Would you want Thomas on your offensive line at the cost of a first-round draft pick? If the answer is wholeheartedly, "Yes", what is your threshold of pain when it comes to the first-round pick plus additional compensation requested by the Browns for Joe Thomas?

The subject should be relevant for another four-and-a-half hours.

If the only thing holding Alex back as some have said, why not. First round picks are no guarantee. Pair thomas with fisher and morse and then Alex should fly right. Do it.

Thomas and Mack play for Cleveland and they suck because they are still looking for a QB. Let's get a franchise QB and quit playing whack a mole trying to figure out every option to prop up the QB position. The good QBs make everybody better. Time for us to get one.

Thomas and Mack play for Cleveland and they suck because they are still looking for a QB. Let's get a franchise QB and quit playing whack a mole trying to figure out every option to prop up the QB position. The good QBs make everybody better. Time for us to get one.

To prop up the QB? We didn't get an OLine to prop up our QB. We didn't get receivers until this year. We already had Charles, so that can't count as getting something to prop Smith up. We haven't started our defensive players we drafted until this year. Where is all the propping up? If anything, I think the moves we've made while Smith was here was for the future (Conley maybe with Murray or next year's guy, Fisher getting his lumps, etc.).

No. Wouldn't do it. Keep that 1st for a possible QB or BPA during the draft. It's evident to me, that Dorsey and Reid are hell bent on growing/grooming their own drafted Oline. Thomas would not fit this mold.

Trading for Grubbs (though the comp wasn't that high) wasn't growing/grooming their own guy, though. So I would say the comp would be what keeps us out, not the hell bent part.

To prop up the QB? We didn't get an OLine to prop up our QB. We didn't get receivers until this year. We already had Charles, so that can't count as getting something to prop Smith up. We haven't started our defensive players we drafted until this year. Where is all the propping up? If anything, I think the moves we've made while Smith was here was for the future (Conley maybe with Murray or next year's guy, Fisher getting his lumps, etc.).

Smith is an average, journeyman QB. The Chiefs roster has been littered with these for years, decades. It's time to go get the franchise. Save upper round round picks. We've had all world O-lines, great defenses, incredible RBs, an HOF TE and average, cast off QBs that weren't good enough for other teams. Does anybody see a pattern here?

Smith is an average, journeyman QB. The Chiefs roster has been littered with these for years, decades. It's time to go get the franchise. Save upper round round picks. We've had all world O-lines, great defenses, incredible RBs, an HOF TE and average, cast off QBs that weren't good enough for other teams. Does anybody see a pattern here?

Not really relevant to what I said and I don't disagree. I would love to have a franchise quarterback for the next 10 to 15 years. I'd be willing to spend a first round pick on one or even trade up.

I won't argue with Smith being average, but I don't see him as a journey man until he goes to a third team. Also, I don't form my opinions based upon what other organizations do, so I really don't care if their castoffs. I care if they're good enough and what we've gotten hasn't been for what we've had around them.

If we going 2-14 I totally agree. We will end up with A 20th pick and no qb. Thomas is well worth that.

I have been a big Smith supporter for years and was excited when we got him to play in Reids system.  That being said, to me he has regressed every year since he has been here.  Not sure if that is because of the OL, the WR, the play calling, etc., but that is all  irrelevant.  It seems to me now that AS is a good QB, that can help a team get to a Superbowl but cannot take one that far.  He needs a good defense, a good running game, and really good play calling to do that and I'm just not sure that he is going to have that here.  I would not be against us moving in another direction at QB, but I don't think it will happen for at least 2 years.  If that is going to be the case, then you might as well get him all the help you can and see if its enough to make us contenders.  Draft picks are never a sure thing, and ProBowl players usually are.  JMO

I have been a big Smith supporter for years and was excited when we got him to play in Reids system. That being said, to me he has regressed every year since he has been here. Not sure if that is because of the OL, the WR, the play calling, etc., but that is all irrelevant. It seems to me now that AS is a good QB, that can help a team get to a Superbowl but cannot take one that far. He needs a good defense, a good running game, and really good play calling to do that and I'm just not sure that he is going to have that here. I would not be against us moving in another direction at QB, but I don't think it will happen for at least 2 years. If that is going to be the case, then you might as well get him all the help you can and see if its enough to make us contenders. Draft picks are never a sure thing, and ProBowl players usually are. JMO

Wow, this is a pretty reasonable post. It talks about moving on from Smith without saying everything needs to be perfect or that he sucks. I also don't think the post blames everyone else.

Having said all that, I would say that if they believe in Smith they should trade for someone who will put him in the best position. If they are looking at the future, then draft picks are important, regardless of how often they don't pan out. I feel all our draft picks were for the future and not really for the current team. Grubbs and Maclin were the moves for the current team.

This is going to be a pretty well-oiled machine when Smith leaves. That bodes well for whoever the next quarterback is, whenever that is. That's good for this franchise. If Smith wants to be there when it's well-oiled, he has to improve his play. Not saying that's going to happen, but I think he has until next year, even if it is only to attempt to hold off a higher drafted quarterback.

