Rex said they did not get to replays during game

Rex Ryan unhappy with lack of replays at Arrowhead Stadium in Bills' loss

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Buffalo Bills coach Rex Ryan questioned the number of replays of controversial calls being shown at Arrowhead Stadium during Sunday's 30-22 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs. "That's the first time you don't see any plays," Ryan said after the game.

"I think there's a league rule that you need to usually get to see some. Maybe I'm wrong on that." Ryan elected not to challenge a 37-yard reception by Jeremy Maclin in the second quarter in which the Chiefs receiver appeared to trap the ball against the ground. The Chiefs scored a touchdown on their next play.

"The 37-yarder, I wasn't aware of it because again, I wasn't seeing the video on it, and again, so from my vantage point, I thought he caught the

ball," Ryan said. "That was from my vantage point. Obviously, I would have challenged it if I would have known there was any question whatsoever on a 37-yard play that flipped the game. We were in complete control of that game, and then they threw some balls over our heads. Obviously I

would have challenged [that]."

Ryan did not identify which members of his staff were advising him on replays from the coaches' booth but told reporters that they did not have access to replays on close plays."A lot of times everybody will be up there, but I'm not saying anybody in particular is advising me because it never worked out," he said. "Every decision is my decision, and so it's my responsibility.

"It's not [like] where this guy has that job to do it, or whatever. There's other jobs in there. And if you don't show the replay, then he can't see it, either. So it doesn't matter. If you can't see a replay, then how is anybody up there going to know to challenge or not?"

An incompletion to Buffalo's Robert Woods in the third quarter prompted Ryan to use his first challenge, but it was unsuccessful, leading Ryan to be more leery about using his red flag through the remainder of the game.

Ryan did not challenge a questionable spot on a run by Kansas City's Alex Smith for a first down on the final play of the third quarter nor an incompletion to Buffalo receiver Chris Hogan that appeared to be a catch late in the fourth quarter.

"The Hogan one was a bang-bang play," Ryan said. "I never thought it was gonna be reversed. I thought he caught it, but it's too close to call whether he had it or not, so I was like, I wasn't gonna do it then." Ryan used his second and final challenge two plays later on a fourth-down scramble by Tyrod Taylor that ended short of a first down; he was again unsuccessful.

"At the end of the game, that's my decision, 100 percent to challenge it, for the simple fact that I thought it was game on the line, I knew it was close -- it was close whether Tyrod was in or out," he said. "It looked like he was in bounds. I wasn't sure of where the ball was, but at that time, there weren't exactly showing it on there, so I had to take my chance, and that was my call all the way."

I don't have any sympathy for them because when we played Arizona, Arians knew that he could not challenge the play based upon Kelce's fumble, but he challenged it under the guise of whether Kelce caught the ball. Kelce caught the ball and ran it 12-20 on yards but when they replay, the replay everything. We were going to win that game, I swear.

Chiefs have a reputation...  Rex is probably correct here.

Nope, you and rex are so wrong!

The coaches' booth for both teams includes a standard broadcast truck feed, which is pumped in via the instant replay booth. Even if it was not seen in the stadium, Ryan's team had access to a replay of the Maclin catch on the standard broadcast feed. Between the completion of Maclin's catch and the start of the next play, the Bills had roughly 34 seconds to decide whether or not to challenge the play (by my count). Even if there was a malfunction inside the booth with the broadcast feed, it was probably enough time to access a backup replay of the catch.

As for the rule book, here is the official word from the Game Operations Manual: "Instant replays can be shown at any time during the game, with the selection of plays at the discretion of the home club."

The other rule is activated only when replay is commenced: "If the game is stopped for a replay challenge or review, during the review the home team may choose to show the network feed or the live instant replay 'under the hood' feed, but may not show both. If the broadcasting network goes to a break during a review, the home team is permitted to show a previously recorded version of the play, as long as the play was recorded from the network feed."

Lmao and exactly what would this reputation about?

