So, apparently, i am a cheater

I am not pointing fingers. A trade deadline is needed, I agree. Not that it affected me any. My team shit the bed and wouldn't have beat anyone this week.

My issue is all of the lopsided, nepotistic trading that went on. One, in particular, during the playoffs after one team was out of it. I have been in theses leagues before where too many relatives are involved. It doesn't work and is not worth the headaches. Bragging rights only, is one thing. But, when money is involved, well....

I have been in the league since it's inception and have enjoyed the time. I'll keep the peace and find another league.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not pointing fingers. A trade deadline is needed, I agree. Not that it affected me any. My team shit the bed and wouldn't have beat anyone this week.

My issue is all of the lopsided, nepotistic trading that went on. One, in particular, during the playoffs after one team was out of it. I have been in theses leagues before where too many relatives are involved. It doesn't work and is not worth the headaches. Bragging rights only, is one thing. But, when money is involved, well....

I have been in the league since it's inception and have enjoyed the time. I'll keep the peace and find another league.

Give me a chance to fix it.  I just took over this year, and will make changes next year now that I know the things needed to make it better.  My plan would be to put a trade deadline in 1 week before the playoffs.  I agree.  Problem is, we need people to fill the league.  All i want is for the league to be fair and fun.  Their are options to vote against trades, and i would recommend people use it.  I think people are afraid to as they think it will upset a friend.  Don't give up yet, i will get this straightened out!  The rules this year are what they are.  All that happened was within the rules.  BUT, those rules WILL be modified next year, if I do it again, because they HAVE to.

1 I don't think the trades have been out of bounds. 2 teams can veto trades. 3 I would be ok with a trade deadline. 4 this is a keeper league, so that somewhat disincentivizes trading top players without adequate compensation.

I'm in next year and had a great time this year. Trade deadline is a must and it needs to be set for one week after the official NFL trade deadline. Anyway thanks for letting me in the league and I will be ready next year and try to have a better showing because I sucked this year. Semo called me out in a thread earlier in this year. My apologies if any late trades on my part hurt the integrity of the playoff games.

I'm in next year and had a great time this year. Trade deadline is a must and it needs to be set for one week after the official NFL trade deadline. Anyway thanks for letting me in the league and I will be ready next year and try to have a better showing because I sucked this year. Semo called me out in a thread earlier in this year. My apologies if any late trades on my part hurt the integrity of the playoff games.

They did not!  They were within the rules of the league.  if someone had issue with them, they could have voted against them.  I think the week before playoffs begin for the trade deadline is a good time because injuries happen.  And it gives you a chance to solidify your team if you are willing to trade good players.  it's also a way for teams that didn't make playoffs to possibly trade for future keepers if someone is willing to part with them.  BUT, there does need to be a deadline.

I hope Semo stays..,  He's been here from day 1.., He's always in the playoffs..,

Agree completely about a trade deadline.., This is the first league I've been in in the 25 years I've been doing it that there wasn't a deadline.., Never in my life seen trades in the playoffs.., But I'm in the mix and if other people are doing it and keep doing it, then I sure as fuck am too..,

Two weeks before the playoffs would be my choice for a deadline.., My 2 cents anyway..,

I hope Semo stays.., He's been here from day 1.., He's always in the playoffs..,

Agree completely about a trade deadline.., This is the first league I've been in in the 25 years I've been doing it that there wasn't a deadline.., Never in my life seen trades in the playoffs.., But I'm in the mix and if other people are doing it and keep doing it, then I sure as fuck am too..,

Two weeks before the playoffs would be my choice for a deadline.., My 2 cents anyway..,

I have never seen trades in the playoffs usually 2 to 3 weeks prior

Here's some outside tips (I took over a team in this league for one year and it was the worst decision I ever made in FF)...

No Trade Voting - Get rid of it. No matter how "lopsided" it may seem, it may not end up being the case. Also, when you have a keeper league, one owner may be trying to win now and another may be trying to build his keeper base for the future. And, after all, it isn't your team. I've never seen a league last that's allowed trade voting. Owners can never be impartial. If anything, have a commissioner only veto. If a trade is "that" lopsided, then everyone in the league will know it, including the commissioner. Most commissioner's I know of in long-time leagues haven't had to use that power more than a few times in 20 years.

Keep A Waiver Wire - It exists in the NFL, and it should also exist in your league. The worst teams should have priority for top free agents. Have a system where if the worst team gets a free agent off the wire, then they go to the end of the waiver line for the next free agent. The same team should not have waiver priority in two separate transactions in the same week.

Set A Keeper Limit and Stick To It - Most keeper leagues are 2 or 3 keepers. Some leagues incorporate a "Developmental Keeper," or a player you have on your roster but do not play in more than "x" number of games in a given year (e.g. 2). Have the owners decide on this limit and keep it that way. Future strategy is affected by this. Also, you aren't running a dynasty league so keep the limit reasonable.

Trade Deadline - Set a trade deadline week of say, week 7, to keep teams from affecting the playoffs.

No Double-Trades - The same two teams cannot make a trade involving the same player(s) more than once during a season. This helps keep owners from colluding and stashing players on each other's rosters.

