Alex Smith wants big money

Really the truth is Al doesn't have it. He never has. Al is not a SB QB. He's closer to Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson than he is Montana and Elway. I've tried to humor you. Al Smith is NOT a SB QB unless, UNLESS, the team fields a superior unit around him.

They don't have it. This team is .500. Do not burden yourself with another big contract to an OK QB.

You were all duped. You all insisted the Chefs feed you a competitive team. You were fed cotton candy.

The Chiefs have wasted their time and draft resources with Al Smith and this season will be proof of it.

Al is not a Super Bowl winning (as if he can WIN the Super Bowll) QB. He can show up for a portrait.

First things first, Elway didn't win a SB until they built a team around him, remember he lost 3 SBs. Secondly a Smith led team was two muffed kicks away from the SB.

He played well enough to go but his team let him down. Is he great no, but niether was Rypien, Williams, Dilfer, or Johnson. Marino, Fouts, Stabler, Kelly, Moon, Jurgeson were all good enough to win but never did.

Can Smith lead this team to a SB and win? You bet he can but not on his own and no QB has ever done it all their own.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know why, because this kind of negative stuff isn't really important that much to me.  I have loved the Chiefs since 1969 and will always be a fan, and I have hopes for, and good reason to respect, the current regime.  But for some reason, this kind of attitude toward the team expressed mainly by Mongo  really bums me out.  I would really like to enjoy this season.  For that reason, I am going to do something really drastic.  I'm going to unfollow this topic.  I would recommend the same to all those who agree that being a Chiefs fan is worth more than the anger that someone feels over not winning a championship in a long time. :rolleyes:

There is a button at the top of this page that says "unfollow this topic".  With a simple click of a button, anyone can join in the sentiment and return to the world of blissful non-obsession with the negative attitudes expressed here.

You go ahead a stick your head in the sand Bil. You have a B-/C+ football mind anyway. :-).

My question is. has mongo liked or approved anything the chiefs have done? I can't think of one positive thing. Besides maybe, jamal charles is a great back. but andy is gonna ruin that.

You go ahead a stick your head in the sand Bil. You have a B-/C+ football mind anyway. :-).

My question is. has mongo liked or approved anything the chiefs have done? I can't think of one positive thing. Besides maybe, jamal charles is a great back. but andy is gonna ruin that.

:)

The answer is yes, I've liked a great many things.  Nobody wants to discuss those things for long.  Start a post about how great Tony Gonzalez was.  I'll contribute.  It'll be dead in a week.

I championed the drafting of DJ, Justin Houston and Brandon Flowers.  I was a big fan of drafting Jamaal Charles although I confess I never saw his whole potential.  I liked last year's signing of Sean Smith and Mike DeVito.  Believe it or not, I have high hopes for John Dorsey.  I'm just not ready to call him a savior, until he saves something.

What has there been to like this off season?  I liked the draft.  It offers little immediate help, but I agree with the philosophy.  Otherwise the Chiefs were picked apart.

Honestly in the last 5-7 years what has there been to get excited over?  The Chiefs have been a floundering NFL franchise since 1997 with a few token, one and done playoff appearances.

I don't believe Alex Smith will be the answer in KC.  Same with Andy Reid.  If that offends you, too bad.

The answer is yes, I've liked a great many things.  Nobody wants to discuss those things for long.  Start a post about how great Tony Gonzalez was.  I'll contribute.  It'll be dead in a week.

I championed the drafting of DJ, Justin Houston and Brandon Flowers.  I was a big fan of drafting Jamaal Charles although I confess I never saw his whole potential.  I liked last year's signing of Sean Smith and Mike DeVito.  Believe it or not, I have high hopes for John Dorsey.  I'm just not ready to call him a savior, until he saves something.

What has there been to like this off season?  I liked the draft.  It offers little immediate help, but I agree with the philosophy.  Otherwise the Chiefs were picked apart.

Honestly in the last 5-7 years what has there been to get excited over?  The Chiefs have been a floundering NFL franchise since 1997 with a few token, one and done playoff appearances.

I don't believe Alex Smith will be the answer in KC.  Same with Andy Reid.  If that offends you, too bad.

No offense.  It's just the inter webs and making light of the situation.  

With all your post I've read, I couldn't for the life of me figure out how you could subject yourself to being a fan?   Especially with your contempt against Al and Reid.  Not quite sure how you can even enjoy a season til these 2 are gone.

No offense.  It's just the inter webs and making light of the situation.  

