is no doubt about it. The Chargers are coming off the bye and it is in San Diego. It doesn't have to be pretty. We just need to come out with a win. 

Yep. So many different factors over the years.

Bad defense, bad offense, coaching, and mediocre qb play, lack of ability to come back from being down.

This is the worst charger team I've seen in a long time. That being said, it's a trap.

Alex needs to find his sack again, and push the ball downfield.

This will be a tough game. There is no doubt about it. The Chargers are coming off the bye and it is in San Diego. It doesn't have to be pretty. We just need to come out with a win. 

My concern is that the Chiefs swept them last year. They will be ready to play the Chiefs hard. I want the Chiefs to just keep on beating them down no matter what. The Chargers had a good run over the devision for a few years but have fallen off. 

• 2 weeks later...

From 2-5 to 6-5:

Lions

Broncos

Chargers

Bills

Next up:

Raiders (Oakland)

Chargers

Ravens (Baltimore)

Browns

Raiders

For the next several days, we will await word on the health of the Chiefs' players, especially on the offensive line. Who will the Chiefs field on their offensive line if some or all of Eric Fisher, Ben Grubbs, Jeff Allen, and Mitch Morse can't play next week? Remember when the 2013 Chiefs were very healthy throughout the year? This year has not been like that year.

Hopefully, the Chiefs can heal up and be ready for this next weekend. For now, 6-5 is so much better than what some here expected from the team only five weeks ago.

After 11 weeks of football, the Chiefs rank 3rd in the AFC in both Points For and Net Points (5th for both in the NFL).

The Chiefs have accumulated this on a 71-50 (.587) strength of schedule. They have a 33-33 (.500) strength of victory. Their strength of defeat was 38-17 (.691). Their only loss to a losing team came against the Bears (the game in which Jamaal Charles was lost for the season). Three of their wins came against teams with winning records. 

It looks like this team is blossoming late in the season. They're finding ways to win must-win matchups, and they hold numerous wild card tie-breakers. They've overcome injury and adversity to become a team that looks like it can contend with most teams on Sunday. Of the remaining teams on their schedule, none of them have a winning record on the season, and their combined record during the last five weeks is 5-15 (.250).

After 11 weeks of football, the Chiefs rank 3rd in the AFC in both Points For and Net Points (5th for both in the NFL).

The Chiefs have accumulated this on a 71-50 (.587) strength of schedule. They have a 33-33 (.500) strength of victory. Their strength of defeat was 38-17 (.691). Their only loss to a losing team came against the Bears (the game in which Jamaal Charles was lost for the season). Three of their wins came against teams with winning records. 

It looks like this team is blossoming late in the season. They're finding ways to win must-win matchups, and they hold numerous wild card tie-breakers. They've overcome injury and adversity to become a team that looks like it can contend with most teams on Sunday. Of the remaining teams on their schedule, none of them have a winning record on the season, and their combined record during the last five weeks is 5-15 (.250).

Good points, but the Chiefs have been lucky to catch PIT with their QB out and DEN2 with a QB too stubborn to sit out his injured foot.  Doesn't take away from what the Chiefs have accomplished, but there's reasons for the data above.

Brock is a significant upgrade for the Broncs. They would be crazy to ride Peyton for the playoffs IMO.

I hope they do because he either loses, or he wins an we get less talk about Osweiller having made it. I'd rather bleed that turnip and take the results, whatever they are. Osweiller could come in and lose in the playoffs and it would still bug me more for some reason. than what I think will happen in the playoffs if Manning comes back.

Archived