Alex Smith wants big money

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flacco has just as many SB wins as manning and Brees.

Flacco beat Brady in the AFC title game twice, severely out playing him.

Flacco out played Manning in 2012 playoffs

Flacco beat Brees last time they played

Flacco's team beat Manning's, Brady's and Brees' teams.  Flacco scored more points versus their defenses than they did vs  BAL's.  Are you really trying to tell us Flacco is worth the same money as them?  

He's trolling gang.  BUZZ!!!!!  Nice try.  Thank u for playing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys... been a few...

So... regardless of what anyone else thinks, the current market for 2nd Tier QBs is around 18 - 19 mil/year with top Tier being around 25 mil/year+...

Alex is a winning QB, and unfortunately, better than anything else out there.  He knows it, his agent sure as hell knows it, the coaches know it, I'm sure Clark is aware of it.

If we let him play out, and we have to tag Alex next year, his tag number will be around 22 mil for one season.  If we tag him the year after, it's a 20% bump.  If we can sign him now to something as cap friendly as we can, he'll go for around 18.5 / 19 mil which we could extend over a 5 year contract, and back load it with a solid guarantee to make him happy...

Starting QB talent with playoff wins are hard to come by... it wasn't Alex's fault we lost to the Colts last year...

I am hoping some deal gets done unless Dorsey and team feel like we have the next big thing being developed and ready to go in a year or two...

This would be a good year to develop players behind the Donkey juggernaut I hate to say...

Maybe you should all really look at the contracts instead of posting off the top of your heads.

Maybe you should educate is rather than just criticizing us. Post what you are about. You probably know those contracts better than us, but that is not evident from your posts.

Again- try read the contracts before talking about them.

Flacco won a SB- same as Rodgers, Brees, Manning

So by this logic, Flacco is better than Marino was. Come on man, Flacco does even deserve to be in the same sentence as the top 5 QBs. You know that. Please.

So... regardless of what anyone else thinks, the current market for 2nd Tier QBs is around 18 - 19 mil/year with top Tier being around 25 mil/year+...

Alex is a winning QB, and unfortunately, better than anything else out there. He knows it, his agent sure as hell knows it, the coaches know it, I'm sure Clark is aware of it.

If we let him play out, and we have to tag Alex next year, his tag number will be around 22 mil for one season. If we tag him the year after, it's a 20% bump. If we can sign him now to something as cap friendly as we can, he'll go for around 18.5 / 19 mil which we could extend over a 5 year contract, and back load it with a solid guarantee to make him happy...

Starting QB talent with playoff wins are hard to come by... it wasn't Alex's fault we lost to the Colts last year...

I am hoping some deal gets done unless Dorsey and team feel like we have the next big thing being developed and ready to go in a year or two...

This would be a good year to develop players behind the Donkey juggernaut I hate to say...

Solid post. Hard to argue this.

Alex is a winning QB, and unfortunately, better than anything else out there.  He knows it, his agent sure as hell knows it, the coaches know it, I'm sure Clark is aware of it.

If we let him play out, and we have to tag Alex next year, his tag number will be around 22 mil for one season.  If we tag him the year after, it's a 20% bump.  If we can sign him now to something as cap friendly as we can, he'll go for around 18.5 / 19 mil which we could extend over a 5 year contract, and back load it with a solid guarantee to make him happy...

I would I agree with this if I truly knew Alex was solidly established in the second tier of QB.  I'll roll the dice and take my chances after next year.  Yes the sticker price might rise, but so will the cap.

Lol.  don't knock it til u tried it.

You are absolutely right, Mongo.  An egg on a REAL cheeseburger is incredible.  I'm talking a huge 3/4 lb burger of real 100% grass fed beef on a home made bun, with grilled onions, real pickles, and high quality cheese, not some shitty commercial cheddar slice.