With all your post I've read, I couldn't for the life of me figure out how you could subject yourself to being a fan?   Especially with your contempt against Al and Reid.  Not quite sure how you can even enjoy a season til these 2 are gone.

I don't have contempt for either.  They're just overrated by KC fans.  Bleacher report just rated KC's coaching staff 18th amongst 32 NFL teams.  I agree.  Andy Reid is a great guy, but he is a has been coach.  I'd love to see him do well.  I don't think it will happen.

The rest of the world doesn't see Alex Smith in the same light as Chief fans either.  I call BS when someone overrates him.  I don't want the Chiefs to make a mistake overpaying for him until after this season.  Hopefully he proves me wrong.  Hopefully the Chiefs can assemble the kind of team he needs around him to succeed.

I had a great time last season.  I only expected 6 wins.  It was a blast, even though the team was exposed as a "fraud" challenger by season's end.

a few posts back I asked a question but go no response. you clearly are not satisfied with the cast of characters we have in leadership positions now so tell us.. Who would you like leading the charge to the SB?

As I've said, I don't have a problem with Dorsey, per say, but he really hasn't accomplished anything yet.  He did a nice job filling gaps last year.  His 2013 draft looks poor.  This years' looks more promising but TBD.  He has not locked up one single key player this off-season.  At the same time he did not improve the roster, so I expect a step or two backwards.  I'm not ready to cast him aside, but I'm not impressed, either.

Reid is another story.  I preferred Ray Horton at the time.  I always want the "next big thing", not a retread.  I say this knowing full well you could end up with a lemon, but you've got to take that chance.  10 yr+ retreads have a poor track record.  The game passes them by.  They lose their edge.  Andy Reid has not evolved.  He still basically running a 1980's WCO.  He still makes the same poor coaching and clock mgmt decisions he made in Philly that led to his demise.  

we tried the "next big thing" came with  Bill Parcell's endorsement. One could argue that Pioli/Haley were the wrong combo & that is highly possible but after separation neither has proven much. It would be nice to get the next big thing but  I didn't see anyone out there that had the pedigree.  The Team needed to be made whole again and I believe Reid will do that. I also believe it will take someone who takes the cake that Reid makes to put the final icing on it to win a SB. The team was in such disarray it needed a veteran hand to rebuild it. I believe that is where we are for the 2014 season. I am sure Dorsey has his eyes open to see  the next big thing if there IS a next big thing and its clear Clark is willing to make that move  if deemed necessary.

JMO of course.

we tried the "next big thing" came with  Bill Parcell's endorsement. One could argue that Pioli/Haley were the wrong combo & that is highly possible but after separation neither has proven much. It would be nice to get the next big thing but  I didn't see anyone out there that had the pedigree.  The Team needed to be made whole again and I believe Reid will do that. I also believe it will take someone who takes the cake that Reid makes to put the final icing on it to win a SB. The team was in such disarray it needed a veteran hand to rebuild it. I believe that is where we are for the 2014 season. I am sure Dorsey has his eyes open to see  the next big thing if there IS a next big thing and its clear Clark is willing to make that move  if deemed necessary.

JMO of course.

What pedigree did Bill Parcells have?  Or Chuck Noll?  Or John Madden, Joe Gibbs, Jim & John Harbaugh or even Bill Walsh?  No one knew what Jimmy Johnson would bring to the pro game. 

It not unlike the QB position, Chiefs fans want a guarantee and there are none.  Better to roll the dice.

What pedigree did Bill Parcells have?  Or Chuck Noll?  Or John Madden, Joe Gibbs, Jim & John Harbaugh or even Bill Walsh?  No one knew what Jimmy Johnson would bring to the pro game. 

It not unlike the QB position, Chiefs fans want a guarantee and there are none.  Better to roll the dice.

its funny you brought up Jimmy Johnson because I was thinking about adding him to the post.  JJ had won National Championships with Miami  but Saban has too and he sucked. in the NFL.  Jerry Jones had a previous relationship with Johnson and he knew what kind of person he was but even that relationship destructed.  If you waiting for another Jimmy johnson type hire you got a long wait. The Eagles new HC will tell us whether JJ was an anomaly  or not. If the Eagles start wining Divisions & SB's Saban will get another HC offer as well as other future dominate NCAA coaches.  The NFL is the copy cat league.

its funny you brought up Jimmy Johnson because I was thinking about adding him to the post.  JJ had won National Championships with Miami  but Saban has too and he sucked. in the NFL.  Jerry Jones had a previous relationship with Johnson and he knew what kind of person he was but even that relationship destructed.  If you waiting for another Jimmy johnson type hire you got a long wait. The Eagles new HC will tell us whether JJ was an anomaly  or not. If the Eagles start wining Divisions & SB's Saban will get another HC offer as well as other future dominate NCAA coaches.  The NFL is the copy cat league.

