Is this the last we see of Manning

Here are my thoughts regarding Manning's plantar fasciitis (apparently with some rupture).  This is an injury that will fully heal in about three weeks if treated with great caution and appropriate rehab, so his season is done.  Entering the realm of speculation, I can't help but wonder if his injury was caused in part by weakening of the connective tissues caused by frequent steroid treatments and injections for other injuries or soreness expected of a 39 year old trying to play NFL football.  Only the Bronco's team physicians can answer that, but I strongly suspect he has had frequent exposure to steroids in the last few years at least.  If that is the case, then it could take a lot longer than three months.  By next year, he will be 40.  I think he's done to be honest.  He probably should have called it quits when his decline became evident last year.  Personally, I knew this was coming, and a long dark night of trying to find a top QB will hold the Broncos back for years or even decades, like it has with the Chiefs.  The Broncos have seen this coming and tried to build a competitive team by hugely building up their defense.  But as the Chiefs can attest, that can get you into the playoffs at times, but it will never win you a championship.  The reign of the Broncos is over IMO.

Guest Bilyous will you please tell real Bilyous not to be a stranger.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are my thoughts regarding Manning's plantar fasciitis (apparently with some rupture).  This is an injury that will fully heal in about three weeks if treated with great caution and appropriate rehab, so his season is done.  Entering the realm of speculation, I can't help but wonder if his injury was caused in part by weakening of the connective tissues caused by frequent steroid treatments and injections for other injuries or soreness expected of a 39 year old trying to play NFL football.  Only the Bronco's team physicians can answer that, but I strongly suspect he has had frequent exposure to steroids in the last few years at least.  If that is the case, then it could take a lot longer than three months.  By next year, he will be 40.  I think he's done to be honest.  He probably should have called it quits when his decline became evident last year.  Personally, I knew this was coming, and a long dark night of trying to find a top QB will hold the Broncos back for years or even decades, like it has with the Chiefs.  The Broncos have seen this coming and tried to build a competitive team by hugely building up their defense.  But as the Chiefs can attest, that can get you into the playoffs at times, but it will never win you a championship.  The reign of the Broncos is over IMO.

Not for sure. See Albert Pujols Angels. Not the same player for two years. Can not even play 1st base on a consistent basis. Surgery now out 5 months. 1st base much less demanding than QB. PLus its getting COLD.

Agree with OT and a couple others, the Broncos will sit Manning and let him heal. They have a great defense and Osweiler should be able to pull out a win or two in the meantime. Manning may be done after this season, but I"m not writing him off just yet for this one. If I were Denver, I'd give him the next 4 games off for sure. I think they can come away 3-1 in that stretch with a backup QB because I think they can beat Chicago, San Diego, and Oakland without him.

Even with his age and injuries, I never thought the last sentence would be true 10 weeks into the season.

"Foles, who was acquired from Philadelphia in a trade that sent Sam Bradford to the Eagles, has completed 56.6 percent of his passes this season, with seven touchdowns and six interceptions. His 75.9 passer rating is the third-worst among starting quarterbacks, ahead of only Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/16/rams-bench-nick-foles-will-start-case-keenum/

When saying he won't use it as an excuse, I'd prefer if he hadn't said anything. Just said it was a bad game and the Chiefs played well. I mean, it isn't like it wouldn't come out eventually. And I know the sore ribs was on the injury report prior to the game, but was the foot? I seem to remember the torn quad not being there either. Not saying it wasn't there, just wondering about the reporting ethics in the NFL. If it's a little hurt but no reason to disclose, then it does not excuse the play. If it is bad enough, it should show up. If it happened in the game, say so, as opposed to saying afterwards he shouldn't have played.

Even with his age and injuries, I never thought the last sentence would be true 10 weeks into the season.

"Foles, who was acquired from Philadelphia in a trade that sent Sam Bradford to the Eagles, has completed 56.6 percent of his passes this season, with seven touchdowns and six interceptions. His 75.9 passer rating is the third-worst among starting quarterbacks, ahead of only Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/16/rams-bench-nick-foles-will-start-case-keenum/

That is actually a pretty astonishing statistic. 

That is actually a pretty astonishing statistic. 

