NFL Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda's

What teams records would be much different if they had one play go their way or another? How about if they they had one more go against them?

I looked at all 32 teams and took the games that they won or lost by <6 and flipped the script. Here are the results. (Note: This excludes 7 0r 8 point wins because that would include assuming overtime.)

Unluckiest (Also the biggest scopes of possibilities):

Baltimore Ravens (2-6): Could be as high as 7-1 or low as 0-8.

San Diego Chargers (2-7): Could be as high as 6-3 or as low as 0-9.

Three Game Swings: New York Giants, Pittsburgh Steelers, Oakland Raiders, Seattle Seahawks, New Orleans Saints, Dallas Cowboys, and Tennessee Titans could all have 3 more wins.

Kansas City Chiefs could also have three if you include the Denver game.

Luckiest:

Atlanta Falcons (6-3): Could be as low as 2-7 or as high as 7-1.

Cincinnati Bengals (8-0): Could be as low as 4-4 or as high as 8-0.

Denver Broncos (7-1): Could be as low as 4-4 or as high as 8-0. 3-5 if you remove the Chiefs game.

Three Game Swings: Indianapolis Colts, Carolina Panthers, Denver Broncos, and Chicago Bears could all have 3 more losses.

Stay the Same:

Green Bay Packers (6-2) and New England Patriots (8-0) would still be where they are.

Ignoring Head-to-Head Consequences, if every team had their best case scenario (one more offensive scoring play per game if needed), Playoff Standings Would Be:

AFC:

1. New England Patriots: 8-0

1. Cincinnati Bengals: 8-0

1. Denver Broncos: 8-0

4. Indianapolis Colts: 6-3

5. Pittsburgh Steelers: 8-1

6. Baltimore Ravens: 7-1

6. Oakland Raiders: 7-1

8. Buffalo Bills: 7-2

9. Kansas City Chiefs: 6-2

10. San Diego Chargers: 6-3

NFC

1. Carolina Panthers: 8-0

2. New York Giants: 8-1

3. Seattle Seahawks: 7-1

4. Minnesota Vikings: 7-1

5. Arizona Cardinals: 7-1

6. Atlanta Falcons: 7-2

6. New Orleans Saints: 7-2

8. Green Bay Packers: 6-2

8. Philadelphia Eagles: 6-2

8. St. Louis Rams: 6-2

Ignoring Head-to-Head Consequences, if every team had their worst case scenario (one less offensive scoring play per game if needed), Playoff Standings Would Be:

AFC

1. New England Patriots: 8-0

2. Cincinnati Bengals: 4-4

3. Denver Broncos: 4-4

4. Houston Texan: 3-5

5. New York Jets: 4-5

6. Kansas City Chiefs: 3-5

6. Oaklanc Raider: 3-5

6. Miami Dolphins: 3-5

9. Buffalo Bills: 3-6

9. Pittsburgh Steelers: 3-6

NFC

1. Arizona Cardinals: 6-2

2. Green Bay Packers: 6-2

3. Carolina Panthers: 5-3

4. New York Giants: 4-5

5. Minnesota Vikings: 4-4

6. Philadelphia Eagles: 3-5

7. Seattle Seahawks: 2-6

7. St. Louis Rams: 2-6

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 2-6

10. Atlanta Falcons: 2-7

11. New Orleans Saints: 2-7

worthless info....winners find a way to win more often than not

worthless post to make a worthless point... we all know that winners find ways to win.

A Ravens fan was telling me how they could be 7-1 and someone here said how the Broncos should have only three wins. So I was just seeing how many teams would remain in the playoffs if all teams did their worst. 8-0 is New England's worst case. (Insert some repetition of how elite QBs blah, blah, blah.)

worthless info....winners find a way to win more often than not

The next thing you will enlighten us on is that no means no, Captain Obvious. Kidding.

I think the point is parody and slim margin between bad and good. It can be as slim as a bounce of the ball. Coaches and players come under much more scrutiny when you lose. If they did the exact same thing and won, they are not idiots.

It's interesting. However, if the margin of victory between two competing teams is measured exclusively by point differential, you are ignoring scheme, game flow, and numerous other details (the disposition of the winning head coach; the history between the two teams, especially rival teams) that would indicate more clearly how competitive or non-competitive a game was.