Weighted Lottery Draft - Bottom "x" number of teams get put into a lottery for the first "x" number of slots. Use order of finish to fill the rest of the draft out. Reduces the instances of "tanking" in a keeper league. www.draftpicklottery.com is a nice tool to use, it allows you to use custom weights. Decide upon your weighting scale at the owner's meeting. Usually all non-playoff teams are put into the lottery. Just like NBA lottery, the most weight is given to the worst team (e.g. 12th to 7th in a 12 team league would be weighted as: 45, 25, 15, 8, 5, and 2).

Ascending Loss Of Draft Round For Keepers - The first year you keep a player, you lose the pick in the same round you selected your keeper. Each successive season you keep a player you lose a pick in the next round higher than you picked him in.
e.g. If you took Andy Dalton in Round 3 and decide to keep him, you lose a 3rd round pick the next season (instead of a 1st common in many leagues). This really helps in balancing less competitive rosters. Often times, weaker teams are keeping players from lower rounds while stronger teams are keeping players from higher rounds. Generally, the stronger teams will lose more high round picks than the weaker ones. If you keep Andy Dalton for a 2nd season, and you had picked him in round 3, then you'd lose a 2nd round pick. UDFAs count as last round picks in this format.

Proper Roster Limits - Choose roster limits that don't eliminate a reasonable free agent pool. Never have a roster limit that exceeds a backup at each position plus a flex. e.g. If your league plays 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 FLEX, 1 K, and 1 DEF, then your roster limit should be no more than 15 (2 QB, 3 RB, 3 WR, 2 TE, 1 FLEX, 2 K, 2 DEF). Do not use positional limits. If a team wants to carry 1 QB, 5 RB, 6 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, and 1 DEF, then so be it. Owner's should have flexibility in assembling what they feel to be a winning team. If an owner uses the prior example, he/she will inevitably have to place a player on waivers to cover a bye week or risk a loss anyhow, so hoarding has its negatives.

Consider Transaction Fees - Many leagues charge for waiver pickups and for trades. This money is either given as part of the prize pool or to the commissioner for his services. It all depends on how you work it out and what your entrance fee is. Usually big fee leagues, it goes to the commish, small fee leagues to the prize pool. In my experience, it has been $2 per acquired player (e.g. If you trade 2 players for 3, you owe $6).

Scoring - A QB throwing a TD should never be worth as much as a WR, TE, or RB TD. QB's get at least twice as many TD throws per season as skill players get TDs. It isn't equal grounds. Same thing goes for yardage tiers. The goal should be to force owners to create balanced teams, not one-man shows.

Don't consider points boosts for "reserves." While this is a trend, a free 3 to 6 points for having your reserves score more than another guy who had 4 players on a bye week is stupid. You win or lose with the guys you start.

I enjoyed it this year. Thanks all for your participation.

I don't care too much about the trade deadline. If guys want to cheat they can cut a sign each other's players at 3 am regardless of trade deadlines.

Want to make it interesting? No trades, no bench. ????

Some leagues I've seen actually curtail what DieHard just talked about. Mostly custom and not the Yahoo/NFL/Whatever Bullshit Online System leagues that are out there. They have no cuts allowed the final 2 or 3 weeks prior to the playoffs for any non-injured players.

All solid crow. Mostly standard stuff.

But all the leagues in the last 15 years I've been in have trade veto.

Should be standard being the key haha. The only time I consider a trade veto league is if its unanimous, and even then it takes too much time in what is already a very shortened fantasy week now (2 days, basically).

Mahalo.., Would have never expected it 4 weeks ago with a losing record.., Got lucky on the waiver wire..,

I think I only had 2 guys on my final starting roster that I started the season with.., Got hot at the right time..,

Good game SPFD.., A J Green scared the shit out of me.., Wish Cinci would have won tho.., Fuckin Denver..,

Thanks to the Commish.., It ain't an easy job..,

Mahalo.., Would have never expected it 4 weeks ago.., Got lucky on the waiver wire..,

I think I only had 2 guys on my final starting roster that I started the season with.., Got hot at the right time..,

Good game SPFD.., A J Green scared the shit out of me.., Wish Cinci would have won tho.., Fuckin Denver..,

Thanks to the Commish.., It ain't an easy job..,

I usually complain about how our receivers like Wilson won't lay out for a ball and I'm jealous about receivers like Green doing so that I see in highlights. But yesterday, there was one he very well could've caught if he had just gone for it. I didn't understand it and was also frustrated because I knew that the Bengals were going to lose when he didn't catch that.

I usually complain about how our receivers like Wilson won't lay out for a ball and I'm jealous about receivers like Green doing so that I see in highlights. But yesterday, there was one he very well could've caught if he had just gone for it. I didn't understand it and was also frustrated because I knew that the Bengals were going to lose when he didn't catch that.

Yep.., That one in the endzone.., Thought sure he had it..,

I was wondering why he let up on that play... he clearly dropped his speed thinking that the play wasn't going to him, and then he ended up behind the ball. 

Archived