When I was in college in New Orleans, there was a place called Maple Hill restaurant uptown near the campus of Tulane.  I used to go there to get what they called the "Borscht Burger".  It was as described and could keep me happy for a week.  Like a lot of places in N.O., it came with a side of red beans and rice, made the correct Louisiana way.  That was a meal and a half.  You couldn't really eat it without yolk running out on your hands at some point. I used to save my money to go there.  Of course, in New Orleans, food is art.  And a lot of the people there are people-and-a-half.  Its better to die young than live without eating like that.  Then follow it up with chicory coffee made with milk, like at the French Market.

People have such short memories.  Remember when we were a talented team with a crappy QB?  We had no chance.  The QB's who can lead you to victory are so few and so valuable, you HAVE to pay them big money. Alex Smith did wonders with our team in the first year. He is smart, a leader, accurate, super careful, doesn't give up the ball, and won us 11 games.  Whatever it takes to have a top tier QB, we simply have to pay.  The quickest way to make me give up on the Chiefs is to go back to the days after Trent Green.  I never want to deal with that again.  Do you think the Chiefs were really worse than the Broncos overall, or was it Manning?  I say it was Manning.  Until we know we have a guy who does what Smith can do, we have to keep him, no matter the price.  And if we do find a young guy that good, we are going to have to pay him that much in a few years, anyway.  Get over it. It is good old capitalism.  Supply and demand.  The demand is high and the supply is low.  That means the price is very high.  Period. This whole idea of deciding if he is "worth it" is irrelevant. The market determines whether and how much a quality QB is "worth it".

GREAT POST BIL! You speak the truth. Look guys, Alex is a winner and he can make the plays that HAVE to be made. When it is 3rd and 7 and we are down by ten, he will get that first down 90% of the time with his arm or his feet. You can take it to the bank. People get so caught up in the stats, arm strength, and other things but, the reality is that's all about winning and making the plays that have to be made. I really like what Alex brings.

GREAT POST BIL! You speak the truth. Look guys, Alex is a winner and he can make the plays that HAVE to be made. When it is 3rd and 7 and we are down by ten, he will get that first down 90% of the time with his arm or his feet. You can take it to the bank. People get so caught up in the stats, arm strength, and other things but, the reality is that's all about winning and making the plays that have to be made. I really like what Alex brings.

Yeah, those ratings have to do with long passes.  Sure, they are exciting.  But getting the sure first down and continuing a drive is just as valuable in the end, because it tires the opposing defense, and that pays off in spades in the fourth quarter.  It just doesn't get represented as well in those fancy QB statistics.  But it is every bit as valuable to the team's fortunes.  Keep the other guys' defense on the field.  Make 'em work.  Make 'em tired.  Then you win when you have to.  All those late offensive heroics we showed last year.  Was that just providence?  No.  It was because Smith could move the team at will against a tired defense.  Pay the guy, and pay him big.

I'm certainly a believer. He put to bed the weak arm thing to which I crucified him for. He threw some beauties in the playoff game. He's a winner. Took a loser and gave them confidence. We need to sure up the secondary and we can still challenge the broncos.

Yeah, those ratings have to do with long passes.  Sure, they are exciting.  But getting the sure first down and continuing a drive is just as valuable in the end, because it tires the opposing defense, and that pays off in spades in the fourth quarter.  It just doesn't get represented as well in those fancy QB statistics.  But it is every bit as valuable to the team's fortunes.  Keep the other guys' defense on the field.  Make 'em work.  Make 'em tired.  Then you win when you have to.  All those late offensive heroics we showed last year.  Was that just providence?  No.  It was because Smith could move the team at will against a tired defense.  Pay the guy, and pay him big.

Funny, Joe Montana scored well on those stats without having a big arm.  So did Steve Young.  It has to do more with proficiency than distance.  Al just wasn't a proficient passer for a majority of last season, or for a majority of his career for that matter.

My memory of the post Trent Green years is in tact.  However, I'm not going to assume our B- QB is the real deal and champion a huge contract because I really, really want to believe he is better than that.  It has yet to be proven.

Just because Al is far away better than the post-Green dreck isn't saying much when you are comparing to Matt Cassel, Tyler Thigpen and Damon Huard.