Wow, this is a pretty reasonable post. It talks about moving on from Smith without saying everything needs to be perfect or that he sucks. I also don't think the post blames everyone else.

Having said all that, I would say that if they believe in Smith they should trade for someone who will put him in the best position. If they are looking at the future, then draft picks are important, regardless of how often they don't pan out. I feel all our draft picks were for the future and not really for the current team. Grubbs and Maclin were the moves for the current team.

This is going to be a pretty well-oiled machine when Smith leaves. That bodes well for whoever the next quarterback is, whenever that is. That's good for this franchise. If Smith wants to be there when it's well-oiled, he has to improve his play. Not saying that's going to happen, but I think he has until next year, even if it is only to attempt to hold off a higher drafted quarterback.

Very solid. Yes, if we aren't moving on, get Joe Thomas. Draft picks are total crap shoot. Thomas would be worth first easily. If all Alex needs is a line, then do it.

Trading for Grubbs (though the comp wasn't that high) wasn't growing/grooming their own guy, though. So I would say the comp would be what keeps us out, not the hell bent part.

Grubbs is just a stop gap. That's all he is. Reid/Dorsey want their own home grown guys. Hence, LDT getting the start again. He flat out stunk up the joint against the Lions and he is not ready, imo.

Very solid. Yes, if we aren't moving on, get Joe Thomas. Draft picks are total crap shoot. Thomas would be worth first easily. If all Alex needs is a line, then do it.

We've been saying draft picks are a crap shoot since 1983. Time to go get a QB people. Joe Thomas is a great tackle. Franchise Tackles don't win Super Bowls. Franchise QBs do. Save the pick for a QB. Has anyone noticed what Brady, Mannings, Brees, Rodgers, Elway, etc have done for their organizations. Willie Roaf was one of the best tackles ever. Left New Orleans, they won a Super Bowl with Brees. Do we want average seasons with an average QB or win the whole thing with a QB that can carry when needed. Thomas would come here for a few years, play well, retire and we'll still be looking for a QB to win a SB with! 

We've been saying draft picks are a crap shoot since 1983. Time to go get a QB people. Joe Thomas is a great tackle. Franchise Tackles don't win Super Bowls. Franchise QBs do. Save the pick for a QB. Has anyone noticed what Brady, Mannings, Brees, Rodgers, Elway, etc have done for their organizations. Willie Roaf was one of the best tackles ever. Left New Orleans, they won a Super Bowl with Brees. Do we want average seasons with an average QB or win the whole thing with a QB that can carry when needed. Thomas would come here for a few years, play well, retire and we'll still be looking for a QB to win a SB with!

If we are sticking with Alex, if, then build a line worth a shit.

If we are sticking with Alex, if, then build a line worth a shit.

I think if they were asking for a second or third, they would be more reason to get him (but, of course, other teams might, too). And that would be regardless of what they think about Smith because what is good for the goose is good for the gander. A better line would be better for Smith or for the next guy. But if the next guy might be acquired with the first-round pick and that's what they're asking, then it becomes a question.

I think if they were asking for a second or third, they would be more reason to get him (but, of course, other teams might, too). And that would be regardless of what they think about Smith because what is good for the goose is good for the gander. A better line would be better for Smith or for the next guy. But if the next guy might be acquired with the first-round pick and that's what they're asking, then it becomes a question.

That is the question. I personally hope it's Murray.

I agree with you 100% IF we would look at trying to get one of the top qb's in the draft.  Unfortunately, I do not believe that is what they are going to do.  If they are 100% behind AS, then you would think they would think they would do whatever they could to help him out.  I would assume that their futures with the team are tied to AS success, but I could be wrong.

Don't get me wrong.  I really want to be on the AS train and to hell with anyone that wants to run him down, but it's kind of hard to support that theory with the product we have got so far.

OK folks. Let's have this conversation again after next year when the new regime moves in and goes out and gets the next 30 year old savior from somebody else's team that can lead us to the Super Bowl. And then we can discuss again 3 years after that. Same thing. Same results.

Well, broncos are working on a trade for joe thomas. Of course they are.

It seems like our franchise is always saying they don't want to mortgage their future for the now. The assumption is if we were close enough we would but when we never get close enough because of our lack of moves, it's self defining and self-fulfilling prophecy. It's like overthinking or trying to be too clever. I do think though that they are looking for the future, but they can't sell that to the public. So all of their talk about the current just makes the fans upset about the lack of moves. I would hope that in the future, when we do get closer, they will make the bigger moves.

Guest Okiechief1

If we going 2-14 I totally agree. We will end up with A 20th pick and no qb. Thomas is well worth that.

Don't need to go 2-14 or have a top 10 or 5 pick to get one. Dalton, Carr, Bridgewater and Wilson were all taken late first or later.

If the UC declare then one or two are gonna fall. Take one, let him sit for a year, build the team around him and then turn him loose and see what happens.

Archived