Chiefs Defense This Article Makes for Interesting Conversation

Great Read

http://arrowheadaddict.com/2015/11/18/big-victory-for-chiefs-but-not-out-of-the-woods-yet/

Yes that opening schedule looks much different now. Most of the teams KC played are very much in the playoff hunt. May be good enough to help this team sneak into the playoffs after a horrid start.

How good is this defense? Your opinion?

The offense is not great and we knew that going into the season, but if the defense had been who we thought they were from the beginning it wouldn't have mattered. We would have two more wins right now if not three.

Still, if the offense were just a little bit better (not talking elite), we would also have two or three more wins. If both were better earlier, we would have been talking about maybe the second seed or division. I don't think we'd get it, but we would be talking about it.

At the beginning of the season, we picked the worst time for both of them to be playing poorly.

The offense is not great and we knew that going into the season, but if the defense had been who we thought they were from the beginning it wouldn't have mattered. We would have two more wins right now if not three.

Still, if the offense were just a little bit better (not talking elite), we would also have two or three more wins. If both were better earlier, we would have been talking about maybe the second seed or division. I don't think we'd get it, but we would be talking about it.

At the beginning of the season, we picked the worst time for both of them to be playing poorly.

Did you read the article?

I think our defense is awesome. However, we are an injury away from not being awesome. If we lose a starting CB we are in trouble. If we lose any of the key guys (DJ, Berry, Hali, Houston) we are in trouble. 

I believe if Gaines hadn't got hurt the defense would have shown up much earlier. 

This defense is back to what we thought they would be. Not having Sean Smith for the first 3 games and Poe being on the mend was crippling.

Now they've hit their stride and for all intents and purposes, Peters is not a rookie anymore, and Berry is back to full strength.

The offensive line is playing much better and the offense, while not great, is good enough to win with a great d. Field goals are not terrible when you get 3+ every game.

I thought the article was spot on.

This defense is back to what we thought they would be. Not having Sean Smith for the first 3 games and Poe being on the mend was crippling.

Now they've hit their stride and for all intents and purposes, Peters is not a rookie anymore, and Berry is back to full strength.

The offensive line is playing much better and the offense, while not great, is good enough to win with a great d. Field goals are not terrible when you get 3+ every game.

I thought the article was spot on.

I agree. The opponents we thought should be easy prey have turned out to be very competitive as the article pointed out. So second half the Experts will say we are winning against a soft schedule. I am happy with any win on any given Sunday. Damn the Talking Heads.

I think our defense is awesome. However, we are an injury away from not being awesome. If we lose a starting CB we are in trouble. If we lose any of the key guys (DJ, Berry, Hali, Houston) we are in trouble.

I believe if Gaines hadn't got hurt the defense would have shown up much earlier.

Abdullah and Parker are studs

From another interesting article: https://t.co/VUBaiE5CuL

Over the past five games, the Chiefs defense has allowed just 14 points per game, which is the best in the NFL over that span.

They’ve also been particularly good in short-yardage situations.

On third-and-1 and fourth-and-1 situations, the Chiefs defense has allowed a first down just 38.5 percent of the time, which is the best mark in the NFL.

The NFL average is 66.7 percent.

From another interesting article: https://t.co/VUBaiE5CuL

Over the past five games, the Chiefs defense has allowed just 14 points per game, which is the best in the NFL over that span.

They’ve also been particularly good in short-yardage situations.

On third-and-1 and fourth-and-1 situations, the Chiefs defense has allowed a first down just 38.5 percent of the time, which is the best mark in the NFL.

The NFL average is 66.7 percent.

This is what we were expecting

The article suggests the defense was up against better opponents than most thought at that time. Its suggests it played better than the stats or schedule indicated.

Has it also gotten better? Well the last few opponents are not great offenses so its still hard to say for sure. I just want to see the same performance in these last 7 games and win regardless of the opponent.

Great Article, Wish I had time to have read it before my post.

Opponents Current Record:

Houston: 4-5 (0-0)

Denver: 7-2 (1-0)

Green Bay: 6-3 (2-0)

Cincinnati: 8-1 (3-0)

Chicago: 4-5 (1-3)

Minnesota: 7-2 (2-2)

Detroit: 2-7 (1-6)

Denver: 7-2 (7-1)

------------------ 38-27 (0.585), 17-12 (0.586)

San Diego: 2-7

Buffalo: 5-4

Oakland: 4-5

San Diego: 2-7

Baltimore: 2-7

Cleveland: 2-8

Oakland: 4-5

Remaining Schedule: 21-43 (0.328)

Bills are likely to be 5-5 when we play them and if we beat the Chargers, obviously their record will be lower the second time we play them, same with Oakland. Pretty sure Baltimore's record's going to be better when we face them, though.

Oh, look! fanatic posted an article that paints Alex Smith as a quarterback that teams win in spite of, and to boot, gives Philip Rivers special commendation as a quarterback capable of winning with a cast of nobodies (which is undoubtedly the reason why his team is 2-7 on a similar strength of schedule, and winless against teams with more than two wins on the season).

The article basically acknowledged what I said back in week four.

Oh, look! fanatic posted an article that paints Alex Smith as a quarterback that teams win in spite of, and to boot, gives Philip Rivers special commendation as a quarterback capable of winning with a cast of nobodies (which is undoubtedly the reason why his team is 2-7 on a similar strength of schedule, and winless against teams with more than two wins on the season).

The article basically acknowledged what I said back in week four.

Its just an article. Another persons opinion. Not a fact or proof of anything. A topic for conversation. I think it has some merit not sure I agree completely. Sutton is still a very questionable coordinator in my view.

Its just an article. Another persons opinion. Not a fact or proof of anything. A topic for conversation. I think it has some merit not sure I agree completely. Sutton is still a very questionable coordinator in my view.

Now that would be a topic: Where does Bob Sutton class in the NFL?

Given the talent on the defense, and his struggle to leverage a lead against the opponent, I don't grade him well at all. His unit has disappointed at key moments this season. Giving up the late scores to the Bears represented the lowest point of the season. From there, it seems the defense has played well.

Archived