It's interesting. However, if the margin of victory between two competing teams is measured exclusively by point differential, you are ignoring scheme, game flow, and numerous other details (the disposition of the winning head coach; the history between the two teams, especially rival teams) that would indicate more clearly how competitive or non-competitive a game was.

I understand. There could be a game where the winning team is up by 13 and the losing team scored a touchdown in the last four seconds of the game, thus making it a six point game. That looks close but it isn't. Conversely, a game could be a one point lead and the losing team trying to get into FG range could throw a pick six. That would take it out of the what if's, despite the actual game being close. The Chiefs Denver game wasn't added to the list despite that just being one play game decider.

Besides, I made this list with the idea of what all the fans claim when they're talking about the what if's.

I understand. There could be a game where the winning team is up by 13 and the losing team scored a touchdown in the last four seconds of the game, thus making it a six point game. That looks close but it isn't. Conversely, a game could be a one point lead and the losing team trying to get into FG range could throw a pick six. That would take it out of the what if's, despite the actual game being close. The Chiefs Denver game wasn't added to the list despite that just being one play game decider.

Besides, I made this list with the idea of what all the fans claim when they're talking about the what if's.

If nothing else, it highlighted which teams were winning or losing "close games". It supplied a lot more information than I was willing to dig up.

I usually have enough time throughout the year to dig up interesting statistical anomalies, but this year I have been so busy that I have no 2015 database as of yet.

AP Sports Denver

For about 115 out of 120 minutes this season, the Chiefs have outplayed the Broncos. If not for a breakdown in Week 2 at Arrowhead, Kansas City could be 2-0 against Denver. The Chiefs allowed two touchdowns in a 9-second span during a 31-24 loss to the Broncos, which included Bradley Roby's 21-yard fumble return with 27 seconds remaining.

This time, it wasn't even close. The defense made sure of it.

"Defense, defense, defense. They did a tremendous job, five turnovers," said Kansas City coach Andy Reid. "They were able to put pressure on Peyton. That doesn't happen very often."

Cairo Santos made five field goals and Alex Smith finished an efficient 17 of 31 for 204 yards and an 80-yard TD pass to West that put the finishing touches on the win early in the fourth quarter.

All thanks to their defense.

"To be sitting there watching it on the sidelines was really, really impressive," Smith said. "It may be one of the best defensive performances in a long time."

AP Sports Denver

For about 115 out of 120 minutes this season, the Chiefs have outplayed the Broncos. If not for a breakdown in Week 2 at Arrowhead, Kansas City could be 2-0 against Denver. The Chiefs allowed two touchdowns in a 9-second span during a 31-24 loss to the Broncos, which included Bradley Roby's 21-yard fumble return with 27 seconds remaining.

This time, it wasn't even close. The defense made sure of it.

"Defense, defense, defense. They did a tremendous job, five turnovers," said Kansas City coach Andy Reid. "They were able to put pressure on Peyton. That doesn't happen very often."

Cairo Santos made five field goals and Alex Smith finished an efficient 17 of 31 for 204 yards and an 80-yard TD pass to West that put the finishing touches on the win early in the fourth quarter.

All thanks to their defense.

"To be sitting there watching it on the sidelines was really, really impressive," Smith said. "It may be one of the best defensive performances in a long time."

Now that's what I'm talking about!!! But Tony Dungy and all the Peyton lovers gives the Chiefs defense any credit.

KCSL, i like a lot of the stats and facts you bring to the board. Not this.. Too many ifs. You either win or lose. The good ones find a way to win the others find a way to lose.

I respect that opinion (and I agree overall). I was actually just doing it because I was curious when somebody was telling me how their team would've been. Their team was the Baltimore Ravens. Right now, all of their games have been determined by eight or fewer points. That's the record in history. I drew my line at six points, because I felt like being within eight isn't really that significant and it would suggest a win instead of a loss when a two-point conversion would only tie it.

After doing the work, I felt like it should be shared. So I shared it with better formatting than I did in my text to him. I thought by giving the name woulda coulda shoulda would've indicated that it was a sour grapes or a count your blessings type of stat, not a look how good my team really is stat.

I have no idea where to put this, but Washington's coach, after losing 44-16, insisted he wasn't blaming the refs for this game, but... To be fair, he did say it was his fault, and maybe the players, or rather his fault for not getting the players to play better. Damn refs, that woulda coulda been a win.

Archived