Today's throws

For quality attempts and execution, it was a great game by quarterbacks standards. Not Smith's standards. When I say great, I'm not talking about all-time great or purely exceptional, earth shattering; using it loosely but not relatively to him. I'm not going to water down the description of the game due to who he is.

He should try those throws at least 3 times a game at the right time. If picked, no worse than a punt.

That's why he pisses me off so much, he doesn't even try!!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For quality attempts and execution, it was a great game by quarterbacks standards. Not Smith's standards. When I say great, I'm not talking about all-time great or purely exceptional, earth shattering; using it loosely but not relatively to him. I'm not going to water down the description of the game due to who he is. The frequency in which he does it already appropriately adjusts the perception of his play and description of his quarterbacking.

Or don't say it was a great game, just say it was a good game. But then don't add the "for Smith" qualifier.

He had a good game ;) Great win.

The whole points is to win and it doesn't matter if it's done by taking care of the ball or by throwing bombs.  The two ugly losses this season, DEN1 and CHI were the fault of the defense or the defensive coordinator.  Smith has done what it takes to win and that's what he's paid to do.  If a few more deep touchdowns combined with a few more interceptions would make some people happier, then so be it, but instead of ragging on Smith all the time, why not suggest who the Chiefs should have gotten in the past three years that would lead to more wins.  Better yet, who should the Chiefs get for the future and how much should they give up for him?

The most famous quote in the world came during a Chiefs game when Montana was the QB and the announcers said and I quote: "Montana is like a surgeon he just cuts you a little here and a little there until you bleed to death" that's the west coast offense. By the way Paul Hackett was the OC at the time.

The whole points is to win and it doesn't matter if it's done by taking care of the ball or by throwing bombs. The two ugly losses this season, DEN1 and CHI were the fault of the defense or the defensive coordinator. Smith has done what it takes to win and that's what he's paid to do. If a few more deep touchdowns combined with a few more interceptions would make some people happier, then so be it, but instead of ragging on Smith all the time, why not suggest who the Chiefs should have gotten in the past three years that would lead to more wins. Better yet, who should the Chiefs get for the future and how much should they give up for him?

Because what you call the defense fault is partially due to being on the damn field all the time because he and Reid are too damn conservative.

Because what you call the defense fault is partially due to being on the damn field all the time because he and Reid are too damn conservative.

True, but when the offense eats a big chunk of the clock by being methodical, the defense is rested and often is allowed to be aggressive with a lead... but the defense is then built up reputation-wise and the offense reduced, called boring despite efficient, sitting on the ball affects the production, it's called going into a shell. I look at the Houston game as an example. We shut the offense down too early, but that was by strategy. We were inefficient with executing a passive burn the clock offense, but burning the clock was the goal. We also shut down a bit the second half of the Chargers game, it's just the Chargers weren't able to get garbage time points.

We need balance. (Though I'd love a great offense to balance out a great defense. :))

According to Arrowhead Pride, Reid cut Peterson out of the play calling and gave more responsibility to Childress the last 5 games.

But Reid calls the plays, so I don't know what to believe.

If Pederson is good with the arrangement, that's awesome. I'm guessing pederson prepares the game plans and does a lot of stuff on the practice field. Childress doesn't strike me as a guy who cares anymore about title or getting another head coaching job. So I'm sure he enjoys calling plays while an assistant handles the grunt work.

I wonder if it's just the running game?

Reid calling plays and when he needs a running play he called Peterson for a regular running play or Childress for a stretch type play. i dunno.

I really find it hard to believe that Reid would give up any of the passing game.

Brady had 227 passing no rushing with 1 TD and 1 INT. QB rating of 72.3 against that D. You got to give Smith credit for a great game. Not by Smith standards but by any unit of measure. Hats off to the O line. They have reached and maybe surpassed average play.

I just remember gun slinging Romo throwing 2 pick 6s. Run the ball, play action and high percentage passes are not the worst way to go. Brady dominates with the short pass. I love what they are doing. Finally a balanced offense and not a WR screen on first and second down.

I've seen some people say that this offense can do well if the line protects... then, someone else says the QB was protected because of the Bills decision not to blitz and because of the weather. How does that change the fact that the offense can do well if the line protects?

