Today's throws

Where the hell have those plays and throw been?

That throw to maclin on the TD was the best pass I've ever seen smith throw. The throw to Kelce had some serious mustard on it too. Why in the hell doesn't he do that more? Why doesn't Reid call that more?

Smith really shutting me up.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where the hell have those plays and throw been?

That throw to maclin on the TD was the best pass I've ever seen smith throw. The throw to Kelce had some serious mustard on it too. Why in the hell doesn't he do that more? Why doesn't Reid call that more?

Smith really shutting me up.

I think the line has improved and Smith is trusting it more. Those two things have to happen together. It doesn't matter if the line improves if Smith doesn't trust it and it doesn't matter if Smith trusted the line if it didn't improve.

I was impressed that the line still played well when we had some injuries. I guess that's what happens when people had to replace the starters earlier - they got some experience and depth.

I also think the receivers are running better routes, not simply the playcall but also execution. Sometimes during the losing streak it seemed like it was a little sloppy and it was predictable, a bad combination if you include a bad line and a quarterback who doesn't trust his line.

I do think we were more aggressive this week and last week. It's as if Smith when he got here felt the team needed just smart short passes (which still happen now) but was too slow to realize the team got better, enough to do more. Now, he got it, relatively speaking.

Not expecting the whole thing or him to change, just noting that the team is getting better.

I think the line has improved and Smith is trusting it more. Those two things have to happen together. It doesn't matter if the line improves if Smith doesn't trust it and it doesn't matter if Smith trusted the line if it didn't improve.

I was impressed that the line still played well when we had some injuries. I guess that's what happens when people had to replace the starters earlier - they got some experience and depth.

I also think the receivers are running better routes, not simply the playcall but also execution. Sometimes during the losing streak it seemed like it was a little sloppy and it was predictable, a bad combination if you include a bad line and a quarterback who doesn't trust his line.

I do think we were more aggressive this week and last week. It's as if Smith when he got here felt the team needed just smart short passes (which still happen now) but was too slow to realize the team got better, enough to do more. Now, he got it, relatively speaking.

Not expecting the whole thing or him to change, just noting that the team is getting better.

It's there. He needs to trust it and let go.

He had a good first half against the Chargers and sat on the ball in the second half. Had a good second and third quarters before sitting on the ball a bit in the fourth in this game. Denver was a team game, defense mostly. Lions were the Lions and the Steelers were without Big Ben. That suggests to me that the turn (again, relatively speaking) was from the Chargers game on.

I thought that one and the one against San Diego were pretty good. Of course, Kelce dropped the ball in the Chargers game. I don't blame him, though, given how big the hit was.

Game one against Houston, the throw to Kelce was exactly the same.

That's one of the things that I've like about Dorsey as a GM. This Chiefs team has had some decent depth, not the greatest at times but much better than past Chiefs teams. I remember a Reid press conference in the first season were he said, that's how you get good as a team overall; when you are winning the game, and can play some of your backups thus getting them experience. 

The weather played a big factor into the pass rushes today. Smith, had more time to operate than ever. Buffalo, had 0 hits on him today. He made the throws when he had time. I guess i'll eat my crow from Phata as well.

At least you're getting to see Smith do something good when I said that was how it would be.

The Kaepologists are all but gone, and the most entrenched are scrambling for answers (because eating crow in connection with a player that loses you games is much more bitter). The excuse du jour is, 'Colin Kaepernick was playing with a torn labrum in his shoulder.' That is to say, his non-throwing shoulder. A lot of them expected Blaine Gabbert to come in and fail miserably, but he has outperformed Kaepernick in all three starts, and it wasn't close. Gabbert actually looks like a poor man's Smith, which today would be largely understood as a slight, but perhaps one day might be understood as a compliment instead.

I'm glad you enjoyed Sunday. I'm surprised at how the team could have lost so many offensive linemen for between a few plays and for the whole game, and yet the Bills didn't get any hits on Smith. It almost seems like this team is playing with higher expectations for itself.