Do you blame Kubiak for not making the offense more game-managerish? I mean, it has been a bit like that, but you can't tell me that he'd be the second lowest rated QB (even if passer rating isn't a great stat) if he was asked to do even less. And I don't know if they would lose any of their wins doing it.

Do you blame Kubiak for not making the offense more game-managerish? I mean, it has been a bit like that, but you can't tell me that he'd be the second lowest rated QB (even if passer rating isn't a great stat) if he was asked to do even less. And I don't know if they would lose any of their wins doing it.

No, I blame it on an aging Peyton Manning and an offense that had been built around the passing game.  Kubiak WANTS to run the ball and use playaction, but Peyton's skillset has always been to play from the shotgun.  Actually, I think that a big reason Manning only has 1 ring is because his offense was so pass heavy, and it has always been hard to run between the tackles in it.

Elway didn't win a ring until he reduced shotgun and ran Kubiak's offense.

But, but, but, Manning was brilliant with how he went to his offense to beat us... My sarcasm was not to that game, because it worked, but the overall season for Manning might have gone better if he stuck to Kubiak's balance.

Elway had a ridiculous o-line and Terrell Davis. Todd Haley looked awesome when he had Fitzgerald, Boldin, and Breaston in Arizona. this is the same thing. 

Elway had a ridiculous o-line and Terrell Davis. Todd Haley looked awesome when he had Fitzgerald, Boldin, and Breaston in Arizona. this is the same thing. 

Elway had the SMALLEST offensive line in the NFL.  Yes, there was plenty of talent, but there is no way Elway wins a Super Bowl without the power running game.  Running the football still wins championships.  Manning dominates the regular season, but when he has to face physical defenses in the post season, he gets roughed up. 

Elway had the SMALLEST offensive line in the NFL. Yes, there was plenty of talent, but there is no way Elway wins a Super Bowl without the power running game. Running the football still wins championships. Manning dominates the regular season, but when he has to face physical defenses in the post season, he gets roughed up.

Yep

Manning is toast. I have a gut feeling the gloss will wear off Osweiler. It might not even take a game. Their next game at Chicago could be a test. Denver's defense should keep them in the game.

Why are you counting him out before he even starts?

Emanuel sanders

D Thomas

Vernon Davis

While I didn't know that bit of history, it agrees with my general sentiments as to what a team really needs. Too many Super Bowl winning teams did not field quarterbacks generally considered to be the best. Peyton Manning was far more the quarterback than his little brother. You need your team. Teams that are built almost exclusively around their quarterback live and die with their quarterback. The Colts went 2-14 in 2011 without Peyton Manning. And when Peyton Manning was winning games with his teams, that's not enough to win a Super Bowl: You need to be on your game for at least three games in a row, and if you don't show up in any one week, your team goes down with you.

Quarterbacks are overrated. You don't need a Peyton Manning or a Tom Brady or an Aaron Rodgers to win a Super Bowl. You do need a dominant defense, a solid running game, and a quarterback that won't blow up the game trying to be a hero.

While I didn't know that bit of history, it agrees with my general sentiments as to what a team really needs. Too many Super Bowl winning teams did not field quarterbacks generally considered to be the best. Peyton Manning was far more the quarterback than his little brother. You need your team. Teams that are built almost exclusively around their quarterback live and die with their quarterback. The Colts went 2-14 in 2011 without Peyton Manning. And when Peyton Manning was winning games with his teams, that's not enough to win a Super Bowl: You need to be on your game for at least three games in a row, and if you don't show up in any one week, your team goes down with you.

Quarterbacks are overrated. You don't need a Peyton Manning or a Tom Brady or an Aaron Rodgers to win a Super Bowl. You do need a dominant defense, a solid running game, and a quarterback that won't blow up the game trying to be a hero.

Peyton, Brady and Rodgers have been in 10 Super Bowls and have won 6. The average score in the 6 wins was 27.3 while the average points given up were 22.1. Average 265 pass yards/game in the wins. 98 rush yards/game. Hardly dominant defenses or running games  I think having a these QBs were needed. Suppose the Saints didn't need Brees or the Packers didn't need Favre and the Rams didn't need Warner or Steelers didn't need Roethlisberger, twice. It's a quarterback league now. Name one of these teams that would have won the SB without these overrated QBs

You forgot a coach that can win the big games. Reid is not that guy.

Archived