I mean, even as an Alex Smith supporter, I had concerns about him completing multiple 30+ yard passes even with protection because of his throw-to-only-where-the-receiver-can-get-it-or-nobody-throws. So that game, regardless of why he had time was a good thing to see.

I'm not crowning him now, just saying he got multiple ones in a non-catchup garbage time game. That's a good thing. In fact, if the line can protect, blitzing would result in fewer defenders in coverage, which helps windows, completions, and yards after the catch.

The Bills played pretty smart defense. Make Smith beat you. And he did. In fact, a coue deep throws against Smith or this would have been a very lopsided game.

I was at the game when Smith got beat deep early. Berry came over and appoligized. Smith beat his chest and said "that's on me". Truth be told, he should have had safety help over the top, but I liked that they were jumping to take responsibility. They are really playing as a unit right now. If we continue to play this way in December, watch out.

The Bills played pretty smart defense. Make Smith beat you. And he did. In fact, a coue deep throws against Smith or this would have been a very lopsided game.

I was at the game when Smith got beat deep early. Berry came over and appoligized. Smith beat his chest and said "that's on me". Truth be told, he should have had safety help over the top, but I liked that they were jumping to take responsibility. They are really playing as a unit right now. If we continue to play this way in December, watch out.

Maybe they should have made Smith not beat them? ;)

"Coming into this game Smith had thrown the ball deep (20-plus air yards) on just 8 percent of his passing attempts."

From a reply on Arrowhead Pride:

"20 yards or deeper: Rivers: 6%, Palmer 13%, Eli Manning: 8%, Brady: 7%, Stafford: 6%

He is going deep as often as most other guys are. With the exception of Palmer and Big Ben."

A lot of these plays cited in the Arrowhead Pride insert are not necessarily air yards. If not, it might be shorter than 20 yards but get YAC. But for this stat, every QB also gets credited for the times it happens to them. But what is Smith's number then if you are not splitting it into air yards? The problem is that neither stat above has both Smith and other QBs listed, just either/or and there's one saying air yards and the other just says 20+ yards. I assume the latter is not just air yards.

It's there. He needs to trust it and let go.

exactly...I also believe the playcalling has changed since the pittsburgh game...not as 'cute'..less shitty screens behind the line of scrimmage..

I haven't checked but it also seems as if the best fullback in the league has been on the field more...smash mouth football..from the sherman tank..

and I think  AS has played well out of the I- formations near the goalline I like this much better than the shotgun plays..

exactly...I also believe the playcalling has changed since the pittsburgh game...not as 'cute'..less shitty screens behind the line of scrimmage..

I haven't checked but it also seems as if the best fullback in the league has been on the field more...smash mouth football..from the sherman tank..

and I think  AS has played well out of the I- formations near the goalline I like this much better than the shotgun plays..

No Charles or DT so less Reid tricky plays. Charles was the offense.

According to Arrowhead Pride, Reid cut Peterson out of the play calling and gave more responsibility to Childress the last 5 games.

But Reid calls the plays, so I don't know what to believe.

If Pederson is good with the arrangement, that's awesome. I'm guessing pederson prepares the game plans and does a lot of stuff on the practice field. Childress doesn't strike me as a guy who cares anymore about title or getting another head coaching job. So I'm sure he enjoys calling plays while an assistant handles the grunt work.

I wonder if it's just the running game?

Reid calling plays and when he needs a running play he called Peterson for a regular running play or Childress for a stretch type play. i dunno.

I really find it hard to believe that Reid would give up any of the passing game.

I don't think there is any doubt something happened...

more FB..more attitude..aggression...

Say what you want about Reid but he is an offensive schemer. In the Bills game, as soon as KC established the run threat with the first scoring drive, Reid was all passing the next drive because he understands that once the run is established, the defense will become very hesitant, which opens the field for passing. And if you can establish a serious run threat as well as a passing attack, you cannot be stopped and that is exactly what happened. The Chiefs offense couldn't get off the field

Give Reid credit

Reid is like everyone else.  When the O looks good and moves the ball, he is calling a great game and has learned to adjust.  When the O sucks, he is predictable and can't adjust to defenses.

Of course, I am in that boat with everyone else also.  Sometimes, to me, he seems like he is a great offensive mind and then other times I am baffled. 

Go figure

Archived