The NFL is a copycat league for the 80% of the teams who are clueless.  The Steelers copy no one.  Bill Belichek copies no one.  Other teams, like the Chiefs, attempt to copy them.

BTW:  Tom Coughlin was a college coach too.  There is no guaranteed formula for success, but there are established methods for failure.  Trying to recapture past glory from a veteran coach is one of them.

Sorry no one likes to hear the negatives.  I wish there were none.  I see far too many.

It's a shame this board did not exist 1993 and 1995.  I was a giddy, goofy, rah-rah-zis-boom-bah Chiefs homer.  I'd love to have that feeling again.

Sorry no one likes to hear the negatives.  I wish there were none.  I see far too many.

It's a shame this board did not exist 1993 and 1995.  I was a giddy, goofy, rah-rah-zis-boom-bah Chiefs homer.  I'd love to have that feeling again.

So, in retrospect, were you delusional then like we are all now?  After all, we didn't win a superbowl then, did we?   And if you liked that feeling, then become delusional again and join us.  :lol:

So, in retrospect, were you delusional then like we are all now? After all, we didn't win a superbowl then, did we? And if you liked that feeling, then become delusional again and join us. :lol:

And those offenses were painful. Painful.

93 was a good enough offense although the King goofed by not getting Joe at least one quality WR.  Keith Cash really looked he was going to be the real deal at TE.

95's offense started okay but as the season went on Steve Bono's sphincter tightened.  Still that defense was special.  It won games by itself.  The best Chiefs defense I ever saw.

So, in retrospect, were you delusional then like we are all now?  After all, we didn't win a superbowl then, did we?   And if you liked that feeling, then become delusional again and join us.  :lol:

Those teams were legitimate contenders, smart guy.  :P This one isn't even close.

BTW:  http://espn.go.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/post/_/id/6362/alex-smith-deserves-better-qb-ranking

One general manager told Sando, "There is nothing about him runningwise or arm-talentwise that makes you say, 'Shoot, we have to take this away. But he is better than an Andy Dalton[of Cincinnati] because he protects the ball.'' 

My point exactly

Mongo, people are fine with the negatives but, it is the offseason and we are coming off a great year. You are putting the cart before the horse dude. This is a new year and it really hasn't even started yet. There are a lot more reasons to be positive than negative.

If I remember right, Herm was the anti-Christ to you as well.

It's VERY weird to see mugsy so positive with the Gm and coaching staff.  When this thing started out I kept reading mongo's post thinking is was Mugsy.  

Thats because Herm was the anti-Christ.. the QB Killer

Mongo, people are fine with the negatives but, it is the offseason and we are coming off a great year. You are putting the cart before the horse dude. This is a new year and it really hasn't even started yet. There are a lot more reasons to be positive than negative.

Sorry but I don't rest on past laurels.  In the NFL, if you aren't improving, you're regressing.  The 2014 season started one second after the Indy loss.  I hope Dandy and the boyz feel differently than you.

You go back in bask in the "glory" of 2013.  It was an adrenaline shot to a burned out fan base.  You're happy because KC finally made it to the C+ group.  And that's fine if that's what you're willing to settle for.  I'm not.  Not good enough for me.

Don't tell me I'm negative.  I just want more than you.

So tell me again about Rishaw Johnson.

How do you know we haven't improved? There are a lot of factors involved when you measure improvement. It's not just about the loss and gain of personnel. It's also about chemistry, growth, and experience. Opinions concerning regression or improvement are speculation at this point.

Last year at this point no one was picking KC to go to the playoffs or start 9-0. People were questioning the Alex Smith trade and the free agents we brought in just like you are now.

How do you know we haven't improved? There are a lot of factors involved when you measure improvement. It's not just about the loss and gain of personnel. It's also about chemistry, growth, and experience. Opinions concerning regression or improvement are speculation at this point.

Last year at this point no one was picking KC to go to the playoffs or start 9-0. People were questioning the Alex Smith trade and the free agents we brought in just like you are now.

How do you know they have improved?

Archived