Chiefs Chargers Predictions

Wow...if Chiefs win and Jets and Buffalo both lose (all very conceivable) the Chiefs are #6 seed in the AFC. Who woulda thunk it?

I did. Jamaal Charles wasn't as big a deal as everyone thought (as I've always maintained about NFL runningbacks in general), and Alex Smith was a bigger deal than everyone thought (again, as I've always maintained about Alex Smith relative to NFL quarterbacks). The defense finally showing up also helped a ton. Had they showed up during the end of the Bears game, this team would be 5-4, and a victory during the Steelers' bye week would have put the Chiefs at the sixth seed regardless of whether or not the Bills or Jets win or lose.

I miss Jamaal Charles, and he's a great play-maker, but he hasn't been the player the offense is built around since Andy Reid got to Kansas City. When he went out, it was next man up, and as long as the runningback that's on the field instead of Charles can pass protect at a functional level and can be a threat when carrying the ball, this offense can produce enough to contribute to winning efforts.

I did. Jamaal Charles wasn't as big a deal as everyone thought (as I've always maintained about NFL runningbacks in general), and Alex Smith was a bigger deal than everyone thought (again, as I've always maintained about Alex Smith relative to NFL quarterbacks). The defense finally showing up also helped a ton. Had they showed up during the end of the Bears game, this team would be 5-4, and a victory during the Steelers' bye week would have put the Chiefs at the sixth seed regardless of whether or not the Bills or Jets win or lose.

I miss Jamaal Charles, and he's a great play-maker, but he hasn't been the player the offense is built around since Andy Reid got to Kansas City. When he went out, it was next man up, and as long as the runningback that's on the field instead of Charles can pass protect at a functional level and can be a threat when carrying the ball, this offense can produce enough to contribute to winning efforts.

We need our running back to be able to competently catch, block sufficiently well, and be able to get one or 2 yards in third and shorts. It's great to have the playmaker that Charles is, but if you do compensate for not having it, you don't have to have that every game. Some games obviously against the powerhouses you do, but it's not an every game need. You do need the threat of it, just not the execution, even though of course, you would want the execution too.

Bold

JC, is the man but his injury has been a blessing in disguise for this team. We no longer need to rely on him carrying the offense. Everyone can step up and carry their own weight now.

Today Rivers joins Manning on the sidelines. Injured by KC Blitz. San Diego does not run the ball well. Double Whitehead and Berry on Gates. Rivers throwing to unknown guys with a beat up o-line. Remember: Rivers has put up a lot of numbers when SD was way behind. KC is not in prevent defense mode.

Archived