Funny, Joe Montana scored well on those stats without having a big arm. So did Steve Young. It has to do more with proficiency than distance. Al just wasn't a proficient passer for a majority of last season, or for a majority of his career for that matter.

My memory of the post Trent Green years is in tact. However, I'm not going to assume our B- QB is the real deal and champion a huge contract because I really, really want to believe he is better than that. It has yet to be proven.

Just because Al is far away better than the post-Green dreck isn't saying much when you are comparing to Matt Cassel, Tyler Thigpen and Damon Huard.

Here we go again...Chiefs over pay unproven player. Nothing becomes of it and we can't afford a proven player when they become available. Guys, HE HASNT PROVEN SHIT IN ONE SEASON. Let's see how he handles a difficult schedule and much better defenses.

Why is everyone so desperate to sign him? It's like we're willing to settle instead of waiting to see what he really would bring to the table.

Why not just give him an incentive laden contract like Kapernick's? I'm not desperate to sign him. We can have him the next three years for sure if we want to. You can now franchise players twice. It just costs a lot the second time. However, he proved quite a bit to me. He definitely did enough to earn a new deal. We won two games the year before and picked first in the draft. Reid, Dorsey and Smith turned this thing around. Alex was a big part of that. I like the idea of consistency and stability at the QB position. I hope he is around for a while.

Montana's and Young's are extremely rare and hard to find. It's hard for me to understand where you are coming from. It's hard for me to understand who else you think you are going to get?

All I am trying say is that the Chiefs and their fans haven't seen a quality qb since Montana. Who knows if someone better will become available, but I just feel like signing Smith smells of desperation because we are so desperate once we see anyone resembling a qb.

All I am trying say is that the Chiefs and their fans haven't seen a quality qb since Montana. Who knows if someone better will become available, but I just feel like signing Smith smells of desperation because we are so desperate once we see anyone resembling a qb.

I have a question for you, Mr. Ev.  Are you willing to watch or support a second rate, mediocre, or losing team for another two, six, or ten years in order to plan and wait and hope to draft or obtain that brilliant QB, and then hope that he loves KC so much that he will be willing to stay here contract after contract, even though he can become king of the universe in a big media city?

Maybe you are.  Maybe you are young and full of optimism and have forever.  I'm not.  I was around for "Lenny the Cool" and went to every home game in 1969, watched and celebrated as we won a Super Bowl with him. He was no better than Alex Smith.   They were very similar.  Brains, heart, just enough skill, and still more brains.   I am a 66 year old fart.  I want to see our guys in red win like that again in my lifetime.  I want to follow a team that is in the running.  I don't want to wait around then draft a Ryan Leaf.

Why not just give him an incentive laden contract like Kapernick's? I'm not desperate to sign him. We can have him the next three years for sure if we want to. You can now franchise players twice. It just costs a lot the second time. However, he proved quite a bit to me. He definitely did enough to earn a new deal. We won two games the year before and picked first in the draft. Reid, Dorsey and Smith turned this thing around. Alex was a big part of that. I like the idea of consistency and stability at the QB position. I hope he is around for a while.

Montana's and Young's are extremely rare and hard to find. It's hard for me to understand where you are coming from. It's hard for me to understand who else you think you are going to get?

Really the truth is Al doesn't have it.  He never has.  Al is not a SB QB.  He's closer to Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson than he is Montana and Elway.  I've tried to humor you.  Al Smith is NOT a SB QB unless, UNLESS, the team fields a superior unit around him.

They don't have it.  This team is .500.  Do not burden yourself with another big contract to an OK QB.  

You were all duped.  You all insisted the Chefs feed you a competitive team.  You were fed cotton candy.

The Chiefs have wasted their time and draft resources with Al Smith and this season will be proof of it. 

Al is not a Super Bowl winning (as if he can WIN the Super Bowll) QB.  He can show up for a portrait.

Guest Brother Rick

Trent Green was a very good QB. The Chiefs could've reached the SB with an above average defense.

Trent Green was a very good QB. The Chiefs could've reached the SB with an above average defense.

