Alex Smith wants big money

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports contract-year QB Alex Smith is asking the Chiefs for "top-tier" quarterback money in an extension.

Hence the reason contract talks are "going nowhere," according to multiple reports. The Bears recently gave Jay Cutler an annual average of $18.1 million, and Smith is both younger and coming off of a better 2013 season than Cutler, all things considered. The National Football Post's Jason Cole tweeted Wednesday that Smith "wanted a deal above Jay Cutler" in January, and Cole "can't imagine that has changed." The Chiefs would be smart to let Smith play one more season under Andy Reid before breaking the bank to keep him. If Smith takes another big step forward, the franchise tag could come into play.

Sorry, he ain't worth it.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You cannot pay Al that kind of money.  The Chiefs will end up renting him for 2-3 years at the expensive cost of 2 R2 picks or grossly overpaying him.  Bad business.

I think the thing should read, "his agent wants." Or his agent started the negotiations at. All of these things start out shooting for the moon. Sometimes they wind up in the stratosphere, sometimes they fall to Earth. I hope AS will wind up in the troposphere - not high enough to where everybody gets burned, but out there enough . . . just enough . . .

So if money isn't so much an issue than what is it????  I am not sure he is worth more than $12m if even than.  I appreciate that we had a great season, but I need another season for the proof.  

Amen.  There's no way he settles for $12M.  The Chiefs will pay for the sins of Ozzie Newsome, who, normally shrewd, got cornered into grossly overpaying Joe Flacco coming off of an SB.  Once that happened the agents of Matt Ryan, Tony Romo and Jay Cutler did cartwheels.  Now Tom Condon is doing them too.  Too many idiots let the market be grossly over set.  Just because A+'s like Drew, Aaron, Peyton and Tom are worth 20M doesn't mean the B's are worth 18M.  The market needs to be corrected but it will take a team will balls to say no.

Will the Chiefs be that team?  I hope so.  Overpaying more than they already have (2R2) will set this team back in the long run.

KC had a good season.  I don't care what the record was the year before.  11 wins were spoon fed to us. We lost to every team we played worth a damn, even at home.  And, another one and done in the playoffs.  The drought continues.  For most of the season Al was ineffective and every statistical measure supports it.  He had a mediocre season and mediocre seasons should not be rewarded with overpriced contracts.

I say let it ride.  See how Al handles some stiffer competition.  Then tag him, if necessary.  In the meantime extend Houston and/or Berry.

Flacco is being paid Manning, Brady and Bree's money, but all he is just a slightly about average QB. I hope I am not typing this same sentence with Smith's name in it next year.

I think a deal gets done 4 years 60 mill. Is that overpaying? A little, but the value is what the market will bare. Personally I would let him play out this year, franchise him one year and then move on unless I could ink him for 12 mil a year. With the new even younger line, he may not survive next year.

I don't know why he would leave. This is the best fit I can think of for him to be successful and prove everyone wrong.

Flacco is being paid Manning, Brady and Bree's money, but all he is just a slightly about average QB. I hope I am not typing this same sentence with Smith's name in it next year.

I think a deal gets done 4 years 60 mill. Is that overpaying? A little, but the value is what the market will bare. Personally I would let him play out this year, franchise him one year and then move on unless I could ink him for 12 mil a year. With the new even younger line, he may not survive next year.

I don't know why he would leave. This is the best fit I can think of for him to be successful and prove everyone wrong.

I just hope we don't cripple ourselves by over paying a player that really hasn't proven anything in KC yet.

I just hope we don't cripple ourselves by over paying a player that really hasn't proven anything in KC yet.

Nice to see not everyone has gulped down the Al-Aid.  Welcome aboard.

If you gave a starving man a McDonald's cheeseburger, he'd probably gobble it up and act is if it was the most delicious thing he ever ate.  I like a good cheeseburger.  I had a sloppy-assed one with an egg, ham and bacon on it last night.  Yum!  

I'd rather have porterhouse steak.

I like the idea of waiting to sign him.  I have never been a fan of signing players too soon.  Alex could get hurt and we would be stuck with his contract.  It has happened before.  Anyway, don't sign him until end of season if he played well, he will have to prove his worth.  If he is too expensive, then throw Murray in.  Lets start drafting QB's and actually using them.  Lets go and get a play maker WR and plan to win games.  The Chiefs need to do this the right way, the old Chiefs way isn't and hasn't worked.  In a perfect scenario Alex plays well and Murray learns, but lets see the proof first.

Nice to see not everyone has gulped down the Al-Aid. Welcome aboard.

If you gave a starving man a McDonald's cheeseburger, he'd probably gobble it up and act is if it was the most delicious thing he ever ate. I like a good cheeseburger. I had a sloppy-assed one with an egg, ham and bacon on it last night. Yum!

I'd rather have porterhouse steak.

Gotta say, I was hesitant to have one of those burgers, but they are frickin amazing.

And no, I haven't gulped down the Al-aid....yet.

Sorry folks, but Baltimore and Chicago let the genie out of the lamp. Now every QB in the league will look at Flacco and Cutler and have a reason why they deserve that kind of money. Niether are worth the money they got paid and now Kaepernick is the next non-desreving QB to get paid top 3 dollars.

I am all for getting what you can get when you can get it but this is getting out of hand. I believe some of these owners are being possessed by George Steinbrenner.

Sorry folks, but Baltimore and Chicago let the genie out of the lamp. Now every QB in the league will look at Flacco and Cutler and have a reason why they deserve that kind of money. Niether are worth the money they got paid and now Kaepernick is the next non-desreving QB to get paid top 3 dollars.

I am all for getting what you can get when you can get it but this is getting out of hand. I believe some of these owners are being possessed by George Steinbrenner.

Unless we get a HOF quality qb, we can't afford giving out a contract like that. We need to worry about getting more talent and offensive weapons before we sell the farm on unproven qb's.

Amen.  There's no way he settles for $12M.  The Chiefs will pay for the sins of Ozzie Newsome, who, normally shrewd, got cornered into grossly overpaying Joe Flacco coming off of an SB.  Once that happened the agents of Matt Ryan, Tony Romo and Jay Cutler did cartwheels.  Now Tom Condon is doing them too.  Too many idiots let the market be grossly over set.  Just because A+'s like Drew, Aaron, Peyton and Tom are worth 20M doesn't mean the B's are worth 18M.  The market needs to be corrected but it will take a team will balls to say no.

Will the Chiefs be that team?  I hope so.  Overpaying more than they already have (2R2) will set this team back in the long run.

KC had a good season.  I don't care what the record was the year before.  11 wins were spoon fed to us. We lost to every team we played worth a damn, even at home.  And, another one and done in the playoffs.  The drought continues.  For most of the season Al was ineffective and every statistical measure supports it.  He had a mediocre season and mediocre seasons should not be rewarded with overpriced contracts.

I say let it ride.  See how Al handles some stiffer competition.  Then tag him, if necessary.  In the meantime extend Houston and/or Berry.

Horrible assessment of Ozzie and Flacco's contract.

Just horrible.

Maybe you should all really look at the contracts instead of posting off the top of your heads.

Flacco is being paid Manning, Brady and Bree's money, but all he is just a slightly about average QB.

Flacco has just as many SB wins as manning and Brees.

Flacco beat Brady in the AFC title game twice, severely out playing him.

Flacco out played Manning in 2012 playoffs

Flacco beat Brees last time they played

Again- try read the contracts before talking about them.

Flacco won a SB- same as Rodgers, Brees, Manning

Archived