Teams are obligated to do very little for the visitors, which is why smart coaches have a system in place for assistants to scan the network feed quickly and give an answer to the Head Coach on if they should challenge or not.

Some coaches choose to see the replay themaelves than toss, but Rex certainly isn't that kind of coach.

He had a team chaplain standing on the sideline next to Rex, telling him to challenge or not.

He got stupid ass advice. Sucks for him and he should go back to coordinating because he will never be Belichick.

Nobody in WNY is buying his bullshit, so he's been torched over it.

Lmao and exactly what would this reputation about?

Teams are obligated to do very little for the visitors, which is why smart coaches have a system in place for assistants to scan the network feed quickly and give an answer to the Head Coach on if they should challenge or not.

Some coaches choose to see the replay themaelves than toss, but Rex certainly isn't that kind of coach.

He had a team chaplain standing on the sideline next to Rex, telling him to challenge or not.

He got stupid ass advice. Sucks for him and he should go back to coordinating because he will never be Belichick.

Nobody in WNY is buying his bullshit, so he's been torched over it.

Yep, and they have a talented roster too! Wrong coach for this team. They can be really good in a year or two.

Guest 303Chiefs

Don't they have people they pay sitting in a booth who's only job is to watch the replay on their little screen (not the scoreboard) and call down to the coach?  Yeah....

I could name a few things the Donkey's have a repuatation for.  Let's not start comparing, far less bullshit coming out of KC than Denver.

Yep, and they have a talented roster too! Wrong coach for this team. They can be really good in a year or two.

The Bills will never be a playoff team until they find a QB.

EJ Manuel was a god awful decision and I never saw what they liked.

As for Rex Ryan, also a mistake. Marrone nade Rex eat his shit while in Buffalo and I never got why they wanted to hire a coach that was clearly a downgrade.

The Bills will never be a playoff team until they find a QB.

EJ Manuel was a god awful decision and I never saw what they liked.

As for Rex Ryan, also a mistake. Marrone nade Rex eat his shit while in Buffalo and I never got why they wanted to hire a coach that was clearly a downgrade.

Tyrod Taylor is pretty good so far.

It's a trolling thing...  Apparently some of you aren't up to speed.  

Good one Stubby..    :lol:

Did you guys notice how upset Gannon was about him not reviewing the play.  I honestly think if he had a direct line to rex he would have called him.

And what did he call Kelce??  Totaly called him the wrong name.

I've said this before here, but I was proud that we hurried up in the San Diego game on the big Wilson catch to make sure that they could not challenge it. That would happen to be a clean catch, but too often we moseyed up to the line on plays and had it challenged.

I'm also proud that the home stadium chose not to show replays everywhere for those plays. We've been screwed too many times by bad calls and challenges that went against us when it was questionable. Maybe we lucked out and they didn't intend to not show it, but either way, I'm glad they didn't. We have no obligation to help them out. They have people upstairs to look at it and they have full access.

Plus, Arians screwed us over when he challenged a play that could not be challenged but used a different excuse (challenging that the ball was caught) for challenging it when Kelce ran 7-10 after the catch before the fumble. A replay reviews everything in that replay when they do review it. So the call was that he fumbled it and there was clear possession by the other team afterwards. But that play would not of been able to be challenged based upon the fumble because the whistle was blown first. The play was over. I might be getting something wrong there, but I know the NFL said that it was not reviewable for the fumble by itself.

I don't care if it's "smart of him", I thought that was against the spirit of the rule and if we were screwed on other plays where forward progress could not be made up because of the whistle, they should be screwed for it too.

For example, one of our runningbacks in the Minnesota game scored a touchdown after not being tackled and we couldn't challenge it because the whistle had been blown too early. We had to settle for a field goal instead. If we cannot challenge that because of the whistle, Arizona should not have been able to challenge the play either in their game.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000440408/Cardinals-force-Travis-Kelce-fumble

Archived