They might have.  But u have to rmbr the offensive unit around Trent Green.  He had the best TE in the history of the game.  He had the best OL of the decade.  He had one of the decade's best RB -- one of the smartest RB, who knew how, exactly, to use to his world class OL. Trent had an offensive minded coaching staff, on top of their game, at the time.  Sadly, the defense was garbage. 

Al just might be a better QB than Trent.  But, he doesn't have the toys.  The defense is far better, and yet, they really aren't close.  

And, sorry, Al really isn't coached by a cutting edge, superstar offensive minded coaching staff.  Andy Reid is still running WCO, and that is stale.

I have a question for you, Mr. Ev. Are you willing to watch or support a second rate, mediocre, or losing team for another two, six, or ten years in order to plan and wait and hope to draft or obtain that brilliant QB, and then hope that he loves KC so much that he will be willing to stay here contract after contract, even though he can become king of the universe in a big media city?

Maybe you are. Maybe you are young and full of optimism and have forever. I'm not. I was around for "Lenny the Cool" and went to every home game in 1969, watched and celebrated as we won a Super Bowl with him. He was no better than Alex Smith. They were very similar. Brains, heart, just enough skill, and still more brains. I am a 66 year old fart. I want to see our guys in red win like that again in my lifetime. I want to follow a team that is in the running. I don't want to wait around then draft a Ryan Leaf.

Well, considering the Chiefs are a second rate middle of the road team, I don't think we have a choice. I'm sorry to be so negative but the fact is we had a cake schedule last season with an ok qb. Smith is not the answer yet, maybe he will prove me wrong this season but giving him a huge payday is just franchise suicide at this point. Talk about putting all your eggs in a mystery basket...sheesh.

Well, considering the Chiefs are a second rate middle of the road team, I don't think we have a choice. I'm sorry to be so negative but the fact is we had a cake schedule last season with an ok qb. Smith is not the answer yet, maybe he will prove me wrong this season but giving him a huge payday is just franchise suicide at this point. Talk about putting all your eggs in a mystery basket...sheesh.

Who Dares Wins

tell me one improvement option the Chiefs had or have in the last 2 years that they realistically could of made and afforded that does not qualify as a Mystery Basket?

Really the truth is Al doesn't have it.  He never has.  Al is not a SB QB.  He's closer to Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson than he is Montana and Elway.  I've tried to humor you.  Al Smith is NOT a SB QB unless, UNLESS, the team fields a superior unit around him.

They don't have it.  This team is .500.  Do not burden yourself with another big contract to an OK QB.  

You were all duped.  You all insisted the Chefs feed you a competitive team.  You were fed cotton candy.

The Chiefs have wasted their time and draft resources with Al Smith and this season will be proof of it. 

Al is not a Super Bowl winning (as if he can WIN the Super Bowll) QB.  He can show up for a portrait.

First of all, winning the Superbowl is hard as hell. Yes, I am happy to be relavent again. We never made it to a Super Bowl in the 90's but they were great in my opinion. I'd love to win or even play in a Superbowl but I guess I see the big picture.

The irony is that you seem to want to to draft a first round quarterback and you think it will be pie in the sky. This just in... Alex Smith is a first round quarterback and was a number pick. My point is that you it doesn't matter how you get a QB as long as you get a good one.

The NFL is about winning period. If we had used that second pick on Geno Smith and not traded for Alex, we would be in a world of shit right now. Who would we have gotten to play QB man? Thank god we have people who know what they are doing. Andy Reid specifically wanted Alex Smith and he got him. The chemistry is there man and we are on the right track.

Who Dares Wins

tell me one improvement option the Chiefs had or have in the last 2 years that they realistically could of made and afforded that does not qualify as a Mystery Basket?

They Chiefs mismanaged themselves into this mess from years and years of bad decisions. Now, we don't have the option to become better faster. Like always, we're left taking a shot on a player, and I say again, Smith is a gamble plain and simple.

Let me be clear though...there are no other options and it sucks. So I see why it seems obvious on the surface, but my gut says we will be having this same conversation about a different player give years from now. At least the Chiefs are consistent at something...not being a winner.

Archived