Smith has played fantastic in the last two games. Hopefully it continues. Better line play and a commitment to running the football has really helped matters as well.

About the commitment to running the football:

Week 12 (vs. Bills): 37 action plays by Smith vs. 21 from all others

Week 11 (@ San Diego: 35 action plays by Smith vs. 24 from all others

In both of these games, on the final drive the Chiefs called only run plays. The Chiefs have not suddenly become a run-first team. Better line play seems to have made the principle difference.

Smith is playing better BECAUSE the O-Line is MUCH better.

Let's not forget that we have a ROOKIE 3rd TEAM Running Back playing great football as well.

The two facts are not independent....

Smith has always been "this good"....he just needs to have some confidence in his line....

Here is a negative:  If Smith had stood in there a bit longer on that one play in the second half, Kelce came WIDE OPEN down the middle....would have been an easy score as Rich Gannon pointed out....But Smith tucked and scrambled to the right....

As I said last year, the Niners traded the wrong guy....

w

Great team win. Defense got it together in the second half. Ware was a beast. I'm not eating any crow over Smith's performance. Everybody is getting excited because he's finally playing like he's supposed to. There were probably 10-12 QBs that had better days yesterday. I am glad he finally threw the forward pass yesterday. The ball was in the air for 20 yards a couple times. The TD passes to Kelce and Maclin were beautiful throws.  

Great team win. Defense got it together in the second half. Ware was a beast. I'm not eating any crow over Smith's performance. Everybody is getting excited because he's finally playing like he's supposed to. There were probably 10-12 QBs that had better days yesterday. I am glad he finally threw the forward pass yesterday. The ball was in the air for 20 yards a couple times. The TD passes to Kelce and Maclin were beautiful throws.

Nor am I. I'm just saying that he should throw down the field more. He still isn't going to go on a rampage but he can make a couple throws.

Almost all of those quarterbacks have better supporting casts. Let's not start comparing stats. This week, Smith was one of fifteen winning quarterbacks heading into Monday, one of only six league quarterbacks to lead a team to victory against a team with a .500 or better record, and one of only seven league quarterbacks to lead a team to victory against a team with a top-sixteen defense.

"Ten or twelve"... really? Who?

Smith has never had a noodle, the guy threw on ropes at Utah, his problem is mental. He questions his deep and intermediate throws far too often, and settles for checkdowns.

I'm glad he didn't do it this game. I'll take what I can get.

But I don't think he so much questions his ability. I think he believes in his abilities but also believes every quarterback has more risk in certain areas and I think he thinks he's playing smart. But there's no reason to take a normal for a quarterback risk. This week, he bucked that trend a bit. Yes he missed Kelce in the in zone and two of the throws could've resulted in touchdowns if thrown a little better, even though one of them didn't cost us any points because we scored on the next play.

Almost all of those quarterbacks have better supporting casts. Let's not start comparing stats. This week, Smith was one of fifteen winning quarterbacks heading into Monday, one of only six league quarterbacks to lead a team to victory against a team with a .500 or better record, and one of only seven league quarterbacks to lead a team to victory against a team with a top-sixteen defense.

"Ten or twelve"... really? Who?

It was a great game by Smith's standards. As a Chiefs fan, I'm very happy with his play yesterday.

It was a great game by Smith's standards. As a Chiefs fan, I'm very happy with his play yesterday.

For quality attempts and execution, it was a great game by quarterbacks standards. Not Smith's standards. When I say great, I'm not talking about all-time great or purely exceptional, earth shattering; using it loosely but not relatively to him. I'm not going to water down the description of the game due to who he is. The frequency in which he does it already appropriately adjusts the perception of his play and description of his quarterbacking.

Or don't say it was a great game, just say it was a good game. But then don't add the "for Smith" qualifier.

Archived